Sign in to follow this  
ignasia

What do you think SE will unveil tomorrow, at the e3 conference?

6 potential unveils for SE...  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It will be announced sometime after e3 or before Pax Prime.

You're going to be saying the same thing 10 years from now, aren't you?  :(

Edited by Mr. RPG
  • Upvote 1

That was very underwhelming. Not just for DQ, but just... in general. A couple of good announcements, but other than that, eh.

I'll keep hoping until the year ends, as I said, but I'm thinking of importing soon anyways.

• Upvote 1

Could we be looking at a mobile release of 7 out west only?   Given 1-8 are being ported to mobile as it could be considered as 1 large project to SE.

Thus they are able to justify the cost to translate 7 as 1-3 (cost little to translate as they aren't that big of a game)  4-6 and 8 already have recent translations thus they would already be making $$ from those 7 games.

Well Dragon Quest 1's hero was in the Final Fantasy Worlds trailer wasn't he? Or was that some FF character that looks eerily similar?

It will be announced sometime after e3 or before Pax Prime.

You're going to be saying the same thing 10 years from now, aren't you?  :(

Agito was released almost 4 years late.  There's Tales...however, from my knowledge and recollection, DQ7, if it was being worked, which I believe it to be, given I trust those initial insider statements, and all were consistent, it would be about finished by now, especially if they've been working on it in between other games.

Point being, there's always hope.  I do think we'll see a DQ7 release this year though.  Heck, no one even knows when FF7 will be released.  Could be next year sometime, two years from now.  I'd wager it was already in development since SE has had a number of major teams open for work, or working on undisclosed projects, for about a year now.

There's also Tales of Graces in the past, and Earthbound, and now Shenmue 3 has hit and surpassed, in two days, the needed money for its kickstarter (damn Sony for not just taking it up, since they should know Shenmue's fanbase is bloody HUGE, though it is a good thing they used the stage to promote, when it's bloody hard as heck to get any info these days given how MUCH info there is to sort through).

Here's something to consider.  Life is based around how you see it.  Literally.  What you think will happen, will happen.  If you believe that you will, or fear that you might get sick, you'll get sick.  If you think you'll be a fat slovenly piece of trash that no girl would want, this is what will happen.  If you think you're an alpha male, you'll be one.  If you think you're a sexy and beautiful woman, you'll trigger the thoughts and necessary outcomes to generate that reality.  Thoughts, emotions, actions, all in sync, define reality.

The mind itself is like a radio tower.  It actually projects whatever thought you have into the world.  Whether you can pick this up consciously or not is irrelevant, you will pick it up unconsciously.  Thus people have a sense when someone is behind them, or paying close attention to them, without knowing WHY they're picking this up.  Dog's know when they're owner is coming home hours before their owner arrives, while on the road, from a random trip they couldn't possibly know the date of, due to lack of direct communication and conceptualization of the concept of time and dates, and because it is not a standard day to day operation of going to work and coming home at a usual time.  It's the same thing when a family member feels a pang of pain, then thinks of a family member, only to get a call that said family member was hit by a car, or fell off their horse and broke a leg, or was shot or succumbed to a disease or illness.  Or the reverse, a happy and fanciful positive thought about someone, and their face pops in your mind, only to be called by this individual.  The thing is, science is proving that existence itself is frequency.  Different measures of frequency allow atoms to shift, move, combine, and exist in different formations.  Even to exist at all.  All thought is frequency.  All colour, all sound, and everything electronic.  This universe is built around the perception of what is, and what is, and the structure of it, is built on a subset of specific and finite rules that allow these relative frequencies to determine specific shapes, colours, sizes, etc.  Much like analog TV's convert a frequency to colour and sound, in various intervals, that form a moving picture.  Much like Digital converts everything into a basic binary structure of 1's and 0's.

If you really think and believe that SE will always screw up, then you'll act in accordance with this, and the more people who think and feel this way, the more likely either they'll not attempt to do anything about, and the more likely SE will come to the conclusion this is true, because subconciously, they're picking up on the notion that everyone who is a fan of DQ automatically expects such a scenario is already the case, and will act accordingly.  I'm not saying one has to take hope, and get our hopes up, what I'm saying is, as a group, to change the circumstances, we ourselves must change our attitudes and platitudes.  Myself included, as I've become a bit negative of late, and I am changing that.  It is a sense of expectation, and according belief that change is happening, and for the better.  With that the resulting actions necessary to enact that change in a more realistic and substantive way.

