I don't like the fact that you can't fight Saro again after you start the post game stuff in Dragon Quest IV. It's nice that he gets rose back and all, but he murdered the hero's entire town basically unprovoked so I don't feel all that sorry for him.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's your (now un-)secret opinion on something in the DQ universe that you know that the vast majority of other fans just hate or simply disagree with? Here's my 2:   1. First time names = canon.

Yes, she developed very much. She's a well-rounded character.

Yeah! Dragon Quest is SRS BZNS       ...I like the puns and alliteration and quirky charm.  Makes an enjoyable game even more enjoyable.

Lilly, She Slime is the official name in Japan, of the Red Slime.  It is actually supposed to be the female version of a slime.  I'm not sure how that's sexist though.

In the Dragon Quest 8 monster list it's written that 'it's rumored that it's a female species of slime' and 10 also mentions that 'there's a theory that it's female, but this is unproven', but those are the only games with that description and both say it's not definite. The Monster games at least would seem to contradict this since there are male versions of it. To be honest, I don't think it's a coincidence that it was first brought up in 8 considering that's the first game that made the change to she-slime in the English translation. It's possible they knew what the English translation was going to use so they added something for it.

The original name is Slimebesu and the meaning of the besu part is not officially known. The translation seems to have interpreted it as a corruption of mesu(female) but that isn't necessarily commonly accepted among Japanese players. Though if the translators actually picked Toriyama or Horii's brain for that translation it might be official. No idea if they did though. Whether it is or not, the original name is at least not blatantly female like the English name is.

Both 6 and 9 offer different explanations. The 6 official guidebook says the orange color is a result of its different omnivorous diet while 9 says the color is the result of a mutation.

Edited by The n00b Avenger
  • Upvote 1

I prefer mortamor cuz it sounds like a real name and Mort is french for death. I'm weird though. And if you consider the rest of his name french it's "DeathLove"

Which is kind of weird and awesome in it's own way.

Edited by Alenarino

Democrobot enters the fray.

1. The greatest female in the series is Deborah. Not only does she have the best va va voom! She also has great character development. If you read her party chat, you find out that underneath her ugly personality is actually a loving wife/mother who wants her family to be happy. She also has some usable combat skills, meaning that she isn't totally useless. Did I mention her va va voom?

2. Gabo is the best male in the series. Not only can he be used in a variety of roles, such as healing, attacking, support, or magic, he also is a wolf who turned into a boy. That is pretty cool in my books.

3. Puns and accents. I love them. They give the game its own personality. Without them, the games would be dull and bland. These horrible puns and bad accents are what define Dragon Quest as a series.

4. Dragon Quest or Dragon Warrior? I don't care. You don't have to like both, just accept the fact that not everyone will be in the same side as you.

5. Name changes. Just because someone uses the newer names over the older ones means absolutely nothing. And vice versa. Just ignore such a trivial detail and move on.

Democrobot prepares to defend.

1. The greatest female in the series is Deborah. Not only does she have the best va va voom! She also has great character development. If you read her party chat, you find out that underneath her ugly personality is actually a loving wife/mother who wants her family to be happy. She also has some usable combat skills, meaning that she isn't totally useless. Did I mention her va va voom?

2. Gabo is the best male in the series. Not only can he be used in a variety of roles, such as healing, attacking, support, or magic, he also is a wolf who turned into a boy. That is pretty cool in my books.

3. Puns and accents. I love them. They give the game its own personality. Without them, the games would be dull and bland. These horrible puns and bad accents are what define Dragon Quest as a series.

4. Dragon Quest or Dragon Warrior? I don't care. You don't have to like both, just accept the fact that not everyone will be in the same side as you.

5. Name changes. Just because someone uses the newer names over the older ones means absolutely nothing. And vice versa. Just ignore such a trivial detail and move on.

Prepare for death!

It's coming Democrobot.  I will thwart you, and beat you with words of truth and justice.

LOL, nah, I agree with everything you wrote.  All five points.

Unless the fans being split between Deborah and Bianca count as "Very Unpopular Opinions" that doesn't count.

I always thought he was feral.

It already had its own personality, it was a fun simple adventure you can easily enjoy and get drawn into like Final Fantasy just looks good, Persona is great if you're into modern anime, Tales of if you enjoy shipping, Pokemon for its pisseasiness and NPC trainers. Were you ever really into the series if you believe it couldn't stand on its own two feet without pandering to the Euros and simple minded people who think a pun a minute is the only things that can keep their minds interested in something, stuff that has shown at multiple times in game to compromise the original more serious feeling for something that seems a lot more lighthearted or to just make a joke. Only way that stuff should have any hope of staying should be if they ton it down instead of making most of script look like it was translated by a 5yr old, it's stuff like this that eventually gets out of hand and destroys the fanbase, just look at Final Fantasy, NISA, and other.

