Dragon Quest VIII coming to 3DS!

Wasn't there a mandate from Nintendo that said every game had to incorporate 3D effects in some way?

No. Square has a few games that don't use the 3D effect. Final Fantasy Explorers is one of them. It's usually to save processing power, I guess.

It's probably not only processing powers, but also money since for most people the 3D isn't that important. I just hope they adress some of the issues (minor!) that were present in DQ VIII:

1.Alchemy pot with same speed as DQIX

2.Whenever a spell or ability targets the whole party, just say "no one was affected" instead of going through everyone saying "It didn't have any effect on person x", it's small but when you have a billion battles then it starts taking it's toll.

3.Probably even less significant things.

I agree with whoever said it earlier this thread that I hope this is a springboard for DQ on the DS. What other game than DQVIII would be better to get people not familiar with the series hooked??

That I don't know. All I know is that select games don't take full advantage of the 3D effect. Either way, it won't affect the gameplay negatively at all, and that's all that matters.

Does VII 3DS use the 3D effect?
Yes. It uses the feature for depth rather than having things pop out at you. I don't use the 3D much, but it looks nice I suppose.

Ah, OK. :) Thanks for the info!

Edited by gooieooie

That I don't know. All I know is that select games don't take full advantage of the 3D effect. Either way, it won't affect the gameplay negatively at all, and that's all that matters.

Does VII 3DS use the 3D effect?
Yes. It uses the feature for depth rather than having things pop out at you. I don't use the 3D much, but it looks nice I suppose.

Ah, OK. :) Thanks for the info!
No problem, guv.
  • Upvote 1

Just wondering if Dragon's Den will create a Happy B-day DQ. GAF created one and although its May 27 in Japan and not here, people will celebrate. There was an article in gematsu??spellinh. That stated that Horii is aware of the demand for more western releases and to stay tuned. Could've sworn I heard that same rhetoric from Horii many times over.

"Stay tuned" means someone's trying to make it work. It means almost nothing because there's no real guarantee. I remember five years ago when one of my early topics was a happy 5th birthday to VIII.

At least Horii knows there's demand for the series on the West. Too bad he can't just snap his fingers and send the series our way though, or you know, have the Japanese script translated into English the second it's finished and gone through edits.

2.Whenever a spell or ability targets the whole party, just say "no one was affected" instead of going through everyone saying "It didn't have any effect on person x", it's small but when you have a billion battles then it starts taking it's toll.

They'd probably have to overhaul the entire spell system to do this. The way it works now is spells like Kabuff and Kasap run a 'dice roll' for each monster/party member it's cast on. So it treats each individual monster as a separate roll, therefore going through them one by one while doing so. It would be an easy fix, probably just a few lines of code to do the dice rolls for each recipient before the animation, then just show it in one fell swoop. But I doubt they're going to change something like that for a port.

Edited by wintermute
  • Upvote 1

I'm not surprised that SE neglected the 3D effect.  It has to be for performance reasons.  I'd rather have a higher frame rate over 3D any day of the week.  I always thought that 3D was a gimmick (and a rather uninteresting one at that).  I knew once the Dead or Alive game on 3DS (Dimensions?) came out and ran in 60 fps without the 3D enabled and only 30 fps with 3D that as the system got older more and more games would ignore the 3D aspect in favor of better performance, which is honestly the smart thing to do.

That said the game looks worse than the PS2 and iOS versions already just going by screen shots.  The "downgrade" is real.  I would hate to see how it ran if it was running in 3D.  I wish the game was for the "New" 3DS to make use of the extra specs.  I really wish we would have gotten an "HD version" for Wii U, PS3, or PS4. :/

Still as long as the game runs fine I can tolerate a hit in the graphics department.  

Screenshots revealed.  Graphics look terrible compared to the original, despite the 3DS having better specs than the PS2 and doing MGS3 close to the original.  The landscape is flat, the colors are all saturated, it looks very ew.  Plus they added monsters to the world so you can see them before fighting.  Why did this have to happen?

005-64.jpg
003-61.jpg

002-50.jpg

011-40.jpg

021-14.jpg

I'm pleased with the removal of random ecpunters, but what's up with the graphics? Why do they look so bad despite the specs of the 3DS? Are we looking at beta images or is this the final product?

Edited by wintermute
  • Upvote 1

I fudging hate that this series is removing random encounters. I'm fine with it in the Monsters games, but main series? Nope. Maybe I'm the oddball, but I actually prefer random encounters to visible ones.

• Upvote 1

Looks like an early PSP title to me. And better than DQ73DS too imo.

but what's up with the graphics? Why do they look so bad despite the specs of the 3DS?

The 3DS has a piss poor resolution and its rendering abilities aren't that great so it's common to see pixelated and aliased graphics on the console.

Edited by SlackerGuyS21

Looks like an early PSP title to me. And better than DQ73DS too imo.

but what's up with the graphics? Why do they look so bad despite the specs of the 3DS?

The 3DS has a piss poor resolution and its rendering abilities aren't that great so it's common to see pixelated and aliased graphics on the console.

The resolution depends on the system you're using (reg/xl), and doesn't have much to do with the shoddy pixelation. The 3DS's rendering capabilities are actually about on par with the PS2, so I don't know where you got that from.

Combined with the fact that this port does not support 3D, it should look almost identical to it's original PS2 iteration. It seems to me that this is turning out to be a sloppy rush job. With 3D, the 3DS needs to render the image twice, which is taxing... since that is not an issue here there's really no excuse for why this looks inferior to the original.

Edited by wintermute

The random monster encounters I think kind of gave DQ VIII it's charm so I agree with Yangus that I would have preferred that.  The monsters on the field is going to seem weird almost as if it were just like DQ IX which was not a favorite of mine.

