Dragon Quest VIII coming to 3DS!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to be furious if Square-Enix decides to localize VIII and not VII.   I've been waiting for over two years now Square-Enix!

I won't support this in the US unless it's super upgraded or we get DQVII. I've never said that before, but I'm sick of $#!&ing ports. Especially the same damn game a year apa

YEAH? WELL, YOU'RE A ZUCCHINI WITH 12 POSTS - BANNED!!!!!!!

I have high* hopes for a localization. If they can plug the existing translation into it like they did with the mobile version, we'll be golden.

The release date for this is August, which is quite soon. So my guess is that this is a largely a straight port. With new Japanese voice acting if Morrie's voice is anything to go by.

* Slightly higher than usual

Edited by Mettool

I won't support this in the US unless it's super upgraded or we get DQVII. I've never said that before, but I'm sick of $#!&ing ports. Especially the same damn game a year apart. Then again, we've never in the history of the 3DS got a DQ game. Therefore, we won't get the anyway.

• Upvote 3

http://www.dragonquest.jp/news/detail/1342/

-New parts added to the story(vague on what exactly this will be)

-Red and Morrie are now usable as party members

-The Japanese version will be voiced(presumably with Japanese voices) like the English release was

-Will use the Orchestral Soundtrack like the English release did.

-Will make use of Streetpass for 'something'

Edited by The n00b Avenger

Now we can watch Yangus do the Underpants Dance in glorious 3D!

Great news on one condition...

I'm hopeful this will get released outside of Japan, though. The game is a port. An English localization already exists. It should not be difficult at all, financial or otherwise, to release this overseas.

Squenix literally has no excuse this time.

Edited by wintermute

Another game we probably won't get.

Pretty much!

You'd think they could just use the original, but they probably can't for whatever reason. Plus Red and Morrie are playable, which means they'll have more dialogue.

I won't support this in the US unless it's super upgraded or we get DQVII. I've never said that before, but I'm sick of $#!&ing ports. Especially the same damn game a year apart. Then again, we've never in the history of the 3DS got a DQ game. Therefore, we won't get the anyway.

Yes!  This is awesome news!

It's already translated in English which means it's gotta be coming to the West.  I mean come on Square-Enix!

Bob's got the right idea.  It's cheap as heck for them to localize given they only have to pay for insertion.  What I wonder is...would they properly market the damn thing, or will it bomb because...well, NO ONE KNOWS about it.

I am getting sick and tired of ports as well.  It's bad enough to suffer them with FF, but DQ now?  The game series with the creator who swore he would never do such a thing to his precious series?  Damnit Horii, please add something worthwhile to this to distinguish it at least.

Edited by ignasia7

Yes!  This is awesome news!

It's already translated in English which means it's gotta be coming to the West.  I mean come on Square-Enix!

Damnit Horii, please add something worthwhile to this to distinguish it at least.

Playable Red and Morrie work for me. Hell I thought it was painfully obvious that Red was meant to be a party character from the get go.

• Upvote 1

Yes! This is awesome news!

It's already translated in English which means it's gotta be coming to the West. I mean come on Square-Enix!

So is Dragon Quest VII.

DQ7's not a port.

It's already translated in English which means it's gotta be coming to the West. I mean come on Square-Enix!

So is Dragon Quest VII.

DQ7's not a port.

He meant 7's already been translated into English, aka the original Playstation version.

I see this coming west. If it does well enough (according to SE), it may be the gateway for VII.

Meh.

Doubt it'll be better than the PS2 version. But that doesn't matter since we're not getting it anyway.

So is Dragon Quest VII.

DQ7's not a port.

Chances are that most of the original's translated text still applies though.

Sorry n00b.

Edited by ignasia7

Oh, I nearly forgot! Now we'll get to experience Morrie's Monstrous Pit in 3D too! The PASSION and THE GUSTO will be so beautiful!

Meh.

Doubt it'll be better than the PS2 version. But that doesn't matter since we're not getting it anyway.

So is Dragon Quest VII.

DQ7's not a port.

Chances are that most of the original's translated text still applies though.

No it wouldn't.  Many NPC's were changed apparently.  There is a LOT of altered text to speed things along.  A number of scenario changes.  Township was altered drastically, and has a storyline version, like DQ4.  Then there are the new NPC's added, new items, new mini-games to account for.  Alterations to skills, three new skills added to the game.  Drastic changes to the monster park system, and dialogue in the monster park.  The lithograph system has to be accounted for.

Even despite all that, and assuming no changes, or few were made...the text has a lot of errors, I know, I just replayed through it, and all the same (slight, thankfully) errors are present.  It's charming, but irksome given I used to be an English major (poor excuse for one now though ;)).  The script would have to be altered drastically to fit the current conventions, and that means assuring consistency of current conventions WITH the Japanese script, not just the English.  Would you translate a book based on another translation, or would you go back to the original language to rework the translation?  If your answer was return to the original work, you'd be taking the professional route, which is what any company like Plus Alpha would do.  So even using the original PSX version would require twice the workload.  4x if we considering editing and cross-double checking to assure NPC's and labels are correct.  It's a lot easier to do it from scratch regardless, if you want to assure the text reads similarly to the other DQ's.

Nevermind name changing conventions like the spells and skills, or towns and characters...which you know they would require, as it would be expected.  Oh, and the puns.  Oh, the puns beyond the original.

Edited by ignasia7

Garda is just the Japanese name of Red. The Battle Road is just what the arena is called in the Japanese version so it's not like it's a different version of Morrie, it's just Morrie.

If you look up I kind of already posted those things.

Edited by The n00b Avenger

ignasia7, you still think we're getting Dragon Quest VII at E3 this year?

And now this game? :P

I don't know if we'll get anything for e3, but I do still believe we'll see DQ7 this year.  I'd LIKE to see it before e3, with a big fanfare as an attempt to actually garner attention.  LOL, anyhow, it's good to see you too Doctor RPG.

I'll be curious to see how Morrie attacks. Perhaps he'll summon monsters to deal damage and cast spells for him.