Sign in to follow this  
Toonadri

If you can choose 3 franchises to crossover with DQ...

What 3 franchises you choose?

In my case:

-Dark Cloud

-Tales of

-Zelda

and you?

Rune Factory. I want to farm medical herbs and raise Slimes to fight along side me in an action RPG.

Grandia. I want DQ with Grandia's battle system for an absolutely awesome change of pace.

Leisure Suit Larry - with the well-endowed likes of Deb and Jessica with their no nonsense personalities, that would be quite the challenge.

Edited by Plattym3
  • Upvote 2

Breath of Fire

Mega Man

Final Fantasy (not just a spin off Itadaki Street game, but a full JRPG game)

But if you consider the last one already done then I'll also say Zelda

Edited by hawkeye77o4

- Fire Emblem, for tactical RPG fun

- Monster Hunter, because can you just imagine that kind of game with Dragon Quest characters? Both series are huge in Japan, there's no way it won't happen some day.

- LovePlus, so we can finally get the Dragon Quest dating sim we deserve.

Edited by eal

I don't get the whole dating sim game craze. Maybe because I lived that online dating $#!& for 2 years (it sucked, it worked), but Meh.

Persona- Spells and abilities based on the Persona of the character sounds like it would be an interesting concept. And the story would be astounding if down right.

LovePlus- I'd like a Dragon Quest dating simulator as well as eal.

Pokémon Snap- I list this specific game because I've always thought it might be neat to take pictures of the monsters in their natural habitat and see what they are really like when they aren't trying to, y'know, kill you.

Dating Sims are funny, Platty. It's interesting to see what being pandered to is like, or at least what the writers think is considered pandering to someone. And sometimes after an unlucky streak it's fun to have an attractive girl fall over you for a few hours. Of course, so long as you don't go overboard like the fellow that actually married is LovePlus waifu.

And it's not much of a craze. It's mostly games for girls, with only a handful of games for males, almost all of which feature hideous art or a graphic sex scene in it.

Fun fact: One of the most relevant dating sim in America is probably the one made by members of 4chan about a teen with a heart condition romancing handicapped women at his school for people with medical conditions.

Edited by eal

Earthbound - c'mon, this would be SOO much fun.  Walking and talking piles of sentient puke combine with a slime?  Heroes with Zap, Lightning, AND PSI powers?  Mr. Saturns and Pencil Erasers?  Crazed Hippies and evil Idols?  Dragon Quest in the modern day?  Earthbound with real Dragons...yes they'll be few and far between, afterall, that's what we're questing for, to find the rare and secretive Dragons that bring doom, gloom, fire, and...their gigantic fat bodies (or their sleek but fast bodies).  Dinosaurs that are actually helpful, and what's this?  Morrie joins Apple Kid's fanclub after he creates the monster arena in the sky, using Apple Kid's patented Air Vacuum?  My God, and the dark world has a giant volcano?  Pookie and the giant Fetus working hand in hand with demons?

Castlevania - oh yes.  Dracula is up to his old tricks, only once the second castle is summoned, it warps the player into a new world...a Dragon Quest world.  Summoning Alucard, you meet up with Erdrick, and find that Dracula found a wormhole, the infamous Giaga Pit, and managed to form a timespell that allowed him to not only transport his real castle to the past, but to Alefgard.

Xenogears - what's the meaning of life?  Is humanity worth it?  What if the player WAS the demon lord.  Yes, he was secretly two characters in one, only it turns out he's just being USED by a sinister evil player behind the scenes.  Fei and Citan join in, and attempt to help the Dragon Quest hero, whoever it might be, along with Empyrea, to his/her senses, or else they'll destroy the universe.  The party is forced to even fight the Hero several times over.  Krelian makes a triumphant return, linking the world of light to the spirit world, allowing a full transcendence.  Meanwhile the true dark master is attempting to create her own Deus.  Yes, a female antagonist this time around.  She wishes to consume other worlds, to break free of the chains binding her to this world, and to absorb the energy of the souls crying out in pain.  Oh, and here's a kicker...she succeeds, oh yeah, she pulls a Kefka.  Total success, and it's up to the player to assure that as many are saved as is possible, a new world is found, and...oh you guessed it right, space travel.  Yes, you'll travel through space, assuming all the Xenogears episodes.  ALL of them!  What is the value of life?  What constitutes real power?  Is it machine, is is spiritual, is good even truly good, as we find out the true motivations behind this evil witch aren't as malicious as it sounds, or at least what brought her to ruin, then seeking revenge, and being blinded by her rage and thirst for power.  Oh, Citan, you dog, that was pretty evil of you to not notice who you're actually fighting (hint: future Midori in an alternative universe is sucked into a time warp, and tortured by Fei and Citan look-alike's, then in a rebirth akin to the anime Berserk, she rises, like a blood-drenched hawk, having given over her humanity...but is she still in there?  Will there be multiple endings?  Is she deep down just another Krelian, and allowing those who gave her new life to believe they've conquered the universe through their dark angel, only to stab them in the back...what about all the strange seeming happenstances that assure the Heroes can win?).

