Sign in to follow this  
timk1980

Who wants to play DQ X Offline (PC) in English? :)

Actually when playing the trial I don't remember using my mouse, it was all keyboard or gamepad. But that has been a few years ago now.

Technically there is mouse support in the game but it's very clunky and awkward.

Perhaps you mean on the login window? I'm a bit confused on what you mean. If you could give a few more details I'd love to help.

Ok. Maybe that's the problem, but I've tried to use the keyboard end it does not answer. I will upload a photo later. So you know where I am. Thank u guys. Just can wait to play. And about the patch... Don't really know how to make it work. I've copied the files in the folder as you say in the instructions. And then I click the exe. Is there anything more to do?

I actually haven't played in a while, I don't remember the process for updating or installing the patch. Tim, could you fill in here?

Extract everything into the appropriate folder (Program Files\Square Enix\Dragon Quest X\Game\Content\Data), run the exe, agree to the security prompt, and click "Patch" :)

That was quick lol.

Thank you very much, that worked great. This is the screen where i'm stucked. my keyboard does not work and when I click and hold I can see the character creation screen but when I release the button it goes but to this screen. :( So frustrating.

Sin_t_tulo.jpg

Mouse doesn't work in menus. Bizarrely, it can be used to move your character in the field, though. You should be able to select the character type you want with the arrow keys and the enter key. I recommend you get a gamepad to play though, playing with the keyboard is unnecessarily complicated. An XBox 360, XBox One, or DualShock 4 (PlayStation 4) controller does quite nicely. The XBox controllers are wired only (unless you buy a proprietary and somewhat uncommon adapter for the 360 controller, I think one is coming out for the One controller soon, too), but if your computer supports bluetooth, or if you have a USB bluetooth adapter (which is very useful, as bluetooth is used for all sorts of things nowadays) the DualShock 4 can be used wirelessly. (It can be used wired too though if you prefer.) I personally use a wired DualShock 4, although I'd use it wirelessly if my adapter hadn't been crushed. (A new bluetooth adapter is one of the many things I plan on buying when I get back to work...)

Thanks for all the help you are giving me guys!!! I have my ps4 controller connected and it seems to work properly in the configuration mode, but it doesn't work in the game. Maybe the problem comes from the config menu, but since I don't really know what I'm doing I can really know. X(

Edited by senador_kelly

Thanks for all the help you are giving me guys!!! I have my ps4 controller connected and it seems to work properly in the configuration mode, but it doesn't work in the game. Maybe the problem comes from the config menu, but since I don't really know what I'm doing I can really know. X(

Have you tried DS4Tool? It tricks your games into thinking the DS4 is an XBox 360 controller (and mouse! you can use the touchpad as a mouse with DS4Tool). DQX should work fine without DS4Tool, but it's handy because you'll get XBox controller icons in the config menu and in game, instead of the numbers which can be a little confusing. Even though the XBox icons obviously aren't ON the controller, it's still a similar standard layout.

Also make sure your controller is plugged in before starting the game.

If you are still having trouble, PM me and I'll see if I can help over Skype sometime.

Greetings! 

First of all, more power to you guys for undertaking this project!

Seeing the screen shots of the game translated is great but not being able to actually see it applied in my game sucks.  :ws-slimedead: 
Is it enough to just back up the two .dat0 files indicated in the Read Me (I think it was 15 and 16)? 
Because the excellent GUI for the Patcher said it was complete. I then noticed that there were three DQX launchers (Config, Game, Offline) and two extra files created in the Game folder where the Content folder is.

Running "DQXOffline" as Admin brings up a black screen but then closes out after a few seconds. The same happens with DQXGame. DQXConfig works though but should it still be in Japanese? Launching the game using the official launcher still loads the game fine but it's still in Japanese though.
Also, my noobness kept asking myself if should I still need to be connected through SoftEther VPN if I simply want to play offline using the Offline launcher? I think I read in the previous post that there's no longer need to sign in/log on. 

I hope someone could tell me what I've done wrong and how I could fix this. I haven't tried restarting the computer yet to see if this is required or if it would make it work.  :(

EDIT:

I eventually got it working by experimenting with it after the restart. Although the issue still persisted even after restarting the computer, what I did to make it work is I opened the official launcher first (the Japanese one) and ran DQXOffline.
It came up with what probably was an error pop up (with garbled text because I set back the computer's Date Format to English) which I closed. 
I then tried to connect to my VPN and ran DQXOffline again. A similar garbled pop up came up but after clicking the single button it had, it finally loaded the red screen with the options in the top-left in English!!!

