Usually everytime i come and lurk around these forums every couple years or so. There has been some kind of good news. But its probably been a year if not a touch more and not a peep of some NA love. I mean heroes sounds cool, but it just doesnt fill the hole in my soul for some good ole DQ/DW goodness. Darn it Squenix gimmie something besides more crappy final fantasies.

I want the DQ Monsters remakes more than anything. Can't say I really care about DQ 10 but I'd buy all the 3DS games if they got released.

Sadly none of these games are getting released outside Japan.

Is DQ really popular enough to justify the expenses of releasing a MMO here? As soon as they announced DQ 10 as a subscription-based MMO I said "well guess that one isn't getting localized."

Hopefully we'll hear something regarding DQ 11 soon and I'm sure it will get an international release.

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty

Is DQ really popular enough to justify the expenses of releasing a MMO here?

Same reason as to ask can Square justify to keep FFXI online? Since it's deader than dead game it still makes them money with the very small community it has and only now are they ending the expansions after like 14 years? What better way for Square to make money than to tap into both Sony's fan market (FFXIV) and Nintendo's fan market (DQX) in the west, when both games still have so much life in them that could easily last another 15 years.

I thought FF 11 was getting shut down next May?

Also Final Fantasy is much more popular than Dragon Quest outside Japan and even FF 11 and FF 14 can't pull in huge numbers. What hope is there for DQ 10 to be successful? Plus most MMOs are switching to "free-to-play," which would make DQ 10's monthly subscription look even more unappealing I would assume.

I believe the current subscription base for all three of SE's MMOs is rather low. An article from January said that the three MMOs totaled a combined one million subscriptions.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/2/7480177/square-enix-final-fantasy-14-final-fantasy-11-dragon-quest-10-subscribers

I don't know how accurate that is given SE has hit four million registered accounts recently but then again there's no telling how many of those are actually active (or paying the monthly subscription). I downloaded a demo, created an account, played for a weekend, and deleted the game off my hard drive. I wonder how many of that four million was like that given SE stating that their three MMOs are only doing a million in total.

I always thought SE should just charge a monthly fee of $20-30 that gives you access to FF 11, FF 14, and DQ 10 all at a discounted price as a way to encourage success across all three. Seems like it would be a good deal over paying $15 a month just for one game for example.

It is really sad to be a Dragon Quest fan, especially for me since I pretty much just joined the fandom when it came to IX's release. However though it is nice to hear that Square Enix has been listening to the fans and have now decided to finally give Dragon Quest games a Western chance again. One could only expect future Dragon Wuest games and maybe even DQ VII on the 3DS and DQ X, it's not entirely impossible anymore.

We can only wait until an event like E3 right now, unless there are other big video game events in-between now and then. There's also Dragon Quest Heroes to look forward to now as well, it may not be DQX or DQVII but take what you can get I guess. Until then, give this thread a read as well if you want to have some hope, there's a lot of speculation in this thread that Dragon Quest X has been trademarked and may be on its way to localisation.

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31287

It is really sad to be a Dragon Quest fan, especially for me since I pretty much just joined the fandom when it came to IX's release. However though it is nice to hear that Square Enix has been listening to the fans and have now decided to finally give Dragon Quest games a Western chance again. One could only expect future Dragon Wuest games and maybe even DQ VII on the 3DS and DQ X, it's not entirely impossible anymore.

We can only wait until an event like E3 right now, unless there are other big video game events in-between now and then. There's also Dragon Quest Heroes to look forward to now as well, it may not be DQX or DQVII but take what you can get I guess. Until then, give this thread a read as well if you want to have some hope, there's a lot of speculation in this thread that Dragon Quest X has been trademarked and may be on its way to localisation.

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31287

I remember IX's release there was a ton of support and events that alot of people went to. But the one save file only on that game killed it. They shot themselves in their own god damn foot that time.

I thought FF 11 was getting shut down next May?

Also Final Fantasy is much more popular than Dragon Quest outside Japan and even FF 11 and FF 14 can't pull in huge numbers. What hope is there for DQ 10 to be successful? Plus most MMOs are switching to "free-to-play," which would make DQ 10's monthly subscription look even more unappealing I would assume.

I believe the current subscription base for all three of SE's MMOs is rather low. An article from January said that the three MMOs totaled a combined one million subscriptions.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/2/7480177/square-enix-final-fantasy-14-final-fantasy-11-dragon-quest-10-subscribers

I don't know how accurate that is given SE has hit four million registered accounts recently but then again there's no telling how many of those are actually active (or paying the monthly subscription). I downloaded a demo, created an account, played for a weekend, and deleted the game off my hard drive. I wonder how many of that four million was like that given SE stating that their three MMOs are only doing a million in total.

