Dragon Quest VIII coming to 3DS!

I don't touch reddit. At least not anymore. I was never a member of that community because all it takes is to dip your toes into it to know you should stay away. When you've got a Wikipedia article solely dedicated to your controversies why would you ever want to be near that community? They hide behind the protection of their "free speech" as an excuse to have subreddits about jailbait, creepshots, "mens rights," and of course leaking celebrity nude photos, which was given the lovely name TheFappening.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to be furious if Square-Enix decides to localize VIII and not VII.   I've been waiting for over two years now Square-Enix!

I won't support this in the US unless it's super upgraded or we get DQVII. I've never said that before, but I'm sick of $#!&ing ports. Especially the same damn game a year apa

YEAH? WELL, YOU'RE A ZUCCHINI WITH 12 POSTS - BANNED!!!!!!!

But it is an active community.

There are also a lot of crack heads, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to hang out in those parts of town.

The problem with reddit is that it isn't just one community like it's made out to be. The people who post on /r/JRPG or /r/DragonQuest for example are completely different than those who post on r/WTF or someother default subreddit. To make large group statements about reddit users is wrong

YEAH? WELL, YOU'RE A ZUCCHINI WITH 12 POSTS - BANNED!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

The problem with reddit is that it isn't just one community like it's made out to be. The people who post on /r/JRPG or /r/DragonQuest for example are completely different than those who post on r/WTF or someother default subreddit. To make large group statements about reddit users is wrong

Maybe. But the fact remains that the website has hosted sexual photos of underage teenagers and stolen nudes and refused to remove them until outside pressure was put on them, all under the guise of "free speech." You can't just let them get away with it and say "Oh, it was only a couple people who did that." No, the larger, more diverse community you have, the more responsibility you have to police it. Something they literally refuse to do because they believe it's their right to take creep shots of women without their consent and post them online.

Yes, because there's no air of elitism or entitlement on reddit.

There's elitism and entitlement all over the internet. It's certainly not just reddit.

I'm not saying there isn't. I also have similar issues with 4chan. Reddit was just the one that was brought up.

But just because elitism and entitlement is all over the Internet doesn't mean it's okay.

I'm not saying there isn't. I also have similar issues with 4chan. Reddit was just the one that was brought up.

But just because elitism and entitlement is all over the Internet doesn't mean it's okay.

No it doesn't, and I never said it was OK. The fact is, like others have pointed out to you, is that Reddit is not just one community. There are multiple communities on Reddit, all with different ethos and mentalities. And yes, because of Reddit's freedom and stance on free speech, some things have slipped by the radar like nude photos and whatnot (like you mentioned), but that is not a representation of its entire userbase. The only reason I like reddit more than GAF is because I don't get banned for telling someone what I really think about a subject or them personally, while on GAF I would get banned on the spot. I enjoy freedom moreso than highly regulated posting and content. Censorship is the devil, and GAF is full of it. But they both have their list of flaws, like any community.

Edited by wintermute
  • Upvote 1

They apparently banned people for not liking the Squirrel Girl artist. Because sexism or some bullshit. It's not sexist to dislike that book. It's terrible! Read Ms. Marvel instead. Good story, great art, and artists that don't draw the main character always going, "DAIIIUUUUURRRRRR!"

They apparently banned people for not liking the Squirrel Girl artist. Because sexism or some bullshit. It's not sexist to dislike that book. It's terrible! Read Ms. Marvel instead. Good story, great art, and artists that don't draw the main character always going, "DAIIIUUUUURRRRRR!"

*reported for not liking Squirrel Girl*

Edited by wintermute

Squirrel Girl is a terrible book. In the same vein, I'd also recommend Silk. Moderately funny, cartoonish yet very appealing art, and has a very light tone for the most part.

It took me forever to read through the first issue of Squirrel Girl. It's too "Tumblr" for me to handle.

Yeah, I have to say I've not seen much of the bashing or ridiculousness on Reddit as others have seen.  I guess it depends on where you go, and what threads you look at, and when.  There are elitist/psycho-sociopaths/crazy people/narcissistic/people who can't handle criticism/"insert some form of needlessly negative behaviour here" amongst any given population.  Some of it is due to people who have been destroyed in their lives, some were born with psychological disorders, others have taken various drugs, or have bad food habits that contribute to behaviour, and yet others are just spoiled and unaccustomed to dealing with real-life situations and so cannot handle themselves (often this implies a child/teen/young adult who never grew up).

There are also varying degrees of all these things.

