Sign in to follow this  
timk1980

Who wants to play DQ X Offline (PC) in English? :)

Well I would like to help you scour If I could but not sure if I would be a help. I am CS major but I do not got experience with hacking , translating etc , that stuff. I think you got figure out mind of DQ Dev team why do they build files in that way etc there is organization going on just got figure out their flow and you get it.

Edited by Mrbrac

I'm not sure. In theory it should be, but I'm not sure how Tim has it set up anymore. I'm not even sure if all the latest text updates have been compiled into a patch yet - You'll need to wait for Tim to get a proper answer.

I've been doing all updates to the same file uploaded on google drive, so what's at that link is the latest compiled patch

Out of curiosity, does the Dragon Quest X launcher have an option to do a file check? I can read Japanese, but the options menu doesn't show text properly because I don't have a Japanese locale.

Woodus, is there any way we can get this sticky'd, so the translation can be seen by as many fans as possible? It's not perfect, but we did work hard on it, and I'd like to share this with all English-speaking Dragon Quest fans.

@Shentok, I'm sorry for the very late answer, but I don't actually know. Admittedly, Tim and I are not fluent in Japanese, and most of the script was translated by Google - we just cleaned it up, fixed grammar and tried to keep things consistent. In fact, most of the (very little) Japanese I know was learned while working on this patch and my translation patch for Fortune Street Special.

Wait you just use Google Translate, with some cleanup? A while ago, I tried translating the online cutscenes using Google, online dictionaries and if all else failed, Reddit. The problem wasn't translation quality (the quality was actually pretty good most of the time), but the fact that I got the text via that button that copied a web page into a picture, and looking up each Japanese character, then copying it into Notepad one by one. Not only was it tedious, but I would often make typos in the Japanese text because of it. I still have my old files, if you're interested.

Some small things I translated myself, and we also had a few other people who were fluent helping out, but Tim and I were the only ones who stuck around for the long haul. (Special thanks to Mimas, who I think dropped off from directly working on it after a while, but was still around to answer questions.) I still hope to translate the online content as well, but I'm waiting on Tim to figure out some technical stuff and he's been busy lately.

Well, should the online mode turn out to be translatable, I may not have the game, but give me some text, and I could help translate it. I could also resume work translating the online cutscenes, though I'd still have to use that tedious old process. I know you'd probably want someone with the game over someone who doesn't, so I won't bug you about what I can or can't do.

While I do very much appreciate your enthusiasm, I think having contextual knowledge that comes from playing the game is very important to the process. However, I'm not the one to talk to when it comes to recruiting. You'd have to ask Tim. But I don't think we'll be looking for anybody to translate more text until he's done figuring out what he needs to figure out anyway. If you'd really like to help, you should continue looking for ways to play the game. I understand your specific situation makes it difficult, but when it comes to the time you have a job and are earning money for yourself, I recommend you get a decent computer and import the game for yourself. At that point, you are spending your own money, so your parents would have no grounds to keep you from buying and playing the game.

I'd gladly borrow anyone's efforts here on the DQM 3DS projects. Just saying 😧

I'd gladly borrow anyone's efforts here on the DQM 3DS projects. Just saying

If you can send me the text, I can help with translations.

Thanks for the sticky!

No problem, good call :)

For the people that have played the full offline mode- is it worth buying the game for if I don't plan on playing online? Also do you have to have an active subscription to access of the offline portion?

I tried a little bit of the online, and it seemed like a blast, but I just don't know enough kanji to be able to understand much of anything so it was quite frustrating. I think I'd enjoy it more at a later date when I have a wider vocabulary.

Dont need an active sub, the offline will last you at min 6-8 hours, its fun sure, but you can get some graphical lag spikes now and then due to the offline mode being not optimized and untouched since its creation.  Likely because it is supposed to serve as one big tutorial for the true game, the Online mode. 

Everytime I try to open the patcher, it just opens and closes really fast even though I run it as administrator. Any fix around this? I'm on Win 10

You need to run the patcher from the command line

It's still not working. I even run the CMD in administrator mode. It just opens and closes really fast.

Any ideas?

I'll talk to Tim and see if he can help you. I haven't used the patcher in ages, and honestly don't remember where I stored it. When I installed the game on my laptop, I didn't even use the patcher, I just replaced the files with the english ones from my desktop, lol.

I'll talk to Tim and see if he can help you. I haven't used the patcher in ages, and honestly don't remember where I stored it. When I installed the game on my laptop, I didn't even use the patcher, I just replaced the files with the english ones from my desktop, lol.

Sounds good! I started the offline game too didn't get far though

I sent Tim a message a couple of days ago and haven't heard back. Hopefully he sees it and gets to this soon.

What's probably happening is that when you're running the patcher, its finishing and closing the window, not giving you a chance to read the output.  Do this instead.

Go to the directory that has the patcher in it.  But instead of double clicking on the patcher, instead go up to the address bar in the windows explorer window.  Type "CMD" and press enter.

This will open up a DOS prompt.

In the DOS prompt, type the name of the patcher file and hit enter to execute it.

Because you are now running it from an open DOS prompt, the window won't close as soon as it finishes executing and you can read the output and whatever message it might give you.

it gives me the option to update, patch, test, dump. none of the options doesnt work, any ideas?

What's probably happening is that when you're running the patcher, its finishing and closing the window, not giving you a chance to read the output.  Do this instead.

Go to the directory that has the patcher in it.  But instead of double clicking on the patcher, instead go up to the address bar in the windows explorer window.  Type "CMD" and press enter.

This will open up a DOS prompt.

In the DOS prompt, type the name of the patcher file and hit enter to execute it.

Because you are now running it from an open DOS prompt, the window won't close as soon as it finishes executing and you can read the output and whatever message it might give you.