I always thought SE should just charge a monthly fee of $20-30 that gives you access to FF 11, FF 14, and DQ 10 all at a discounted price as a way to encourage success across all three. Seems like it would be a good deal over paying $15 a month just for one game for example.

It's not shutting down, it'll keep going via PC for a while. (Then on phone...I think)

Like I said, you never know with Nintendo fans, a lot were hesitant with Monster Hunter, now so many love it. They've yet to experience an MMO so it may be surprising if they enjoy it more, also MMO's are built more on the community, if Nintendo fans can build a family friendly community then people will come (Even ones that aren't into Dragon Quest but just want a new unique MMO) Heck even doing a promo where your character can dress up in Nintendo gear will get them more interested in the series.

Also f2p is a double edge sword. I love f2p (Play Guild Wars 2 daily) but they get boring quite easily since updates and huge patches come out are very few, meanwhile paid MMO games usually get a lot of content every few months allowing every few months feel new and fresh. So the question is 

A.Get as many members playing it and hope to God a couple will continue to keep playing it because big updates are scarce.

B.Don't get as many members but instead get a dedicated committed group which you'll know you'll get a regular income on a monthly basis cause the game continues to be updated.

And God knows why Square doesn't do that especially for PC members, pay for a bit extra to allow you to freely play on any of the games. There will be dedicated Square-Enix fans that would be down for that. More easy money for Square.

I think Monster Hunter is more in line with "Western" tastes than Dragon Quest so that's probably an easier sale.

Difference though is that Capcom/Nintendo stuck with MH and continued to grow its fan base in NA and EU while SE refuses to show a similar level of commitment and support. They are too quick to through in the towel.

Dragon Quest isn't going to grow when half the games are never localized. It may never grow to a behemoth like FF but it can earn a dedicated following like MH. SE just seems unwilling to take any risks.

They did say that "we should look forward to a bright future for the series", and that they "had some ideas on how to make DQ more popular in the West",  a while back.

I still think they're going to localize them eventually. It's been a long wait, and people have given up, but I don't think all hope is lost. Wait a bit longer, and we'll see.

• Upvote 1

Its very disappointing. I was lucky enough to play DQM2 3D

Nice!  I would kill to be able to play DQM2 3D.  I wish I would have bothered to learn Japanese all those years ago.  I would totally import the 3DS games (as well as a Japanese 3DS) if I could understand the language.

Sometime in 2006 I did actually import DQ 4 PS1 and DQ 5 PS2 when I modded my PS2.  I never got very far in either way but at the same time they still were awesome to own.  I've been thinking about buying another import version of DQ 5 (I got rid of DQ 4 PS1 and DQ 5 PS2 about five years ago since I never played them much) and going through the PS2 version with the English patch.

Its very disappointing. I was lucky enough to play DQM2 3D

Nice!  I would kill to be able to play DQM2 3D.  I wish I would have bothered to learn Japanese all those years ago.  I would totally import the 3DS games (as well as a Japanese 3DS) if I could understand the language.

I don't know any Japanese and managed to get to the sky world.

That's still awesome lol. 

Do you have a Japanese 3DS?  Or is there away to bypass 3DS region locking and I just haven't kept up with it?

You could buy a Japanese 3DS or if you have a 3DS with a firmware version up to or lower then 9.5.0-22 you have a few choices depending on what firmware version you have.

We have a massive audience playing DQ on mobile and you all are sad?

Words cannot describe how I feel.

• Upvote 1

The mobile games are awesome (and I have DQ 1-5+8 on my iPhone/iPad combo) but that doesn't make up for not getting any of the four 3DS games nor Dragon Quest 10.

In a perfect world we would be getting all the mobile and 3DS games (and DQ 10).

• Upvote 1

Indeed, I fear for the future of our beloved series.  DQ10 is the one MMORPG I'd consider playing, of all that exist today, and the remake of DQ7 for 3Ds would be just the shot in the arm the series needs to get traction back in the states.  Here's hoping DQ Heroes turns out good anyways. It sure shows promise to me.

• Upvote 2

We're getting a shot in the former of DQH.

So...

Getting DQ Heroes doesn't really offset DQ 10 and the four 3DS games (DQ 7, Monsters 1 and 2 3D, and the third Rocket Slime game) especially since Heroes really isn't proof of anything. Getting DQ 8 didn't mean we got DQ 5 PS2 and the Yangus game for example (in other words we got one out of three PS2 games).

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty

Redacted.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1