Dragon Quest VIII coming to 3DS!

I know why it's not a New 3DS game (too many regular 3DS units on the market), and I don't even own a New 3DS (nor do I know if I ever will), but it would be nice to see the game running on a handheld without sacrifices being made.  The game could have benefited from the extra horsepower.

I already own the PS2 and the iOS versions and honestly the extras have to be pretty impressive to offset the downgrades.  And I also like random encounters.  I never liked the enemies being displayed on the screen only to have them 'enter' the battle mode.  If it was like Chono Trigger where the enemies are on the screen and you fight them right then and there then sure.  But what's the point of a visible enemy if the entire game still has to transition into the battle screen?  It's the constant transitioning from "world map/dungeon -> battle -> world map/dungeon -> battle" that is annoying, not the invisible enemies.

Since this is being based off the mobile port I wonder if Square-Enix can patch in (or sell as DLC) things like the voice acting and extra characters.  I would buy the DLC for the mobile version over this version given that the mobile version is the best looking version and the 3DS is the worst looking version.  I don't think that's going to happen though because hey, gotta give some incentive to buy the game on 3DS lol.  Still it would be sweet if they updated the iOS/Android version to take advantage of newer devices (I swear my iPhone 6 Plus plays the game as well as my iPhone 5 despite the much higher specs of the iPhone 6 Plus).

Even if I won't really play it I am going to buy the 3DS version if it gets released in the US just to "support the brand."  I don't really need three different versions of the same game but hey it would be awesome for collection purposes.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to be furious if Square-Enix decides to localize VIII and not VII.   I've been waiting for over two years now Square-Enix!

I won't support this in the US unless it's super upgraded or we get DQVII. I've never said that before, but I'm sick of $#!&ing ports. Especially the same damn game a year apa

YEAH? WELL, YOU'RE A ZUCCHINI WITH 12 POSTS - BANNED!!!!!!!

MH4U looks much better on New 3DS, so If Monster Hunter 4 is any indication then DQVIII will probably look better than what those screenshots show on the New 3DS regardless of it being an exclusive.

Looks like an early PSP title to me. And better than DQ73DS too imo.

but what's up with the graphics? Why do they look so bad despite the specs of the 3DS?

The 3DS has a piss poor resolution and its rendering abilities aren't that great so it's common to see pixelated and aliased graphics on the console.

I really hate to be an ass on this...but please direct me to your dealer.  I wish to experience the drug that induced your worldview.  LOL, sorry, I had to, I haven't used that one in a long, long while.  However, despite the disrespect of the above, and subsequent apology, I must respectfully disagree, the visuals are far worse than DQVII.  Sure the character model designs are more realistic than the clunkier chibi-esque VII designs, but both are based on the drawings and models, and relatively close.  The only real advantage being DQVIII grants more accurate curves, while VII's look a bit more angled, and yet more detailed.  Every map on DQVII 3DS that I've seen, is more populated by not just trees, but unique trees.

Sure VIII's maps are larger comparatively, but VII's have substantially more detail and overall aesthetic appeal.  8's are stale and filled with too much sameness throughout (it's one thing that always bugged me about the game...lack of diversity in everything from water to dirt to trees to grass...  Dragon Quest VII doesn't seem to suffer from this, and every map seems to have greater overall detail than VIII ever did per square inch.

I think you should seriously reconsider after comparing, side by side, the pictures as displayed above, and those here (I would also ask that you compare them to DQVIII PS2 hooked to an early HD TV with component to HDMI, using a decent amplifier):

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/DQVII_3DS_01.jpg

Oh, forgot, there are more shadow and lighting effects, and more accurate as well when they're present.  More colour depth, better colour scheme per area.  More intricate details within and without buildings.  Monsters have slightly more detail.  Cleaner animation as well, better detailed, more intricately detailed, and overall more aesthetically pleasing spell and skill effects everytime I compare videos of 7 to 8 on my TV.  It's just an upgrade from 8 in every way that matters, as it should be.

That would be awesome if the New 3DS optimized the game to make it look/run better. I would certainly upgrade to a N3DS if the newer games were optimized like that, kinda like how DQ 7 and FF 9 were made for the PS1 but looked nicer on the PS2.

