Dragon Quest VIII coming to 3DS!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to be furious if Square-Enix decides to localize VIII and not VII.   I've been waiting for over two years now Square-Enix!

I won't support this in the US unless it's super upgraded or we get DQVII. I've never said that before, but I'm sick of $#!&ing ports. Especially the same damn game a year apa

YEAH? WELL, YOU'RE A ZUCCHINI WITH 12 POSTS - BANNED!!!!!!!

Garda is just the Japanese name of Red. The Battle Road is just what the arena is called in the Japanese version so it's not like it's a different version of Morrie, it's just Morrie.

If you look up I kind of already posted those things.

Oops, sorry about that n00b.  I somehow missed your post above.

ignasia7, you still think we're getting Dragon Quest VII at E3 this year?

And now this game? :P

I don't know if we'll get anything for e3, but I do still believe we'll see DQ7 this year.  I'd LIKE to see it before e3, with a big fanfare as an attempt to actually garner attention.  LOL, anyhow, it's good to see you too Doctor RPG.

I think you're crazy to think that. :P I hope you're right though of course. We all want more Dragon Quest. :(

I'd LIKE to see it before e3, with a big fanfare as an attempt to actually garner attention.  

I'm with you that DQ7 is coming... but this is SQEX. Promoting it before E3 would be a smart decision. And they aren't too good at those ;)

• Upvote 1

Heard the news on GAF. I'm very cynical on every SE DQ release. Chances of a western release are zero unless Nintendo steps up. At this point, I'd rather beg Atlus and NISA to localize via 3rd party from SE as chances are they'd release it here, even on a limited basis, but SE is stubborn about letting anybody release out West other than themselves.

• Upvote 1

I mean come on Square-Enix!

Dammit, I can't help but read that in Jimmy's voice from South Park. It's not just you. It's every time someone uses that phrase.

• Upvote 1

I wonder what the Japanese think of this news...

Man, I remember when I was just a fresh-faced newbie on these forums and I made a topic polling people about which game they'd like to get remade in the style of the DS ports. I was one of maybe two or three people that voted for VIII. Guess I wasn't so far off-base.

Look at what you did, eal.

LOOK AT WHAT YOU DID.

Like Cran, I also haven't played DQ8 yet.  I do have the PS2 version, but it's been sitting on my shelf waiting for me to finish DQ6 (I blame DQX for eating up so much of my gaming time...lol).

As others have stated, I really can't see SE NOT bringing this over, as it sounds like there's not much risk involved.

Welp this is the nail in DQVII's coffin.  We'll definitely get this since it's already (mostly except for the new content) translated in the updated localization style.  They won't release both.

I'll double dip on this though.

• Upvote 1

I've never played DQ8.  I hope this comes to the west.  It would be my first chance to pick it up.

If or whenever it comes to the West (I think it quite likely), you'll be in for a treat.  Sure, for me it's a love-hate relationship, but the gameplay overall, despite my personal nitpicks, is fantastic.  It's a fun romp.  A massive world with a lot of areas to explore (my only beef being I wish there were more variety of scenary, as it's bloody huge).

ignasia7, you still think we're getting Dragon Quest VII at E3 this year?

And now this game? :P

I don't know if we'll get anything for e3, but I do still believe we'll see DQ7 this year.  I'd LIKE to see it before e3, with a big fanfare as an attempt to actually garner attention.  LOL, anyhow, it's good to see you too Doctor RPG.

I think you're crazy to think that. :P I hope you're right though of course. We all want more Dragon Quest. :(

Crazy like a fox.  I hope so too.

I'd LIKE to see it before e3, with a big fanfare as an attempt to actually garner attention.  

I'm with you that DQ7 is coming... but this is SQEX. Promoting it before E3 would be a smart decision. And they aren't too good at those ;)

LOL, yeah, I can see it now: SE president has two socks of different make.

Indecision SE: what words will they parley this time?  Will they back them up?  What does it all mean?  Where's the slime factor?  Have they hired a good PR firm?  Will they rebuild the US offices with fewer yes-men and more psychophants...

This just in...CEO of SE NA and EU fails to answer fans on his blog post.  SE Japan's CEO is giddy over Dragon Quest in the West, but is it all over just one game?  Is SE even paying for that game's localization?  What will happen...stay tuned for e3.

Welp this is the nail in DQVII's coffin.  We'll definitely get this since it's already (mostly except for the new content) translated in the updated localization style.  They won't release both.

I'll double dip on this though.

Why do you say that?  If anything DQ8's Western release and success would be more likely to assure DQ7 than the opposite.

Picture this...e3, no DQ7 news.  DQ8 gets a full Western unveiling and announcement.  2 months after e3 it will see a release worldwide, simultaneously.  2 months later, sales hit 300~400k on the 3DS.  DQ7 gets a formal announcement on the heels of DQ8.  Nintendo announces it though, not SE.  SE does a presser to unveil this will be the last joint venture of Nintendo publishing SE Dragon Quest games, implying SE was helping to pay for DQ's 9, 6, J2, and 7.  SE teases a special edition version of DQ7, but no official unveiling.  Nintendo announces, same day, that DQ7 will see a special edition, limited release version for 69.99.  It will contain a special DQ7 map, a special booklet, like old times, and a randomly selected DQ7 figurine.  Maybe it's a character, maybe it's a boss monster, maybe it's a slime.  Within it is a special notice for DQHeroes and the upcoming DQ11, which was announced a week prior, but only in Japan, indicating the NA/EU announcement is upcoming soon.  There will only be a limited supply of special edition DQ7 3DS units, pre-orders only, and a hint that extra units will be produced for the first print-run, above and beyond pre-orders, depending on how many pre-orders are made.

