Sign in to follow this  
solo

Games that ruind the series

a copel of days back can't remember who started it but some one said anime ruind castlevania one said castlevania 4 was ther favorit i can aggre that the 4 is the best of the clasics and sotn is the best metroidvania and castlevania los ruind the seris lord of shadows is a good game but noth worthy of being a castlevania game and it maid me think about legacy of kain and about nosgoth it may be a se game but it ruind the entire lok series and i hate se for it they still make good games but i hate when they ruin games for me :(

Edited by solo

Mega Man 7 ruined Mega Man for me. Became too childish after that (especially 8). Which is why Mega Man X was a delightful reinvention of the series.

EDIT:

But of course them making 9 & 10 in NES was perfect!

Edited by hawkeye77o4

Dragon Quest Heroes

b5669d3b98.gif

Evil man.

Crash of the Titans ruined Crash Bandicoot. It was kind of downhill already, but Tag Team Racing was fun. Titans killed it. Mind Over Mutant was an improvement over Titans, but it still wasn't Crash...

Star Ocean 3 really did a number on the series. Especially to the first two games.

Sonic 06. Or was it already on a downward spiral around Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog. Machine guns and heavy metal is the essence of a true Sonic game.

Star Ocean 3 really did a number on the series. Especially to the first two games.

Interesting to hear this, since that game was pretty well received in the states from what I've seen, but I agree.

While I really enjoy Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (3), I don't think it holds a light to the previous two and it was an unneeded addition to a finished series.

Every Final Fantasy after the first ruined the series.

Other M ruined Metroid.

Brawl ruined Smash.

Apparently, anyway.

I pretty much agree, especially with the second one.

Regarding Castlevania...I've been extremely disappointed with probably 50% of the titles, with the other 50% being excellent; there are a few recent ones I enjoy, but yeah, I think there was a turning point somewhere along where they started becoming extremely average games. 

A more controversial claim: Etrian Odyssey IV was a negative move for the series. I've played through the first three (All three of them; I don't agree with people's claims that the second is a repaint of the first and not worthwhile) more than any other games, but I didn't enjoy IV. I've kept away from the first game's "remake" like it's the plague, and I don't expect anything enjoyable out of that franchise in the future.

Edited by Wsewolod

A more controversial claim: Etrian Odyssey IV was a negative move for the series. I've played through the first three (All three of them; I don't agree with people's claims that the second is a repaint of the first and not worthwhile) more than any other games, but I didn't enjoy IV. I've kept away from the first game's "remake" like it's the plague, and I don't expect anything enjoyable out of that franchise in the future.

Wow, yeah, thems fightin words. You know if us video gamers really cared about fighting anything other than Slimes, demons, and various labyrinth creatures.

I'm a huge Etrian Odyssey fan. Played them all 1-4, Untold, Etrian Odyssey Mystery Dungeon (meh), and now the Persona Q crossover.

What specifically didn't you like? I kinda didn't like the shorter dungeons in 4 and the balloons and how you got there at first, but it grew on me.

I'll definitely play it again at some point, but the structure of some of the dungeons, a lot of modern renovations (I'm not an obnoxiously retro gamer, but they still don't sit well with me), and also the music (I won't say it isn't musically-minded and clearly done professionally, but I'm an avid Koshiro Yuuzou fan and some of the "remixes", particularly Scatter About, really put me off). Short dungeons in particular really changed the gameplay experience for me, what with how masochistic and time-consuming some of the earlier ones were (I think the 4th Stratum stratum of the first game involved half a million FOEs that basically start respawning by the time you kill them all to start the stratum boss, and my excursions into the fifth stratum with all of the dead-ends was mind-numbing).

As a side note, have you ever played 7th Dragon? You're evidently a huge EO and Megami Tensei fan, and if you don't have conflicts with emulation there are fully patched versions of the original and the first 2020 I think.

Star Fox was a series with few entries that mustered a lot of claims of ruination; I guess there were the first two-and-a-half (Unfinished roms of SF2) before the weird Zelda-esque Adventures was released; people have railed on this game, but it was received well commercially and plenty of others have cited that it's a fine Zelda-esque adventure game, even if it's a 100% departure from the series in regards to gameplay elements, plot, and setting.

Edited by Wsewolod

7rh Dragon. Spent 10 minutes trying to read reviews of gameplay. Nothing popped up. Can't do much video this month as I'm not in a wifi area, so I'll have to watch some later.

7th Dragon basically has the same party-building and skill setups as an Etrian Odyssey game pasted over a more conventional JRPG setting, with numerous towns, dungeons, an expansive overworld, and, most importantly, FOEs. 

7th Dragon basically has the same party-building and skill setups as an Etrian Odyssey game pasted over a more conventional JRPG setting, with numerous towns, dungeons, an expansive overworld, and, most importantly, FOEs.

So, turn-based battles?

Yeah, the combat is nearly identical, with random encounters everywhere outside of towns and visible FOE's wandering the maps. 

Some of the party possibilities are really nice, and I felt a lot less constrained with experimenting than I did in the EO games.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I was hella mad that 7th Dragon never came out over here. It looked really good.

@ the Etrian 4 thing. I think Etrian 4 was OK. Now, the remake of 1 I can kinda see people's complaints. The Etrian games was always about a party of the players creation crawling around in a dungeon. The introduction of a heavy narrative was a huge shift for the franchise and I can see why people wouldn't like it.

Edited by Fates