Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Is Dragon Quest Your Favorite Game Franchise?

Yes, most definitely.  Dragon Quest IV, III, IX, VI, and VIII are my favorites.

2nd would probably be the Zelda series

3rd a handful of the mario series

4th is the main Megaman series, plus Megaman X and X4.

5th a tie between Secret of Mana-and-Seiken Densetsu 3 vs. Chrono Trigger.

6th, but rising fast, is Shovel Knight--I beat the absolute hell out of that game's list of challenges and after about 5 play throughs in a row, I still wanted more content...hopefully coming sooner, rather than later.

7th is the Arc the Lad Collection

8th is Suikoden (I-IV, though I couldn't really get through IV)

9th is a shout-out to Sierra adventures PC games (King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc.)

10th is a shout-out to the Lucasfilm and LucasArts PC adventure games (Maniac Mansion & Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Loom, Sam & Max: Hit the Road, etc.)

redneckpride, nice shout-out to River City Ransom.  Grand Slam!  I had my bro over to visit my new place recently and we fired up the Wii Virtual Console download for some Co-op play.  If you have an Xbox360, the Scott Pilgrim game is an RCR styled 4-player beat-em-up, a modern take with a similar style of gameplay.

I've played and beaten Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits(Also a of fan of both Maru and Bebedora).

Thanks for all the responses, guys.  Now for me to answer my own question:

Dragon Quest is indeed one of my favorite franchises, along with Mario, Etrian Odyssey, and Shin Megami Tensei. Other than DQIX, I've enjoyed every game in the series that I've played (both main series and spin-off wise).  Dragon Quest was the first RPG I ever played (or to be precise it was Dragon Warrior Monsters back on the GBC) and it pretty much set in stone what type of RPGs I enjoy the most, the good ol' turn based styled RPG.

Musical, Dragon Quest is hands down my favorite, followed shortly by Etrian Odyssey.

I couldn't really rate where DQ would fall on that short list of franchises I mentioned.  To be honest, my mood really shifts around between which one I get the most enjoyment out of.  For example, a few years ago (before I joined the Den) I was REALLY into Dragon Quest, like obnoxiously into it for everyone around me. That's what happens when rekindle your love for a franchise you haven't played since childhood and never played any of the games apart from the GBC Monsters games...

Having said that, three of my favorite games are indeed Dragon Quest games: Dragon Quest VIII, Dragon Quest VII, and Dragon Quest IV.  For me, they were the perfect experience with great characters and stories, worlds, and the best of Sugiyama's work.

And of course, Dragon Quest has one of my favorite characters in any work of fiction: Yangus. COR BLIMEY! :thumbsup:

Definitely, though perhaps less so now than when I was younger.  The lack of titles being released makes it hard to stay enthusiastic.   Plus I wasn't a fan of the localization decisions of the DS games (though VI and the mobile port of III weren't bad)

Damnit, I just realized I had the opportunity for a linguistic Spinal Tap reference "my lists go to eleven"...totally lost now, totally lost. >.<

Toss Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, Mario Platformers, and Castlevania into a bag and shake.

Then draw out series at random.

Yeah, for me DQ and Zelda will probably be the two that I put the most money into and DQ over Zelda (I haven't bought a system just for a Zelda game) I have bought 2 for DQ

I thought Enix bought out Square after Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within tanked at the box office and nearly bankrupted them.

@Stepchan - I couldn't get into Twilight of Spirits, but I think it's because they changed the voice actors to English speaking.  There was something more badass about hearing the characters shout Japanese phrases that I really enjoyed.  The battle was more 3D within a circular-range, rather than the blocky board-game feel that I enjoyed from the Collection.  It felt like a different series to me.

@The Mystical One - Of course: Metroid.  Not sure how I forgot to mention a series I've can replay over 10 times and not get bored with.  I put it on par with Megaman.

Yeah, for me DQ and Zelda will probably be the two that I put the most money into and DQ over Zelda (I haven't bought a system just for a Zelda game) I have bought 2 for DQ

Same actually, I bought a DS for 9.

I thought Enix bought out Square after Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within tanked at the box office and nearly bankrupted them.

@Stepchan - I couldn't get into Twilight of Spirits, but I think it's because they changed the voice actors to English speaking.  There was something more badass about hearing the characters shout Japanese phrases that I really enjoyed.  The battle was more 3D within a circular-range, rather than the blocky board-game feel that I enjoyed from the Collection.  It felt like a different series to me.