Right now I'm more interested in what content will be added in DQ VIII besides what they already mentioned because I have a feeling there will be more.

I really hate to be an ass on this...but please direct me to your dealer.  I wish to experience the drug that induced your worldview.  LOL, sorry, I had to, I haven't used that one in a long, long while.  However, despite the disrespect of the above, and subsequent apology, I must respectfully disagree, the visuals are far worse than DQVII.  Sure the character model designs are more realistic than the clunkier chibi-esque VII designs, but both are based on the drawings and models, and relatively close.  The only real advantage being DQVIII grants more accurate curves, while VII's look a bit more angled, and yet more detailed.  Every map on DQVII 3DS that I've seen, is more populated by not just trees, but unique trees.

Sure VIII's maps are larger comparatively, but VII's have substantially more detail and overall aesthetic appeal.  8's are stale and filled with too much sameness throughout (it's one thing that always bugged me about the game...lack of diversity in everything from water to dirt to trees to grass...  Dragon Quest VII doesn't seem to suffer from this, and every map seems to have greater overall detail than VIII ever did per square inch.

I think you should seriously reconsider after comparing, side by side, the pictures as displayed above, and those here (I would also ask that you compare them to DQVIII PS2 hooked to an early HD TV with component to HDMI, using a decent amplifier):

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/DQVII_3DS_01.jpg

Oh, forgot, there are more shadow and lighting effects, and more accurate as well when they're present.  More colour depth, better colour scheme per area.  More intricate details within and without buildings.  Monsters have slightly more detail.  Cleaner animation as well, better detailed, more intricately detailed, and overall more aesthetically pleasing spell and skill effects everytime I compare videos of 7 to 8 on my TV.  It's just an upgrade from 8 in every way that matters, as it should be.

Sorry, mate. I just happen to like DQ8's graphics and design better.

Of course, anybody can see that DQVII's graphics have more added detail, and some places do look nice. But there's something about DQVII's aesthetic or style that just rubs me the wrong way, especially with how the character and monster models were made and integrated.

The world of DQVIII just captures me better simply because of how the world is shown. And I know that, from playing the original, DQVII's separate worlds purposefully weren't big, but one of the reasons I preferred DQVIII's style more simply because it gave me a greater sense of adventure, as well as nostalgia. The style they used just made everything feel more natural to me.

Also, some people won't think something is better just because there's more detail. And for others, it's a matter of how that detail is presented. From the screens and gameplay videos I see of DQVII 3DS, the characters just don't seem to blend in with the setting very well to me (this is just one of the problems I have with the character models in this game). But from playing DQVIII on the PS2, the characters blended well with the setting but at the same time were very distinguishable, IMO. Also going to add that from what I've seen of DQVII's towns, dungeons, and caves, they look like the developers just tried to copied the originals and hardly expand on them at all.

I haven't played the remake at all, so of course what I see on the internet are the only things I can go by, and thus my opinion may change if by the small chance I actually get to play the game. But for now I'm not saying DQVII has bad graphics or anything (and I'll even say it looks pretty good from what I've seen), but I simply just prefer DQVIII's graphics, design, and overall style more.

I have a feeling it won't come. Even if it does I'm not buying it a third time. I bought the ps2 game on launch. I bought the mobile at launch. This is just silly. Give me VII. Give me monsters remakes. Give a new monsters game. Give us XI and heroes.

• Upvote 1

I say the same thing... even if the game is not up to par with all the added content in the game it's like playing the game all over again with a new experience and new anticipation!

That would be awesome if the New 3DS optimized the game to make it look/run better. I would certainly upgrade to a N3DS if the newer games were optimized like that, kinda like how DQ 7 and FF 9 were made for the PS1 but looked nicer on the PS2.

Most 3DS games DO look better on the New 3DS. I have one and have done comparisons with many of my games.

"The 3DS game will follow the same story and world as the PS2 version, with new episodes focusing on the history of the villain, Dhoulmagus, and the protagonist’s childhood. Although the 3DS version will not support stereoscopic 3D, it will add other new elements at a later date, including StreetPass support."

There are new episodes focusing on Eight's childhood.  O.O  Okay, that's awesome.

