Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Is Dragon Quest Your Favorite Game Franchise?

Honest question.  I know we're all fans of the series since we come to the Den to talk about and support the series, but I'm curious: is Dragon Quest your favorite game franchise?

Yes.

My second favorite game franchise is Crash Bandicoot, and my third is Spyro the Dragon. However, I really only like the original Spyro trilogy. Enter the Dragonfly and A Hero's Tail are both *meh*, and the rest of the series just went to crap.

Yes. By far. I buy every Rune Factory, Etrian Odyssey or Pokemon game, but I've stopped those for the mobile releases. Yes, I'll stop a brand new fun game to replay a DQ game just because it's on my iPad. Love it above all else.

Yes.

Absolutely.

Hmm, that's hard to say.

I don't generally view games through the prism of franchises, anymore than I do music through the prism of bands/singers/DJ's/Composers, or sports through the prism of teams (I hate watching sports...I detest it, though going to a game is fun, it's not what I have in mind when I think of sports...I prefer to play).

Sure, I have some favourite series, but I don't generally align myself as such.

I suppose in terms of overall game ratings, and how often I play, then yes, Dragon Quest likely constitutes this position.  Formerly held by Zelda, as a series.

I suppose if I had to rank all the series that have games I really really really really like:

1) Dragon Quest (DQ7, DQ3, DQ9, DQ6, DQ5...less so for DQ8, DQ4, DQ2, then DQ1)

2) Final Fantasy (FF12, FF6, FF9, FF5, FF4, FF11, FF1, FF8...much less so for FF3, FF7, FF2, then FF13)

3) Zelda (WW, LttP, OoT, AoL, LoZ, MC, OoS/A, TP, LA)

4) Xeno (Gears, Saga 3, Blade, Saga...much much much less so for Saga 2)

5) Resident Evil (RE4, RE0, RE1, RE3, CV, RE2...less so for RE5)

6) Etrian Odyssey (EO3, EO1, EO2)

7) Tales of... (Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Destiny, Phantasia, Eternia, Legendia)

8) Metal Gear (MGS1, MGS3, MG, MGS2, MG2)

9) Elder Scrolls (Morrowind, Daggerfall, Oblivion, Arena)

10) Might and Magic (MM2, MM3, MM4, MM7, MM8, MM5, MM)

11+...I'm not going to get any deeper than 10, and I'd likely alter the above if I really dug deep into other series I haven't played in awhile....OH right, I guess I should make a shoutout...

11) Phantasy Star (PS4, PSO ep1+2, PSO ver1 and ver2, PS2, PS1, Zero, PS ep4, PS3)

...yeah, that's all I'll do.

The problem is that there are a ton of games that wouldn't count as a series I tend to prefer to most of these games...so it's difficult to really classify a series as

Edited by ignasia7

Franchise/series, yes.

Although my all time favorite game is River City Ransom, the other Kunio games lack the sheer quality that RCR held.

Technos Samurai had the same free-roaming aspects, but the feudal Japanese setting kinda turned me off. Truthfully, I never finished it (mainly because I was partying and working overtime constantly back then, so maybe I'll revisit it).

Technos Hockey was a fun hockey game, but still just a hockey game. Same with Nintendo World Cup- a fun soccer game, but still just a soccer game.

Renegade was not a bad game, but still a typical beat em up- no free roaming, no keeping weapons on a permanent basis, etc.

As a result, my favorite game is not from my favorite franchise.

Dragon Quest is in my list, but first is Phantasy Star, followed by Ys.

Almost! Dragon Quest is my second favorite franchise, beaten out only by the MOTHER series. 

I'm glad someone asked this question!

One or two Drgaon Quest games rank among my favorite games but for the most part my top games aren't even in the series. Dragon Quest as a whole is one of my favorites though because the quality is (almost) always consistent compared to some of the rest. I need a moment to think and rank some series. Other then Pokemon, I can't really think of any series that I play consistently.

Yes, as well as Pokemon, they're the only two RPG series I play now.

Hmm, that's hard to say.

I don't generally view games through the prism of franchises, anymore than I do music through the prism of bands/singers/DJ's/Composers, or sports through the prism of teams (I hate watching sports...I detest it, though going to a game is fun, it's not what I have in mind when I think of sports...I prefer to play).

Sure, I have some favourite series, but I don't generally align myself as such.