I've never heard the original voice acting in the game. Admittedly, Twilight of the Spirits is the only one I actually played out of all them, which I decided to try out after reading an article about it on the site Flyingomelette.

I need to get back on topic.

In the Dragon Quest/Warrior category, I did start with the first game(Not the first one I beat though). Although the most basic of the series, it left a decent enough impression to try the further games. Dragon Warrior 3 is what really got me into the series. I originally beat each of the NES games for the first time in this order: 3>1>4>2.

Yes, most definitely.  Dragon Quest IV, III, IX, VI, and VIII are my favorites.

2nd would probably be the Zelda series

3rd a handful of the mario series

4th is the main Megaman series, plus Megaman X and X4.

5th a tie between Secret of Mana-and-Seiken Densetsu 3 vs. Chrono Trigger.

6th, but rising fast, is Shovel Knight--I beat the absolute hell out of that game's list of challenges and after about 5 play throughs in a row, I still wanted more content...hopefully coming sooner, rather than later.

7th is the Arc the Lad Collection

8th is Suikoden (I-IV, though I couldn't really get through IV)

9th is a shout-out to Sierra adventures PC games (King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc.)

10th is a shout-out to the Lucasfilm and LucasArts PC adventure games (Maniac Mansion & Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Loom, Sam & Max: Hit the Road, etc.)

redneckpride, nice shout-out to River City Ransom.  Grand Slam!  I had my bro over to visit my new place recently and we fired up the Wii Virtual Console download for some Co-op play.  If you have an Xbox360, the Scott Pilgrim game is an RCR styled 4-player beat-em-up, a modern take with a similar style of gameplay.

I've played and beaten Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits(Also a of fan of both Maru and Bebedora).

I absolutely adored Arc the Lad Collection and Twilight of the Spirits.  Those are two of my favorite games (although I guess it's technically five lol) I ever played.  

Too bad End of Darkness (or whatever it was called) was pretty crappy.  It kinda irritates me that Sony is sitting on all these great RPG franchises (Arc the Lad, Wild ARMs, Legend of Dragoon, Legaia, and Dark Cloud to name a few) and they never do anything with them. :/

I am also a pretty big Mega Man fan, especially for the original series, but I still think I would put Castlevania above Mega Man.  Both are about equal though.

@The Mystical One - Of course: Metroid.  Not sure how I forgot to mention a series I've can replay over 10 times and not get bored with.  I put it on par with Megaman.

Yeah, there are a lot of really great series.  Maybe I shouldn't limit my list at 11, and go all the way...and to what number you ask?  Why, infinity.

Well, there were actually three attempted deals.

The first was back in 1999, where Square approached Enix, thinking they could expand their company, as Dragon Quest was ultra popular, and would assure what they had always wanted: a second series that actually sells well, so they wouldn't be so FF dependent.  They backed down after Horii infamously postponed for another year, the release of DQ7, due to bugs.  I swear, investors are stupid, a game series with a proven track record, and the creator things there's more work to be done should be met with respect, not fear of potential failure, but they freaked out, Enix sold 30%, Square backed off.

When Enix was attempting to reorganize its US arm, it saw an opportunity, and knowing Square wanted to merge earlier, attempted to make a deal in 2000.  Trigger the losses from the movie.  Boom, Enix backs out.  Square, which was actually doing better than Enix at the time, was suddenly the weaker of the two companies, and there were fickle bs rumours the company might not recover.  They did, in less than 6 months.  Anyway, Enix backed out.

In 2001, Wada proposes he can not only expand the company, but broaden its core userbase by merging with Enix.  He's promoted to CEO/President.  Negotiations begin for the 3rd attempt to merge.  First deal was struck down, because while Square had recouped losses, and was far more efficient than ever before, Enix was still worth more money, and had greater overall sustained success in the interim, especially in light of "remakes" and "rereleases." So they offer a sale at full value of their stock.  The problem with this was Square's largest shareholder, its founder, would have no real power.  So they altered it to allow co-equal power of shareholders, and in 2003, the newly merged company was born.

April 1st.  April friggin' 1st is the date of the merger.

Square-Enix. Squarenix....Square Nix...Nix the Square (yes, I'm pulling damn Jeff Goldblum)...ok, so basically the merger was all a big joke.  One has to wonder why they went in on the Arkum games.  Maybe to...put a smile on your face?

