Sign in to follow this  
zombero

Dragon Warrior III Hardtype

FwIMgI1.png

A childhood favorite that I have modified to suit my present day tastes.  This hack has been around for about a year or two, but only recently received the last update I see myself making to it for awhile.  In general, it increases the game's difficulty, re-balances classes and equipment, and adds some new features.

Here's a breakdown of some of the game's bigger changes:

• -Enemy stats generally increased, particularly their damage.
  • -Thorough redesigns for late-game enemies and bosses.
  • -Merchants now enhance the party’s item drop rates by an average of 50% and increase gold by an average of 25%. They can also use Falcon Sword, have substantially improved stats, and can wear much more equipment than in the original game. Plus they can activate almost any spell-casting weapon in the game (and there are more of these than in the original game).
  • -Wizard’s early game spells, spell learning rate, and agility have been improved substantially, but their late game performance is largely the same as before.
  • -Soldiers now gain bonus defense equal to level/2.
  • -Fighters now have stronger late game offense, but their lack of defenses is more keenly felt.
  • -Pilgrims now have better physical damage output.
  • -Equipment re-balance plus NEW equipment, such as the evasion-granting Dark Robe, the fire-resistant Crimson Robe, the crit and miss rate altering Gambler’s Turban, the powerful Icespears casting Fangs of Fenrir claw, the luck granting Blessed Helmet, and more! (see equipment lists below for full details)
  • -New drops from enemies and higher drop rates across the board (see Item Drop List for details)
  • -Class changing from a 0 MP class to a class that gains MP now starts you with an amount of MP based on your Intelligence.
  • -It is now possible to class change into Goof-Off.
  • -Golden Claw curse is now only in effect in the room it is found in and the claw casts Bang when used in combat.
  • -Parry/Fight and Hero’s 8 spells bugs removed.
  • -Cursed equipment is no longer destroyed when uncursed, and has also been made more useful, having some new, powerful, and unique effects to accompany their downsides (see the equipment lists for details).
  • -When enemies are immune to a spell, flavor text now informs you that the enemy is immune.
  • -Seeds of Vitality and Intelligence now grant HP and MP proportional to the Vitality and Intelligence they give.
  • -And much more!

Additional Info:

Class Changes:

ExPo74G.png

Weapon Changes:

oRkMwgc.png

Armor Changes

h9IksxO.png

Item Drop List

RDaxXkw.png

Download Links can be found in either of these locations:

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/73-dragon-warrior-3-hardtype

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1738/

Youtube Videos from a playthrough of the hack can be viewed here:

Edited by zombero
  • Upvote 1

Wow, that sounds really cool. It's nice the merchant was improved so much.

Zombero!!! Thanks for posting this here :D

Wow, that sounds really cool. It's nice the merchant was improved so much.

Yeah, they are a pretty formidable combatant now, with traveler perks to boot!

Zombero!!! Thanks for posting this here :D

Heyhey, Saigan!  Hope you get a chance to check it out!  Though I could see how you might need a DW3 break after this past Memorial Day.  ;)

Addendum:  I changed the class/eq/item list links to spoilers instead as it seemed more user friendly.

Edited by zombero

Cool! :wd_coolslime:

I'll have to check this out when I can get better computer(Something I'm planning on looking into soon).

Also, I'm wondering with one of the classes(just read some of the spoilers):

How did you weaken the Fighter's defense growth? Raw defense is drawn from 50% of the agility in the original, which was something I had a bit beef with because of the detriment it caused to the Soldier class, making it almost solely reliant on armor for it's defense stat.

Edited by Stepchan

How did you weaken the Fighter's defense growth? Raw defense is drawn from 50% of the agility in the original, which was something I had a bit beef with because of the detriment it caused to the Soldier class, making it almost solely reliant on armor for it's defense stat.

Ah, I meant "defense" in a more general sense.  They get a bit less HP than in the original.  Though actually their expanded EQ selection means they have more access to defense, evasion, and resistance than in the original game, so I guess it's misleading to suggest that they have lower defeses than vanilla.  But the defense on heavy armor has been upgraded substantially and Soldier now gets a level/2 defense bonus, so it isn't like this EQ boost put them ahead of other classes defensively, either.

So I guess basically:  fighters will *feel* frailer than the original game, because the increase in difficulty makes their defensive weaknesses stand out more.

Edit:  I re-worded the Fighter description to be more accurate.

Edited by zombero
  • Upvote 1

I see what you mean now. ^

I almost read level/2 on Soldiers as twice their level, but the LP(that I'm watching a little bit of to see what the difficulty boost is like) mentioned half of their level.

I see what you mean now. ^

I almost read level/2 on Soldiers as twice their level, but the LP(that I'm watching a little bit of to see what the difficulty boost is like) mentioned half of their level.

2*level would have probably been a bit much.  :laugh:  Aside from the bonus defense, Soldier gets some really nice endgame gear (albeit much of this gear is unique, so additional soldiers won't be quite as good), so they hold up pretty well.  In the original game, there wasn't really much reason to take one over a Fighter, imo, so they needed a bit of a helping hand.

Yeah, that would have been OP to some degree. A Soldier with 80 additional defense at level 40(stacked on the rest).

I have found that starting with a Fighter in the original then switching them to a Soldier at Dharma at some point can work though(I've done it before). It's also a nice gold saver early on.

Fighter -> Soldier is still a solid approach.  The time between Kanave and getting the boat was the period in the game (in vanilla) where using Soldier felt particularly weak compared to Fighter, so I did move some of their late game strength and vitality growth to that level range to compensate.  Full Plate Armor is also drastically improved compared to the original.  I still tend to prefer Fighter or Merchant, myself, just for the gold saving, but Soldier definitely works fine.  Merchant's advantages in this same level range are being able to use the Wizard Staff, which is a free cast of Fireball, and being able to wear Flashy Clothes, which has 1/4 evade compared to 1/5 on Cloak of Evasion, along with slightly better defense.  They also have their traveler perks, very high luck, and serve as a middle ground between soldier's HP and fighter's agility.

How awesome!  I'm excited to check this out.  I've ALWAYS felt that merchants were horrendously underpowered, so I'm really glad to see this.  Wizards gaining better spells in the early game, though??  Wizards seem so good already through the whole game, even if you can blow them over.

How awesome!  I'm excited to check this out.  I've ALWAYS felt that merchants were horrendously underpowered, so I'm really glad to see this.  Wizards gaining better spells in the early game, though??  Wizards seem so good already through the whole game, even if you can blow them over.

I never found them that good early on in the original, except for Poisoned Needle abuse against Bomb Crags.  That trick won't work in this hack, though.  It's a matter of opinion whether early game Wizard is worthwhile, I suppose.  But they were definitely super good later on in the original game.  I'm really only referring to the Blaze to Bang range for Wizards, once they have Firebane they remain strong for the rest of the game.  Blaze and Bang always felt pretty weak to me, and Fireball seemed like it was learned pretty late.  Anyway, hope ya like it!

Edited by zombero