Dragon Quest VIII coming to 3DS!

I won't support this in the US unless it's super upgraded or we get DQVII. I've never said that before, but I'm sick of $#!&ing ports. Especially the same damn game a year apart. Then again, we've never in the history of the 3DS got a DQ game. Therefore, we won't get the anyway.

Yes!  This is awesome news!

It's already translated in English which means it's gotta be coming to the West.  I mean come on Square-Enix!

Damnit Horii, please add something worthwhile to this to distinguish it at least.

Playable Red and Morrie work for me. Hell I thought it was painfully obvious that Red was meant to be a party character from the get go.

If I was doing a port I would add more dungeons and make more than just Morrie and Red playable, Valentina, Kalderasha, Bangers, Mash, Rosalind, and Ishmahri too.

@Toonadri - There was a lot of potential for this game, I think the ideas I came up with would have made an awesome remake.  I'm still not finished with what all I would add.

Edited by Madrigal
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to be furious if Square-Enix decides to localize VIII and not VII.   I've been waiting for over two years now Square-Enix!

I won't support this in the US unless it's super upgraded or we get DQVII. I've never said that before, but I'm sick of $#!&ing ports. Especially the same damn game a year apa

YEAH? WELL, YOU'RE A ZUCCHINI WITH 12 POSTS - BANNED!!!!!!!

I remember posting a couple of weeks ago that I'd like a DQ8 with the visible armor and expanded end-game of DQ9.  I guess that wasn't as much of a pipe dream as I thought.  No, I don't believe those features will be added, but I never expected an expanded version of DQ8, at all.  At least this one will be landscape view.  I didn't mind portrait view for the other DQs, but it made DQ8 feel more confined for me.

They should also include new outfits for all of the characters

I really think it is surprising that they do a port with some added content, because it's still too early to know what will be in it.  It also is disappointing in the fact they totally have ignored Dragon Quest VII which is an epic game too, is it that hard to do that translating?

Edited by Madrigal

Dragon Quest games are very text heavy, so yes, it's a pretty large investment. SE would have to pay a group of people to translate it, and that isn't cheap. They're worried about turning a profit, which to an extent is understandable. On the other hand, SE makes so much money on their other IPs that it wouldn't be too big of a hit if it didn't profit. Unfortunately companies like 8-4 and Plus Alpha don't just translate games out of the goodness of their hearts, they've got a living to make too.

DQ 9 outfit changes in DQ 8 would be cool

Yeah. It always seemed strange that the cast doesn't get to change their outfits. Guess they could only squeeze out time for Jessica for some reason. Wonder why...............

• Upvote 2

Why do you guys want to play dress up? It was a nice bonus that Jess could change outfits I guess, but it honestly seems kind of silly to incorporate costumes.

Besides, do you guys really want to see Yangus in a magic bikini? Trust me, it ain't pretty, guv...

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

It's not "playing dress-up." But if you're character is wearing armor, it would be nice to see them in it instead of their standard clothing. If they could do it with Jessica and all her outfits and only one set of armor for the Hero, surely they can do it for everyone's costumes.

I've actually never played VIII, but doesn't the Hero also have another costume? I remember seeing it being called something like the... Dragovian Armor? Is it a visible equipment set?

Edited by gooieooie

DQ 9 outfit changes in DQ 8 would be cool

That would be really cool, but I'm wondering if the graphics will be as smooth as they were in the PS2 version, I really think VIII should remain a console game.  Outfit changes as they equip would be nice too with the option of wearing their default outfit.

I'm wondering if this is a Chrono Trigger port to the nintendo ds situation.  They added a few more features but how much did they add is the question.  If they added a significant amount and more side quests it would be justified to buy this game for the 3ds.

Look at it this way - if they DO localize DQ8 - which I think has at least a reasonable chance given the PS2 localization would be largely applicable - and it sells really well, DQ7 could also be pushed up on the docket.

I don't think DQ7 is totally off the horizon at Square Enix, but we A) need to rock the DQ games we DO get (mobile, Heroes, DQ8 if it comes), and B) do it fast, since the 3DS is aging rapidly. It doesn't have much more than a year or two left at most, what with the New 3DS hitting shelves.

Edited by Omegaplex

I don't think the 3DS is gonna be pushed aside for the New 3DS. We'll probably see some more games for the New 3DS, but we'll have to wait for E3 to see what will happen.

Nintendo actually hasn't pushed the New 3DS as hard as a expected. Post-Xenoblade Chronicles nothing has been announced as only for New 3DS.

All this new added content makes me feel like SquareEnix will have a new excuse to not localize DQVIII.

Edited by wintermute
  • Upvote 1

All this new added content makes me feel like SquareEnix will have a new excuse to not localize DQVIII.

Well Squeenix will do what they do, because at the end of the day whether they give us what we want or not, they know we will buy their products reinforcing their behavior.

Well Squeenix will do what they do, because at the end of the day whether they give us what we want or not, they know we will buy their products reinforcing their behavior.

Are you implying that we shouldn't buy Dragon Quest games because it reinforces Squenix's terrible localization policies?

Are you implying that we shouldn't buy Dragon Quest games because it reinforces Squenix's terrible localization policies?

No, I'm just stating that we will still buy their products, and that just doesn't pertain to the non-localization of DQ games, but remakes of other FF games, etc.

No, I'm just stating that we will still buy their products, and that just doesn't pertain to the non-localization of DQ games, but remakes of other FF games, etc.

Oh, I agree with you. I'm a sucker for DQ and FF, but I've fallen out of favor with FF recently due to a couple of reasons that I won't get into. I feel so used by Squenix.  :cry2:

Nintendo actually hasn't pushed the New 3DS as hard as a expected. Post-Xenoblade Chronicles nothing has been announced as only for New 3DS.

Which is why I haven't bought one. The only real advantages to having one so far is amiibo support and the ability to run Smash 4 better, but it's otherwise been a Xenoblade machine since launch day (and I've heard it's a somewhat flawed port to begin with).

That said, I'm fully expecting at least one more n3DS exclusive at E3.

Edited by Mettool

Oh, I agree with you. I'm a sucker for DQ and FF, but I've fallen out of favor with FF recently due to a couple of reasons that I won't get into. I feel so used by Squenix.  :cry2:

I wished I could resist buying the DQ games, but I love them too much, FF, I have fallen out of favor with that series too possibly for similar reasons as yourself.

Just don't ever become one of those morons who passes on every Dragon Quest game we DO get, with some lame excuse or another, and then in the same breath whines like a baby about why we aren't getting more of them localized.

Better to be a sucker for Dragon Quest - which would make you part of the solution - than part of the problem!

Redacted

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Just don't ever become one of those morons who passes on every Dragon Quest game we DO get, with some lame excuse or another, and then in the same breath whines like a baby about why we aren't getting more of them localized.

Better to be a sucker for Dragon Quest - which would make you part of the solution - than part of the problem!

I've done my part.  I bought DQ 1-5 and 8 on my phone and I'm buying Heroes when it comes out and I will buy the 3DS version of DQ 8 should it get localized (not to mention DQ 6 mobile when it happens).  So come Square-Enix.  Stop being jerks and let's see that Dragon Quest 7 remake get translated!

I've done my part.  I bought DQ 1-5 and 8 on my phone and I'm buying Heroes when it comes out and I will buy the 3DS version of DQ 8 should it get localized (not to mention DQ 6 mobile when it happens).  So come Square-Enix.  Stop being jerks and let's see that Dragon Quest 7 remake get translated!