Help for someone new

As stated in the title I am someone new, both to these forums and to anything related to starting Dragon Quest X. I may ask alot of stupid questions but I would appreciate any help. There are many things I will need help with but for now I will list the 3 main questions that need to be done before I can even play the game.

1. VPN - What is a good vpn to use? I don't really know anything about vpn's so I have no idea.

2. Setting up an account and payment methods for the subscription.

3. How to get the game itself and if I will need to get anything before I can get the game. This one can be a bit annoying depending on how I get the game. If I have to buy the disc, then I will need help trying to find a disc reader for my desktop. I recently built a desktop with some help, but it doesn't have anything to read a disc. I would want to know what kind can work and where to get it. If I can just digitally download the game then this can be passed, but it will still be somewhat of a problem for other things.

I am sorry if this is troublesome and if it get's annoying trying to help me, but I would still appreciate any help.

I am assuming you are using Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1. Though I don't know for sure, it's been implied that Windows 10 currently isn't supported, but support is being worked on. Anything below XP isn't going to work. XP might not even work nowadays, I'm not sure. It did when the PC Beta was released though. Mac/Linux/Unix-based OSes are not supported.

Now that that's out of the way, I recommend you read at least the first post of this thread. http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28719 It can be pretty confusing (it's not Ashes' fault, it's just a confusing process), so don't be afraid to ask questions about it.

As for VPN, most people will recommend SoftEther, but I recommend against it. On multiple occasions, I've been notified by my antivirus that I was being attacked by or through the program, even when it wasn't (visibly) running. Plus, finding a stable connection that is fast enough for the game can be pretty hard. The one positive is that it's free and relatively easy to set up.

I use (and recommend) tunneling the game's traffic through an Amazon Web Services instance set up in Amazon's Tokyo datacenter. This is a much, much more complicated setup, but it's worth it. Connection is much more stable and much faster, the main limiting factor being your computer's internet connection, rather than a shoddy connection through SoftEther. The only downside is that it isn't free. You have to buy a program called Proxifier (about $30 one-time fee if I remember right). You also have to pay for your Amazon instance, although it's free for the first year and really cheap after the first year. Even if you left your instance running 24/7, it would only cost you $8-$9/month, and it's cheaper if you turn it off when you're not using it. I don't have a link to the "AWS" (Amazon Web Services) tutorial on hand, but if you'd like, I can dig it up for you.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I think it is more of a case that Win10 isnt officially supported, at least DQX runs perfectly fine for me on Win10. Maybe it is more of a case that they cant guarantee it will work with every PC for now, or wont give support if any problem occurs for now under Win10.

Edited by Nyum

I use Windows 7 atm and I don't have any intention to change it for now. I'll try going through the guide and i'll ask questions when I need help or confirmation. This means I'll probably be asking alot of stupid questions. I just like to make sure I can do something or that I'm doing it right. For the account, I can use google translate on a name and google a japanese hotel with its postal code and zip code right? I'm also guessing that it doesn't matter if the user name in in english or not. With the AWS vpn, could you find the information for it as well as where I might get the Proxifier program?

I think it is more of a case that Win10 isnt officially supported, at least DQX runs perfectly fine for me on Win10. Maybe it is more of a case that they cant guarantee it will work with every PC for now, or wont give support if any problem occurs for now under Win10.

That's usually how it works. There's no guarantee that it will work on W10, because they haven't built the game to work on it yet. The hiroba post was basically a "Use at your own risk" type of advisement.

As stated in the title I am someone new, both to these forums and to anything related to starting Dragon Quest X. I may ask alot of stupid questions but I would appreciate any help. There are many things I will need help with but for now I will list the 3 main questions that need to be done before I can even play the game.

1. VPN - What is a good vpn to use? I don't really know anything about vpn's so I have no idea.

2. Setting up an account and payment methods for the subscription.

3. How to get the game itself and if I will need to get anything before I can get the game. This one can be a bit annoying depending on how I get the game. If I have to buy the disc, then I will need help trying to find a disc reader for my desktop. I recently built a desktop with some help, but it doesn't have anything to read a disc. I would want to know what kind can work and where to get it. If I can just digitally download the game then this can be passed, but it will still be somewhat of a problem for other things.

I am sorry if this is troublesome and if it get's annoying trying to help me, but I would still appreciate any help.

1) I always have and always will recommend Amazon Web Services. There is little to no lag, no anti-virus issues, and it doesn't take over your entire Internet connection just to play the game. It's honestly the best option in my opinion. And it's free for the first year. After the first year it's cheap enough to not matter, especially if you turn off the virtual server whenever you stop playing. If you only play a few hours a day you will be spending like $2/mo at most. I highly recommend AWS. See the guide thread here: http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30319

I know there's a way to get it to work with consoles, but I don't know it because I don't play with consoles (I use PC), so unfortunately I can't give any support if you're not on PC.

2) Unless you can get SE to accept your credit card (can work, random chance really), you're best off using a company like sutocorp to buy JP WebMoney, and then convert it into Crysta through the Square Enix account page.

3) Use Amazon.co.jp. You can buy the digital versions through them, but you need a Japanese Address. To get one, make an account on tenso.com/en. They're an exporting company, you sign up for a free account, and ship things to that address, then pay for them to be exported out of Japan. You don't actually have to ship anything there, just buy the digital version with an account set up with your tenso account as your address.

