Sign in to follow this  
Leonardo

[Free labor] I'm a developer and I need experience

As some of you know I'm Brazilian, graduated in Information Tecnology last year and I'm currently working with Management Consultant for the last 2 years.

Turns out that I'm not really interested in Management Consulting anymore. All that calls and conversations about Finance, Budgets, Goals, SWOT analysis, Key Performance Indicators and everything else is kinda boring. I didn't sign up on I.T. for this. I wanna build cool things that matter. Develop apps, sites and games to keep people entertained.

But I have no development experience. I have academic knowledge and some free courses experience building simple aplications using C, C++ or Java and the internet trio (HTML, CSS and Javascript). But never build something real or something from the scratch.

I have plans to become a better programmer and leave the country in a couple of years and to do that I need experience and an impressive resumé.

Anyway. All this history just to ask if you have a project, or know someone who has, and need programmers to help you. I need to build my portfolio, and you probably need cheap labour. So I can do it for free right now. You just have to have a little more patience since I'll need more time getting to know the tools and patterns as I'm building my way to the top.

I'm posting in development forums and social networks too. And I really appreciate if anyone can help me. 

I can contribute via web and we can create a schedule for me to send the updates. Something like that.

All I'm asking is a chance. Help this man go for his dream if you can. 

I always thought it would be interesting if someone built a web app (java, javascript) of the Pachisi tracks :)

But I have no development experience. I have academic knowledge and some free courses experience building simple aplications using C, C++ or Java and the internet trio (HTML, CSS and Javascript). But never build something real or something from the scratch.

First piece of advise work on analytical thinking and problem solving skills then start coding small things from scratch and then start working on bigger things. Two if your going to use someone else's code find out what License (ex BSD, GPL, or MPL) it is under if you can't find a License contact the Author of the code to ask before you use it you save your self and anyone your programming for the hassle of having to redo everything. An other thing learn about the different types of Licenses.

I have plans to become a better programmer and leave the country in a couple of years and to do that I need experience and an impressive resumé.

Anyway. All this history just to ask if you have a project, or know someone who has, and need programmers to help you. I need to build my portfolio, and you probably need cheap labour. So I can do it for free right now. You just have to have a little more patience since I'll need more time getting to know the tools and patterns as I'm building my way to the top.

I'm posting in development forums and social networks too. And I really appreciate if anyone can help me. 

I can contribute via web and we can create a schedule for me to send the updates. Something like that.

Without writing your own programs from scratch and without experience don't expect to land writing code for some of the bigger projects you wold just wind up frustrated and wind up on giving up programming.

I always thought it would be interesting if someone built a web app (java, javascript) of the Pachisi tracks :)

How about an app that when you win a Pachisi prize you can transfer it to your DQ3 mobile save's inventory?

Leonardo, It just so happens that I am currently working on a full scale RPG with a very small team.

We might have something for you.

That's a great idea, Woodus. Maybe a web app that could evolve into an Android App later? Humn... I'll think about that and come back with something.

First piece of advise work on analytical thinking and problem solving skills then start coding small things from scratch and then start working on bigger things. Two if your going to use someone else's code find out what License (ex BSD, GPL, or MPL) it is under if you can't find a License contact the Author of the code to ask before you use it you save your self and anyone your programming for the hassle of having to redo everything. An other thing learn about the different types of Licenses.

Without writing your own programs from scratch and without experience don't expect to land writing code for some of the bigger projects you wold just wind up frustrated and wind up on giving up programming.

I'm graduated in Information Systems, ethanej. Already worked a lot on analytical thinking, algoritms, problem solving skills, data structures and programming. What I'm lacking is real world experience. What we develop in University is far from the scale and complexity of real life applications. 

I've learned a lot from University, but since I'm working as a Consultant I'm far away from development teams. Now I can't apply to intern programs anymore and nobody would hire someone graduated but without exp.

About writing my own programs and the frustration, I agree with you. Right now I have no skills to try anything. That's why I'm willing to do small projects for free, just to learn and let people know my name.

How about an app that when you win a Pachisi prize you can transfer it to your DQ3 mobile save's inventory?

That would be hard since it will have to modify your save file from the oficial game. But I think it's the same principle of hacking save files like people use to do with Pokémon games. 

If I remember correctly some of the challenges from Pachisi Tracks demands you to defeat some enemies using your hero. If I can access the save files from the mobile game that challenge can be replicated.

Leonardo, It just so happens that I am currently working on a full scale RPG with a very small team.

We might have something for you.

Really? Wow, that would be great. Thanks Kalmana. I'll PM you right now. =D

Try some programming competitions:
Browse Top Coder and see if anything is up your alley. Real companies/government entities(NASA :) ) have programers compete to solve their problems.
http://www.topcoder.com/asteroids/tracker/
https://community.topcoder.com/longcontest/?module=ViewProblemStatement&rd=16166&pm=13491

Code Chef is more towards the theoretical side, so it's probably not what you're looking for.

Try some programming competitions:

Browse Top Coder and see if anything is up your alley. Real companies/government entities(NASA :) ) have programers compete to solve their problems.

http://www.topcoder.com/asteroids/tracker/

https://community.topcoder.com/longcontest/?module=ViewProblemStatement&rd=16166&pm=13491

Code Chef is more towards the theoretical side, so it's probably not what you're looking for.

Haven't heard about Top Coder or Code Chef before. Thanks, Faolan. I'm signing up in both right now.