Movie thread

Faust

Watched Onward. I found it excellent. My wife... had a DQ Your Story experience. I guess she had a very preconceived notion going into the movie of what the ending was going to be, and it was not that, so she's kinda upset by it.

Bring a Kleenex or 2. To wipe up drool, yeah, drool. No tears, no not that.

On 4/3/2020 at 9:30 PM, Plattym3 said:

Watched Onward. I found it excellent. My wife... had a DQ Your Story experience. I guess she had a very preconceived notion going into the movie of what the ending was going to be, and it was not that, so she's kinda upset by it.

Bring a Kleenex or 2. To wipe up drool, yeah, drool. No tears, no not that.

I just got done watching Onward myself. It was a pretty good movie, and one I can relate too more than I was expecting. Before someone makes a wise crack, I’m referring to the reason why the boys go on their adventure.

I enjoyed the dynamic between the two brothers, their mom essentially being a badass Elaine Benes was hilarious thanks to Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and I liked the mix of fantasy with modern day. The duo being out in the country and the scenery/landmarks have me some real Shadow of the Colossus & Zelda: Breath of the Wild vibes.

I liked the ending, and I thought it totally made sense. Good movie all around, and I’d love to see a possible follow up to see more of the world.

I’ve watched a ton of garbage in my life, yet somehow I couldn’t find it in me to sit through more than 30 minutes of the Pet Semetary remake. It’s really just that awful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s been months since it happened but I’ve been trying to figure out what possessed my brother and his wife to watch Midsommar with their mothers sight unseen. They couldn’t have based their decision off of Ari Aster’s last movie. My mom loathes horror. And she was certainly not going to like a two and a half hour slow burn horror movie by a hipster movie distributor. I just now got around to watching it, and...oh boy. That’s a yikes.

I’ve watched a ton of garbage in my life,

Speaking of which, as if the whole pandemic wasn't bad enough my wife decided we'd watch the newest Star Wars trilogy this week. Final one today.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Speaking of which, as if the whole pandemic wasn't bad enough my wife decided we'd watch the newest Star Wars trilogy this week. Final one today. emoji2961.png

I heard bad things about the third one so I haven’t watched it, but the first two are great.

I’ve been watching bizarre horror movies on Shudder most of the time since the pandemic started.

I heard bad things about the third one so I haven’t watched it, but the first two are great.
I’ve been watching bizarre horror movies on Shudder most of the time since the pandemic started.
It comes down to 2 things for me I've come to realize.

1. It's #$*! Sci Fi. Shooting a laser from one planet to another one across the galaxy? And it can be seen by people on other planets? I guess I'm more used to Star Trek that follows a lot of set rules and keeps the science at least realistic. And every time a ship appears in orbit people always look up and see it? What? I live close enough to see rocket launches from Cape Canaveral and you can't see a damn thing. Cinematic, but it bugs me.

2. The series pisses me off from a character standpoint. I loved the characters I grew up with. I got my happily ever after in the 80s. Then a few years ago I got told that all those characters #$*!ed up and now let's kill them all! Yeah, not down for that.

1. It's #$*! Sci Fi. Shooting a laser from one planet to another one across the galaxy? And it can be seen by people on other planets? I guess I'm more used to Star Trek that follows a lot of set rules and keeps the science at least realistic. And every time a ship appears in orbit people always look up and see it? What? I live close enough to see rocket launches from Cape Canaveral and you can't see a damn thing. Cinematic, but it bugs me.

2. The series pisses me off from a character standpoint. I loved the characters I grew up with. I got my happily ever after in the 80s. Then a few years ago I got told that all those characters #$*!ed up and now let's kill them all! Yeah, not down for that.

I can’t really dispute the first part because it’s colored by your preference for Star Trek so you like a bit more realism in your science fiction, but I personally lean on the “fiction” part of “science fiction” so that kind of stuff doesn’t bother me. I remember the bombs dropping in Episode VIII really bugged people for that reason.

As for the second part, 

Spoiler

I personally really like when people take chances on showing a different side to characters you know. The last time I truly got angry a childhood character was messed around with was back in 2012 when they killed Peter Parker (twice!) and gave him the most ignoble death you can imagine and Doctor Octopus was running around in his body pretending to be him...and then it ended up being one of the best storylines in a Spider-Man comic in recent memory and it did a lot to make Doc Ock a much more interesting character.

