Sign in to follow this  
Liamland

SNES / NES screws

So, buyer-beware, I made a few online purchases last year and then didn't open them until last week.  To my dismay there was a problem with each purchase.

I'm planning on fixing up both, and I just ordered a security screwdriver for the kind of screws that Nintendo uses.  My biggest question is, is there a site people would recommend to get replacement screws, or is Ebay my best bet?

First the small things: I bought a reproduction multi-cart of some Japanese DQ series and a handful of other Japanese roms that were dumped onto a single SNES cart.  This cart was missing one screw.  It seems to play fine, but I want to replace the missing screw to prevent it from being damaged.

Secondly, I bought a used SNES and not only was there a huge broken hole in the side of the plastic case, but pieces of it were placed inside the system in a way that doesn't look like it happened during shipping.

It's my fault for not opening the package right away.  It's difficult to make the argument with the seller on the console, since I bought it in 2014, and just got around to trying to hook it up now.  I'm looking forward to tinkering with the hardware, though, and potentially buying a broken console for parts and replacing the case.  I believe NES uses similar if not the same screws, and I still need to fix up my childhood console.

Use Ebay. I can't find my old Torx driver I got off there, but it's your best bet.

US sellers for those kinds of screwdrivers are pretty cheap too.

I just got my screwdrivers in the mail.  Thanks for the tip on the screws.  I'm looking forward to my first attempt to replace whatever parts have worn out, to fix up my childhood NES console, as well as the repair-work involved on the console case for my SNES.  These will both be my first attempt at fixing hardware, since replacing the motherboard on my old PC tower, around 2003.

Good luck mate!