My actual opinions:

1-  I like playing DQ for the individual town stories rather than the overarching plots.  I enjoy how episodic the franchise is.  In this regard, I found DQV and DQVIII were the weakest.  Outside of the main character and his family, DQV also has the worst characters in the franchise.

2- Sugiyama is about 60-70% of the reason I play these games.  Without him, I probably wouldn't like the series nearly as much.  That said, Horii and Toriyama both are fantastic in the roles they play

3- Gameplay-wise, DQVIII was a huge step down from DQVII.  DQVII was basically an accumalation of everything that made DQ great by that point.  Outside of its pretty graphics and wonder maps, DQVIII was the simplest game since the NES-era.

4 - Tension system ruined these games.  After it was introduced, the games became broken

5 - DQIX has a great story.  Sure it could have been told better, but the main plot was pretty balls out IMHO.  Pretty cool villain too.

6- I want DQXI on a handheld.  Or at the very least, the Wii U so that I can play it like a handheld.  I loved that DQIX was a handheld game.  I love handhelds.  I love how non-committal I can be with a handheld game.  With consoles, I feel bound to the room and have to really CHOOSE to play a game.  Saying I get about an hour at home to play games, plus about an hour during work, handhelds are ideal for my life style.  It's the same reason I play Smash 4 more on 3DS than I do on Wii U

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's your (now un-)secret opinion on something in the DQ universe that you know that the vast majority of other fans just hate or simply disagree with? Here's my 2:   1. First time names = canon.

Yes, she developed very much. She's a well-rounded character.

Yeah! Dragon Quest is SRS BZNS       ...I like the puns and alliteration and quirky charm.  Makes an enjoyable game even more enjoyable.

I've always been a handheld gamer. Always. No matter how many consoles I had, I could never commit any amount of time to it. When I was a kid my dad played with the PlayStation 1 and 2 all day, so it was in my parent's bedroom. I had handhelds and I went to a lot of different places in a day (daycare, school, daycare again, home) so I got comfortable playing on the go.

My DS and GBA games are all very well worn and when I can handle staring at my 3DS, they get a lot of play too. I can play my Vita for hours and hours. For some reason, I can't make that level of commitment with a console. The last time I ever really did that was with The Last Story, and I ended up dropping it after getting caught in an aggravating boss fight with an octopus.

I love my tablet.

I married it. Her name is Gabrielle. 

When's the baby due? I'll knit him or her a protective case to keep warm.

When's the baby due? I'll knit him or her a protective case to keep warm.

Six weeks. We're naming him "John".

A bit flat though, huh? I like a little more jiggle where it counts in my women.
THAT'S ENOUGH OUTTA YOU! Ooga booga booga!

And six weeks?! I better get started on that knitting...

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

Sorry. I'm just acting like a boob today.

You'd breast stop while you're ahead.

Uh I guess the only unpopular opinion I have is that I think Torneko is a creep. And you can thank hyadain's video for that viewpoint.

I've got one.

Dragon Quest has changed little from 1 to 9. A few additions such as the Alchemy Pot, Classes, and stuff like that, but at the heart of it?

It's a massive grindfest that has little-to-no story, depending on the game. 

It -needs- more change. If DQX was marketed for the PC from the get-go? We'd have it, and it'd be good for the series. DQH? It -looks- $#!&ing amazing and I just might get a PS4 for it.

This is what DQXI needs.

1. A story. From the beginning. Hell, DQIX started out pretty good, then went extremely flat. If it could have DQIX's beginning, DQ8's story-sense, and DQ5's options? LOVE.

2. Marketing. We didn't get much along the lines of marketing because SE doesn't think America really likes DQ. It's thanks to us BOMBARDING THEM WITH ATOMIC BOMBS that they even think about it right now. DQXI and DQH? Needs commercials that air during WWE RAW and $#!& like Zelda Ocarina of Time back in the day.

3. More gameplay. Don't make it such a grindfest. Make it cohesive. Dare I say... make it more like Final Fantasy in terms of leveling, unless there's classes.

I keep hearing about grinding but I've never had to do such in 3, 8, and 9 beyond collecting stuff in post game to make items. The story is what you get out of exploring around, it doesn't need cutscenes or a bunch of longstrings of text throughout the game.

We wouldn't have gotten DQX if it came out on the PC first, it'd still be in Japan with SE still saying maybe maybe not.

...It's mostly gameplay, only other thing they could do is make it an ARPG and pending on what the unknown game is, they might be trying to nudge people into wanting the change or figuring out how to do it perfectly. Why should that matter, just use your magic people to keep your party buffed if you're the type to skip enough fights that you'd be at a disadvantage later.

The talk of grind is an occasional occurrence with posts I find elsewhere, it's like people don't know you can buff characters with spells and when something is weak against something, they keep on using it while never swapping out the weapons they started with.

P.S.

KAaGZHg.gif

Congratulations, you're MVP....wanting anything to do with Final Fantasy these days outside of having the same budget...probably the most unpopular opinion to have outside of more like Pokemon.

One thing I've noticed with DQ Heroes, Toriyamas bigger eyed art style looks weird on 3D models.