There are even really excellent/respected community members who may even have bad days, and let loose in some unstable and crazed way, and fall in with one of the above negative categories.  Others just bottle it up and go do something else until their mindset is normalized (yeah, I realize I don't fall into this latter category as often as I want to, as I've had plenty of breakdowns).

There are even times when negative reaction is warranted, such as community pressure to erase stolen nude photographs, some of them ripped from hacked computer cameras if memory serves.

Some site just see more of that behaviour than others.  What's intriguing is when some places see such behaviour enmasse, without control, and instead opt to moderate bully people who aren't a real problem.  That's when things go bad.  Problem is GAF is filled with this behaviour more than most.

GameFAQs also certainly has its share of bad mods.  I've been hit by 5 moderations that weren't breaks of the TOU, but were upheld for the reason "mod said so, so nah nah nah, and you didn't get points removed, so be greatful," no points meaning they knew they were in the wrong, but modded anyhow and weren't about to take it back.  Actually it's extremely rare, and I've yet to hear of a single case of a bad moderation undone by the head mods on GameFAQs.  There was ONE case early on when I still went by ignasia7, and I addressed a post by The n00b Avenger where the mod apologized but wouldn't undo it, the apology went like this: "we realize your usage of the word 'n00b' was not derogatory, but we won't undo the moderation."  It was then upheld by the upper staff.  I posted it again, by copy-pasting the original post, and no second moderation.  This is what I mean by, they will outright refuse to undo a moderation even when they KNOW full well the mods were in the wrong.  It's a mark of controlling the population, by picking on certain members as well.  The more outspoken, and those who may have some level of community respect, or at least are well known, even if infamous.  It's a sad reality, but at least they've toned this down in recent years.

This is why I try to be on my best behavior when I visit this site:  I value being a member of this community.  That's not to say I'm an a-hole elsewhere, but I do admit to not being as polite on other, open forums.  Sure, I may have even been known to rip someone a new one on Steam forums, but only when they were asking for it.  *ahem*

• Upvote 1

So has there been any updates on dq8?

Edited by roto

So has there been any updates on dq8?

Not since the last one no. If it means anything, I actually dreamt about DQ8 last night for some reason so that might help you through this info drought  :lrsmile:

E3 will be here soon and hopefully we may get good news not just about DQ VIII 3ds but maybe DQ VII as well :)

Hoping for both is a bit too optimistic. At the most we'll get VIII but even that is wishful thinking.  :(

I know you're right, but I would love for us all to be proved wrong this once

I sometimes have dreams about games i'm looking forward to. 

And it is a shame how DQ, the original console rpg is shoved off to the side. I know just because something was first doesn't make it the best, but you would think DQ would

get enough recognition to have all the games released out side of Japan. 

All I really want is VII. :(

VIII on PlayStation 2 will definitely be the better version and we all know it.

As far as visuals go, we are quite sure that the PS2 will be the better one, but we'll have to see how the sound the rest of it is.  The extra content is what got the rest of us.  What really gets me is, they already had it for a console, I think it would have been easier to port to the PS3  with extra content than go down to the 3ds.

All I really want is VII. :(

VIII on PlayStation 2 will definitely be the better version and we all know it.

As far as visuals go, we are quite sure that the PS2 will be the better one, but we'll have to see how the sound the rest of it is.  The extra content is what got the rest of us.  What really gets me is, they already had it for a console, I think it would have been easier to port to the PS3  with extra content than go down to the 3ds.

Yes! I always wanted to see a DQVIII HD and the extra content would be awesome! But the 3DS is how they can make the most money right now so that means a lot of games that would be better on

consoles will be made for the 3DS.

• Upvote 1

I think Dragon Quest is so popular in Japan that I don't think it matters what system it's for, it would sell a lot  Here in the US, I'm not sure how that would work.

If they write in code that takes advantage of the N3DS, and adds in more details on the map, and cleans up the pixelation, then I'll be happy.

I already know I'll see the 3DS as THE definitive version, much as I see the GBC version of 3 as the definitive version (though I prefer the SFC's visuals and sound...not out of battle, but in battle).  I know I will miss the extra trees and other landscape elements, and I will know that 7 does a better job at cleaning it up.  Mostly because each island is smaller...so they could have just reduced the draw distance, and used the extra ram to load in more junk on the map, but I digress, for what it is, I'm warming up to it.

• Upvote 1

I still will enjoy it, but I will always remember the extra landscape and cleaner and less super-saturated colored screens.

E3 is very soon...I'm keeping my fingers crossed we will get it...and DQ VII