Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light - English SEA Release

Trying Droid4x. So far it has hung when

1. First login through Facebook.

2. When selecting English teh first time

3. At 0.1% Download.

Now it seems to be downloading speedilyish, in that it'll take maybe 2-3 minutes to finish this first download.  Stay tuned for the misadventures of Matt!

Update! Made it through the first ("Slime") download, did the connection thing, started the second download ("Box Slime")

Update 2! Made it through the second download, then... "Connecting..." 

...and crashed.

Ran it again.  Data file corrupt. Gotta download again!

Fudge this game and the horse it rode in on.

Edited by The Mystical One

I think probably something in my account went FUBAR and just crashes the game when it gets to that point.  That's the only thing I can think of why it'd do the same thing on two different 'devices.'

Are metal slimes only good for sparring partners? I was hoping for a really strong monster because metal slime is best slime but when I got one from a dungeon challenge it was already max level at level 1 with pretty abysmal stats other than huge defense and agility.

Yes, that's all the metals are good for. That's all I did with them when I dumped dozens of hours into the Japanese version.

Is the save data stored locally or remotely?  I've been having connection issues after closing the app and I was thinking of reinstalling but don't want to lose my progress.

It might be linked to Facebook, but when I looked through the data to find music, I didn't find anything related to saves like other SE titles.

Seems incompatible to my rooted Kindle Fire and in Bluestacks the game keeps crashing during the download of external data. Gonna try droid4x now...

I couldn't find the monster list either after the install on Droid4X that exists in the APK file

Okay..., Droid4X is a much better experience (and it runs my other DQ games flawlessly) but DQMSL just won't work. The problem is identical to Bluestacks - the app crashes while downloading.

I had a hard time with it at work, I had to wait till I got back to the hotel to get it to download properly, and at one point I had to use my hotspot on my phone. It also seemed I had better luck first thing in the morning with it not crashing.

Interesting..., I didn't expect this to be a connection problem (mine is pretty fast and often it crashes at 0%), but I guess I will try this at different times of day then! Thanks for the hint! ;)

Also if you are using Droid4X, for some reason I have to kill the droid4xservice before I start it or I cannot connect. And my firewall was messing with me at first, make sure you check that.

Yes, you can play on multiple devices and it will carry your progress over on each. I play at work on my phone then at home give the Nvidia shield a run on it. Plays real nice on the tablet for sure.

See if you can get on a VPN and update the game that way. Anyplace in SE Asia might be enough to push you over.

I don't have a problem updating, I think my tablet is just going the way of the dogs.

3 cracks and it overheats easily, so...

Anybody figure out why I can't access any of the special quests? Couldn't do the Goo Goo one yeaterday and today I can't access the Beast one. It says "quest no longer available whenever I try.

Anybody figure out why I can't access any of the special quests? Couldn't do the Goo Goo one yeaterday and today I can't access the Beast one. It says "quest no longer available whenever I try.

I used to get that a lot of the Japanese version too. Usually they're open on the weekends.

I used to get that a lot of the Japanese version too. Usually they're open on the weekends.

I haven't had the chance to play this particular game yet, but I have played a lot of games outside of my market.  The reason this happens for daily quests in these sorts of games is that the client shows you quests based on your phone's time and date, but the server actually controls which quests are open.  So if you try to enter them in the North American afternoon, it will already be the next day on the other side of the world so the next day's quest is actually open.

The workaround is to change your phone's timezone which is annoying, or just do them from midnight to 9am or so (depending on your location) when the day is technically the same.

I could be wrong though since I don't have direct experience with this game.

• Upvote 1

All of a sudden it works like a charm! :) I just tried again this morning and it downloaded all data straightaway. I already finished the tutorial and claimed my Armoured Wartoiseâ€. ^^ Will add your friend codes later!

I haven't had the chance to play this particular game yet, but I have played a lot of games outside of my market. The reason this happens for daily quests in these sorts of games is that the client shows you quests based on your phone's time and date, but the server actually controls which quests are open. So if you try to enter them in the North American afternoon, it will already be the next day on the other side of the world so the next day's quest is actually open.

The workaround is to change your phone's timezone which is annoying, or just do them from midnight to 9am or so (depending on your location) when the day is technically the same.

I could be wrong though since I don't have direct experience with this game.

Buy this man a beer!

Thanks for the explanation and workaround. It worked early this morning!

I'll send these on to AerynB to work her magic.  I also found the monster and item lists and stuff, so I will comb over that for new localizations.

If you can dump a list of the monster names out, might as well start a page and monster list for it, then after AerynB goes thru it we can tie it into the Monster Wiki page.

I'll definitely do that, although I am a bit confused by what I am seeing in this monster list.  It looks like it's just the list from DQ8, since it has entries for Bangerz and Mash, Marcello, all of the Dragovian Dragons, the statues of the heroes etc...  Also, the list contains no entry for Thugular.  I wonder if the complete monster list gets populated when you do the in-game download?  I'll check for an OBB file after I do that download later

Yeah, it does look like 8's monster list. And there's only 300 some monsters, where Super Light's Big Book of Beasts has 605 slots. From only a few days playing I've noticed ZapBird's new name is Thunderbird, BoxSlime's name is Box Slime (with a space), and Bad Egg and Rotten Egg seem to have been renamed into Egg Soldier and Mega Egg (I think). What we also need besides an in-game monster list is the Japanese names too, so I can double check the monster across all the previous games. I mean, Thunderbird seems to be ZapBird, but I'll only know for sure when I compare the Japanese name from Super Light to the Japanese name from the Monsters games.

Definitely interesting. Can't wait to see some of these new Monsters 1+2 exclusive monsters get new translations. :)

I also noticed that Baalzack appears to be called simply Balzack in this game:

"Balzack";
"A power-hungry alchemist who pursued the Secret of Evolution, and when that wasn't good enough, went and did it all over again!";

I realized he also goes by Balzack in DQ4, but only in his lesser evolved form.

Oh, right. I saw that too. Makes you wonder who the translators/localizers are. Is it the same team that's been doing all the other mobile releases. Oli chance and Morgan somebody? Are these names gonna be exclusive to Super Light, or will they carry over if the monsters make it into new games?

Yeah, I suspect it's a different team.  This has a different "feel" to it, and the consistency isn't quite there.  I could be wrong, and I would dearly love to know did do the localization.  Maybe we will find out once we locate the rest of the script files, including monster list and credits.

Yeah, I agree the script feels...slightly goofier than the other main series games, but I think that fits the feeling of the game too. I do enjoying playing and reading the script. The tips from the signs and the slimes are sometimes a bit tough to follow, but that's how the slimes have been talking for a while now, so I guess I'm used to it. And that's what makes me think that they've got the same localizing team. It certainly sounds a lot like previous games.

I tried to log in again today. It downloaded (again!) and connected and I got a consecutive login day bonus! Yay! It's working!

Then it does the whole Connecting... thing again (Seriously, why is this done so often?!) and fails to connect and oh, everything is corrupted. &^@#%*