I suppose in terms of overall game ratings, and how often I play, then yes, Dragon Quest likely constitutes this position. Formerly held by Zelda, as a series.

I suppose if I had to rank all the series that have games I really really really really like:

1) Dragon Quest (DQ7, DQ3, DQ9, DQ6, DQ5...less so for DQ8, DQ4, DQ2, then DQ1)

2) Final Fantasy (FF12, FF6, FF9, FF5, FF4, FF11, FF1, FF8...much less so for FF3, FF7, FF2, then FF13)

3) Zelda (WW, LttP, OoT, AoL, LoZ, MC, OoS/A, TP, LA)

4) Xeno (Gears, Saga 3, Blade, Saga...much much much less so for Saga 2)

5) Resident Evil (RE4, RE0, RE1, RE3, CV, RE2...less so for RE5)

6) Etrian Odyssey (EO3, EO1, EO2)

7) Tales of... (Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Destiny, Phantasia, Eternia, Legendia)

8) Metal Gear (MGS1, MGS3, MG, MGS2, MG2)

9) Elder Scrolls (Morrowind, Daggerfall, Oblivion, Arena)

10) Might and Magic (MM2, MM3, MM4, MM7, MM8, MM5, MM)

11+...I'm not going to get any deeper than 10, and I'd likely alter the above if I really dug deep into other series I haven't played in awhile....OH right, I guess I should make a shoutout...

11) Phantasy Star (PS4, PSO ep1+2, PSO ver1 and ver2, PS2, PS1, Zero, PS ep4, PS3)

...yeah, that's all I'll do.

The problem is that there are a ton of games that wouldn't count as a series I tend to prefer to most of these games...so it's difficult to really classify a series as

Platnotes version or Iggy's answer: Yes.
  • Upvote 1

Yes

My favorite are

DqV

DqIII

DqIX

DqVI

Yes, most definitely.  Dragon Quest IV, III, IX, VI, and VIII are my favorites.

2nd would probably be the Zelda series

3rd a handful of the mario series

4th is the main Megaman series, plus Megaman X and X4.

5th a tie between Secret of Mana-and-Seiken Densetsu 3 vs. Chrono Trigger.

6th, but rising fast, is Shovel Knight--I beat the absolute hell out of that game's list of challenges and after about 5 play throughs in a row, I still wanted more content...hopefully coming sooner, rather than later.

7th is the Arc the Lad Collection

8th is Suikoden (I-IV, though I couldn't really get through IV)

9th is a shout-out to Sierra adventures PC games (King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc.)

10th is a shout-out to the Lucasfilm and LucasArts PC adventure games (Maniac Mansion & Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Loom, Sam & Max: Hit the Road, etc.)

redneckpride, nice shout-out to River City Ransom.  Grand Slam!  I had my bro over to visit my new place recently and we fired up the Wii Virtual Console download for some Co-op play.  If you have an Xbox360, the Scott Pilgrim game is an RCR styled 4-player beat-em-up, a modern take with a similar style of gameplay.

To be honest , no. It used to be before Enix went bankrupt, and Square bought them out. Then smothered the lit wick in the american franchise because it didn't make enought money for them... making DQ almost extinct to us. I will always have a heart for DQ but Square killed it for me. They bought out Enix to kill DQ basically in America so they could win the FF vs DQ in USA fight. Of course if they did that in Japan there would be riots. I honestly believe DQ is more popular out there than FF, and that being said these are all speculations no facts behind them. If I am right it is all coincidence. But now to my favorite franchise now is Everquest. From EQ, to EQoA, to EQ 2 , Champions of Norrath games on PS2, and a few other adaptations EQ is my go to game franchise. 

Followed shortly behind is PSO ( Phantasy Star Online ) the nostalgia and just hearing the music just tugs at my heart strings. Sega knew how to make emotions in music and rpgs. It is too bad they stopped doing such over money. 

After that will be DQ so still 3rd on my list, but since they don't care for us over here I don't care to make them priority when there are other companies who are trying. 

Enix was the surviving company in the merger.

Enix was the surviving company in the merger.

Wow don't I feel stupid, I swore it was the other way around.  My whole stipulation is mute.

But now to my favorite franchise now is Everquest. From EQ, to EQoA, to EQ 2 , Champions of Norrath games on PS2, and a few other adaptations EQ is my go to game franchise.

Not too many EQ fans out there. Its definitely one of my well loved franchises. I miss it everyday. Cant wait for EQ Next. :)

As far as the topic goes, DQ is probably my favorite franchise still but my favorite game remains Ni no Kuni.

