Suggestion to stop the block

I was looking at the suggestion box on y the Hiroba and someone suggested opening the servers to areas outside of Japan. http://hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/forum/prethread/297564/?type=0Yellow are the number of people for the suggestion. Green is neutral. Blue is opposed. Not surprisingly there does not seem to be much support for the idea.

To a point they have the right idea, nothing is worst than being having spam accounts advertising if I want more money to have more in-game money. And Square seem really lazy with it as well since they seem to do nothing about them in FFXIV.

I just don't understand why they would be opposed to this.

Are "gajin" that unwelcome still? They sure don't mind tourism.

Meh. As Gaijin Goomba and others have pointed out Japan is usually like this. They are very much isolated from other countries and the people that live there tend to support that. So they really dont try to cooperate with other countries unless they can really benefit from it.

In short I am not surprised in the slightest.

How do I vote?

Make sure you are logged into your account on Hiroba, then click the yellow button in Mimas' link that says "ãã†æ€ã†" to vote in favor of the suggestion.

You assume I'm in favour of it?

Nah, I'm pulling your leg. Of course I'm in favour of it.

Japan is usually like this. They are very much isolated from other countries and the people that live there tend to support that. So they really dont try to cooperate with other countries unless they can really benefit from it.

This is the equivalent of people being aggressive towards brazilians and getting pissed off when they join the servers in online games, except now it's japan being aggressive towards the rest of the world.

Edited by wiregu

Japan is usually like this. They are very much isolated from other countries and the people that live there tend to support that. So they really dont try to cooperate with other countries unless they can really benefit from it.

This is the equivalent of people being aggressive towards brazilians and getting pissed off when they join the servers in online games, except now it's japan being aggressive towards the rest of the world.

Meh. Aggressive as it may be...this still isnt unusual for them.

Let me just say this. Gaijin Goombah used to teach in Japan and was trying to teach English as well as talk to the young adults about possible future in other countries. Well...he was taken to the side an other teacher and was told this:

"You are boring them. These kids have no interest in English language or customs of other countries. They arent interested in other countries and we arent giving them any motivation to leave their borders."

GG: Well what am I doing here then?!

"You are here to teach."

GG: -_-

He threw his books on the floor and left in a bitter mood. Not that I blame the guy.

Note: Most of that is from memory so some details may be wrong, but you get the gist of it.

The point is while I am kinda annoyed when this happens I'm not shocked anymore. Japan has been like this for awhile and I dont expect alot of courtesy from them. Heck the fact we get as much as we do from Japan is pretty surprising honestly.

Ehh. Must be drugs.

I'm not surprised, but I can also see where they're coming from.  Let's face it.  There are a LOT of problems that can occcur in this game due to miscommunication.  A whole lot.  Now if there was something in the sugestion about being able to play from other counrties, but only on different servers than the ones people in Japan are using, I don't think people would be against it so much.  Problem is the whole mindset between the way people play games in Japan and other countries just differs too much.  As an examplre, back when I used to play PSO, the NA servers and the JP servers were like two different worlds.  On the JP servers, it was considered rude to just join a game and start playing or ask for someone to send you a portal so you could join the action (even though that was one of the pre-arranged sentences that was included in the game.)  You had to first greet the others and ask if it was okay to join.  On the NA servers, whenever a rare item dropped, it was first come first servce.  It didn't matter who killed what monster or who was closest to the item.  You just grabbed it if you could and it was yours.  On the JP servers, every single item that had even a slight amount of value was picked up by anyone only to be latter dumped in a big pile back at the home base where people would then say what items they wanted and if more that one person wanted it, they would play paper, rock, scissors to decide who gets it.  There's just a set way of doing things that everyone is expected to follow, and in DQX there are tons of unwritten rules like that.  To be honest, if the servers are going to be shared, I'd be agaist it too.  There's just too much chaos I can see resulting from it.

Edited by Sai

I'm not surprised, but I can also see where they're coming from.  Let's face it.  There are a LOT of problems that can occcur in this game due to miscommunication.  A whole lot.  Now if there was something in the sugestion about being able to play from other counrties, but only on different servers than the ones people in Japan are using, I don't think people would be against it so much.  Problem is the whole mindset between the way people play games in Japan and other countries just differs too much.  As an examplre, back when I used to play PSO, the NA servers and the JP servers were like two different worlds.  On the JP servers, it was considered rude to just join a game and start playing or ask for someone to send you a portal so you could join the action (even though that was one of the pre-arranged sentences that was included in the game.)  You had to first greet the others and ask if it was okay to join.  On the NA servers, whenever a rare item dropped, it was first come first servce.  It didn't matter who killed what monster or who was closest to the item.  You just grabbed it if you could and it was yours.  On the JP servers, every single item that had even a slight amount of value was picked up by anyone only to be latter dumped in a big pile back at the home base where people would then say what items they wanted and if more that one person wanted it, they would play paper, rock, scissors to decide who gets it.  There's just a set way of doing things that everyone is expected to follow, and in DQX there are tons of unwritten rules like that.  To be honest, if the servers are going to be shared, I'd be agaist it too.  There's just too much chaos I can see resulting from it.