I like the cutscene FMVs in DQ7

All naming associated with the GBC era games is terrible and should go away.  I get the space limitations, but aside from that, no!

... Ok, some of it was kind of clever, like calling the Silver Batboon an AgDevil.  I never expected I would need a period table of the elements to interpret a monster name.

I'm actually not sure if this is unpopular or not, but it feels like Sugiyama has gotten very lazy for the recent games.

The Slime Morimori games are bloody fantastic.

I know the wife thing has already been beaten to death (hmmm, rereading that sentence raises some weird flags)... but Bianca is the worst option of the three.

Portrait mode is awesome, especially for DQ8 on mobile.

That'll do for now.

I know the wife thing has already been beaten to death (hmmm, rereading that sentence raises some weird flags)... but Bianca is the worst option of the three.

Time to revisit your signature choices? :)

I'm actually not sure if this is unpopular or not, but it feels like Sugiyama has gotten very lazy for the recent games.

Oh, I agree 100% with this. X's soundtrack is the weakest in the series in my opinion aside from the battle and boss themes. The symphonic version doesn't improve much (excluding the battle themes).

1.  No matter how hard I try, Mortamor always makes me think of Mickey Mouse.  Walt Disney had a mouse named Mortamor (sp?) that was the basis for Mickey.

2.  You guys can say whatever you want, but if someone calls out Yangus again, dem's fightin' words!  Yangus is one of the best characters in any game, ever.

Edited by Griever

Time to revisit your signature choices? :)

Ha ha.  Touché.  Hers was one of the first DQ Heroes art to get released, but now I have a lot of much better options for that.  I'll have to get on that.

I've seen a few people say similar. But I dunno if it's laziness as much as it is age and the fact he's been doing the job since 1958. I think the dude's running out of ideas lol

I've seen a few people say similar. But I dunno if it's laziness as much as it is age and the fact he's been doing the job since 1958. I think the dude's running out of ideas lol

I look at DQ7 as being his magnum opus.  The final original soundtrack that was just fantastic.  DQ8 has very little original work, as most of it is reused from previous games, and the rest feels like it's filler, almost like he's given all he's got with the previous title, and is now displaying his favourite works and whatever he has left went into filling in the gaps.  DQ9 feels like he hasn't anything left in him, so he's LOST IN SPACE!, and it kind of shows.  Not saying all of the original DQ9 themes are bad, as some are solid, such as the Stornway Inn (yes, I happen to like that theme, bring it on!), but the majority seems like he's lost his ear for music, or his head is just somewhere else.

I really think he gave his last bits to DQ8, and now we're witnessing a tired old man who needs to take a break.  A vacation if you will, before he perhaps has the energy and GUSTO to give another game the attention it deserves.

This sort of thing happened with Yasunori Mitsuda after Xenogears.  He had pretty much given all he had.  Was less involved with Xenosaga 1, and even less so with XS2, and took a break for a year or so.  Chrono Trigger, Cross, and Gears had really just taken all he had at that time.  When he came back he was like a child again, trying to figure out his mojo and direction, and eventually he found it, as he wrote some of his best OST's ever since.

So, I think he either needs to retire (he has an already trained successor), or take an extended break for a time, get his mojo back, and let his successor take over in the interim.

Well, I don't know that Koichi's lack of quality music lately is an unpopular opinion.  I do want to remind everyone that he's really old.  To be 83 and still composing is pretty nuts.  I remember reading on some old bio site that I believe was hosted by SquareEnix that he now composes with an assistant writer, which may suggest that not all of the DQ music is currently being written by him, but with assistance by his likely successor.*

The idea of laziness comes from reusing old scores from previous games instead of writing new ones (like the DQIV ship theme reused in DQIX, or the Phoenix Ramia theme from DQIII reused in DQVIII.)  Furthermore, some of the newer scores have been less than impressive.  The Alltrades Abbey theme from DQIX is simply the main Dragon Quest theme played at double time.  The Stornway Inn theme is reminiscent of Disney's It's a Small World Afterall.  And Stella's theme...that one doesn't really fit anywhere in a Dragon Quest game.  I don't think we've seen a strong, action-driving battle theme since DQVI.  DQVIII's walking theme at times sounds like the theme from Gone With the Wind.  With the exception of some of the more Baroque sounding Bach-inspired pieces written for DQVIII, it's safe to say Sugyiama is in a decline at this point.

But there are still some occasional stand-out tracks, like DQIX's Angelic Land...so who knows?

I wonder what players of DQX think of the soundtrack.

*I believe I read this on a bio from SquareEnixMusic.com somewhere around 2011 (according to something I posted on the GameFAQs forum around that time).  The SquareEnixMusic site currently redirects to vgmonline.net.  What was once a two paragraph blurb appears to have been rewritten into a TLDR full biographical article.  I skimmed through the article and no longer see reference to a writing partner, so the reference to a partner is from a memory of a page that no longer exists.  If someone finds another reference to Sugiyama's writing partner, I would appreciate seeing it.  Thanks.

Edited by Liamland