Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light - English SEA Release

This is really getting a western release, right?

I accidentally locked in a Slime.

Considering this is a SEA (( Southeastern Asia )) title... 

Can this topic be renamed "Dragon Quest Monsters Superlight SEA Release?" The GP entry will likely be region-locked, and the FB page... who knows.

Just because it's in English doesn't mean it'll be playable. Anyone ever play Anastonsia Story 2, AKA the Korean (YET FULLY ENGRISH) release of Crimsongem Saga? 

Yep. But I PLAYED THE KOREAN VERSION~ And died inside while doing it.

Pardon my ignorance, but where does it say a southeastern Asia release? SEA is an acronym for Square-Enix of America.

Edited by Cain

SEA truly is an acronym used for Square-Enix of America because the emails I've received about the DQVII fan translation had SEA in them and they came from they North American division.  I wasn't aware Garena was involved with DQM:SL which is why I was confused.

Edited by Cain

I've played a -lot- of MMORPGS.

SEA means "Southeast Asia" for that, in terms of gaming. Maple Story SEA, is an example. as is Ragnarok Online 2 SEA. IP blocks are heavy there too.

It's also typical of a company to do either a good or quick-ass Google Translate Engrish translation, at that, because the languages in the SEA region vary.

This is why I keep banging my head against the wall.

Did the pre-registration not make you guys tilt your head anime-style? It wasn't meant for our phone number structure. This is -not- a western release, nor really an international release.

We'll be able to get an APK of the translated SuperLight app, (which might not run if SE does IP blocks) or MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE be able to play it on FB.

I understand the happiness here, but... plbeh.

I didn't mean to go too crazy on it, but it's sadly true. :|

Thanks KZ.

Mattcraft, you're killing my dreams.

I didn't mean to go too crazy on it, but it's sadly true. :|

Thanks KZ.

Everything you said is true.  My enthusiasm dimmed quickly on that.  But, your mention of the APK is good news.  The Japanese version was fully playable.  I used to have to download a new APK like every 2 weeks since they added so much content to it so quickly, but I played it for a good 8-10 weeks before I moved on.  Hopefully the English SEA version will be equally unlocked and we can all enjoy it.  I'd be happy to drop a few bucks on it to buy some stuff, but if that's not possible, oh well.

If you could play the JP release, the SEA release should be fine.

As long as the APK itself is free, hell, it can be passed around here too.

If you could play the JP release, the SEA release should be fine.

As long as the APK itself is free, hell, it can be passed around here too.

I'm assuming (safely) that it'll be 'freemium'.  The fact they're giving away those crystals (which is what you can buy in game) makes it seem just like the Japanese version.

Well this will also be on facebook as well right? I don't think facebook region locks games.

It seems like it will.

...you know what, the game releases on what day?  July 4, 2015.  July 4 is the US independence day.

Just for reference of the company running it and distributing it, for South East Asian areas, July 4 is also for Liberation Day in the Northern Mariana Islands, and Republic Day in the Philippines.

However, it really IS a very high quality English release, and the English is closer to standard American than it is to The Queen's English.  I just find that intriguing.

Edited by ignasia7

How do you know? From the pre-register stuff?

I'm pessmesstic.

How do you know? From the pre-register stuff?

I'm pessmesstic.

Yes, the pre-register stuff, and the date given on the facebook page for the official release.

Well this will also be on facebook as well right? I don't think facebook region locks games.

Have you tried opening it on Facebook yet? It gives an error message. Not "coming soon" or anything.

Freemium can be done properly. I've seen it firsthand once or twice. Some games require you spend money to get the better stuff like The Simpsons: Tapped Out. The worst are the ones that make you pay to refill your meters to allow you to keep playing. If you think about it, they're almost like the quarter munching arcade machines from back in the day. Except at least there was some prestige at stake in those games and it wasn't some randomly generated puzzle nonsense. Then, of course, there's the outright predatory games like Dungeon Keepers and Final Fantasy: All the Shameless.

Freemium does not mean a game is inherently bad. There's plenty of freemium games that are amazing to free players, but there's also plenty that are horrible to even paying players. (Candy Crush Saga, anyone? Pay to beat this level... and this one... etc.)

All you need for Candy Crush is a lot of free time and persistence. My wife is often at the end and waiting for new levels to come out and hasn't spent a dime.

• Upvote 1

It would be the latter.

Freemium does not mean a game is inherently bad. There's plenty of freemium games that are amazing to free players, but there's also plenty that are horrible to even paying players. (Candy Crush Saga, anyone? Pay to beat this level... and this one... etc.)

All you need for Candy Crush is a lot of free time and persistence. My wife is often at the end and waiting for new levels to come out and hasn't spent a dime.

Basically this. Freemium games mostly work out for me because I play them between work or school and right before bed and after I wake up, so that leaves lots of time for meters or whatever to fill up.

• Upvote 1

Freemium can be done properly. I've seen it firsthand once or twice. Some games require you spend money to get the better stuff like The Simpsons: Tapped Out. The worst are the ones that make you pay to refill your meters to allow you to keep playing.

Fyi, DQMSL is that kind.

Hell, I have a -lot- of $#!& in FFRK, and I haven't spent more than a buck on it.

Freemium can be done properly. I've seen it firsthand once or twice. Some games require you spend money to get the better stuff like The Simpsons: Tapped Out. The worst are the ones that make you pay to refill your meters to allow you to keep playing.

Fyi, DQMSL is that kind.

Doesn't really matter all that much to me. I have the willpower to put my phone down and go about my life while the meters fill up. Love Live is one of those kinds of games and once your meter drains completely it will take another hour to play another song. What makes it bad is that most people who fall into the freemium trap don't have that same willpower and will spend hundreds of dollars to keep playing for a few more minutes.

• Upvote 1

Fyi, DQMSL is that kind.
Doesn't really matter all that much to me. I have the willpower to put my phone down and go about my life while the meters fill up. Love Live is one of those kinds of games and once your meter drains completely it will take another hour to play another song. What makes it bad is that most people who fall into the freemium trap don't have that same willpower and will spend hundreds of dollars to keep playing for a few more minutes.
Me too. I've played this just fine before. I will again.

"Monster Ovolved!"

I chuckled.

That aside, why is the English so detailed for an Asian release? This is why I think it's either going to be a global version, but hosted in SEA, or it's not region-locked but still primarily an SEA game.

English is the language of business.  It is the most prolific language spoken in the world.  Sure, if you look at studies, they infer first languages, where Spanish and Chinese have the largest bases, but English is the largest 2nd and 3rd language, and overall more people in the world can speak and read English than there are people who can read and speak Chinese and/or Spanish.  It's a matter of how you want to look at things.  More schools teach English, as it's the universal language of business, and given the world is becoming less local and more global in terms of trade, one requires a language that is well understood.  Thus, English is the most prolific spoken language the world over, at least for anyone educated.

It also cuts down on costs, as SEA is FILLED with tons of small countries, most of which have their own distinct languages.  Given English, for anyone who went through a proper school program likely learned English, it simplifies this for all the various territories, islands, and countries.