One thing that always vexed me is how easily we give up and just foment and whine.  Myself included.  Has this ever worked for anything?  No.  It has the opposite effect, doesn't it?

Anyhow, I know we will get DQ7.  I know we will get DQ7 3DS.  I know we will get DQX.  I firmly believe this to be true.  I will continue to believe this to be true, and I will continue to post as such.

I know, this sounds like hogwash, but consider that matter itself is both a wave form and a solid form.  The wave and solid acting independent, and simultaneously.  That only when perceived and "witnessed" is the material form even present, and shown.  Otherwise, it is always a wave form.  This suggests an externalized conscious, and it proves that everything is frequency and perception, built on a simple super structure that allows any expression of existence to form within the bounds, based on fundamental laws that govern this allowed absolute form of matter as material when viewed, based purely on what you wish to perceive and actually believe to be there.  No doubts, absolute convictions only.  Mindset is built around what you think is true and want to be true.  Doesn't change that there is empirical truth, since without as much, the basic structure as presented would not exist, independent of the mind of the observer.  Much like a computer simulation, where you can define elements within the bounds and scope of that universe, only with greater control for each user.

Yeah, I know, not quite the discussion for this, but anyhow, DQ7 will come out.

I know once DQ Heroes comes out I'm buying a PS4, then I'm buying the remake of FF VII and then Kingdom Hearts III.

The other games I'm not too concerned about. I may buy Tales of Zenistra and the other one coming out.

All we can do now is continue to wait.  I can't wait to see the videos of DQ VIII 3ds posted online.  It looks like if any of us really want to enjoy DQ VII we will have to play it on the PS One or learn Japanese...

I really think one day soon an indy gaming group will come forward and will take the reigns of good old fashioned JRPG making and cash in on this niche group if SE doesn't step up on this side of the realm.

Well Dragon Quest 1's hero was in the Final Fantasy Worlds trailer wasn't he? Or was that some FF character that looks eerily similar?

You're thinking of the Warrior of Light from Final Fantasy 1 and the Dissidia games:

http://www.thegamingvault.com/uploads/2008/12/wol.jpg

All we can do now is continue to wait.  I can't wait to see the videos of DQ VIII 3ds posted online.  It looks like if any of us really want to enjoy DQ VII we will have to play it on the PS One or learn Japanese...

I really think one day soon an indy gaming group will come forward and will take the reigns of good old fashioned JRPG making and cash in on this niche group if SE doesn't step up on this side of the realm.

I wonder if Square-Enix just doesn't see the handhelds (3DS and Vita) worth their time outside of Japan.  Mobile really put a hurting on dedicated handhelds (the 3DS is on track to end up with half of the original DS's sales while the Vita is going to be lucky to do a quarter of the PSP's sales).  The down tick in 3DS sales has to count for something.  Handhelds peaked with the DS/PSP generation and took a huge hit with the 3DS/Vita generation because of the rise of iOS/Android.

I think had DQ 7 been giving a console remake (say Wii U or PS3/PS4) it might have been an easier "sell" in SE's eyes.  I'd liken it to why we never got Final Fantasy Type-0 on PSP.  SE didn't think the PSP market in NA was worth the investment but were willing to release the game on home consoles (PS4 and XB1) and PC instead.

Still I wonder why a digital download option for the 3DS couldn't work.  Many niche PSP games that would have never been released at retail have been able to profit on PSP/Vita digital releases.  

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty

Could we be looking at a mobile release of 7 out west only?   Given 1-8 are being ported to mobile as it could be considered as 1 large project to SE.

Thus they are able to justify the cost to translate 7 as 1-3 (cost little to translate as they aren't that big of a game)  4-6 and 8 already have recent translations thus they would already be making $$ from those 7 games.

Mobile market makes it a justifiable, and almost a guaranteed no.

While I can't track iphone sales, Android reviews almost quadruple iPhone reviews, which suggests that more Android users have purchased DQ games, by a rather substantial margin.