I wonder though, what this would look like:

Phantasy Star x Dragon Quest.  Dark Falz AND a Daimaou?  Whew, Middenhall's future grandson, the only descendant left can save the universe.  Gonna take some trips to various wormholes leading to Algol and other places.  OMG, wait, it's NOT JUST Phantasy Star x Dragon Quest...it's bloody Phantasy Star x Skies of Arcadia x Final Fantasy x Kingdom Hearts x Dragon Quest?  What's that, Sora gets owned and killed in the opening movie, and Sephiroth becomes good, while Cloud becomes evil, taking over the Delphinus and tweaking the silver moon to act as a power source, allowing traversing to different worlds?  Mickey and Donald are caged, and Goofy is left, on his front porch, a spear through the heart?  Wooo, pretty dark stuff.

Heck, why stop at 3 individual.  Why not 3 and DQ all at once?

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 2

I like the way you think with that Earthbound suggestion, iggy. +1 for you, sir.

Anyway, here are mine:

Super Mario Bros: Similar to the Final Fantasy idea mentioned above, I'd like to see a non-Itadaki/Fortune/Boom Street crossover game.  Perhaps an RPG where Mario and company team up with a few DQ characters to stop an incoming threat of the demon lords or something.

Etrian Odyssey: I would love to see a Dragon Quest dungeon crawler. Using job classes present in the DQ series, you could travel the world in typical birds eye view fashion, but once you enter a dungeon its first person all the way. The crossover part would be that, rather than the typical Toriyama artstyle, the classes would be drawn by EO's art designer, but to keep everyone happy you'll have the option to use either.

Animal Crossing:  Instead of animals, it's monsters.  The special guest characters are humans from the series.  Oh, and Tom Nook is replaced by Torneko Taloon and family.

As for a singular game idea, I'd like to see a Wonderful 101 inspired game. The team is composed of 100 Dragon Quest characters, going into an all out battle with the demon lords of the series.  This one would include every DQ game, so we have at least one rep. from every game.

• Upvote 1

Dungeon Keeper - Where you are the Dragonlord/etc trying to keep the Heroes out.

Starcraft - RTS style game with your heroes against the "horde" of slimes, drakees and the like

Doom/Swords/Eye of the Beholder/Torneko style action game where you traverse random generated dungeons and slash your way with Wiimote thru them.

Starcraft - RTS style game with your heroes against the "horde" of slimes, drakees and the like

Oooo! Love it!

Zerg Slime!

• Upvote 1

Oooo! Love it!

Zerg Slime!

The Slimeborg would definitely make an appearance. Resistance would be futile.

Final Fantasy (not just a spin off Itadaki Street game, but a full JRPG game)

Even though it isn't a full on game, they did a XOver within their MMOs. FF14 . FF13 & DQ10. I have a Golem pet running behind me in FF14 lol.

As for my 3 XOvers it would have to be...

Phantasy Star - For some reason, if you put future, mixed with past elements... it comes out extremely good. I believe the Phantasy Star world could work very well with PS. Either as PSO & DQX or an older style DQ with PS. ( As a side note Paladin's Quest would also be fun to see  as a DQ XOver. )

Shadowrun - Again future meets past, as a tactical game. Now I know you are thinking "Really steampunk mixed with DQ? " , but it isn't that far fetched. DQ is a comedy based game series with weird stuff in it like cyborg slimes, and mechanical killer alien robots. These would work extremly well in a Shadowrun world, just like add a cybernetic eye to a slime to make them see invisible etc... I could see this happening.

And now for the quite obvious, yet no one ever thinks about it... DRAGONBALL!!!! I mean come on the artists are the same person. The SNES Dragonball RPG would work great as a DQ world XOver. "Over 9000!!!" using a scouter on a Drakee... " He is going Super Saija Jin! " peering over at a Bomb Crag... come on people DBZ!!!!

