Sign in to follow this  
mariosmentor

SPOILERS! DQX Story Overview

To celebrate the upcoming Legend of the Ancient Dragon expansion, I thought I'd post this topic detailing everything I know about DQX's story. Beware of spoilers. So, our story takes place in the world of Astoltia, known for its 6 main areas: Ogreed, Eltona, Dwachakka, Puku Land, the Wena Islands, and Rendashia. We start off as a random Human (we'll call him/her X) living in Etene, a small village in Rendashia. One day, the village is attacked by a strange guy with a scythe who calls himself Hades Nelgel. Wanting to get rid of a prophecied "heaven-sent child," the jerk burns down the village, kills everyone (including X), and seals Rendashia in a dark barrier. However, thanks to the power of a magic flower X had at the time, (s)he is brought back to life in the body of a random corpse that just recently died. (The Ogre froze to death. The Weddie was killed in a sword fight that was supposed to be a friendly spar. The Elf.....misfired a death spell? Someone correct that for me. The Puklipo......woke up in his/her coffin in a carriage. I'm pretty sure the dialogue did some explaining, but I can't read Japanese. The Dwarf........I don't know. I can't find the intro scene for Dwarves anywhere.) After some adventuring, X meets a sage who claims that he can help, but only after X gathers 6 sacred emblems. X does so, but is constantly tortured by visions of Hades Nelgel taunting him/her from afar. When the sage fails to break through the barrier, he tries to find help from a gal named Furukka, but she's a failure in whatever she does. Desperate, the sage pulls X from his/her body, which results in him/her meeting the corpse's original owner. X learns that the only thing that can penetrate Hades Nelgel's barrier is the Ark of the Heavens, a sacred vessel that was last seen 500 years ago. X travels back in time, witnesses some political problems between the Ogres and Humans, and despite defeating a demon named Razban, is unable to foil his ultimate plan (bringing Hades Nelgel to life). X finally makes it past the barrier, and climbs to Hades Nelgel's throne room, but doesn't account for the final trick up his sleeve. However, the trap fails, and the two finally battle square off, mano a mano. X wins and manages to escape, but Hades Nelgel's barrier remains intact. Using a magic compass, X makes it through the barrier into Rendashia, where (s)he has to find a "sleeping hero" who should, in theory, be able to ultimately destroy the barrier. On the way, X meets an (amnesiac?) girl who is trying to head to the kingdom of Gran Zedora. However, the road is blocked off to anyone who doesn't have 3 sacred butterflies, compliments of Princess Anlucea. X rounds up the butterflies, and meets the princess, who is actually an imposter, with the girl from earlier being the real Anlucea. The rest is mostly my guessing, but..........Anlucea turns out to be the "sleeping hero," and helps you defeat Hades Nelgel's boss, Great Satan Madesagora. If you have stuff to add here, don't be shy to post.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sounds awesome. Time travel is always cool

Indeed. I read this topic 3 days ago.

That seems pretty accurate. If I remember right the dwarf was hit by falling rocks or something.

To celebrate the upcoming Legend of the Ancient Dragon expansion, I thought I'd post this topic detailing everything I know about DQX's story. Beware of spoilers. So, our story takes place in the world of Astoltia, known for its 6 main areas: Ogreed, Eltona, Dwachakka, Puku Land, the Wena Islands, and Rendashia. We start off as a random Human (we'll call him/her X) living in Etene, a small village in Rendashia. One day, the village is attacked by a strange guy with a scythe who calls himself Hades Nelgel. Wanting to get rid of a prophecied "heaven-sent child," the jerk burns down the village, kills everyone (including X), and seals Rendashia in a dark barrier. However, thanks to the power of a magic flower X had at the time, (s)he is brought back to life in the body of a random corpse that just recently died. (The Ogre froze to death. The Weddie was killed in a sword fight that was supposed to be a friendly spar. The Elf.....misfired a death spell? Someone correct that for me. The Puklipo......woke up in his/her coffin in a carriage. I'm pretty sure the dialogue did some explaining, but I can't read Japanese. The Dwarf........I don't know. I can't find the intro scene for Dwarves anywhere.) After some adventuring, X meets a sage who claims that he can help, but only after X gathers 6 sacred emblems. X does so, but is constantly tortured by visions of Hades Nelgel taunting him/her from afar. When the sage fails to break through the barrier, he tries to find help from a gal named Furukka, but she's a failure in whatever she does. Desperate, the sage pulls X from his/her body, which results in him/her meeting the corpse's original owner. X learns that the only thing that can penetrate Hades Nelgel's barrier is the Ark of the Heavens, a sacred vessel that was last seen 500 years ago. X travels back in time, witnesses some political problems between the Ogres and Humans, and despite defeating a demon named Razban, is unable to foil his ultimate plan (bringing Hades Nelgel to life). X finally makes it past the barrier, and climbs to Hades Nelgel's throne room, but doesn't account for the final trick up his sleeve. However, the trap fails, and the two finally battle square off, mano a mano. X wins and manages to escape, but Hades Nelgel's barrier remains intact. Using a magic compass, X makes it through the barrier into Rendashia, where (s)he has to find a "sleeping hero" who should, in theory, be able to ultimately destroy the barrier. On the way, X meets an (amnesiac?) girl who is trying to head to the kingdom of Gran Zedora. However, the road is blocked off to anyone who doesn't have 3 sacred butterflies, compliments of Princess Anlucea. X rounds up the butterflies, and meets the princess, who is actually an imposter, with the girl from earlier being the real Anlucea. The rest is mostly my guessing, but..........Anlucea turns out to be the "sleeping hero," and helps you defeat Hades Nelgel's boss, Great Satan Madesagora. If you have stuff to add here, don't be shy to post.

I know it's just a theory of mine, but I'm pretty sure that the villain in the Version 3 saga who kidnaps Anlucea might be someone who wants to avenge Nelgel and Madesagora for their defeats. 

I too yearn for the juicy story bits.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the story. I'm using google translate on my phone via it's camera to translate all the text. It's really bad of course but it gives me a vague idea of what they're saying. I decided to play dwarf because when I googled pictures of dwarves almost nothing came up. I'm gathering some screenshots as I play just in case they return to blocking US IP addresses.

• Like 1