Dragon Quest VIII coming to 3DS!

THe difference with this and VII is that VII needs a whole new translation to be in line with all the post 2004 releases while VIII doesnt. It would just need translation for the new party chat, new text in general and voice acting for the brand new scenes. VIII needs much less work than VII does.

Unfortunately the post 2004 changes are probably why 7 won't get remade. DW7 has a ton of text and I'm surprised we even got the spelling error ridden PSX version. Just updating the shortened spell names, toss in the new style spells and run it through Word spell checker and SE could possibly turn a profit. The new localization style doesn't seem to be a net positive and is in no way sacred.

THe difference with this and VII is that VII needs a whole new translation to be in line with all the post 2004 releases while VIII doesnt. It would just need translation for the new party chat, new text in general and voice acting for the brand new scenes. VIII needs much less work than VII does.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately the post 2004 changes are probably why 7 won't get remade. DW7 has a ton of text and I'm surprised we even got the spelling error ridden PSX version. Just updating the shortened spell names, toss in the new style spells and run it through Word spell checker and SE could possibly turn a profit. The new localization style doesn't seem to be a net positive and is in no way sacred.

If i recall correctly, the he guy in charge of the mobile ports(/remakes) said some time ago something like VII needed a new translation like I-III got, to get in touch with the "Dragon Quest" branding instead of "Dragon Warrior".

If i recall correctly, the he guy in charge of the mobile ports(/remakes) said some time ago something like VII needed a new translation like I-III got, to get in touch with the "Dragon Quest" branding instead of "Dragon Warrior".

I wonder if he saw how huge the DQ7/DW7 script is. I guess they could do something foolish and take out party chat. :E

I suspect the only real possibility is a fan translation for 7.

Edit:

I took a look at my ripped script that has all duplicate blocks removed. There are 43951 text blocks in the PSX version that were translated. o.O

Edited by Tom-Servo
  • Upvote 1

I really don't know what to say about this news.  It would seem to be a no-brainer that this would make it over here, but there are a few things to consider.  Since 2011, the ONLY DQ SE has managed to bring over here were the mobile games that were straight-up ports.  Even though much of DQ8 is already localized, the new additions may yet still be too much for SE to trouble themselves with.  Also, I would think this may be good for our chances of getting DQ7 rather than bad, but who really knows?  Frankly, I'm getting weary of wondering what is going on in the collective mind of SE.  I hope I don't make anyone mad by saying that I hope this is a N3DS exclusive.  :P

I hope I don't make anyone mad by saying that I hope this is a N3DS exclusive.  :P

The Japanese at the bottom of the site says that it will be for the "Nintendo 3DS Series", so it's for all of them.

They use it in DQX, it makes sense.

If they could translate the party chat from IV and re-translate I, II and III, they can translate the additions of this remake while using the ps2/mobile translations

Really weird choice of a port.

We should get it, especially since it is likely a orchestra soundtrack, it sounds like the mobile port with that gimmick.

If someone can get a download of it if possible and play with it, I'd love to know if it is the unity port.

Expect it on PC next, to milk it.

Guys,don't worry,this game is probably is going to be relased in west,it's a port.

Now my question is:

¿Morrie and Ruby,fighting? Man,that's awesome...but i can't imagine their weapons and their special skill xD.

Soo,new weapons,huh? probably from DQIX and DQX.

and what about if King Trode is a playable character too? they never said no more characters.

Really weird choice of a port.

We should get it, especially since it is likely a orchestra soundtrack, it sounds like the mobile port with that gimmick.

If someone can get a download of it if possible and play with it, I'd love to know if it is the unity port.

Expect it on PC next, to milk it.

If the game is going to be playable on the old 3DS then it is not going to be a unity port.

I'm going to be furious if Square-Enix decides to localize VIII and not VII.

I've been waiting for over two years now Square-Enix! :(

They probably will localise VIII first, but that doesn't mean that they could announce they've begun translating VII. They could release VIII and maybe announce sometime that they've been translating VII. Hopefully they'll acknowledge something about VII, X, and now this port of VIII at this year's E3. I wouldn't be upset though, if they give some kind of comment about localising VII and/or X alongside the announcement of this localisation I'd be happy. Edited by Charski

the localization is already done so they really should be able to send this to the NA eShop

edit: so apparently the text would have to be reworked anyway after the bonus content, even after the android port was localized.