Luke, Han, and Leia can’t be the same characters forever after 30 years. It makes sense that Luke would lose his faith after being tempted by the Dark Side. Wasn’t he almost tempted in the Original Trilogy? In the end, he pulled himself together and died a hero. You can argue with the way he died being dumb, sure, but I personally thought his character was treated well. Harrison Ford has been asking for his character to die since Episode V so it’s not too outrageous that he died. I heard that Leia dies in Episode IX, which seemed the opposite of their plans but they had to change course when Carrie Fisher died in real life.

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Point 1 is solved by it not actually being sci fi in a meaningful sense. Star Wars has always been more science fantasy/space opera. It's about space wizards who live in the past-future.

Point 2 I heartily agree with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I’d have to echo point 2 as well. I don’t have a nostalgic attachment to Star Wars, but the ending for Return of the Jedi was a good send off for the characters. I haven’t seen the new ones, but I’ve heard enough to know to brace myself should I ever watch them.

I’ve had times where I really don’t like how character story changes have been implemented. DQ8 3DS being a prime example. I absolutely hate how Marcello gets more screen time after what happens on the Isle of Neos. That final cutscene between him and Angelo was the perfect way to end things and left you wondering what exactly happened to Marcello. What they did with him in the 3DS version and the “closure,” they implemented in that new dungeon was entirely unnecessary. I will stand by that opinion that they ruined the character relationship in the 3DS version.

Sorry, don’t mean to rant. I just really don’t like the changes they made related to Marcello.

Point 1 is solved by it not actually being sci fi in a meaningful sense. Star Wars has always been more science fantasy/space opera. It's about space wizards who live in the past-future.
Point 2 I heartily agree with.
Yeah, I know. It's likely because I'm so very much into Sci Fi & Science in general that it bugs me so much. I've read & watched so many hundreds of books & stories that always go out of their way to explain the science behind odd things or write it off as magic then when Star Wars just ignores it and has inaccuracies it bugs me.
I’d have to echo point 2 as well. I don’t have a nostalgic attachment to Star Wars, but the ending for Return of the Jedi was a good send off for the characters. I haven’t seen the new ones, but I’ve heard enough to know to brace myself should I ever watch them.
I’ve had times where I really don’t like how character story changes have been implemented. DQ8 3DS being a prime example. I absolutely hate how Marcello gets more screen time after what happens on the Isle of Neos. That final cutscene between him and Angelo was the perfect way to end things and left you wondering what exactly happened to Marcello. What they did with him in the 3DS version and the “closure,” they implemented in that new dungeon was entirely unnecessary. I will stand by that opinion that they ruined the character relationship in the 3DS version.

Sorry, don’t mean to rant. I just really don’t like the changes they made related to Marcello.
He's a character I just wished we could kill. Dead. I've said it many times about video games. You go through and kill 1000 monsters and meaningless soldiers, but NOOOOOO, can't just kill the bad guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up watching the True Grit remake last night and finishing it this morning. Hulu just kind of stopped the movie last night so I finished it off this morning.

I actually really enjoyed the remake. Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn really worked and I felt like he got more out of the role than John Wayne did in the original (no offensive to John Wayne, but he just acted like John Wayne but gruff in the original), the girl who played Maddie in the remake was much more likeable and believable, and I enjoyed how they showed the change in her character and demeanor as events took place, and overall I thought the remake had some well done changes that made the film standout instead of feeling JUST like a remake.

I’m mixed in is Matt Damon as the Texas Ranger. He did a fine job acting, don’t get me wrong, but...I’m not sure, something just didn’t click. I don’t really remember how his character was portrayed in the original film, so I may have to watch that again to get a better idea.

I will say the main villains, Ned Pepper and Tom Cheany, were a mix too. Ned Pepper in the remake was, in my opinion, a much better character both in his actions and his appearance. Just one look at the guy and you could tell he was a threat. Still like Robert Duvall from the original since he acted tough and like a threat, but Pepper’s actor in the remake (like Jeff Bridges) made more out of the role for the short time he was in the film. Meanwhile, I would say the opposite for Tom Cheany’s actors. Original not only looked like the character Tom should be, but acted as the part. Josh Brolin in the remake...not so much. I did like how he was always muttering to himself and seemed a little unsteady, but the original did a better job making Tom out to be the weasel and backstabber he was built up as.

