Sign in to follow this  
ignasia

YS 8!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpVygfNQn8

I must be losing my innate ability to detect new games of my favourite series, cause I missed this opening trailer.

Now I have yet another reason for a PS4.  YES!

Gotta love that red hair.

And I'm pretty sure that's the narrator for a lot of the Dragon Quest Monsters trailers in recent years, cause he sounds awfully familiar.

I hope this game turns out better than Ys 7. Wasnt a fan of that one.

Hopefully this one goes back to the games roots.

Yep, Adol the Red!  I think that's one of his nicknames...YES, yes it is!

Hmm, I haven't spent enough time listening to the Japanese DQM announcements and commercials, so I wouldn't know, but that doesn't surprise me there would be spokesmen that are used over and over again.  Like the guy who died who was like THE biggest and most awesome movie announcer, Don LaFontaine.  Or Optimus Prime's voice...

I hope this game turns out better than Ys 7. Wasnt a fan of that one.

Hopefully this one goes back to the games roots.

You should check out Celcetta, the remake of YS4 on the Vita.  They're going to use the system of 7, but expand it a bit, and return some of the older mechanics.  Just don't expect jumping and the mechanics involved with that, as with Ys 3's remake and 6, and that other prequel to 1+2, or the bump mechanics system.

I've heard a lot of positive reviews that 4's remake flawlessly remasters 7's system, as 3's remake remastered 6's, to the gem that it is.

I really don't think we'll ever see a new bump system, unless it's a new redux of 1+2.

Time to go back to Felghana...

I should really try out the Ys series.  Yuzo Koshiro did the music for the earlier games in the series I believe, so that's an instant point of interest in my book.

Start with the Steam releases of Ys. 1+2, 3, and Origin are on there.

Or they're also on PSN if you have a Vita. And so is 7 and the remake of 4.

I actually saw a few PSP Ys games at a video game store last week.  Maybe I'll go back and see if they have them still.  If I remember right, one of them was Ys 1+2.

Ys 1+2 is old-school.

Ys 3 is an AWESOME ARPG.

Ys 7 is a party-based ARPG. 's pretty good.

If you can get them cheaply...my picks for the best version of each:

Origin (only on Steam, well worth the investment from what I've heard, but I haven't had a computer that can run Steam since it's been available)

1+2 (PSP or Steam, Steam is cheaper, PSP has more content and slightly tighter controls)

3 (PSP...though Steam is a good purchase, as the PSP can be overpriced, but it does come with some cool extras that I wish were added to the Steam version)

4 (Vita)

5 (emulate!  SFC version is probably easier to handle...sadly the PS2 remake was not brought over, but it's not exactly known for being a good remake)

6 (PS2...PSP has extras, but)

7 (PSP...only system anyhow, but I actually liked it.  It's different, very different.)

1+2 use what is known as the "bump" system.  This was carried through to 4, at least one version anyway.  5 brought the magic charge system, which was reused in remakes of 2, then in 6, 3's remake, 7, and I believe in Origins, and 4's remake).  6 and 3 use a top-down chibi system, which is VERY tactical, and quite good.  6 is decent, but 3 is just the magnum opus of this combat format, and I've heard Origins is just as good as 3 (some say it's better).  3 original though was a strange sidescroller, and the only one of its kind.  All versions of 3 but the SFC are easy, while the SFC/SNES is borked due a nasty bug where merely being in proximity of an enemy means they're always attacking, so your health depletes from max to 0 from a basic monster in less than 5 seconds, while you're desperately trying to move (enter a code before the title screen and it unlocks debug mode, almost the only way to experience it).  Luckily 3's remakes, all of them, have no such bugs.  They're pretty clean.  4 is also odd, as it's the first game where Falcom did not make it, so they gave the project officially to one company, and promised it to another company, and as a result, there were two versions.  4's remake, Celcetta, is based on the one they officially sanctified (the original of which is considered the worst game in the series, while its unofficial other release is considered good, but the remake is supposed to be really, really, really good).

One thing I like about Ys, is that like DQ and most of Atlus' games, they've used the same sound team for a long time, and the games continue the sounds and feel of the game, maintaining at least that consistency.  Much like with the continuation of Adol the Red.

I really do love Ys :).

Celceta was pretty good. It uses the Ys 7 party system so depending on your feelings about that system will determine how Celceta goes for you

Adol's armor keeps getting lighter and lighter, too :D

5 is good. The fan translation is top notch.

Alright, thanks for all the info. Think I'll see if I can get my hands on those games if they're still at the game store. I'm the kind of guy who likes to start at the beginning of a series of possible, so here's hoping for Ys 1+2!

Ys 4 comes right after 1+2, and 3 comes after 4. 5, 6, and 7 all go afterward.

Adol the Red.

Wow, did not see that coming. If it comes stateside, I have to get it. It looks so good! I had a reason to get a PS4 for Dragon Quest Heroes and the potential Dragon Quest XI.