DQ8 = 10~50k sales, android, likely 3~10k sales on iPhone

DQ5 = 1~5k sales, android, likely 300~1,000 sales on iPhone

DQ4 = 5~10k sales, android, likely 1~3k sales on iPhone

DQ3 = 5~10k sales, android, likely 1~3k sales on iPhone

DQ2 = 10~50k sales, android, likely 3~10k sales on iPhone

DQ1 = 50~100k sales, android, likely 10~30k sales on iPhone

The only two jumps in sales I've seen, since I checked three months or so back, are DQ's 2 and 1.  DQ8 hasn't budged from the 10~50k since a month after releasing, and that demonstrates something about the mobile market, despite all the "top 10 mobile games you should check out" lists, which haven't proven to move games even an inch, as not enough people pay attention to such lists.

If you think MMO's are saturated, please look at the uber casual mobile market.  People who play these games tend to prefer cheap, very cheap, simple, and short.  Especially cheap.  The only number changes I've seen for 4, 3, and 8, were when they went on sale.  That's it.

The culture and mindset of most mobile gamers is different from Japan, but this is mostly cultural and related to how much time we spend at work.  They spend a LOT more time.  Have a LOT less free-time, so mobile was adapted far more readily, and with it the less casual crowd.  Thus numbers are higher in general.  That and DQ is well established, due to long-standing and carefully promoted games...but we all know this story.

Unless SE is absolutely insane, DQ7 mobile will be a flop of epic proportions.  Most gamers will not buy it just because it's on mobile.  They would feel insulted.  Not everyone would, but many would.  Myself included.  I'm hardly in the minority.

Even FF releases have slowed down CONSIDERABLY since their initial releases, as have other games like CT, which has stayed in the 50~100k range since almost a week after releasing.  Hell, they never marketed the game either, so I'm surprised at such high sales.

To pull off a localization, and to justify the costs, SE has to think short term first, since mobile is technically long-term, though to be successful, it means promotions over that long-term.  Subtle, and correlated promotions with other games that are new, and through news letters about sales, discounts, and subtle promotions to point towards said game that has been sitting there for awhile.  Since if sales aren't consistent up front, they won't stay on the top of lists when people search for games.  Thus sales drop dramatically, as there are at least another 100,000 competing entries for a gamer's attention, and usually cheaper and simpler, thus more appetizing for someone who wants to take a 5 minute break.

For all that SE is, stupid on this level is not one of them.  No, they'll either release both or nothing at all.  Since their up-front costs for localizing, and main profit will be from those who will only buy the 3DS version.  I'm pretty sure they're aware of this, regardless of their lack of support for the 3DS, in spite of the overwhelming install base compared to any other system currently on the market...by a factor of 3, from the next largest install base of a current gen system.

Sure, 100k sales would generate more up-front profit at a lower sale number for DQ7 for the same price point, but per sale of a cartridge, the cartridge cost is not like old NES/SNES/N64/NeoGeo cartridge costs.  They are MUCH cheaper comparatively.  Not quite CD/DVD/Proprietary digital disc cost, but pretty close.  I'd say for a 49.99, a range of $30~35 in revenue per sale, 5 for the physical elements, $0.5 ~ $2 for distribution, and the rest for the retailer.  Point being, to make the same profit for a non-physical copy, as the costs for all production and shipping is built into the cost of the game, would probably be in the 30~35 range.  I would argue there is no potential possible universe or future where DQ7 mobile would generate remotely close to the profit as DQ7 3DS would.  Not.  Remotely.  Close.  Since they would have to price it to justify the desired profit margin and overall sales goal.  This is mobile, a format when even an FF release sees virtually no fanfare.  So why would they bother with a DQ release?  There's a better chance for a good market campaign and overall higher sales numbers, resulting in substantially higher profits in general, through a 3DS release.  After that, mobile would be paid for, and all it would produce is pure profit, at a lower cost, meaning they could ginny up higher sales overall due to association with the 3DS title, as a different medium to experience it on.

You're thinking of the Warrior of Light from Final Fantasy 1 and the Dissidia games:

Damnit...

To be fair, that's a pretty easy mistake.  I mean, at a glance he looks a lot like Erdrick, and I wouldn't be surprised if the original DQ1 art inspired Amano's vision of the Warrior of Life from FF1.

Damnit...