No seriously, think about it.  It's been a big joke.  We've never seen any of Enix's old IP's beyond DQ and SO.  Square hasn't even touched 2/3rds of half their best properties pre-merger.  Where's my RS2 and 3 remakes?  What about an RS4?  How about a fully realized and finished Legend of Mana...it's a great game when you play laterally, but vertically, and attempting to battle in a circle?  What about a remake for Secret of Mana?  How about some western love for SD3?  Where's the real Mana 4?  Live A Live?  Treasure of the Rudras?  No CC love either?  Ok, no CT sequel, but how about a proper remake, include an HD version of the 2D game...you know, like how Konami gave players both the original Rondo of Blood and it's direct sequel, Symphony of the Night, buried in the Dracula X remake?  I can't think of other games, but damnit there are some!  I want to see a proper remake to 7th Saga, or an HD rerelease, complete with the spiritual sequel, Mystic Ark!?!  What about Lennus 1?  That game had some damn potential and sure was creative, or it's superior sequel, Lennus 2!

Totally separate game series, but has anyone here had the pleasure of playing Chaos Seed?

I remember being really upset when I heard about the Enix/Squaresoft merger.  I knew that it would compromise the quality of both companies.  In fact, it's never a good thing for the consumer when two competing companies merge. Never.  They will have press releases stating "we will better be able to provide consumers with... blah, blah, blah", but that's all BS.  Bottom line, mergers mean less competition and the consumers always suffer for it.

• Upvote 1

Dark Cloud was brought up. That and Grandia are my 2 favorites that are currently dead and gone. Awesome games, both.

Or all 6.

Awesome series, both.

Edited by Plattym3

One of my favorite (technically dead) games is Tataunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars. Great game with an awesome cast, but was overlooked only because it was on the Wii instead of PS3/360.

Dark Cloud was brought up. That and Grandia are my 2 favorites that are currently dead and gone. Awesome games, both.

Or all 6.

Awesome series, both.

Dark Cloud and Grandia....damnit, I shouldn't have jumped back in here.

Hmm, maybe I'll skip finishing my solo's, my DQ3-for-faq-purposes, my main DQ9, and my current FF12, and make a replay topic...yes, yes indeed.

I remember being really upset when I heard about the Enix/Squaresoft merger.  I knew that it would compromise the quality of both companies.  In fact, it's never a good thing for the consumer when two competing companies merge. Never.  They will have press releases stating "we will better be able to provide consumers with... blah, blah, blah", but that's all BS.  Bottom line, mergers mean less competition and the consumers always suffer for it.

There are a few exceptions, but definitely, the rule is the consumer loses out as the competition forcing higher standards is out of the picture.  Buyouts often work out for the worst as well.  A few exceptions are Monolith Soft being purchased by Nintendo, and Blizzard by Activision, but that's the exception.  Poor Sierra :/.  Poor poor Sierra.

I still get sad thinking about the fate of Sierra.  I grew up playing all of their games.

Then there's Sir Tech...and the original version of New World Computing, before 3D0's parent company bought them out.  Though some of the changes to the M&M series were positive, and the Heroes series was great.  Man...Sir Tech's death was a real blow, especially given how utterly awesome Wizardry 8 was.  If you've never played, it is THE best Wizardry.

Oh, and a new game company that had potential, but was ruined: Steam Powered Games.

Who can forget Rare.  Rare...once the cornerstone of all things platformer, adult, and shooter on a Nintendo system.  At least they're trying to make a come back.  I'm rooting for them!

Oh, and Maxis.  Man, sure Sim City 4 is THE best version, it's also the buggiest (technically, it's still an early beta...released way too soon given how ambitious it is and how buggy it is, and they should've spent more time fixing it before dumping money into the online craphole).  Now, there is no Maxis, there is just the shadow of a company, formerly known as Maxis.

Now, there is no Maxis, there is just the shadow of a company, formerly known as Maxis.

It's a damn shame too. I grew up playing SimAnt, SimCity, SimTown, SimPark, and The Sims... the last game I enjoyed by 'Maxis' was Spore, despite the mixed reviews. People hyped it too much, in my opinion. Regardless, I played the hell out of that game and enjoyed every second of it.

Edited by wintermute

Or all 6.

Awesome series, both.

Yeah I agree.  Dark Cloud and Grandia were fantastic games.

Since we are talking about currently dead and gone RPGs, what happened to Shadow Hearts?  1 and 2 were phenomenal...