Sign in to follow this  
Liamland

DQVI - Dream Tagging idea

So I was thinking about a solution to unlocking the DQVI content via tagging, but it involves a slight AR change, and I'm not sure it's entirely possible.  Can AR unlock a given Zoom point?  For example, can we use AR to take a brand new save file (at the start of the game) and then activate the Zoom point for Suite Dreams (we would also need to activate the Zoom spell, unless we could just use a Chimera wing)?  If we can do that for 13 save files, then I have 7 save files that we can upload to The Den for a full 20.

The reason I would want to do it this way is to have access to be able to change the characters and their dreams--to make them unique.  The current AR code for DQVI to unlock all 20 Dream Suites fills the game with the same character and with the same dream.

Unfortunately there are no DQVI, DQV, or DQIV Save Editors, so it would be a very manual tagging process.  But if we were to get this to work for one game, then maybe we could do the same for the rest.

• Upvote 2

Walk through wall code, get some Chimeara Wings, get to Suite Dreams, and you've your Zoom point.  Make sure no other code is present, save immediately after, and then reload without codes, and trigger the sequences to unlock the event.  It is NOT relevant to the rest of the story, so it shouldn't do any harm, or trigger story events ahead of time.

Actually, there are save editors for DQ 4, 5 and 6 for the DS.  They are just less popular for those games because there is typically less desire to mess with them as there is in games like DQ9 and Joker 2. 

You can download all three save editors here.

The bad news is, this probably won't help you much with DQ6 Dream Tagging since they went the "Joker 2" route and tied tags to DS Mac addresses (which is different from how DQ9 handled tags).  As such, you will need a different DS system for each tag you want.  Although the save editor seems to allow for modifying the MAC address associated with each tag, I have tried on several occasions to do that and it never lets me save different MACs for the new tags beyond the first 4 or 5 or so.  There may be a bug with the save editor with respect to this, or it may be due to something else.

That being said, with the save editor, you can hack anybody you want in to your party, so you may be able to achieve your desired outcome without all the tags.

Thanks KZ, I'll check that out and give it a shot.  As long as I can edit in tags, they can be unique.

This could be interesting, thanks for the links.

I think this conversation is going in another thread (http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29560&page=3), but it makes the most sense to summarize it here.

I'm working on a Suite Dreams tagging work-around for DQVI.  I'm having some trouble getting the cart to recognize additions made by the DQVI Save Editor.  The problem is that the cart is just ignoring the changes.  I've tried the suggestion that The Mystical One made in the URL above, where I commit to changes twice, but it still isn't working for me.

There is another idea that RPG Wizard (from GameFAQs) came up with, during one of our DQIX Tag Mode Tuesday Meet-ups, where he said that if we could use the save editor to enable the zoom point for Suite Dreams, then we could create new save files, enable zoom and zoom straight to Suite Dreams from the beginning (rather than play through 45% of the game content).  The problem was that initially I could not find where to add zoom points in the save editor, but this morning I found it under the All tab, listed as "Destinations."  The only problem now is that all of the destinations are listed in the original Japanese names (Example: Lifecod, not Weaver's Peak).  Does anyone know the name of the Japanese version of Suite Dreams?  If I have time later, I'll look this up in gameFAQs, and try this idea out later tonight.

The destination you are looking for is "Passerby's Inn".  It is the 12th location down in the list in the save editor.

Good luck!

Thanks KZ!

Last night I tried one more time to artificially enter in Dream data into DQVI.  The idea was to copy a real DS ID rather than try to make one up and fool the system.  However, when I looked up DDDDrova's save file and grabbed the DS ID, this still did not allow the game to recognize the added data.  The current DQVI Save Editor is not going to work for adding Dream data into a DQVI DS cart.

The only way to add data means that I will need 20 save files, to share the data directly through the game, on a second cart/device.  Right now I have 4 save files, not inlcuding my own: DDDDrova's, RPG Wizard's, Erdricks (all from the DQIX Tag Mode Tuesday meet-up) and ignasia7's.

The next step as I mentioned above will be an attempt to add in Zoom and the Zoom-point for Suite Dreams/Passerby's Inn into a save file and load it into a second cart.  What I'm hoping is that the DS ID isn't required for unique tagging, because that would mean I would need 20 unique devices (which I believe is how someone at the DQIX meet-up mentioned that is how Joker 2 tagging worked.)

Edited by Liamland

Liam, I think I committed, saved, closed, reopened, saved again to get changes to stick.  It was like the first save saved the backup save data, and then the second, saved it to the functional data.

I understand, I just haven't gotten it to work.  I've committed, saved and reopened and resaved a few times in my attempts and none of the extra dream data showed up in-game.

I also don't see a way to view historical dream data in game.  It seems to just count the number of dreams.  I looked for something in the save editor to just raise the dream count, but didn't see anything.  I'll keep trying with this when I have time.