Sign in to follow this  
Red Dragon

Suikoden I review

About 20 years ago, a little known series with a major following was released by Konami for the PSX. It's a difficult to find game, although not like its high-demand sequel. I first played it on emulator, but thanks to PS3's Playstation Store, I was able to get Suikoden I and II for my PS3 under the PS One Classics section. It was a lot cheaper than $70 and $200+ for the games which is about what they ran last I checked for the hard copies. I went back and replayed it "legitimately" when it was on the PS Store.

Graphics - C+. It's tough to grade graphics from 20 years ago. It got the job done, although the castle graphics were weak. The graphics of the Suikoden series generally get the job done. They are solid, not spectacular. It's a PS1 game. I'd put FFVII-FFIX graphics ahead of it. I'd put the graphics slightly below DQVII.

Story and Atmosphere - B+ -  I forgot how good the story in Suikoden I was. I'd put it below II and V, but ahead of III, IV, and Tierknis. Big Boss is corrupted and you have to save the day. What makes it interesting is how all the different cliques fit into the movement. To get the good ending, you have to recruit 108 people - all with their agenda. The characters make the game. Most aren't that memorable, but some are, and in sequels and other games you can go "Hey I remember this guy!" 

Combat and Play Control - B+. The six party system is good. The military battles haven't been perfected yet (Suikoden V), and it uses the old fashion "Rock Paper Scissors" style. The Suikoden experience system makes things a little easy at times, but that's part of having 108 stars and avoiding major unbalancing.

Difficulty - B - Suikoden games aren't difficult in its mainline, but getting the 108 stars is. This is no different than the others on that. Game overs are rare. Save often, and use multiple save spots though to avoid missing a star.

Length - B- - One of the shortest games in the series. I've beaten it well under 30 hours.

Endings - B - Average

Price - A - $5.99 (Suikoden 2 and 3 are $9.99 for PS3)

Overall - B+ - The sum is better than the parts. It's on its own a decent game. Combined with the other games makes it a good game. The timeline for the game is I believe Suikoden IV, Suikoden V (140 years after IV), Suikoden 1 (8 years after V), Suikoden 2 (2-3 years after 1), Suikoden 3 (16 years after 2). A lot of characters overlap within the games, especially from 1-3. Some of the antagonists in one game are a playing character in another game expanding on its depth. An 3rd tier character in Suikoden IV was a main character in I. Some of the main characters in 1 are main characters in 2 as well.

It's a good game, especially for $5.99. I recommend it, and then recommend playing the legendary Suikoden II afterward. 3 is decent (your mileage may vary) and 5 is good, but skip IV.

I remember II & III being excellent.  III's world had a vast 3D landscape with plenty of places to explore, and a lot more realism involved in the cityscape--showing you alleys and backgrounds where it looks like the population of the town might have lived, and such.  III also had 3 different main characters with varying political differences, so it was interesting to play each of their "chapters" before they come together, ala Dragon Warrior IV.

Suikoden IV was where the series lost me, and up until then I would always 100% complete the 108 stars of destiny in each game.  In this game, there's a lot of sailing involved, but it's not like Wind Waker, where it keeps you entertained.  The plot is a little loose and the main characters are pretty forgettable.  I always vow to one day go back to this and finish it, since I'm smack in the middle with about 50 recruits.

If you like this series and haven't yet played Arc the Lad Collection, I'd recommend giving that a show.  The musical score isn't as good, but it's an entertaining play-through with the same ability to load character data into the sequel, just as Suikoden I, II, and III were able to do.

I liked the story in III, but I didn't like the play control. If fire spells are going to be friendly fire, at least let me control the other character in the "pair" attack. That's why I consider III decent rather than good.

If you can find V, I recommend it. I wouldn't pay $70 for it like I see it advertised for on Amazon, but it's a good game for PS2, and an excellent "Prequel" for the Suikoden I/II/III era.

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20421

I loved the original Suikoden...  it was one of the first games I got for my PSX back in the day.  Most of the physical games I've owned have been lost to time, but I think I still actually have it in a box at my mom's house.  Oddly enough, I never played ANY of its sequels.  I actually remember seeing the second one in stores, but passing on it in favor of something else.  Perhaps that was a mistake, as many people see it as the best in the series.

I fondly remember playing this, It was also the only one in the series I played, I loved collecting the 108 Stars and having to make sure to do certain things to keep someone's star. 

Neclord approves of this review!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup::wd_coolslime: 

On a serious note, the Suikoden games are some of my all-time favorites next to Dragon Quest in terms of RPGs. Suikoden II still being my absolute favorite in the series. I keep checking, hoping, one day Konami unveils another Suikoden title and hope it would come over to the Western part of the world.

• Upvote 1

I loved the original Suikoden...  it was one of the first games I got for my PSX back in the day.  Most of the physical games I've owned have been lost to time, but I think I still actually have it in a box at my mom's house.  Oddly enough, I never played ANY of its sequels.  I actually remember seeing the second one in stores, but passing on it in favor of something else.  Perhaps that was a mistake, as many people see it as the best in the series.

Save your copy of I. It's worth a bit of money (much like DQ VII is for PSX).

If you liked I, I HIGHLY recommend II. It takes what was good about 1 and perfects it. It's also a true sequel which you'll soon find when Viktor and Flix among others are back. If you have a saved best ending game from I loaded on for II, then you have a nice surprise at some point in II.

I remember II & III being excellent.  III's world had a vast 3D landscape with plenty of places to explore, and a lot more realism involved in the cityscape--showing you alleys and backgrounds where it looks like the population of the town might have lived, and such.  III also had 3 different main characters with varying political differences, so it was interesting to play each of their "chapters" before they come together, ala Dragon Warrior IV.

Suikoden IV was where the series lost me, and up until then I would always 100% complete the 108 stars of destiny in each game.  In this game, there's a lot of sailing involved, but it's not like Wind Waker, where it keeps you entertained.  The plot is a little loose and the main characters are pretty forgettable.  I always vow to one day go back to this and finish it, since I'm smack in the middle with about 50 recruits.

If you like this series and haven't yet played Arc the Lad Collection, I'd recommend giving that a show.  The musical score isn't as good, but it's an entertaining play-through with the same ability to load character data into the sequel, just as Suikoden I, II, and III were able to do.

If you can find V, I'd give that game a shot. It's my 2nd favorite in the series.

IV bored me to tears and the ending of IV was terrible. I don't remember tons about IV, but I remember saying "That's the big bad guy?" It was like beating the original Dragonlord.......in his first form.