Xenoblade Chronicles

I downloaded it to N3DS last night, and have been enjoying ever since. Anyone else play this, or the original Wii release?

I owned the Wii disc, but when I learned this was available for N3DS, I loaned my disc to a good friend across the country (shipped it to him) so he could share the experience without shelling out over $70US (!).

Long story short, who's really feeling it? Who's pressing on and on and on? Who knows what time it is?

(hint: It's Reyn time)

I bought the game when it came out for the Wii.  I pre-ordered a copy, and I'm glad I did after finding out how hard it was to come by.  Honestly, why did Nintendo think it would be a good idea to make it exclusive to GameStop only? Oy yoy yoy...

Anyway, from my own experience I enjoyed it, though I only got to the head of the Bionis before I stopped playing.  I made it into the dungeon not far from the big city, but the duo boss inside the dungeon became a halting point.  That was about....a year and half ago, I say, but I just haven't had enough interest to go back and try again.

I liked exploring the environments and seeing the world of the game, but the combat and never ending side quests weren't really my thing.  I did like the story and characters up to that point though, and even though I haven't beaten the game I would go back just to experience the story and character interactions again, though at a lower difficulty so I can get past my roadblocks haha.

Nintendo doesn't know how to sell this game at all. First release: GameStop exclusive. Second release: New 3DS exclusive. I will never be able to play this game in my lifetime.

Guess you'll have to settle it....IN SMAAAAASH! using Shulk all the time.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

When did I say he wasn't...? Is there an underlying meaning to my post?

It's cause I'm bla- er, yellow, isn't it?!

I'm actually white, but SHHHHHH!

Where were we...? Oh yea, right, Xenoblade. Now THIS is the Monado's power!

I have it on the Wii. I haven't finished it, but I really like it! It's pretty good- and I really enjoy it's soundtrack!

One of my favorite tracks was Gahr Plains. Glad they brought it back in Smash 4.

You know how Bart was never allowed to see The Itchy and Scratchy Movie? I'm kinda the same way, but with Xenoblade.

Back when the Wii version wasn't exactly new but not off the shelves either, I set out to purchase a copy. Checked out the Gamestop inventory system and there were several in my area that had copies in stock. So I went to them... none of them did! Normally that was OK since most of the employees were helpful. As my search expanded to the outer rim, I stopped by one store manned by a bunch of brats who just wanted to play around and made no attempt to help me. One of those "how much can we screw around so he'll go away" scenarios. Funny because in the 20 minutes it took for them to pull this, if they had the game, I would've given them money and been gone in less than five minutes! Since getting there was a 40 minute drive, I wasn't too pleased.

Dropped by another store on the other end. When I finally got to the counter, I asked for the game and the dude instantly said, "We don't have it." I've been checking the inventory for a couple days. It said you have three. Could you please look." He turns around, half ass opens the door, doesn't look, closes it, turns back around and says, "Yeah, we don't have it." This entire exchange happened in less than five seconds.

I actually got the store numbers, wrote corporate, and tossed them under the bus. Was I being a problem customer? Nope. Hell, if I had access to the cabinet I'd look m'self and do self checkout to not bother you! At least attempt to do your job, kids. It's all I ask. If you're too dumb to do that, go away and give the job to someone who wants/needs it. Haven't set foot inside a Gamestop since. Never will again!

Since my current 3DS is very nice and works great, looks like I won't be playing the port any time soon.

iadAp.jpg

I bought it day 1.  I reserved it, and thankfully no hassles.  I really enjoy the game.  I mean REALLY enjoy it.

The thing though, is I made one foolish move my first time through:  I did every single quest.  Oh, it's actually fun if you do all of them, as it goes from this sense of "omg, another fetch" to "strangely this ties in with the world, story, and I get to fully experience all the elements of the different peoples of the world, which widen the story, and the whole game fits better in a singular context once seen for all its parts."  However, the problem with this is...it's overwhelming, and XBC has a new game+ feature, which allows fully completing the game, and would've made half the quests a bit easier to handle.

The story, characters, world...the damn world.  It's pretty bloody massive.  Some of those vista's, I mean wow.  They put a lot of thought into how the world looks from every angle.  I have to admit, I have a fear of heights, and I feel it everytime I jump from very high places.  Though there's nothing quite so fun as going to the highest point around Colony 9, and jumping into the water.

