Sign in to follow this  
redneckpride4ever

Well I was wrong...

You and everyone else who thought Earthbound, The Last Guardian, and Shenmue were all dead as hell.

This is how I know we're getting a ton of DQ soon. Hell is freezing over, and the pigs have started to take flight.

The next sign will be if the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse go racing through the sky.

Eh, Hell has had so many incarnations since time immemorial.  For some it is this planet.  For others it is a wasteland of nothing.  Yet others, a dark abyss ready to swallow anything, the darkness itself, a living essence with an insatiable appetite, either represented as a spider or a serpent.  For yet others, a world of darkness, chaotic, filled with innumerable dark living, breathing individual essences, each taking any chaotic form to forever torture and devour those lost souls unlucky enough to fall within its pits, or be dragged below.  For yet others, a hellish brimstone of fire and nightmare.  A watery grave of eternal servitude until debts are paid, or perhaps an icy graveyard of frost and biting cold.  Yet others, a nightmarish place of various tortures either befitting the crime, or a world of punishment mete out and decided by a cruel overseer who does not care whether the crime and the punishment are linked, only the suffering ensued.  For yet others, a world of distorted chaos, mirroring our own world...there are almost as many incarnations of hell as there is anything else.

Point being, life is imagination and thought...brought into reality.  It's not just a matter of belief, it's a matter of taking action on those beliefs, but in light of this, each instance can cause an infinite number of changes that branch out to other changes.

In short, there's always the possibility of anything happening.  The only surety is to do nothing and to believe and think of nothing.

Edited by ignasia7

FTOp3.gif

I haven't given Square Enix money for anything that's not a Dragon Quest game in nearly a decade and that trend will continue.

• Upvote 2

It won't be the same without the lego-block styled character sprites.

Edited by Liamland

FTOp3.gif

I haven't given Square Enix money for anything that's not a Dragon Quest game in nearly a decade and that trend will continue.

Like I've always said, there's a lovely second hand market.

I'm sure it's not gonna have the same gameplay and I'd even put money down that the style gets an unwanted polish along the lines of more modern Final Fantasy games. You know, FF XIII and FF XV. Judging from the trailer, I might not even be that far off.

Siliconera said it would happen, and it did. And so begins the greatest turning point the Internet has ever seen. May God have mercy on our souls.

Kinda wish they kept ff7 shelved and never looked at it again. it's the only final fantasy game that I hate and no amount of remaking it will change that. Because then they would have to make Cloud a likable character.

Kinda wish they kept ff7 shelved and never looked at it again. it's the only final fantasy game that I hate and no amount of remaking it will change that. Because then they would have to make Cloud a likable character.

They really need to stabilize WHO Cloud even is, since he's never consistent.

FTOp3.gif

Like I've always said, there's a lovely second hand market.

Indeed.

• Upvote 1

There's something hypocritical about saying, "I'm not gonna give money to SE because I don't like them. ...But I still want to play their games so I'm gonna buy it used and give money to GameStop or Best Buy or Walmart instead." You can't really call it a strike if you're trying to find a creative loophole around things.

Does anyone care anymore? All the credit the fans kept giving them seems to have vanished with the last generation. FF fans, DQ fans, and fans of their other RPGs. Nobody is happy with them and no one trusts them to make a good game anymore. The nostalgia is over and people have a sour experience now. Even besides that, will the game even fulfill the hype? Highly unlikely because of how critical fans are regarding Final Fantasy.

There's something hypocritical about saying, "I'm not gonna give money to SE because I don't like them. ...But I still want to play their games so I'm gonna buy it used and give money to GameStop or Best Buy or Walmart instead." You can't really call it a strike if you're trying to find a creative loophole around things.

No there's not.

If I like the product itself and there's a legal method of not funding them, I'm all for it. That's called smart. It is not a genuine loophole when the only goal is to deprive the developer of funding. I never said I would not play their other games

I just beat FF9 last year with a second hand copy instead of a PS3 download that I would have otherwise preferred.The SOLE purpose is to deprive the developer of money.

Its called having your cake and eating it too. It's actually a better, wiser way of doing things.

It's also depriving the game's developer of the money, not just Square Enix. Crystal Dynamics isn't the ones holding back Dragon Quest, so why punish them for it? Morally speaking, you have a leg to stand on when you're striking and, as such, depriving yourself of something you'd otherwise want. A strike is not about having your cake and eating it too. That's literally what a hunger strike is all about. But instead, you choose to circumvent that entirely and get the game used. "You made a good game, Crystal Dynamics. It's just too bad Square Enix published it! Oh well!"

If I like the product itself and there's a legal method of not funding them, I'm all for it.

It really pisses off the company, too. Remember Microsoft's DRM? (That's still there, but in a different form.)

Also, if it's microtransaction laden (and it will be) get your used or pirated copy and send them nickels and dimes in the mail.

If I like the product itself and there's a legal method of not funding them, I'm all for it.

It really pisses off the company, too. Remember Microsoft's DRM? (That's still there, but in a different form.)

Also, if it's microtransaction laden (and it will be) get your used or pirated copy and send them nickels and dimes in the mail.

This worked in the past, but they're putting on digital watermarks now that attach a piece of software to an individual who owns it, or a specific system.  It makes it difficult to pull this off.

After I purchased a new 360, after my previous one burned out, I had to go to MS, change my gamer-tag to this system, or I couldn't download any of the DLC I had already purchased.  Heck, I couldn't even download free DLC, as the game was registered to my old gamertag, which was tied to my old system.  So I don't know if I would've been able to download even pay-for DLC, and have it work for those games, as they were tied to my gamertag.