SE then teases DQ11 NA, the month after DQ7's special edition unveiling.  2016 worldwide release, PS4/WiiU.  Has an online component and DLC plans, nothing like Atlus does, but DLC never the less.  Japan sees a PS3 edition as well.  WiiU will come out a year after the PS4.  PS4 has a special DLC scenario exclusive to it, and a special character, or maybe exclusive playable characters...hinting at past heroes.  PS4 edition also links up with Heroes and Heroes 2 for special quests and equipment based on progress in those two games.  WiiU will have exclusive, but as yet unannounced content.  NX version unveiled.

LOL, a man can dream, can't he...

I actually am not totally amped for this game. I feel like it's graphics will be downgraded just as Xenoblade Chronicles' were. What's worse, I probably won't like the controls a ton.

That being said, I never got around to beating it on PS2 so maybe a handheld version will give me a swift kick in the butt to finish (and no, I'll never get the mobile port).

Maybe I'll grab the old PS2 and hook it up at my apartment and start my collection up again. I actually have Dragon Quest VIII and a copy of Persona 4 sitting on my shelf. A few Dragon Ball Z games are floating around in the basement and I'm pretty sure we have a pile of classics down there too, like Devil May Cry. Also, Walmart is still trying to unload like a half dozen PS2 games, including a three-pack of Grand Theft Auto games. Now my mind is starting to wander completely off-topic!

• Upvote 2

I can't make my phone's battery last long enough to play the Mobile port when I'm away from home. And when I'm at home, I've got games that may not necessarily be as good, but I don't have to squint at my phone's screen to play them. So I'm definitely down for a 3DS version... I just need to get meself a 3DS of some sort. (There's what, 5 NA models to choose from now?)

I actually am not totally amped for this game. I feel like it's graphics will be downgraded just as Xenoblade Chronicles' were. What's worse, I probably won't like the controls a ton.

That being said, I never got around to beating it on PS2 so maybe a handheld version will give me a swift kick in the butt to finish (and no, I'll never get the mobile port).

Maybe I'll grab the old PS2 and hook it up at my apartment and start my collection up again. I actually have Dragon Quest VIII and a copy of Persona 4 sitting on my shelf. A few Dragon Ball Z games are floating around in the basement and I'm pretty sure we have a pile of classics down there too, like Devil May Cry. Also, Walmart is still trying to unload like a half dozen PS2 games, including a three-pack of Grand Theft Auto games. Now my mind is starting to wander completely off-topic!

We got a nice release of MGS3 on 3DS, and while it was downgraded graphically a bit... It still looked damned good. Dragon Quest 8 is also less extensive graphically than MGS3. Cell shading is usually easier to pull off than realistic looking characters and environments, like the ones we see in MGS3.

Is this coming to 3DS or N3DS? If it's an N3DS exclusive then I seriously doubt it will look much worse than the ps2 version.

Edited by wintermute

I wonder what the Japanese think of this news...

Most likely business as usual. From what I understand, DQ-related announcements are a big deal and not a big deal at the same time, if that makes sense.

Dragon Quest ports are also so common that I can't imagine anyone's jumping out of their seats for this.

Edited by Mettool
  • Upvote 1

I'd buy it if it came out here, but if it doesn't make it over here I'm in no rush to replay it.  We just got the mobile port last summer, and I still have my PS2 version.

And then there's the general lack of US releases for the main series (outside of mobile ports), so it's anyone's guess.

Maybe Square Enix was able to come up with excuses for X and VII, but this time with this game there should be no excuse for a localisation. There already exists a good translation for this game, meaning it'll be a simple and cheap port over. No excuse there. If they can port this mobile and localise that they can port it to 3DS and localise that.

If it is released here, I wonder if we'll get a "downgraded" version like the mobile port.  The version we got for the PS2 added voice acting and other UI "enhancements", which would complicate things since it's not just English text inserted into the game.

If it is released here, I wonder if we'll get a "downgraded" version like the mobile port. The version we got for the PS2 added voice acting and other UI "enhancements", which would complicate things since it's not just English text inserted into the game.

From what I read, there's orchestral tracks in this 3DD version.

3DS has orchestrated music and new voice acting for Japan. We should get get the music and at least the old voice acting, and I believe the old VAs signed on for Heroes, so no doubt they'd be willing to fill any gaps here too (assuming SE is willing to pay them to do it).

The fact the original VAs signed up for Heroes (thank goodness Ricky's coming back to voice Yangus!) that could also be a sign that 8 could be coming. It might be a long shot, but stranger things have happened.

Wow I didn't even remember I did this....

//モリー「ã‹ã‘上ãŒã£ã¦ã“ã„ ○ボーイ○ッï¼ï¼

// 最強ã®ãƒãƒ¼ãƒ ã§ã€€ã“ã®ã‚ã—を圧倒ã—

// 最強ã®ã‚ªãƒ¼ãƒŠãƒ¼ã§ã‚ã‚‹ã“ã¨ã‚’証明ã™ã‚‹ã®ã ã£ï¼

Morrie: Okay, <nickname>! It is time for you to show just what you are made of! Passion versus passion! GUSTO versus GUSTO!

I think it has enough GUSTO to be plan B. :)