I love the combat, and the amount of customization granted.  The various methods of taking down monsters, from the standard method of toppling an enemy.  The various combat disciplines between each member, and how unique each individual is.  Even after that, the range of roles in battle that can be granted based on skill trees, affinity points used in other trees, the party balance with higher affinity, that allows for better toppling...art layout, and appropriate usage of gems.  Not to mention knowing which characters work better in tandem with others, which are best as player controlled, and how best to use them, and which are best as AI, especially given distinct setups and team layouts.  I mean it's like having an RTS built into the system before any battle.  This is especially true when battling enemies at lower levels, given the offset based on level differentials (oh yes, there's a massive nerf in stats when fighting much higher leveled enemies, and likewise a massive boost when fighting lower leveled enemies).

One thing Zahan, don't get too attached to the trio of Shulk + Reyn + Sharla.  Sure, it's basic, works, and is effective (I recommend playing a bit as Sharla to learn HOW to play her, as she's the hardest character to control based on her mechanics), but it's not efficient, fast, or dominating.  Oh no, no, no.  I recommend playing around with different leads.  Just note that the two characters who are the worst when run as AI, regardless of setup, are Shulk and Melia.  Shulk is wasteful and never properly orients himself to use his position physics, nor takes proper advantage of debuffs to deal maximum damage with his position based skills.  Melia's AI always throws her into a support role, rather than the dominatrix bringer of the doom hammer that she was meant to be played.  No seriously, Melia is able to output by far the highest damage in the game, though she works better against really massive HP enemies due to her DoTs.

Anyway, enjoy!

That is very true about Shulk, Iggy. ALWAYS control Shulk.

I tried playing as Sharla, and she can be fun to use. I like her mix of support and offense, as those tend to be my favorite class type in RPGs (I'm looking at you Etrian Odyssey Troubadour and Dancer classes!)

Quick question: can you adjust the difficulty in Xenoblade? I'd check myself but I don't have time to do so this morning.

So this has intrigued me for a while. The whole new 3DS exclusive has kept me from thinking about it, but I played my brother-in-law's new 3DS last week and liked it. I may upgrade.

Sell me on this. What game(s) do you compare it to? What's the gameplay like (I mean, I saw vids, but describe it - just button smash?)?

The whole endless side quests I like. I'm doing that now on Fantasy Life. I'm a 90% turn based RPG fan. Love the somewhat simple Rune Factory and Fantasy Life battles. Maybe could get into more.

Unfortunately, if you have any digital games on your current 3DS it'll be a long and annoying process trying to transfer it over to a new one.

You're better off sticking with your regular 3DS, Platty. I'd suggest waiting for some more New 3DS exclusives before thinking about "upgrading." And like eal said, it is a $#!&@ to trade your stuff over.

You could always wait for the price to go down on a New 3DS. That way you could keep your current one and not have to hassle with transferring everything.

• Upvote 1

It should be on the e-shop for a good long time, probably well after the N/3DS is replaced.  So you've awhile to decide.

No, sadly, the difficulty is fixed, but then, as I said, it's based on level.  There's a % reduction in stats when facing certain levels above you, starting with 5, and I think it caps at 20?  I forget.  Similarly with a % stat boost when facing enemies below your level.  Topping that off are the number of super enemies per area.  There are a number of them, usually have great drops, but their stats usually offset the bonuses you get when facing them being a higher level, making them hard battles then, quite difficult when you're the same level, and unless you're very skilled and knowledgeable, nigh impossible to kill some at lower levels.

Platty, the combat.  I'm not sure how to describe it.  A lot of people falsely claim it's a copy-cat of FF12.  I myself fell for that one when I watched initial videos, but you've at least had experience, so you know the differences.

I would say...WoW.  It's like a solo version of World of Warcraft, with a more intimate specialization system for your characters due to gems, innate stats, skill paths, and affinity coin costs and unlocks for each skill tree from other characters (have to get that affinity up too to access more), on top of certain locked-off skills from particular characters, giving only so much range.  OH, and a combo system, with a special super-attack that gets charged up.