If you need any other help don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by Polantaris

Thank you for all the information, but now I'm unsure on where to start. I'll likely have more questions about the AWS and proxifier but I'll leave that for after I can get the game and a jp square enix account. For the digital download thing on amazon.co.jp, I have a tenso account with an adress, but will the new need for identity verification that tenso has be any trouble for a digital download or will I need to do that first?

Thank you for all the information, but now I'm unsure on where to start. I'll likely have more questions about the AWS and proxifier but I'll leave that for after I can get the game and a jp square enix account. For the digital download thing on amazon.co.jp, I have a tenso account with an adress, but will the new need for identity verification that tenso has be any trouble for a digital download or will I need to do that first?

If they give you an address to ship to, then no. But even so, tenso's authentication doesn't require a Japanese ID. The entire service is about exporting, it wouldn't make sense. I think they just want confirmation that you're who you claim to be in case there's a customs issue in your country.

Well, I was able to buy it and download it and now it wants to know if I want to install it now. Should I do that or do I need the vpn or jp square enix account for it? The tenso thing didn't seem to matter much as I was able to get it, but maybe it's only for when something is actually shipped to me. I just hope no problems come out now.

Well, I was able to buy it and download it and now it wants to know if I want to install it now. Should I do that or do I need the vpn or jp square enix account for it? The tenso thing didn't seem to matter much as I was able to get it, but maybe it's only for when something is actually shipped to me. I just hope no problems come out now.

You won't need the VPN or the SE account until you attempt to log on. The Launcher will need the VPN but not until you attempt to log on for the first time.

Erdrick what exactly is this "attack" that you keep claiming Soft Ether was doing?  While criticizing it for it's instability is perfectly reasonable, what exactly is your virus protection claiming that it is doing to "attack" you?  I have a feeling your antivirus is freaking out over its attempts to check for updates.

Edited by Cranberry

OK, I can install it then and get rid of the popup message. Just wondering though, which program do I run first? It has 3, one named setup, the ver.1 installer, and the ver.2 installer. Also, do I need to change any settings on my computer before running any of these? Like switching to Japanese local or anything.

Edit: OK, never mind about the program thing. It seems that the setup just shows which one to install first. Once the install things are done I'll try to make a jp square enix account and then the vpn.

Edited by Almas Aurora

Norton claimed on multiple occasions that somebody else was attempting to access my computer over the VPN. Later, Avast claimed that the program itself was doing *something* (it just said that it was attacking my machine) even though the program wasn't visibly running. It didn't even appear in my task manager.

These honestly sound like false positives to me.  SoftEther works by people setting up their connections as VPNs that you can access.  By it's very nature this seems suspicious to antivirus because it's essentially connection sharing.  There is going to be some 2 way communication between machines for this to work,, it's just how it goes.

For the times it was accessing your machine when it wasn't running, almost certainly that's the update check.  If your anti virus hadn't blocked it I'm pretty sure what you would have seen is a window appear telling you there's an update and asking if you want to download it.

The game seems to have finished installing and updating. I'm now going through making a japanese square enix account and with the address, I can just use the address of a hotel that I found on qoogle right? Also, for google translating a name to japanese, I can use the same text for both name input areas or is there a different way for each? Sorry for all the questions.

The game seems to have finished installing and updating. I'm now going through making a japanese square enix account and with the address, I can just use the address of a hotel that I found on qoogle right? Also, for google translating a name to japanese, I can use the same text for both name input areas or is there a different way for each? Sorry for all the questions.

Yeah, that address should be fine. Or you can use the same address you used for Amazon. As long as it's a real address it shouldn't matter.

Alright, I've got the account and the game so now I'll try to get the vpn. After that I'll do the entering game keys and adding a subscription and whatever else I need to do. I'll probably ask questions about the vpn stuff.

You can use ProxyCap or Proxifier. They both cost around the same, and do the same thing. For some reason I just ended up using proxifier.

Hmmm. I think I set everything up right. I have the putty program and proxycap, but for proxycap I'm not sure which programs to add to the rules and which ones not to. That could be the reason I keep getting some yellow message in japanese whenever I try to log onto the game through the launcher. It might be something else too if I missed anything. Can someone tell me which programs to add into the proxycap rules or help me find out if I messed up somewhere?

I have the following programs proxied:

dqxboot.exe; dqxconfigmini.exe; dqxlauncher.exe; dqxprofiler.exe; dqxtitle.exe; dqxupdater.exe; dqxconfig.exe; dqxgame.exe; dqxoffline.exe;

Whenever I have the boot.exe checked in the rules then it shows a popup in japanese whenever I try to start the launcher and it just closes it out. When I have the launcher.exe checked it won't show the log in thing when the launcher is open. Just where did I go wrong here?

You have to run putty before you play. Make sure to load your settings and click "Open" in the bottom right corner of the putty window. That should open a new terminal window that lets you log in to your AWS instance.

It is logged in with the black text box where I log in. The launcher doesn't seem to work when I have proxycap on with the rules on. I'm trying to see how to get proxifier to work right now. Also, this might not have anything to do with this but I've tried the check proxy option in proxycap and every check failed.

Edit: OK, proxifier seems to work. Now I can log in but it shows some text then closes it out after it get's past the log in to a new window. I'll see if I can get a picture of it if it will help. As I can't take the picture right from my files and post it here I'll try logging in at a different time.

Edited by Almas Aurora

Hooray! I got things to work and am now starting the offline part. I'm at the character creation screen without much of a clue about what everything says. I can use google translate to get Almas in japanese for the name, right?

Edited by Almas Aurora