MOTHER (EarthBound): The MOTHER series is the one and only series I like better than Dragon Quest. A merging of the two would be a dream game to me. I'm imagining the characters of each series getting together to form one party, or maybe a new MOTHER adventure with DQ elements? Or maybe a sort of spin-off where you can mix and mash characters, and then complete dungeons from each series? I'm not sure, but I would love that game to death.

The Legend of Zelda: The Zelda universe seems perfect for a DQ crossover. Both are set in older style environments, both have a hero with swords and shields and weapons going off and slaying monsters, and many more similarities. It would be perfect for a crossover. Maybe a Zelda adventure with the battle system of DQ?

Super Mario Bros: Last time Square made a Mario RPG, it was a masterpiece. Do it again with DQ elements, and it would be glorious.

Can it be from just game franchises? If not, then

• Dragon Ball Z (I always wanted to see Beerus meeting Nokturnus)
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Legend of Zelda
Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

Pokemon (with DQM,so it's monsters ALL OVER), Shin megami tensei (preferabbly with some 4th wall breaking towards Megaten being just a game),Final fantasy (DQ side wrecking FF)

Persona

Final Fantasy

And I dont really know of a third one so....The Elder Scrolls?

Leisure Suit Larry - with the well-endowed likes of Deb and Jessica with their no nonsense personalities, that would be quite the challenge.

Haha.  Puff puff.

• Upvote 2

Dragon Quest Crossovers I'd like to see:

Mana series - I remember playing DQVI in college and then later picking up Seiken Densetsu 3 (which the Secret of Mana Japan-only sequel).  I then tried to go back to DQVI and found the DQ battle system hard to get back into, after playing through the Mana series more hands-on classic-Zelda-styled battling.  It's not that I don't appreciate the turn-based battles of DQ, but it can be hard to switch back directly after playing through a different, more action oriented styled game.  I'd like to see DQ get a Mana stylized game, with the art direction from the lesser Legend of Mana (similar to Final Fantasy IX).

Chrono Trigger - seamlessly integrating the battles in with the game map is what this game does really well, and then it's time-based battles.  The enemies attack again if you're not paying enough attention.  It brings a better sense of realism into the gameplay.

Suikoden - The battle system happens in practically real time, so while it is turn-based the characters and monsters each attack rapidly and you get a feeling of a more realistic style to the battle.  That, plus the ability to create your castle and pack it full of people (therefore building your army) I thought was a great addition.  I really liked the 2nd and 3rd games where you basically visit towns, go to their weapons stores, and then the items from that store appear in your store.  Populating a castle is missing from the DQ series, which has mainly focused on side-quests where you can build a monster ranch or pseudo museum.  They haven't had anything like that since DQIII, where you can create a "New town" or immigrant town and grow out the population as a plot-point to finding the yellow orb.  DQVII and the later releases of DQIV both had an immigrant town, but neither were essential to the plot, like it was for DQIII or the Suikoden series.

Great question, by the way!  I guess I took this more as a stylistic cross-over, than characters, but I'd be fine with both.

But ONLY the Larry games with Larry Laffer created by Al Lowe! (new Larry sucks)

The 3 I would choose would be:

1. The Legend of Zelda

2. The Ys Franchise

3. Phantasy Star

• Upvote 1

Hi there FFMQFanSince92! Long time no see.

1. Zelda (one of my favorite franchises of all time)

2. Fantasy Life (come on who else wants to see any hero doing ridiculous jobs that does not suit them. Ex Yangus as a Tailor) Don't think it will happen though.

3. Blue Dragon or Chrono Trigger. (Well more so any game with Toriyama as the character designer, it fits so much I highly doubt it will ever happen. We can all have hope though)

"Any game," you say? Does that include Tobal No. 1?

Etrian Odyssey - dungeon crawlers FTW! DQ class system would have to be remade, but I think it would work. I love Yangus' idea of only dungeons to be crawled through (EOIV style). Plus, imagine Koichi Sugiyama collaborating with Yuzu Koshiro to create the greatest soundtrack in the world!

Castlevania/Metroid - Exploration, upgrades, epic boss fights, and more! This could be really interesting, with player controlling the whole party (Dawn of Sorrow, Julius mode - like) and using their unique skills to solve puzzles and plow through DQ enemies. Think using sword skills as Hero, throwing axes as Yangus, casting spells as Jessica and charming the enemies as Angelo. Exploring Rhapthorne's Black Citadel... MUST. PLAY. NOW.

Kingdom Hearts - I guess this is DQ Heroes, gameplay-wise. This one would let us to go into different DQ worlds and help their respective heroes on their journeys (kinda' like in DQVII).