So...let's see.  WoW meets Dungeon Siege II (or you can say Diablo III, since D3 borrowed many DS2 ideas), with a combo system, and a very intimate combo system that, if learned, will let you take dish out insane damage.  I'm talking about a difference between 10k and 150k for the same team, same equips/skills/arts/levels/customization, on the same exact enemy.  OH right, and there are a TON of intricate nuances flowing through battle.

It's hardly "button mash", as sure, you can play that way, but it will get you killed later on as the mechanics require a lot of thought, even assuming you're way overleveled for a particular area.  It's also a matter of spending 5 minutes with a super enemy, versus 30, because you're just button mashing and getting lucky due to your team's AI keeping you alive.  It's far more strategic than that.  You really have to pay attention to what you're using in conjunction with other skills, and your position relative to enemies, as the hitbox records WHERE you hit, and this plays into added effects or damage.  Or with someone like Melia, knowing what to use, when, how many ether's to charge up first before picking one (when you select it acts like a buff, then you can unleash that buff...and one of these increases ether damage, so you can stack that one for a really massive single target hit, or play it like increasing party attributes, and using one slot for damage + dots (damage over time).

I mean, once you get into the nitty gritty, and understand the physics of it, every battle is a rather intense experience you have to be always tactically aware of.  There are no items, just arts (skills/spells).  They recharge, and most characters have healing arts.  There are also gems to socket into equipment that offer healing, and you heal automatically between battles.

Honestly, there really isn't a game that plays exactly like XBC, except for XBCX, which is upcoming on the WiiU.

Oh right, forgot one last thing.  Affinity growth between characters enhances their AI in relation to how they react in parties.  Like their timing with Topple/Daze, or how readily and often they'll revive you should you die (system has a revive function independent of arts).  To help you along, there's a button that lets you "rally" or "cheerlead" your party members at times, which can also lead to healing/removing of status effects/etc, and the same button is used to revive a downed ally, and increases their affinity with you.

OH, and there's also timed button presses that help with damage, which functions similarly to a combination of Lost Odyssey's timed button presses and Super Mario RPG's.

So this has intrigued me for a while. The whole new 3DS exclusive has kept me from thinking about it, but I played my brother-in-law's new 3DS last week and liked it. I may upgrade.

Sell me on this. What game(s) do you compare it to? What's the gameplay like (I mean, I saw vids, but describe it - just button smash?)?

The whole endless side quests I like. I'm doing that now on Fantasy Life. I'm a 90% turn based RPG fan. Love the somewhat simple Rune Factory and Fantasy Life battles. Maybe could get into more.

As far as upgrading goes, Platty, if you like the system and the enhancements it has, then acquire a sizable MicroSD ( the New3DS only accepts micro) And preload your old stock of digital games onto it.  The New3DS allows you to transfer the software licenses to a card loaded with the matching software.  Check with your game store of choice to see if they'd allow you 10 minutes with the old model and the use of their wi-fi, 'cause all system transfers have to be veryfied on Ninty's servers before they can go through.

Yeah, they dropped the ball years ago on the idea of upgrading/replacing a 3DS, but you take the bad with the good, and the good in this case is VERY good. Do as you feel is wisest, but know you have timesaving options for upgrading

Yes, I'm aware through browsing other forums (please don't hurt me!) that Shulk and Melia's AIs are sorely lacking in I.  I'm not sure what favors I'd be doing myself playing as any other character over the main one, especially if he has no situational awareness under computer control.

I'm totally enjoying the game though, and I left Platty some words of wisdom if he should choose to get the N3DS for it, above.

I loved the game on Wii, but my biggest problem is I dont generally want to tie myself to a TV for long periods of time throughout the day anymore, nor do I often have that luxury anyways, what with my cashier job and walking regimen, plus two pet ferrets to give playtime to. the portable version affords me greater latitudes as to where and when I can experience this, so yay!

I'm saying that you don't have to have Shulk in your party at all times.  There are other ways of dealing with Mechon, such as Ether attacks, and later on some weapons, which start out very basic, but you'll eventually obtain very solid anti-mechon weaponry with either innate traits or slots.

If you have a card reader on your PC, that's the easiest way to transfer.  I bought a New 3ds close to the release date and really enjoy the upgrades.  I just got XC3d, but I haven't started playing it, yet.  It's a pain changing out SD cards, though, as you have to unscrew and remove the whole back panel of the system for some reason.