Dragon Quest VIII coming to 3DS!

I've bought the mobile DQs and I bought the FFX remake sometime last year.  I can't even remember anything else that I've bought from SE in recent years.  What I'm saying is:  SE gets very little of my money.  They could get a whole bunch of it, but they've decided to mistreat my favorite series in the West.  Oh, and unless something changes, I'd still bet money that we won't even see this DQ8 release over here.  For whatever reason, they seem completely unwilling to localize any 3ds DQ games.

Edited by Griever
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to be furious if Square-Enix decides to localize VIII and not VII.   I've been waiting for over two years now Square-Enix!

I won't support this in the US unless it's super upgraded or we get DQVII. I've never said that before, but I'm sick of $#!&ing ports. Especially the same damn game a year apa

YEAH? WELL, YOU'RE A ZUCCHINI WITH 12 POSTS - BANNED!!!!!!!

I've bought the mobile DQs and I bought the FFX remake sometime last year.  I can't even remember anything else that I've bought from SE in recent years.  What I'm saying is:  SE gets very little of my money.  They could get a whole bunch of it, but they've decided to mistreat my favorite series in the West.  Oh, and unless something changes, I'd still bet money that we won't even see this DQ8 release over here.  For whatever reason, they seem completely unwilling to localize any 3ds DQ games.

Squeenix knows we are going to beg for these games and we can hate them all they want for not doing it, but as soon as they drop us a morsel we go crazy for it.  

Squeenix knows we are going to beg for these games and we can hate them all they want for not doing it, but as soon as they drop us a morsel we go crazy for it.  

It's the EarthBound on Virtual Console strategy: withhold it for years, cash in on the hype and legacy.

On that note, I would like to point out that there are substantial fanbases out there who have it far worse off than we do. Heaven help those poor Mother and Mega Man fans.

Edited by Mettool

You better believe it.  If ANY of the 3ds DQ games come out, I'm getting them day 1.  I'm just getting a little bit jaded as the number of DQ games keeps increasing with no sign of them being localized.  You know, if you think about it, SE's support of the 3ds in NA/EU has been pretty terrible.  I mean, what have they actually published here?  I know that Bravely Default was published by Nintendo...  so, Theatrhythm?  With their huge push on mobile, SE really seems to have almost abandoned the 3ds in NA/EU.  It's a pretty sorry state of affairs if you ask me.

You better believe it. If ANY of the 3ds DQ games come out, I'm getting them day 1. I'm just getting a little bit jaded as the number of DQ games keeps increasing with no sign of them being localized. You know, if you think about it, SE's support of the 3ds in NA/EU has been pretty terrible. I mean, what have they actually published here? I know that Bravely Default was published by Nintendo... so, Theatrhythm? With their huge push on mobile, SE really seems to have almost abandoned the 3ds in NA/EU. It's a pretty sorry state of affairs if you ask me.

I feel the same way. Not only am I waiting on 7, but also Final Fantasy Explorers.

Square just doesn't give a $#!& anymore, plain and simple. It's sad really.

• Upvote 1

Just don't ever become one of those morons who passes on every Dragon Quest game we DO get, with some lame excuse or another, and then in the same breath whines like a baby about why we aren't getting more of them localized.

Better to be a sucker for Dragon Quest - which would make you part of the solution - than part of the problem!

I've bought every western release of DQ excepet the mobile titles. Enix tried to make the series popular here and failed. SE tried too and had lacklustre results. At this stage, I think the best way to get continual DQ localizations is having Xseed, Nisa or Atlus, translate the games, sell it high to recoup the losses and still be successful. Over the last 20-30 years, DQ has failed to capture rhe gaming crowds imagination like FF.

Is the 3ds really not worth supporting for SE?  I mean, it's a successful platform with a substantial user-base.  Sure, it's not the 2nd most successful system ever (behind the PS2) like the original DS was, but is that what it takes for SE?  I think this all goes back to SE's pride and unrealistic expectations.  Unfortunately, DQ is in a weird spot where it's seen as not big enough to be released here, yet too big (and let's not forget SE's pride and arrogance) to be handed off to the likes of Atlus, NIS, etc. to get the job done.  Again, just a sorry state of affairs.

Honestly, the 3DS isn't much of an RPG machine to begin with. Most of their RPGs are major, big deal releases. There aren't any RPGs on the 3DS you haven't heard about.

Yeah, it's certainly not cranking them out like the original DS or the PS2, but what current platform is?  The 3ds could be an RPG powerhouse if more games would get localized.  I'm not asking for games that don't even exist; I'm just wondering why the lack of so many localizations.  This brings me back to the original reason why I started ranting on this thread:  I'll bet even this game, a game that is probably 90% translated, won't even be released here.  It doesn't look good when SE has only published, like, two games in the US for the 3ds.  That's really not even an exaggeration.  Maybe there's one or two that I'm missing, but that's pretty bad for what is supposed to be one of the most prolific Japanese developers.  I guess it just hit me that the 3ds is four years old and SE has shown almost zero support for it in the West. 

It seems to me that there is a need here in the west for these kinds of RPGs... I'm sure some dedicated fans can get together to do their own similar games that would satisfy this need.

Making games is a serious relationship.

Honestly Matt, I think a team of dedicated fans from this site could come up with a 10 times better video game idea than Squeenix could squeeze out.  The only thing lacking is a sponsor, but with the right money, I feel very confident the fans of this site would come up with an extravagant RPG that people would remember for decades to come.

We would have to have money to hire industry standard musicians, coders, artists, and then some.

A lot of the good looking indie titles have industry level professionals behind them in some standard.

Somebody on GAF posted a comparison

http://i.imgur.com/7fGXPb3.jpg

This pic show the top being the 3DS version and below is the PS2 version. Notice how less greenery is around the landscape for the 3DS version.

Below is rhe Iphone version of the game

http://i.imgur.com/hpRriht.jpg

I don't care about thw graphics but the port looks shabby that pretty much the whole world looks like a barren wasteland in 3-D. Might as well have a 2-D overworld instead.

It looks like how 7 3DS's looks: little to no trees until you get to a certain distance, then they pop up. You can tell by the shadowed areas on the plains in the 3DS pic. It's exactly like how 7 3DS does/handles forests, so it doesn't bother me at least. :P

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

It is really quite the feat they were able to port DQ8 over and retain anything.

The PS2 version looks so much better, and the 3ds limited screen just...

Ew.

At least the mobile ports retain the smoothness of the character assets.

Hell, the 3ds has a whopping 2 megabytes of vram more than the PS2...

Compare that to mobile, and the Vita, if you can.

• Upvote 1

It is what it is. Maybe Square's reason for not bringing over the 3DS version will be that we won't appreciate the game due to the graphics. I could see that being a reason for them to pass over it along with others...

Damn Square Enix.

Who says they won't?

It's more likely we'll get it due to most of the assets being localized, instead of like DQ7.

Who says they won't?

It's more likely we'll get it due to most of the assets being localized, instead of like DQ7.

I'm not saying they won't. Honestly I'm neutral on whether they'll bring it over or not. Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Who says they won't?

Instead of Terry 3DS.

Instead of DQM2 3DS.

Instead of Slime Mori Mori 3.

Instead of...

From the gameplay videos I've seen, DQVIII looks pretty good on 3DS. But I didn't look that closely.

I'm not too worried about it regardless.

Edited by wintermute