Dragon Quest VIII coming to 3DS!

Who says they won't?

It's more likely we'll get it due to most of the assets being localized, instead of like DQ7.

Instead of Terry 3DS.

Instead of DQM2 3DS.

Instead of Slime Mori Mori 3.

Instead of...

Terry 3DS would've needed a new localization.

DQM2 3DS would've most definately needed one.

Slime Mori Mori 3 never was thought for a localization.

DQ8 has an English localization in the new style. The only thing needed is for the new content.

In all fairness, if you thought we were gonna get Slime Mori Mori 3 you were lying to yourself.

It is really quite the feat they were able to port DQ8 over and retain anything.

The PS2 version looks so much better, and the 3ds limited screen just...

Ew.

At least the mobile ports retain the smoothness of the character assets.

Hell, the 3ds has a whopping 2 megabytes of vram more than the PS2...

Compare that to mobile, and the Vita, if you can.

It looks pretty good for a 3DS game, though. Sure, the other versions do look better, but it looks quite nice for a 3DS game.

Have you guys seen they sell a pack with a Munchie plush?

FREE_ITEM115.jpg

FREE_ITEM118.jpg

I don't have a Japanese 3DS (I keep saying I will and then not doing it), but I kind of want to order that solely for the plush. Does the Japanese SQEX store ship out of Japan?

• Upvote 1

I understand the reasons that this could come here while the others didn't, but I've also seen how SE has suppressed the brand over the past few years, particularly with the 3ds.  I don't know, something's come over me recently where I've lost the last shred of hope with SE, in general.  Before someone brings up the mobile games:  Those were very easy, very quick cash grabs that required very little effort.  That being said, I bought them all and I'm happy to have them instead of *nothing*.  I just don't think the mobile games are an indicator of SE taking things more seriously in the West.  I hope I'm wrong and maybe we'll get thrown a bone at E3 or some other time soon.

Who says they won't?

It's more likely we'll get it due to most of the assets being localized, instead of like DQ7.

Yeah but there's new content and new characters they'd have to put some voice into.

Which would y'know, mean SE would have to do some work... and we all know how they feel about that when it comes to Dragon Quest

I'm giving them until the end of this year before I start to lose hope. Even if nothing surfaces at E3, I'll remain hopeful for announcements until 2016. I'm pretty sure that by that point, my hope will start to wane.

It really sucks that they settled on the 3DS instead of making it for the home consoles.  Now we can't import the game and we'll have to start ANOTHER translation project in addition to the one for DQVII because we all know the idiots in charge at Square Enix aren't bringing the game over.

It really sucks that they settled on the 3DS instead of making it for the home consoles. Now we can't import the game and we'll have to start ANOTHER translation project in addition to the one for DQVII because we all know the idiots in charge at Square Enix aren't bringing the game over.

Umm...you can still import the game even though it's not on home consoles. Nobody's saying you can't. You'll just need some extra cash to snag a Jap. 3DS as well.

I'm giving them until the end of this year before I start to lose hope. Even if nothing surfaces at E3, I'll remain hopeful for announcements until 2016. I'm pretty sure that by that point, my hope will start to wane.

I think by E3 if we don'f hear anything DQ related out West, better start saving up for imports. Typically E3 is when most games get announced. The TGS is that comes after E3 is when JRPG's are announced locally in Japan. I'm all for donating money for kickstarting a DQVIII translation project. Might as well throw in for Slime Mori Mori and Terrys wonderland.

It really sucks that they settled on the 3DS instead of making it for the home consoles. Now we can't import the game and we'll have to start ANOTHER translation project in addition to the one for DQVII because we all know the idiots in charge at Square Enix aren't bringing the game over.

Umm...you can still import the game even though it's not on home consoles. Nobody's saying you can't. You'll just need some extra cash to snag a Jap. 3DS as well.
That's a lot of extra cash. Not that it wouldn't be worth it. We missed like five DQ games already.

If you have a low enough firmware regionthree or the newer firmware (9.7.0-25) regionFOUR also works on the new 3ds. Their is also CFW (currently the CFW for 3ds is only temporary so every time you shutdown your 3ds you have to re launch it) or emunand if you are on anything 9.2 or below. So you don't necessarily have to buy a Japanese 3ds. 

If you have a low enough firmware regionthree or the newer firmware (9.7.0-25) regionFOUR also works on the new 3ds. Their is also CFW (currently the CFW for 3ds is only temporary so every time you shutdown your 3ds you have to re launch it) or emunand if you are on anything 9.2 or below. So you don't necessarily have to buy a Japanese 3ds.

Already bought a Jap. 3DS a year ago. I don't regret it either, especially if 8 3DS stays Japan Exclusive.

Judging by the screenshots, it looks like they're adding enemies onto the over world instead of making it random. -_-  That sucks.  They keep shoehorning these modern RPG norms into the remakes.  DQXI better not be like that.

Funny, I was going to post that bit of info myself. I never use the 3D feature, so no big lose. :P

Thanks to being nearly blind in one eye, the 3D effect is lost on me anyways. But the fact that SE is too lazy to include the 3D effect ON A SYSTEM DESIGNED FOR 3D EFFECTS royally pisses me off.

• Upvote 1

Not every single game on the 3DS uses the full 3D effect. Getting pissed of over it doesn't change anything and won't do you any good.

Chances are it was cut because it likely slowed the FPS down or something.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Wasn't there a mandate from Nintendo that said every game had to incorporate 3D effects in some way? 

That I don't know. All I know is that select games don't take full advantage of the 3D effect. Either way, it won't affect the gameplay negatively at all, and that's all that matters.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Wasn't there a mandate from Nintendo that said every game had to incorporate 3D effects in some way?

No. Square has a few games that don't use the 3D effect. Final Fantasy Explorers is one of them. It's usually to save processing power, I guess.

That I don't know. All I know is that select games don't take full advantage of the 3D effect. Either way, it won't affect the gameplay negatively at all, and that's all that matters.

Does VII 3DS use the 3D effect?

Does VII 3DS use the 3D effect?
Yes. It uses the feature for depth rather than having things pop out at you. I don't use the 3D much, but it looks nice I suppose. Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit