Sign in to follow this  
Madrigal

Eternal Sonata

This is one JRPG I'm glad that was brought over stateside.

I feel like this is a game that is a tragedy in a sense and yet laced with hope at the end.

The main plot of the game is about real life music composer (and one of my favorite classical composers) Francois Chopin.  It takes place when Chopin is deathly sick and is with his doctor, George Sands his wife and I'm not sure who the other woman is.  While he is on his deathbed he is in his own dream world where everything has a musical name.  The main female character is Polka, a 14 year old girl who is terminally ill but can use magic which in this world...people who are terminally ill can use magic.  She actually represents his late 14 year old sister in real life who died of tuberculosis, so many years later he still laments her passing.

The other two main characters are two boys.

Allegretto is a 16 year old boy who lives in a bigger town not far from where Polka lives.  He lives in the sewer with his younger brother Beat who is 8 years old and loves to take photographs.  Together they survive by stealing bread for themselves and the other orphaned children that live in the sewer.  The boys discuss that everything is so expensive in town except for mineral powder which has medicinal healing properties. So they decide to journey to the capital to ask the count why everything is taxed so much.

Polka is in town selling floral healing powder, but no one wants to buy any. Also people are afraid of her because she can use magic so they fear of getting sick too.  Polka mysteriously meets Frederick and introduces him to her mother and then decides to show Chopin the flowers that bloom at night which are called Heaven's Mirror or Death Lights...depending on the mood of the person.  During that moment while Frederick explains to her that this world including her, is just part of his imagination...she decides to leave Tenuto her village and go to the capital, so Chopin decides to travel with her.

So their journey begins as they meet a variety of characters and get caught up in a plot to enslave the population.  It's an emotional roller coaster of a game as heart warming scenes and tragedy befalls the characters in a hair raising adventure that will give many memorable moments to those who go on this journey with Chopin.

The game also shares real life history of the composure within interludes of the game.

The battle system composes of 3 characters of action oriented and has a light and dark system which depending on the areas will depend on the special skills the character can do.  As the game progresses the system becomes more active and requires more attention.  Lots of game play and extra content.  I would recommend playing this on the PS3 as it has the extra content.   

To me the game is a 10/10 and I would highly recommend anyone who likes cute anime graphics with great story and music to play

Edited by Madrigal
  • Upvote 1

when i saw the topic i thought you have missed spell becuse ther was a game realsed on steam call eternal senia

I've never heard of that game.