Ack, I didn't know that I still need to open the Japanese launcher first. I though that the created exes in the Game folder would take care of the rest. :D

Edited by Lightpost

No, unfortunately you still need to use the Japanese Launcher, as your offline game is tied to the online game. You shouldn't ever manually run DQXOffline or DQXOnline. Run DQXBoot through your VPN, and click the small (blue? I'm in-game right now so I can't check at the moment) button to launch offline mode. You should also use AppLocale with DQXBoot - it's not a huge deal in offline mode, but it's incredibly important for online mode. Without AppLocale, the Japanese IME won't work in game, and some quests require you to type in Japanese. (Which we can help with if you get stuck.)

• Upvote 1

Wait. Is this game a free to play game? I'm confused. And for PC only?

Wait. Is this game a free to play game? I'm confused. And for PC only?

No and no.

The PC version is easiest to set up outside of Japan. It's also the only version for which our translation patch works. But the game is also available on Wii, Wii U, 3DS (via cloud streaming),certain Japanese mobile phones (via cloud streaming), and soon the PS4.

There is a free trial of the PC version that allows you to play the first portion of offline mode and play up to level 20 online using only content from version one (the base game). But the extended offline mode is off limits, and I've heard certain portions of the online story might be off limits in the trial too.

• Upvote 1

Thank you! I will try it out when I get my new laptop. ^_^ 

Currently the project is kind of stuck. Tim has to solve some technical problems before we can move on to online mode.

In the meantime, you can play our latest patch, and if you run across any spelling/grammar errors, or if you find something that isn't translated, take a screenshot and let either myself or Tim know via PM. (Note: some things, such as monster names, haven't been translated as they cause bugs. Be sure to read the Readme included with the patch before telling us we've missed something. We want to know, but some things were intentionally left out until we can fix the bugs.)

You'd have to talk with Tim. I'll let him know to check this thread.

Currently the project is kind of stuck. Tim has to solve some technical problems before we can move on to online mode.

In the meantime, you can play our latest patch, and if you run across any spelling/grammar errors, or if you find something that isn't translated, take a screenshot and let either myself or Tim know via PM. (Note: some things, such as monster names, haven't been translated as they cause bugs. Be sure to read the Readme included with the patch before telling us we've missed something. We want to know, but some things were intentionally left out until we can fix the bugs.)

Im gonna be learning Japanese thru Rosetta stone pretty soon, maybe in 6 or so months, I can assist in the project.  I hope things can move along soon though. 

I should clarify a bit about the issues with translating the online portion. The biggest is simply practical... there's a (very) large volume of content, and updates get pushed down rather frequently, which requires rebuilds of all patches.  To the extent the issue is technical, it's not likely to be solved any time soon, and probably not at all.  Internally, the content is in multiple different files (all packed into those .dat files you see).  Those files have to be updated fairly atomically, and due to how the compression works, that usually means having all of the JP replaced with EN so that it compresses down still.  Now, I *could* replace all text strings with markers like T001, T002, etc, and will probably be what I ultimately have to do... but it makes the process of seeing content in-context in-game that much more challenging.

The other side of the issue is more of a practical one, that I simply have a lot of other things going on in life, and lately haven't really put much time into this. (Sadly)

Well I am thinking about getting into translating games. What does it take to uncompress and compress the dat files. Maybe we can get a svn going for it or get Translation wiki a lot games I saw translated. Had a wiki that had all text uploaded and users could translate a sentence.

Well I am thinking about getting into translating games. What does it take to uncompress and compress the dat files. Maybe we can get a svn going for it or get Translation wiki a lot games I saw translated. Had a wiki that had all text uploaded and users could translate a sentence.

I have a fair amount of tooling for doing all those things... I even have a small web site built for folks to be able to contribute translations (not available to the general public, of course). As I alluded to earlier, the problems aren't really so much technical in nature. For the most part, the things that are technical, have been solved to the extent it can be reasonably expected they ever will be.  Unlike ROM patches, this product is a living and breathing thing, so a lot of what-ifs like hacking the executables and such are largely off the table from the start. The fact that new patches come down every few weeks (or worse) makes any kind of updates like that a never ending fool's errand.

On one hand, it's tempting to think that having a whole bunch of people all just translate a few strings would be a great way to get things done quicker. And, from the standpoint of the reality that people come and go (excepting Erdrick the Hero and myself, I don't think anyone was consistently working on stuff for more than a few days or weeks at most... and even most of my work came in spits and spurts), that's good. However, it also makes a subtle, but critical assumption, that each snippet of text exists in a vacuum.  Of course, that's not the case... for any but the most trivial of story elements, there are multiple NPCs, locations, items, timelines, and other things like "story so far" that all need to be consistent with one another.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to sound overly negative either, I just can't possibly over-communicate the types of challenges at hand at this point.

So presumably first you would have to scour every dat and find where all the text is then change it. But if a patch comes and merges with dat you would need to repatch right for it would be overwritten.

You've basically got it... I've got something of a process to do it in an automated fashion, but you're definitely picking up the idea I'm getting at.