-

-

Prepare to become a scrapheap.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, liking Deborah is hardly a controversial stance. You could even go so far as it's an official opinion here. Didn't she win, or almost win, the Most-Liked Ladies contest you ran?

You could certainly argue the reasons why people like her. You seem to think her personality and character improves throughout the course of the game, while I'm sure a bunch of people here can confess it's mostly because of her... plot development.

Yeah, liking Deborah is hardly a controversial stance. You could even go so far as it's an official opinion here. Didn't she win, or almost win, the Most-Liked Ladies contest you ran?

You could certainly argue the reasons why people like her. You seem to think her personality and character improves throughout the course of the game, while I'm sure a bunch of people here can confess it's mostly because of her... plot development.

Yes, she developed very much. She's a well-rounded character.
  • Upvote 3

I see what you did there, Platty.

I think a more controversial opinion would be that Nera is the best choice for a wife in V, or the best female character in the series period.

• Upvote 1

Deborah filled out a place in DQV with more than the others offered. I mean, she split apart the 2 that were "meant to be". One might say broke the childhood friends apart, providing the cleavage to fracture them apart. I mean, she came from a family that was already well-endowed (with money, duh). At first, she's definitely more than a handful. Her cold demeanor nipped... oh well, you know where I was going with that.

Edited by Plattym3

Way to "nip" that joke in the butt before it got out of hand.

• Upvote 2

This isn't a big shocker since I'm kinda vocal about it, but contrary to popular opinion, DQV and DQVII are my least favorite DQ games.  Despite their storylines, I find them too linear and the latter too lengthy.

I picked Debora on my first Dragon Quest V DS playthrough. She was new and seemed really interesting. The only wife I haven't beaten the game with is Nera. I was almost through her file when my then girlfriend lost the cart. I got a new cart, but I haven't gotten through the first file yet. :ws-slimedead:

This isn't a big shocker since I'm kinda vocal about it, but contrary to popular opinion, DQV and DQVII are my least favorite DQ games.  Despite their storylines, I find them too linear and the latter too lengthy.

Linearity is my secondary biggest complaint about 8 honestly (Jessica being first). The raised continents are just stupid.

I actually really like Dragon Quest V, but I do think it's too short and simple. It's weird because my problem with VI was that it was too difficult figuring out what to do next, but with Dragon Quest V, you had no problem being directed to the next task. I think the period where you go off on your own without a story-mandated character and the point at which you get married are rather vague, but not in a confusing way, as you really don't have a huge world to wander around getting lost and confused at that point.

Anyways, the point I'm getting at is V is really easy and short. I finished it within three days. The night of Friday, all day Saturday, and then all day Sunday. I put whole days into it, sure, but I've done that with many games in the past and it would take me at least a whole week to finish them. I had a really short play time by the time I finished it. Maybe just above 30 hours or so.

Your girlfriend "lost' it huh? Sounds like somebody was jealous about your other wives.

Na she was just inconsiderate and didn't care to spend any effort looking. There was no jealousy there lol. She wasn't interested in keeping me around for much more than car drives to places she wanted to go. So yeah no Jealousy there.

I just think DQIX was...

A step forward, and a step behind.

The opinions on IX are all over the place.  I personally think not liking it is the unpopular opinion, but that could just be me.

Odd how DQIX shares a fate similar to Final Fantasy IX: People either seem to love it or hate it.

I liked Dragon Quest IX. It was the most "portable" Dragon Quest you could have possibly wanted in that it had a lot of post-game playability, which is pretty essential to a game you can take anywhere.

Edited by eal

I think it relied too heavily on that BS DQVC. I don't mind the shop. I do mind that it blocked post-game content unless you went on WiFi.

I've got one.

Dragon Quest has changed little from 1 to 9. A few additions such as the Alchemy Pot, Classes, and stuff like that, but at the heart of it?

It's a massive grindfest that has little-to-no story, depending on the game. 

It -needs- more change. If DQX was marketed for the PC from the get-go? We'd have it, and it'd be good for the series. DQH? It -looks- $#!&ing amazing and I just might get a PS4 for it.

This is what DQXI needs.

1. A story. From the beginning. Hell, DQIX started out pretty good, then went extremely flat. If it could have DQIX's beginning, DQ8's story-sense, and DQ5's options? LOVE.

2. Marketing. We didn't get much along the lines of marketing because SE doesn't think America really likes DQ. It's thanks to us BOMBARDING THEM WITH ATOMIC BOMBS that they even think about it right now. DQXI and DQH? Needs commercials that air during WWE RAW and $#!& like Zelda Ocarina of Time back in the day.

3. More gameplay. Don't make it such a grindfest. Make it cohesive. Dare I say... make it more like Final Fantasy in terms of leveling, unless there's classes.