Sign in to follow this  
MKVarana

Team Chat

Hey guys.

Reading Krw's recent post about struggling to find enough people for card runs over the weekend got me thinking:  we could use a team chat app.

Since SE hasn't given us one for use outside the game (remind me to post this in their suggestion page one of these days), we would need our own.

What I would like would be an IM program along the lines of LINE or AIM that we can use on both our phones and PCs, that supports persistent group chats (like how group chats on Facebook do not close until you leave them, even if you log off).  I haven't looked into any of the ones I listed to see if they support this, so one of those might work, tbh.

What do you guys think?  Is there interest in something like this, to make it easier to contact each other when we're not logged in?  If so, are there any suggestions for the app?

Skype??

Probably Skype.

Only downside being someone spam calling the group when it's not wanted or something.

I think there are some Den team members who are Anti-Skype, so that probably won't work out (though I could be mistaken).

Any other ideas?

Edited by MKVarana

I don't understand why people are anti-skype, or anti-mumble, anti-steam, etc.

I think there are some Den team members who are Anti-Skype, so that probably won't work out (though I could be mistaken).

I... hope you are mistaken.

For those that dislike it, what's wrong with Skype?  It's just a modern instant messenger with optional voice chat that uses very little memory (these days anyway).  I hardly see a reason to use anything else. 

Well, I would vote Skype as well, but I don't have much of a preference and tbh I think whatever we could get everyone to agree on would be just fine. 

You guys are free to setup a 3rd party program to coordinate with one another if you like, I'm just not going to make anything like that a requirement for being on the team (and I know none of you are saying it should be).

I generally don't participate in things like this myself though.  I find in-game typing to be just fine and I'd rather not have to keep putting down my controller to go over and access my computer while I'm in the game.

I find in-game typing to be just fine and I'd rather not have to keep putting down my controller to go over and access my computer while I'm in the game.

The concept was more for the scenarios where in-game chat isn't possible.

For example, last night I was about to help Mimas with a quest, but my home internet crashed.  I would have used my phone to let her know what happened quickly, so that she knew I was coming back after I fixed it.

Other major uses are, in my mind, stuff like:  I'm not on DQX and people are looking for someone to form a group for cards/metal runs/sugoroku/whatever.  With an external chat program, they'll have a way to invite me that I'll be able to see quickly enough to be able to possibly join them.

I don't have a problem with Skype myself, but I'd have to ask for a strict no calling policy if we were going to go with that. You can easily set up another small group to deal with a party call or something like that. Since my schedule is typically different from most people I know, I tend to get woken up by random group calls that have nothing to do with me what so ever and I would rather avoid that. Overall the point is just that calls can be centralized to the people you want to participate pretty easily in Skype, and there's no real reason to call the entire group at once.

I'm all for a text messaging thing for the team, absolutely. I hate the character limit so much (it's way too small for English). Anything to get away from that is welcome in my book.

I don't have a problem with Skype myself, but I'd have to ask for a strict no calling policy if we were going to go with that. You can easily set up another small group to deal with a party call or something like that. Since my schedule is typically different from most people I know, I tend to get woken up by random group calls that have nothing to do with me what so ever and I would rather avoid that. 

I'ma call you every time I play PoE or HoN while you sleep even though you don't play them yourself.  Every.  Night.

...them not thinking that through, which is an incredibly easy fix, was why I kept my tablet uncharged all the time last year.  That was just inconsiderate since they knew the timezone differences.  Anyway, we're all better than that.

Sorry to take so long to add to this, but my thought is that we use the Den IRC chat.

http://www.woodus.com/den/site/irc_chat.php

Channel: #SKchat

Servers: Dalnet, Efnet, Esper, Rizon

There are all sorts of IRC apps for phones out there as well, so you can choose one that works on your phone and had features that will give you an alarm if someone writes something or the like.

What port?

I connected to the IRC channel via my phone.

I think it's informing me of all the message in there, though it hasn't been much yet.

What port?

Mine is using 6667, if that helps.

Bumping this to suggest Discord, assuming one wasn't setup for the DQX players already and I just wasn't a cool enough kid to sit with you guys for lunch.

Completely free.

Download optional.

Mobile app available.

Both text and voice chat available.  Each server has a separate channel for text and voice.  You can also add more of each if you want.

Is currently my love interest.  You're now the second best at what you do, Skype.  Sorry!

Made a mock server for those interested.

Edited by Phanir

I would strongly recommend checkout out Discord. It has all the functionality of IRC and also includes a free voice chat server, which is of course totally optional to use for those not inclined, and preserves chat history even when you're not connected--something IRC is incapable of without heavy bot integration.

Discord can be found here: https://discordapp.com/

Bumping one last time for more Discord love.  Here's a working link.  Clicky clicky.  Currently have... 6 people.

Server has 10% more King Slimes, 325% more Runana, and 100% more bots for random chat shenanigans as of a few minutes ago.  Adding more custom commands in the future.  Again, the mobile version is sexy, you can use the web version if you want, and I think an account still isn't 100% needed unless you want to save your name.

Plus, you can flip Ashes.

26f1d6a0c9.png

Edited by Phanir