To be fair, that's a pretty easy mistake.  I mean, at a glance he looks a lot like Erdrick, and I wouldn't be surprised if the original DQ1 art inspired Amano's vision of the Warrior of LiGHT from FF1.

fixed.

I wonder if Square-Enix just doesn't see the handhelds (3DS and Vita) worth their time outside of Japan.  Mobile really put a hurting on dedicated handhelds (the 3DS is on track to end up with half of the original DS's sales while the Vita is going to be lucky to do a quarter of the PSP's sales).  The down tick in 3DS sales has to count for something.  Handhelds peaked with the DS/PSP generation and took a huge hit with the 3DS/Vita generation because of the rise of iOS/Android.

I think had DQ 7 been giving a console remake (say Wii U or PS3/PS4) it might have been an easier "sell" in SE's eyes.  I'd liken it to why we never got Final Fantasy Type-0 on PSP.  SE didn't think the PSP market in NA was worth the investment but were willing to release the game on home consoles (PS4 and XB1) and PC instead.

Still I wonder why a digital download option for the 3DS couldn't work.  Many niche PSP games that would have never been released at retail have been able to profit on PSP/Vita digital releases.  

Well handhelds have advantage of mobility and everything, but I still don't think when it comes to good ole fashion console that it can really hold a candle to the console gaming experience as far as games such as VIII and VII go.  Some games are fine on handheld, but some have much more potential to be tapped into and as you can see with the remake of VIII, that graphically it's not as nice as the PS2 version.  I'm pretty sure that SE NA probably thinks just as you mentioned.  I think we will see DQ VII on mobile before or even if we get it on handheld here.

Guys, I got some news, apparently square enix presents on youtube did a segment about dragon quest heroes today around 5:30 pm or 6:00 pm eastern time. It's just 4 people talking about it and trying out 2 demo levels, and the healslime's name is "Healix." So square enix didn't forget about the game for e3, it's just that it wasn't spotlighted that much in the presentation.

Went to the stream and rewinded a bit, and yeah, they did!

I'm the type of gamer that wants to play everything on my big, beautiful HD television with surround sound and gorgeous graphics over playing a game on some rinky-dink handheld with a tiny ass screen lol.

Not that I don't like handhelds but away from the house I'm usually at work or out somewhere (movies, dinner, bar, and so on) so even with handhelds I don't really play them "outside the house," which kinda defeats the purpose...  I'm sure the vast majority of North American/European gamers are the same hence the strong Xbox/PlayStation presence among the Western gaming community.  I think Square-Enix feels the same way.  Handhelds lost a lot of their importance in the smartphone/tablet era.  

There will always be people that prefer to game on handhelds over phones (me included; I wish everything was ported to Vita for example) though.  But that wasn't really my argument.  I'm inclined to believe that Square-Enix doesn't really feel like Dragon Quest 7 is worth publishing on a handheld in North America for the exact same reason Final Fantasy Type-0 never saw a PSP release in North America.  Had this game been a Wii U or PS3 game I think it would have been translated and released years ago.  

I admire those who cling on to hope but it's been over three years now (and just as many E3s).  SE just doesn't think it is worth the risk.  They are clearly mobile-focused these days.  There has been a crapload more investment to mobile platforms over either handheld these last couple of years.  Back during the DS/PSP days all these mobile games would have been DS or PSP titles.  Heck they released/announced like what, four or five mobile Final Fantasy games within the past year or so?  Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, Mobius Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy Legends, Final Fantasy 7 G-Bike, and Final Fantasy The Record Keeper all spring to mind...  Hell Final Fantasy 7 was even announced for iOS today!

If SE thinks it wasn't work the risk, they would come out and say its not coming out west for 3ds and mobile and end it there but they have yet to do that.

If SE thinks it wasn't work the risk, they would come out and say its not coming out west for 3ds and mobile and end it there but they have yet to do that.

Did they ever say that with Type-0 PSP though?  I mean DQ 7 launched almost two and a half years ago.  E3 is the time for megaton announcements, even if they are years off.  Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced in 2013 and won't be out until at least 2017.  Final Fantasy 7 Remake was announced yesterday and probably won't be until 2017 or 2018.  A Dragon Quest 7 announcement would have been a huge announcement, even if it's an entire year out.  Dragon Quest Heroes was announced for NA release something like nine months prior to its release.  How do some of you guys continue to believe some mass conspiracy that SE is on purposely keeping us in the dark with DQ 7?  SE is notorious for announcing crap that we won't play for years haha.