Edited by Sackchief

"The 3DS game will follow the same story and world as the PS2 version, with new episodes focusing on the history of the villain, Dhoulmagus, and the protagonist’s childhood. Although the 3DS version will not support stereoscopic 3D, it will add other new elements at a later date, including StreetPass support."

There are new episodes focusing on Eight's childhood.  O.O  Okay, that's awesome.

Also episode focusing on Dhoulmagus' past... and they said there will be lots of different dialogue with Red and Morrie.

Man that trailer looks awesome lol.  The graphics still took a hit but faster battles, extra party members, and additional story segments are pretty cool.  I really want this to get announced for a Western release.

Man that trailer looks awesome lol.  The graphics still took a hit but faster battles, extra party members, and additional story segments are pretty cool.  I really want this to get announced for a Western release.

I still want it, I really hope they have other playable party members.

With the N3DS my expectations are kind of low, I'm expecting a DQ IX game pretty much only without the voiceless characters.

I just want to see the extra content and what all it will be.  I'm also curious about this "Street Pass" and what that is.

The graphics don't bother me one bit.  I don't play my 3ds to be blown away with graphics.  I just want some 3ds DQ games...  any of them.  I understand 7 has a huge script, but why not the Monsters games?  I know this has come up a million times.  I mean, with Pokémon still being a huge seller here, why wouldn't SE try to ride that wave a little bit?

Here's a DQVIII direct video that cuts out the Nintendo Direct items for those that dont' want to forward the direct. I'm on the fence, on the way they treated this poorly. Graphics I don't care about, but still looks like a meh port. I expected it to me closer to PS2 capability, rather than worse than IOS. but whatever, we know the port isn't coming west, so all criticism is moot.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2s6v9p

Edited by nolbertos

I think once they see how popular DQ VIII is they may give it the console treatment at some point.  That game has so much potential for story and content it's not funny.  It's a vast world with many dynamic well thought of characters.  In some ways I could almost see the world of Dragon Quest VIII and Dragon Quest VII merging into one huge world!  It would like be the Elder Scrolls Online but only offline :)

I'm still excited for the game, but this reeks of Square Enix greed and laziness.  I'm not happy about their effort.  Anyway, how should we go about getting that Munchie plush, because I must have that.  Where can we order it?

Oh, it says they're going to start selling Munchie Plushes at Artina, the official Square Enix store.

Alright i'm going to make a guess, if DQ 8 is released in the west, Nintendo will censor out the puff puff attacks. 

Edited by roto

This is just wishful thinking, but what if they implemented multiplayer kinda like DQIX. I know it really changes the game, but imagine if you could choose between playing "Eight" or Yangus and you if you wanted to play mp you would have to find someone who chose the other character? This could make for some good replay value considering you could have two storylines ('cept that there aren't many times Yangus and Eight are separated. Maybe once?) Imo implementing this would make the fact that they make monsters appear on the world map more acceptable, because you would also see a crazy Yangus or Eight running around trying to escape them... What I liked about DQVIII was that you could just climb some hill or mountain and stare out over the horizon and watch the scenery while listening to the epic orchestrated music in the background. This gets kinda ruined when you see drackies and slimes bumping around... I like this in DQIX though, but it probably has something to do with the fact that your view is more in bird's perspective whereas DQVIII has a free 360 degree view.

Edited by Zense

This is just wishful thinking, but what if they implemented multiplayer kinda like DQIX. I know it really changes the game, but imagine if you could choose between playing "Eight" or Yangus and you if you wanted to play mp you would have to find someone who chose the other character? This could make for some good replay value considering you could have two storylines ('cept that there aren't many times Yangus and Eight are separated. Maybe once?) Imo implementing this would make the fact that they make monsters appear on the world map more acceptable, because you would also see a crazy Yangus or Eight running around trying to escape them... What I liked about DQVIII was that you could just climb some hill or mountain and stare out over the horizon and watch the scenery while listening to the epic orchestrated music in the background. This gets kinda ruined when you see drackies and slimes bumping around... I like this in DQIX though, but it probably has something to do with the fact that your view is more in bird's perspective whereas DQVIII has a free 360 degree view.

I have to agree with you, it's supposed to be the epic DQ VIII not DQ IX, the monsters roaming around was a different style.  I think the should have left the random encounters.