FFXI did fine. 

if the servers are going to be shared, I'd be agaist it too.  There's just too much chaos I can see resulting from it.

FFXI did fine. 

FFXI had an amazing chat translation system though

if the servers are going to be shared, I'd be agaist it too.  There's just too much chaos I can see resulting from it.

FFXI did fine. 

FFXI had an amazing chat translation system though

Eh, nothing to stop them from creating the same. 

FFXI did fine. 

I don't know much about FFXI but if it's anything like FFXIV, it's a pretty single-player oriented game.  You pretty much only really interact with anyone when doing dungeon runs.

DQX is a lot more social.  You're always needing to interact (maybe not not necessarily "needing" to but there are plenty of opportunities for it and it's to your advantage) with the people around you for some reason or the other.  Granted that's becoming less and less the case as this game ages for numerous reason. (Let's just say for the sake of people who start the game from 1.0 if it is released overseas, that they don't incorporate all the changes they've made over time right off the bat.  The experience just won't be the same.) Game's not nearly as fun as it used to be becuase of that, but that's a whole nother issue.

Edited by Sai

FFXI did fine. 

I don't know much about FFXI but if it's anything like FFXIV, it's a pretty single-player oriented game.  You pretty much only really interact with anyone when doing dungeon runs.

DQX is a lot more social.  You're always needing to interact (maybe not not necessarily "needing" to but there are plenty of opportunities for it and it's to your advantage) with the people around you for some reason or the other.  Granted that's becoming less and less the case as this game ages for numerous reason. (Let's just say for the sake of people who start the game from 1.0 if it is released overseas, that they don't incorporate all the changes they've made over time right off the bat.  The experience just won't be the same.) Game's not nearly as fun as it used to be becuase of that, but that's a whole nother issue.

"Anything like FFXIV", heh...well im a pretty laid back guy but if you said that around anyone who played both XI and XIV they would laugh themselves into a coma. 

Sai, I understand what you are saying.

As you can tell from my avatar, I also played PSO.  In fact I spent a lot of time playing with the Japanese players on that game and they do indeed play the game very different from the English speakers.  Japan played a team-oriented game while it was largely an individual oriented game for the English speakers.  But the one thing that truly goes in your favor isn't so much the items, but the rampant cheating and hacking that plagued that game.  Sometimes it was a downright nightmare to play online because of all the griefing and data destroying exploits to attack the community.  I can't explain it, but there is something about PSO that really brings out the absolute worst in people.  And it was almost 100% English speakers causing the problem.  To this day, the PSO private server is full of corruption, dishonesty, and back-stabbing.  I was a game moderator on the private server for like 7 years and I can tell you that it's a true cess pool even today.  The server itself is actually a scam to draw money out of players through the donation system rather than aiming to be a place for fans of the game.  What happened on PSO, and continues to happen surrounding that game, is one of the darkest and most humiliating examples of the non-Japanese speaking communities in online gaming.  Anyone that has gone through that can see why Japanese would want to be separated.

PSO is a legitimate example, but it's also the most extreme of examples too.

That player-induced data corruptions and item loss that plagued PSO are not possible on Dragon Quest X, and because enemy drops appear for each player, gone is the competition for item drops as well.

Now, I of course have the admittedly biased perspective of being an active DQX import player, and I've constantly had to battle that accursed IP block and it's caused plenty of anguish having to deal with flakey VPNs.  I only interact with a handful of Japanese players, but the ones I have had encounters with are typically just as curious about me as I am of them.  Once they get used to me, a lot of them have become a lot more comfortable with my presence and begin to actively interact with me.  I believe that would be the case with a lot of the Japanese player-base if they weren't so paranoid about us.

Right now, with the IP block in place the only ones here are the ones that really want to be here, and that filtration does result in a higher quality import community.  Your typical troll and griefer is going to look for easier pray than Dragon Quest X.  Everyone on the Den Team gets along pretty well.  We have our little squabbles once in a while but nothing major and to my knowledge nobody is disrespectful to the Japanese playerbase.  I'd like to believe that if the IP block gets released, you'll get more quality people like us coming.

While I admit that there are some advantages to this block, I also don't feel that its right to punish everyone because of how terrible the PSO community became.  (There are of course a lot of good people in the PSO community as well, and those good people in it are just as disappointed in what happened as we are.)

• Upvote 1

To make it more clear on FFXI, well during its golden days, it was completely different of how FFXIV is.  You pretty much HAVE to group with others to get anywhere in the game, and that means having to group with Japanese players as well.  Most Japanese players didnt mind grouping with non-japanese players, however their exp grinding styles, and party tactics were vastly different from US/EU ones.  But of course "JP ONLY" parties do occur often no matter what server you were on, and only times I ever saw "English only" parties was from people who were being spiteful or bitter towards Japanese player "JP Only" parties.  

DQX is slower paced than FFXI, less tactics needed for things too from all the videos I seen.  I would not mind sharing a server, Long as the Auto-Translate is built as good or better than what FFXI had, should be absolutely fine.  

It's interesting that they even put it up really. Are Square finally interested in having more than Japan to play this MMO? If anything from the looks of it, if they brought the game over here they'd do something similar to that of Monster Hunter. The rest of the world play with one another while Japan keep to themselves.

A player made it.