All that being said, I’m glad I watched the remake. I had been wanting to for some time, so Hulu having it available was a plus. I’d like to pick it up on BluRay at some point and will definitely revisit it and the original many more times to enjoy the film. I don’t think you can go wrong with either movie, but for me, the remake really was a standout movie that can easily be enjoyed as it’s own creation and not with the “Its a remake,” stamp on it.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

#$*! you wanna talk about an over saturation of streaming services, I just found out apparently even Pure Flix, the big dog of Christian movie companies (God’s Not Dead, I Am Not Ashamed), has a streaming platform. Their movies can be fun to watch ironically but they only have like three or four good ones so I don’t know if it’s worthwhile if you’re into irony watching bad movies like I am.

• 3 months later...

Mulan was the first movie I saw in theaters and it holds a special place in my heart as my favorite Disney movie, with Hunchback of Notre Dame inching ever so slightly behind, so I was initially really excited to see that Disney was actually gonna try something different with its remake instead of just repeating the movie, except with flesh and blood actors. I was looking forward to seeing it in again in a theater. And then COVID ruined everyone’s lives.

I was disappointed to find out that, not only is it not getting a theatrical release, it’s being paywalled off on Disney+ (and you won’t be able to watch it if you cancel your subscription btw). There was also the drama just a few month prior where the star came out against the Hong Kong protests. So my enthusiasm for this movie is basically a minefield where just watching it would put me in the box of people that support her words (I do not) and feeding greedy Disney. The fact is, she was paid for her work and the movie was likely mostly done when she said what she did and $30 isn’t that big a deal when that would’ve been the price of admission between me and my mom, who I was gonna see it with since I first saw the original with her. This a bizarre circumstance for a movie I was looking forward to and is getting a positive reception.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Console Wars, based on the book I read earlier this year, has a documentary adaptation on CBS All Access, so I think this weekend I’ll get a free trial and give it a watch and then cancel.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm watching Teen Titans Go! to the Movies.

I just noticed something hilarious. Superman is voiced by Nicolas Cage. His dream came true.

• Like 1

It’s always a joy watching Kirk Cameron’s Saving Christmas. This would be the 5th year in a row. That makes it a tradition.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I’m apparently the only person I know that liked Wonder Woman 1984.
You're the only one I know too! Heck, my Google feed hasn't even shown me a positive review. However, I've yet to see it.

Watched Soul last night. Turned it on for the kids last night fully expecting to do some work on the computer while they watched and it captivated me.

2 hours ago, eal said:

I’m apparently the only person I know that liked Wonder Woman 1984.

Uh oh. Is it like the second new Star Wars trilogy where everyone hated it for some reason? I remember that was a follow up movie where everyone was not happy about it...for some reason.

Uh oh. Is it like the second new Star Wars trilogy where everyone hated it for some reason? I remember that was a follow up movie where everyone was not happy about it...for some reason.
Deep down, everyone hates Star Wars for their own reasons.

Watched Soul last night. Turned it on for the kids last night fully expecting to do some work on the computer while they watched and it captivated me.

I’m looking forward to watching that movie. I’ve been excited for it since we got a good look at it. Gives me an Inside Out vibe, which I think Soul and Inside share the same director.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

There’s a saying: “nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans.”

But anyway, Wonder Woman 1984 was very long and people had issues with the villains, among other things.

Personally, comics are inherently silly so I’m able to watch a movie I know stars a woman that flies an invisible jet and uses a lasso to fight a woman that turns into a Cheetah and understand that I will get a silly movie.

I did have a couple issues with some of the time management that went on with this movie. There were a lot of balls to juggle and yet somehow not all of them were handled smoothly despite how long it is. There are some issues with both Maxwell Lord and Cheetah. And how we’re introduced to Wonder Woman’s armor was so out of left field. But to get into specifics about any of that would be spoilerific, so I’ll just refrain for now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eal said:

Personally, comics are inherently silly so I’m able to watch a movie I know stars a woman that flies an invisible jet and uses a lasso to fight a woman that turns into a Cheetah and understand that I will get a silly movie.

Like Man of Steel? The bullet bounces off of Superman's eyeball, and everyone goes "Yeah, right." We accepted the alien thing, the flying and super strength stuff, but there was no way that would happen in real life :P

How was Cheetah? Did they do a decent job with her?