Sign in to follow this  
King Zenith

New Boss Monster Revealed: Jahagoros!?

According to a recent Jump article, Dragon Quest VIII 3DS will feature a new boss monster named Jahagoros.  Here is a snap from the scan:

Jahagaros.png

Siliconera posted this and has the full scan plus news of an upcoming release announcement for a new DQ game in Japan.

Damn. Dude has an 18-pack.

All I can picture now is this guy having an Arnold Schwarzenegger voice.

• Upvote 1

He looks like Mortamor's second form, reskinned to have Rhapthorne's tattoo pattern thing and Corvus' body color.

I'd be interested to hear about how this guy relates to the story.

You know, something did look a little familiar about him. You pointing out Deathmore/Mortamor's second form really hit the nail on the head. That blue on his body reminds me of one of Malroth's color schemes too...

I have a feeling he'll be a post game foe, maybe appearing after the events of the Dragovian people have been solved. That way the rewards you get from the Lord of the Dragovians could be put to use and would help prepare you for what's to come.

I also wonder if this guy is a rival of sorts to Rhapthorne, perhaps as another demon hoping to rule the dark realm.

This looks super awesome!  I am really pumped and hope this game makes it stateside.  I love the surprises and hope there are many more that will be later revealed!

I'm also in a way kind hoping that Ragnar and Torneko who are happening to hang out in Morrie's monster pit arena are able to be recruited maybe as an extra DLC or something.

If I could have Yangus, Morrie, AND Ragnar in the same party, I'd die a happy man.

Does anyone know how party member switching is going to work, now that there are 6 party members?  Are we finally going to make proper use of that wagon or will we have to go visit some sort of Party Planner?

Does anyone know how party member switching is going to work, now that there are 6 party members? Are we finally going to make proper use of that wagon or will we have to go visit some sort of Party Planner?

I think it's the former, KZ. One screen shot from back when the game was first revealed shows all 6 characters together in one place (likely a cutscene), so I assume once Red and Morrie join you can switch on the fly (excluding dungeons were the wagon can't go).

Maybe they will just be, in the rear, and this is the first DQ that allows in-battle party change-ups.  The wagon is rather small for anyone but Trode and the Alchemy pot.  The blubbery blustery prince of Argonia seemed to barely fit within based on his commentary.  Would seem an extra, extra, extra, unbreathably tight fit for the oval heir and companions, along with the pot...man, the stench within would be palpable.

The design aesthetics are definitely reminiscent of Mortamor's second form.  Slightly smaller spikes on the sides, and fewer on the arms, though it's hard to see the elbows.  The head should have more spikes on the sides as well.  The expression and facial features are more comical with this one, almost like he's a trickster-type, rather than the clear and obvious sadist that Morty is.  I mean, Morty's face had those elongated, pointed eyes, deeply set, with brow lines that were clearly in the position of "I hate you," where as this guy is like...yes, look at my face, it's happy, now watch me hug you to death.

Edited by ignasia7

If I could have Yangus, Morrie, AND Ragnar in the same party, I'd die a happy man.

What about Yangus' main squeeze Red too so you have a full party!  Yangus, his woman Red, Ragnar, and Morrie!  A powerful bad-ass team!

Does anyone know how party member switching is going to work, now that there are 6 party members?  Are we finally going to make proper use of that wagon or will we have to go visit some sort of Party Planner?

I'm hoping changing while in battle since the wagon is so small.  Otherwise they would need to get a bigger wagon and maybe get another horse to help pull the wagon.  I'm sure King Troad would have issues with poor Medea pulling the entire wagon... if there is post game content perhaps Medea would be in human form and they would have another powerful horse?

The gameplay video mentioned that they're in the wagon so I don't know how it'll work in places without the wagon.

We know you can switch on the fly at anytime when you have the wagon at least.

The gameplay video mentioned that they're in the wagon so I don't know how it'll work in places without the wagon.

We know you can switch on the fly at anytime when you have the wagon at least.

It'll probably be like 4 and 5 then: allowed to switch party members whenever except inside dungeons and towers with a few exceptions.

Luckily with only 6 party members it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Bar.

Looks cool. Akira Toriyama monster design is always top notch.

I really hope this game comes out here

I'm a little rusty on this game, but one theory of mine is that when Rhapthorne makes his triumphant appearance and the Dark World and normal world make their merge thingy, he will be somehow related to that. Perhaps he was in the Dark World after being sealed away in their by Empyrea and when the two worlds collide, his little domain outside of the little bit of the Dark World that we see surfaces (like a sealed away island).

Another theory could be related to the hero's past. His father was slain, so maybe this guy will somehow be related to that. Possibly the bigger baddy in the Dragovian world, hellbent on wiping out the bloodline of them or something.

A much less probable theory is that the trolls who kidnap the chancellor are under orders by this thing.

A total plot twist would be a new sceptre holder and this is his form.

Maybe this guy is who Marcello went off to become...

Maybe this guy is who Marcello went off to become...

Now that is a very interesting theory, after all Marcello did tell Angelo he would regret saving his life.

Sorry guys, it's Carver.

adnd3s.png

Edited by jamiras843
  • Upvote 3

Very funny!

Demon Lord... Now there's a job that'll get the ladies!

So let me see if my dog ears are hearing this right: DQ8, with an additional boss, and new playable party members, on the 3DS? and it is probably coming to the US now in addition to DQ7?

Plus, DQ7 has Stella ( Edit :No she's not there ), and new jobs, a translation that does not suck, and fresh new gee-whiz graphics for 3DS?

Beats the hell out of my usual dreams, if it's not real.

These announcements could only get better if the games each came with a free puff-puff treatment.

Edited by The Dog of Zahan

So let me see if my dog ears are hearing this right: DQ8, with an additional boss, and new playable party members, on the 3DS? and it is probably coming to the US now in addition to DQ7?

Plus, DQ7 has Stella, and new jobs, a translation that does not suck, and fresh new gee-whiz graphics for 3DS?

Beats the hell out of my usual dreams, if it's not real.

These announcements could only get better if the games each came with a free puff-puff treatment.

Where are you getting that Stella (DQ9's Stella I presume) is in DQ7 3DS? Cause from what I've played and researched about the game she's not present in the remake at all. Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I could swear I saw her in the Japanese trailer months ago, on Youtube. Hold tight, I'll dig into it.

Edit: Nope, total mistake on my part. Still, awesome if it does come here finally.

Edited by The Dog of Zahan
  • Upvote 1