Sign in to follow this  
esco

ACTUAL PICS & PROOF OF MYSTERIOUS HAT IN ORIGINAL NES DW II

Like the title says; I have seen tons of threads and posts about this item. But no actual pics as proof. I first played this game as a child when it came out. And then every few years again every so often. But I had never EVER seen the mysterious hat, nor had I EVER seen pics with proof of it's actual NES in game existence. So until now I thought it ONLY existed in the remakes, but not the original nes one.

Well today I was proved wrong; it dropped from Pazuzu (YES, I know what the original poster says that was out for DW2: that pazuzu and magic vampirus drop it; but again NEVER saw it drop ever until today and that same poster said it was an item, NOT a helmet). 

And guess what else? Since I understand how people might think I was
bs'ing I took 3 pics as proof; one when it dropped, one while equipped (yes you equip it), and one from the status screen. This happened in an emulator (which means nothing; emulators do NOT alter the game's original code, and YES there is only one nes version of DW2), and no I didn't do anything special; I simply killed pazuzu. And yes, I have fought literally HUNDREDS of magic vampiruses and NEVER gotten one (and yes I kill them last). I honestly NEVER expected this.

Here are the pics.

proof%20of%20hat%20DW2_zpsxd0sllnv.png
proof%20of%20hat3%20DW2_zps5s4s02j8.png
proof%20of%20hat2%20DW2_zpsenyryhif.png

Good god.... I can die a happy man now. lol

P.S. I also put this post up on Gamefaqs.com. I am so in shock right now.

Edited by esco

Cool.  I know it drops.  I've found it before in one of my many replays.  So, awesome.  By original poster, do you mean the DW2 poster that came with the game?

Thanks. And yeah, that poster.

The funny thing is I have scoured the net many times looking for a pic as proof and never seen one. So I never truly believed it dropped in the nes version. Seeing is believing as they say. :D

Edited by esco

Can't say I've ever heard of this item, but congratulations on the find. It's always satisfying to get your hands on a rare drop item, like the elusive Sword of Kings in Earthbound for example.

What does the hat do exactly?

The hat adds +4 to def, and lowers the MP cost of spells by 2MP each (I believe; I have to double check this when I get home); it doesn't sound like much but it is very useful for the princess in particular.

On a related note: here is a thread someone created with a lot of details on the internal mechanics of DWII; VERY informative and seems to have info I have yet to see ANYWHERE else.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/587248-dragon-warrior-ii/67224292

NICE!! Yeah I've also heard several rumors over the years. Can't get it normally without hacking, or multiple versions of the game where it exists/doesn't exist/different monsters drop it, and so on. Amazing how after so long it's still such a, ahem, mystery. :)

Anyway great find! I've gotten it as a drop before in DW3 NES but never in 2. I wonder, if it's existence isn't so ambiguous in DQ2 JP?

I'm trying to remember back 25 years with this game. I don't remember ever getting it, although I may have at some point.

I remember the Sword of Destruction.

I don't think I'll ever forget the Rhone/Cave to Rhone adventures.

Flames.

Four Green Dragons - Green Dragons attack before you're ready. Green Dragons breathe scortching flames.

Blizzards - Defeat!

Giants - A Heroic Attack!

Gold Batboons - Sacrifice! Thou art dead.

Bazuzu - Sacrifice!

Lol yeah Rhone can be nasty. Though there is a counter for each of the pricks:

Flames: defeat
4 green dragons: run.... and when that fails pray to god.

No....... seriously, if your characters HP are around 100, explodet, and attacks from both princes should do it in 2 turns. But damn they are nasty.

Blizzards: explodet them; defeat works too

Giants: explodet and attack

Gold batboons: stopspell then it's a slaughter. They are pretty weak except for sacrifice

Bazuzu: put him to sleep when he is below half life, then finish him.

Love how hard this game is BTW. Wish the rest of the games that come after weren't just so easy. :(