The graphics definitely seem to be a step down or two...but I guess something had to be sacrificed?  I don't know...it is a bit disappointing going in the downward direction.

We will have to see how the voices sound and the music and compare it on the PS2.

I like having Red and Morrie playable, but they could have several other characters that could be playable... I would have at least like to have seen 2 others so that way they would at least have 8 characters for DQ VIII.  With the addition of the new playable characters...I wonder what dialogue will be added when standing or when certain other events take place.  That should prove interesting.

Also I would like to see new outfits for ALL the characters, not just the females.  Also new weapons are being added which should be cool.

I like the two new scenarios with the past of the hero and the villain but I hope they have more material than that.  I know I sound like a greedy person when it comes to story.  I also would like to see more epilogue such as several years later and give a run down of where all the characters are at then and now and how they are doing.  

In closing I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that we do get this game.

• Upvote 1

The resolution depends on the system you're using (reg/xl), and doesn't have much to do with the shoddy pixelation.

But it's still 240p no matter what 3DS you're using? And it doesn't always contribute to the pixelation but it can depending on how the game is handled by the developer.

The 3DS's rendering capabilities are actually about on par with the PS2, so I don't know where you got that from.

Did I say it wasn't? And that's good when you compare it to a console released 15 years ago. Not necessarily great, to me that is, but good.

And also you have to take into account that the hardware was, of course, different and the game may not translate directly depending on who the developers were and how they handled the game when it was originally in development. (And, to me, SE isn't that great with carrying over ports, graphically).

Poor choice of words on my part though, and I will admit that my memory on some of these details may be off.

Edited by SlackerGuyS21

Huh, seems they did get rid of random encounters. Thank god. That's about the last major criticism I had of the series and I'm glad they're getting rid of it (seeing as this is the third game to do so).

The graphical downgrade is disappointing, though. Atmosphere was one of DQVIII's strengths, and how it looked so expansive and crisp certainly helped with that.

Still, though, I have to say that if the game runs decently, I can live with it. The additions to the game mean much more to me than its appearance.

Edited by Psi Rockin Beta

This really needed to be a "New 3DS" game.  The game looks far better on my phone than it does on those screen shots.

It's to be expected though.  The 3DS wasn't a technical marvel when it was new and it's certainly not one four years later lol.  I'm more concerned about how well it plays though.  Hopefully the graphics downgrade was a trade off for a nice, smooth frame rate with no screen tearing or stuttering.

This really needed to be a "New 3DS" game. The game looks far better on my phone than it does on those screen shots.

It's to be expected though. The 3DS wasn't a technical marvel when it was new and it's certainly not one four years later lol. I'm more concerned about how well it plays though. Hopefully the graphics downgrade was a trade off for a nice, smooth frame rate with no screen tearing or stuttering.

I agree completely. This should be a New 3DS exclusive. But maybe that's asking too much.

Honestly, this is feeling like a quick cash grab more than anything.

This really needed to be a "New 3DS" game. The game looks far better on my phone than it does on those screen shots.

It's to be expected though. The 3DS wasn't a technical marvel when it was new and it's certainly not one four years later lol. I'm more concerned about how well it plays though. Hopefully the graphics downgrade was a trade off for a nice, smooth frame rate with no screen tearing or stuttering.

I agree completely. This should be a New 3DS exclusive. But maybe that's asking too much.

Honestly, this is feeling like a quick cash grab more than anything.

lol People here seem to be pretty split on the removal of random encounters. I'm perfectly fine with either option, and hopefully it'll make the world here look less empty in some spots.

My main concern is whether the additions are going to make me want to play through this game again, especially on a handheld. I'll buy the game, of course, to show support if by the slim chance it does come to the west. It would be pretty interesting to see how Red and Morrie work, though.

I'm sad not seeing the random encounters. I'm not a fan of seeing your enemies, especially with the DQ series. I blame alot of modern JRPG enthusiasts who complain about random encounters. Its the one thing I liked about DQ was it being traditional to the core and now, looks awful.

Regarding the game, you can tell SE doesn't care about the polish. They just slapped aome tape woth the IOS version, added OST and voices and released it. They could've taken advantage of the new 3DS's upgrades, but they couldn't bother. I think I'm gonna replay the PS2 version and import this down the road when it reaches Greatest Hits in Japan. I seriously doubt SE will localize this out West, and if they do, they're hypocrites for not releasing VII first.

Edited by nolbertos

I fudging hate that this series is removing random encounters. I'm fine with it in the Monsters games, but main series? Nope. Maybe I'm the oddball, but I actually prefer random encounters to visible ones.

Couldn't agree more. I love random encounters.
THANK YOU! Glad someone else actually likes random encounters.

Anyway, as for the discussion as to it being a New 3DS game or not...it makes more sense for it to not be a New 3DS game. While it would no doubt benefit the game in certain areas, a lot more people own your run of the mill 3DS compared to those who own both (which would fall in the middle somewhere) or only a New 3DS. Making it playable on the standard 3DS would guarantee more sales.

Having said that, if the game was a New 3DS exclusive, it would give them an opportunity to create a bundle release in Japan.

I'm split on this. Playing DQIX a lot over the past 2 weeks reminds me of how great it is to see enemies, especially when hunting metals! Then again, I have no problem whatsoever with random encounters (would I be a DQ fan for 25 years if I wasn't?). I guess it'll make this version slightly different.

I'm still not in favor of supporting this yet. I probably won't have to pick a side and choose anyway (it's not coming here), but what a dick move doing this a year after releasing it for mobile. Bleh.