I had three options.  1) Transfer my old gamertag.  2) Declare my existing games as part of my new gamertag, and have MS erase my old one, in which case all my cloud saves would be deleted, along with achievements, and I'd have to repurchase all DLC, and any DLC that I DID already own, that was tied to my old gamertag, that they took off for new gamers, but allowed to be continuously downloaded by people who initially purchased it (yes MS did this before steam), I would have to give up forever.  Or 3) play without DLC.

So this is kind of going by the wayside.  I'm sure there are ways around it still, but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep track of any pirated piece of software.  I'd be especially wary with 8.1+ and the upcoming 10.

It's also depriving the game's developer of the money, not just Square Enix. Crystal Dynamics isn't the ones holding back Dragon Quest, so why punish them for it? Morally speaking, you have a leg to stand on when you're striking and, as such, depriving yourself of something you'd otherwise want. A strike is not about having your cake and eating it too. That's literally what a hunger strike is all about. But instead, you choose to circumvent that entirely and get the game used. "You made a good game, Crystal Dynamics. It's just too bad Square Enix published it! Oh well!"

The problem here is that it depends on the scenario.

Hunger strikes aren't usually about food quality.  Sometimes they are, but usually they're about general conditions in a prison or school, or conditions suffered by other people that a group wishes to gain traction about, by doing something dangerous that is likely to get attention.

The problem with the notion of not buying, or buying second-hand, is that either way, both get hurt.  Publisher and Developer.  The only element involved is whether you're being a purist, and simply avoiding games, or if you want to enjoy those games, but still do the hurting.  The same result and same outcome is present for both SE and CD either way.  There is one thing though.

Used sales are counted, at least by certain elements in the used market.  Such as Gamestop.  They do keep track of used game sales.  This is one reason why Gamestop does deals with certain companies for "wanted" games to be released as new, but pretend to be released as "used" because they used a middleman to purchase the game from the producer.  Providing a legal loophole to allow obviously new copies of say...a certain Metroid game...a certain Xeno game...and a certain Dragon Quest game (there are others, but these are a few examples) to be sold at used prices, or whatever Gamestop believes the market will bare.

This means that in buying used by certain vendors that do keep track, or through mediums for vendors that do keep track and stats (like Amazon and Ebay), you ARE letting both SE and CD know their game is popular, but something is wrong, or there's an issue.  Meaning in the act of buying used, you're actually affecting the market in a positive way by indicating there actually IS a market for said game.

However, in not buying a game at all, you're effectively stating there is no market, never has been, never will be.  That is indicative, not that gamers take issue with something about a particular company, but that said game has no marketable value, and thus future releases will skip certain territories.  However, this IS positive in one way.  If there's a consistent lack of sales period, of any other game but a certain series, than it does increase the chance that said series will see more love.  This is both good and bad, as you've effectively killed the other series in the process.  It would be confusing to see demand pop up for a game that people boycotted by not purchasing at all.

Now, there is another element at play.  Getting traction for, and connecting a reason to, the behaviour.  If the lack of DQ is the spur in the foot that triggers this customer reaction, SE would have to be made clearly aware this is why.  It can't just be willy-nilly, as even if there is a mass exodus, there would be no correlation, and thus no change in the direction one would want to see.  Of course, this is less needed if the only direct, new purchase is of the desired games, and not of the undesired.

Just note that this is dealing with a completely different form of business.  It's entertainment.  So the approach has to be seen as distinct from say, a hunger strike.

There's also a uniqueness to a hunger strike...it's one way, and only one way.  Either you eat or you don't.  There's no "magically absorb food particles in the air" to sustain a person during the strike.  As a result of this, some institutions will forcefeed people, either through the nose or anus, a rather unpleasant and supposedly painful way to ingest food.  This is usually kept quiet unless the movement has already gained enough traction for news outlets to demand interviews.  Often this appears years later.

Essentially, while both are to promote a cause, to trigger a certain affect or change, the other elements at play are so unique I think it rather unfair to compare the two.

Eh, Hell has had so many incarnations since time immemorial.  For some it is this planet.  For others it is a wasteland of nothing.  Yet others, a dark abyss ready to swallow anything, the darkness itself, a living essence with an insatiable appetite, either represented as a spider or a serpent.  For yet others, a world of darkness, chaotic, filled with innumerable dark living, breathing individual essences, each taking any chaotic form to forever torture and devour those lost souls unlucky enough to fall within its pits, or be dragged below.  For yet others, a hellish brimstone of fire and nightmare.  A watery grave of eternal servitude until debts are paid, or perhaps an icy graveyard of frost and biting cold.  Yet others, a nightmarish place of various tortures either befitting the crime, or a world of punishment mete out and decided by a cruel overseer who does not care whether the crime and the punishment are linked, only the suffering ensued.  For yet others, a world of distorted chaos, mirroring our own world...there are almost as many incarnations of hell as there is anything else.

Point being, life is imagination and thought...brought into reality.  It's not just a matter of belief, it's a matter of taking action on those beliefs, but in light of this, each instance can cause an infinite number of changes that branch out to other changes.

In short, there's always the possibility of anything happening.  The only surety is to do nothing and to believe and think of nothing.

Final Fantasy threads, everyone.

Final Fantasy threads, everyone.

I don't quite get it...

Well I will definitely be getting the FF VII remake and Kingdom Hearts III.

And be part of the problem!

I can't fault anyone who played KH 1 and 2 who wants to play 3. You guys have been waiting for this for a decade.

• Upvote 1

I can't fault anyone who played KH 1 and 2 who wants to play 3. You guys have been waiting for this for a decade.

Absolutely true!

Yes, I just want to play them 3 because of the reason you just mentioned.  I also have been wanting a remake of VII ever since they did that tech demo teaser in 2005.