I disagree with the people saying that it will be a downgrade from PS2 though, you can't go worse graphically than the PS2, not on the 3DS at least, it can add stuff too like head tracking 3D, or they could restore the original SFX and music, and on top of that it would perform much better than the phone versions because it's on proper gaming hardware

Edited by wiregu

the localization is already done so they really should be able to send this to the NA eShop

No. Physical release please. Dragon Quest should not become a digital only series.

• Upvote 1

If it is released here, I wonder if we'll get a "downgraded" version like the mobile port. The version we got for the PS2 added voice acting and other UI "enhancements", which would complicate things since it's not just English text inserted into the game.

Downgraded? It was a port of the original Japanese version.

I'm going to be furious if Square-Enix decides to localize VIII and not VII.

I've been waiting for over two years now Square-Enix! :(

They probably will localise VIII first, but that doesn't mean that they could announce they've begun translating VII. They could release VIII and maybe announce sometime that they've been translating VII. Hopefully they'll acknowledge something about VII, X, and now this port of VIII at this year's E3. I wouldn't be upset though, if they give some kind of comment about localising VII and/or X alongside the announcement of this localisation I'd be happy.

If you think X has any chance of being localized then you're just being delusional.

We might get a release date for Dragon Quest Heroes at E3 this year and this is me being optimistic.

No. Physical release please. Dragon Quest should not become a digital only series.

It's a port of an old game and they have the means now to make a downloadable game, I agree with physical release for new DQ games but here for VIII I think either downloadable or on cartridge would be fine.

If you think X has any chance of being localized then you're just being delusional.

We keep asking or mentioning the translation of X because it's a way to show interest, some people actually liked the game and if there's a chance of square seeing our posts in their blogs, they might as well see how many people like X too. I hope people keep bringing X up despite how impossible it might seem.

Edited by wiregu
  • Upvote 2

We keep asking or mentioning the translation of X because it's a way to show interest, some people actually liked the game and if there's a chance of square seeing our posts in their blogs, they might as well see how many people like X too.

I understand that and I admire it, but X has no realistic chance of ever being released overseas so it is all for naught. :(

Sorry for my negativity. It's just been too long since we've had a Dragon Quest game released here and I'm not counting the shoddy mobile releases.

We keep asking or mentioning the translation of X because it's a way to show interest, some people actually liked the game and if there's a chance of square seeing our posts in their blogs, they might as well see how many people like X too. I hope people keep bringing X up despite how impossible it might seem.

This is why I still ask and hope for X. I find it better to show interest in games that you feel deserve localisation than to assume that it could never come because of said reasons, I kinda learnt this with Bravely Default and various other games (like Tomodachi Life, Yo-Kai Watch, and Fantasy Life for other games) where I thought they were impossible to be brought outside Japan. Just show interest online and maybe someone will answer the message.

If you want a game to get localisation but it may be impossible, like DQX, don't assume its impossible. Just go online and say you want it and raise interest. I got a few people I know in real life all with me on wanting DQX too.

Now my question is:

¿Morrie and Ruby,fighting? Man,that's awesome...but i can't imagine their weapons and their special skill xD.

Red uses daggers in the original but I can see her using some of Yangus' weapons as well. She isn't much of a fighter in the original, though, so how they handle that remains to be seen. If Morrie himself is a fighter I can see him using whips at the very least, otherwise I feel like monsters will fight in his place.

If it is released here, I wonder if we'll get a "downgraded" version like the mobile port. The version we got for the PS2 added voice acting and other UI "enhancements", which would complicate things since it's not just English text inserted into the game.

Downgraded? It was a port of the original Japanese version.

Ok maybe downgraded wasn't the right word.  We got an upgraded version, but the mobile port was based off the original, which makes it feel downgraded.

http://gematsu.com/2015/05/dragon-quest-viii-3ds-voice-cast-announced

Some of them are kind of hard to picture. Fumihiko Tachiki as Yangus seems so weird to me. Koyasu is always great, though probably more badass than Dhoulmagus deserves really

Also interesting is the screenshot at the bottom left that shows part of what the new story will be. It apparently involves the protagonist in his younger years and it has Medea there too. That's a welcome addition considering for people that end up together at the end, we don't actually see that much development between them. Getting a better glimpse of their childhood together will make Medea a more acceptable main heroine.

DMVal0K.jpg

So new scan guys! This confirms the game are going to go similar PS2 DQVIII graphics,Red and Morrie are onligatory l characters,and some new monsters to recruit.