Like I always said I want to believe but SE hasn't shown even the smallest amount of interest in the game.  If they can announce Star Ocean 5 (it is 5, right?) is getting released sometime next year in English why can't they do the same with DQ 7?  If they can show Final Fantasy 15, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Final Fantasy 7 Remake two or three years in advance at E3 why can't they do the same for DQ 7?

Hell SE announced some game today that they barely started working on lol.  Their final announcement was a game that they only had production art for...  It didn't even exist as a CGI trailer at this point.

I also think the game isn't coming out for mobile outside Japan either.  The localization of the text is probably too expensive and SE deems it is not worth their time, hence they don't talk about it.

Did they ever say that with Type-0 PSP though?  I mean DQ 7 launched almost two and a half years ago.  E3 is the time for megaton announcements, even if they are years off.  Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced in 2013 and won't be out until at least 2017.  Final Fantasy 7 Remake was announced yesterday and probably won't be until 2017 or 2018.  A Dragon Quest 7 announcement would have been a huge announcement, even if it's an entire year out.  Dragon Quest Heroes was announced for NA release something like nine months prior to its release.  How do some of you guys continue to believe some mass conspiracy that SE is on purposely keeping us in the dark with DQ 7?  SE is notorious for announcing crap that we won't play for years haha.

Like I always said I want to believe but SE hasn't shown even the smallest amount of interest in the game.  If they can announce Star Ocean 5 (it is 5, right?) is getting released sometime next year in English why can't they do the same with DQ 7?  If they can show Final Fantasy 15, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Final Fantasy 7 Remake two or three years in advance at E3 why can't they do the same for DQ 7?

Hell SE announced some game today that they barely started working on lol.  Their final announcement was a game that they only had production art for...  It didn't even exist as a CGI trailer at this point.

I also think the game isn't coming out for mobile outside Japan either.  The localization of the text is probably too expensive and SE deems it is not worth their time, hence they don't talk about it.

They don't talk about their mobile releases.  In fact the last time they even talked about mobile was last august or was that earily september. If its not worth their tiem then they need to come out publicalyl and say we will not release dq7 for mobile and 3ds out west and end it.

They aren't going to come out and say "it's not happening" because it would be bad press.  They just won't talk about it and whenever someone brings it up they will just say something like "we haven't announced any plans regarding DQ 7 but like our Facebook page to keep up to date on our titles" or some such crap.

Once again SE never came out and said "Final Fantasy Type-0 isn't coming out for PSP in North America."  They always ignored the topic and dodged the question whenever asked about it.

[Edit] Good Lord I am screwing up the quoting functionality today lol.

I don't think they'll ever publicly say it. I'd be bad press for them.

Edit: Bob the Almighty beat me to it.

Edited by DarkBaramos

I don't think they'll ever publicly say it.

They publically said that they may not or may consider. Then people will continue to harp on SE and demand and demand that they release dq7 out west.  They need to come out and say they are not so people would stop wasting their time on something that is not ever gonna come out.

And screwing up his posts left and right today LOL.  I knew it was too hot to mow the lawn after work today...

A company isn't going to deliberately say anything that would make it look bad or unpopular.  They will chose to "ignore and deny/refuse to comment" every time over saying something that they know is going to be met with anger.

Does anyone have a link for the view to the discussion of the DQ segment?

And screwing up his posts left and right today LOL.  I knew it was too hot to mow the lawn after work today...

A company isn't going to deliberately say anything that would make it look bad or unpopular.  They will chose to "ignore and deny/refuse to comment" every time over saying something that they know is going to be met with anger.

Doing nothing is getting the same effect.

Doing nothing is getting the same effect.

Preaching to the choir on that one.  

Still I do not think they will ever come out and say "It's not coming."  They just won't talk about it and hope that eventually people would stop bringing it up.  Let's not act like this is the first DQ game to not get released over the last ten years.  Did SE ever say "DQ 5 PS2 is not coming out in the US" or "We have decided to not release the Yangus PS2 game in North America" or anything along those lines?