I dont feel that Enix was the survivor neither.

Neither was really the survivor.  The idea of Enix being the "surviving" company isn't correct either.  If the 2002 agreement was accepted, then yes, Enix had purchased Square.  However the 2003 agreement assured that Square's largest shareholders, and most of the upper echelon of the board of the surviving company, was Square.  Plus Enix took a MASSIVE stock hit of 0.29 per every $1 of Square's stock, for every purchase of Square into Enix's stock, assuring that the total purchase amount into both companies was about equal in total expenditure (this assured Square's major stock holders had equal controlling share, or they would have no say and Enix's largest holders would have had a majority share).

So it actually was a mutual buyout.

The difference though, is that Enix won out in two ways.

1) In-house development teams, meaning no need to always worry about deals with 3rd parties (recall DQ4 PSX and the US release, which was finished btw, and read to go).

2) Square had a direct european presence, and a far larger operation in the US market.  Enix would have to do much less work.

The main reason why we've only seen Square games, except for Star Ocean and Dragon Quest, is because Enix owned only the rights to Star Ocean and Dragon Quest (the titles).  So Tri-Ace could not develop a Star Ocean game without Enix's, then SE's permission, thus the games are released and paid for by Enix, now SE.  Same with Dragon Quest.

The bulk of Enix's titles were almost solely owned by the companies who developed them.  This is likely one reason why Square purchased Quest before the merger, to assure they had full rights to those games, and to be a tad bit more appealing as a development studio.  Plus Quest had some of the freshest and most unique minds in the gaming world.  Matsuno came from Quest, for instance.  Quest and TOSE were, at the time, the only two studios that Square had contracted out to.

Square, even after Wada had removed all obstacles, and became the first CEO/President since the founder of the company stepped down (the positions were split for a few years after that), had wanted to expand their horizons beyond just Final Fantasy.  They wanted to assure they had other series that had sales potential, and had for years been trying desperately to create a new cult classic that grew to the same level of fame as Final Fantasy had.  The problem here is that they never took stock in HOW FF became popular, and never took the right steps to build popularity properly, so this element was not a Wada problem, more like a problem with the company itself.

Square NEEDED Dragon Quest.  The problem is the company has never understood wholly how to make a game popular anywhere.  The only time they ever grasped this, was during the Nintendo era.

Nintendo is the only reason Final Fantasy 1 sold.  In Japan to a lesser degree, in the US to a great degree.  Square learned the hard way, after FF1, that FF2 and 3 would not sell on their own.  So they campaigned like hell for FF4.  They failed at doing enough for FF4 in the US, so we had to wait for FF5 and Square being ready with a plan, but they seemed to grasp WHY FF4 sold roughly 1/4 what FF1 sold in the US, as once they had FF5 ready to rumble, FF6 was nearing completion, so they dropped that, and just started teasing the hell out of FF6 in the US, then did I think 5 spreads in Nintendo Power, and that awesome Mog campaign.  FF6 outsold even FF1.  After that Sony took over for FF7, and I would argue the core reason FF7 took off as it did.  Square got lazy, and unlike the NES and SNES era, where they saw either small gains (NES), or massive gains per new release (SNES), they saw much smaller gains per.  Final Fantasy has been that way ever since, though 13 and 15 are both on separate systems, instead of consecutive titles on the same system.

Anyway, the point is, Square would have no desire to destroy Dragon Quest.  Most likely it's due to the laziness of the PSX era, and their assumption of falling back on the old...we're Square, things sell because we stamp our brand on it.  It's the core reason why they've never been able to properly grow any new series since FF7.  They were spoiled.  They expect sales, they don't know how to create sales.  Dragon Quest's treatment is a direct result and follows alongside this same mindset, as it's seen the same treatment as most of their other games that die in obscurity.  Nier 2 was advertised far less than Nier 1 was.  Mana games had seen far less advertisement with each subsequent release.  CT's main sales come, not because of media campaigns, but due to the sheer volume of fans pushing the game for years.  How often does CT enter into someone's "must play" list, and which game do you think is used as the most common "recommended" as an RPG regardless of who is asking, or on what forum.  CT is synonymous with "default" in RPG terminology, and has been since AOL internet chatrooms were a thing.

So it's a combo of things.  Square seems to have taken the lead for those who prefer Enix releases, but only because Enix never really owned anything, while Square owned all rights to anything they touched (smart).  Plus, the companies Enix contracted out to had probably 10, maybe 30 other games they made with other companies (the exclusion being Quintet, where the bulk of their releases were through Enix, but Quintet retained full rights, and SE never purchased, or Quintet's founder never engaged in teh sale...who knows what happened, maybe SE never cared enough or weren't about to pony up beyond a certain amount, plus it's not like there's much fan angst over the lack of Quintet releases, especially as time goes on), and it would be more difficult to purchase single game rights if the company still exists, but is in a defunct status, yet legally still owns all rights, and SE does not wish to buy out the whole company for one, two, three, even 10 games.

For Square fans, and for most people, Enix took over/absorbed Square, given the nature of the two companies, and Enix stood to gain more from the deal.

The truth though is neither swallowed the other, and the merged company never benefited, as they never restructured, nor sought to purchase rights to Enix products, or absorb the more obscure developers Enix had contracted with.  In a way this is a positive, since none of the programmers and development studios, outside of Tri-Ace, and the Dragon Quest team, had been prepared or have been able to handle the shift to 3D.  However, in this day and age, with 2D making a strong comeback, and staying strong, now would be a good idea for Square-Enix to reconsider purchasing rights to Enix games like EVO, Brainlord, and anything Quintet touched their hands on.  Even hiring back out and absorbing some of those content creators, as they could certainly shine...as they only seem to with 2D systems.  Hell, who wants a 3D version of Actraiser?  I don't.  I want a new 2D, high quality HD 2D version of Actraiser, and a rebuild of Actraiser 2, with the creation system.  Works great as a 2d SideScrolling platformer with RPG elements.  Maple Story on its own is proof this model can still pull in revenue, and Actraiser offers so much more.  Nevermind their other stellar, and far more profound games (Terranigma...*salivates*).

• Upvote 1

Did someone say Terranigma? I love that game.

In regards to my favorite series, I don't really have one. Dragon Quest would be up there if I did, though.

Edited by wintermute

Respect. That was a very enlightening comment. +1 for that.

No it's not. It's one of my favorites but there's several franchises that I enjoy more.

Metal Gear is my favorite franchise and Hideo Kojima is my favorite game creator. I'd say I would rank Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Silent Hill, and Castlevania over Dragon Quest.

Some of the DQ games are just too long, drawn-out, and bloated (DQ 6/7/9) that it negatively affects their pacing and that's something I wish Enix would focus on. Still plenty of DQ games are so high in quality that I would say they are among the best video games I have ever played (DQ 3/4/5/8 come to mind).

Maybe ten years ago DQ might have been my second favorite franchise but I've fallen out of favor with a lot of JRPGs that tend to pad their games with artificial bloat just so they can claim "this game takes a hundred hours to finish!" Personally I find an enjoyable 30-40 hour RPG with no down time or bloat over a never-ending 80+ hour RPG where half that time is spent not really being all that entertaining. I'm not singling out DQ here as it's become a trend in a lot of RPGs.

As far as favorite RPG franchise it's either Final Fantasy (mainly for FF 1-9 and 12; don't really care for 10, 11, or 13) or Dragon Quest. I love them both so much but I tend to favor the more simplistic NES and SNES installments of both franchises. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that I'm older and can't play as much so games that don't require a stupid amount of time offer much more replay value to me.

It also doesn't help that the majority of the DQ spin-off games can't seem to make it out of Japan anymore. :(

But now to my favorite franchise now is Everquest. From EQ, to EQoA, to EQ 2 , Champions of Norrath games on PS2, and a few other adaptations EQ is my go to game franchise.Not too many EQ fans out there. Its definitely one of my well loved franchises. I miss it everyday. Cant wait for EQ Next. :)

After Daybreak bought SOE ( at first I was pissed, but it was the best damn thing that happened to EQ and SOE games ) the very first month they made a decent loot system for EQ. I actually went back to EQ just because they are fixing a whole lot of stuff SOE broke over the years. There is talk of EQoA making a come back , EQ Next is getting another overhaul ( thank god at its rate it was a Minecraft meets Rift clone and wasn't even EQ anymore ) and they are actually listening on Forums and fans. Granted they just did the buyout and these things will probably dwindle away as most companies do, but let's hope not. EQ is a gem that needs to be polished and resold. I welcome Daybreak with open arms.