I absolutely hate Chapter 4 in DQIV. Those 2 girls are such a nothing for me. I get them in Chapter 5 and can't wait to strip them of equipment for cash and relegate them to the back of the wagon.

Am I supposed to take that out of context?

No...? I don't know.

I don't like the characters. Give me a strong Alena any day. I don't ever use those 2 in my party if it can be helped in DQIV.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's your (now un-)secret opinion on something in the DQ universe that you know that the vast majority of other fans just hate or simply disagree with? Here's my 2:   1. First time names = canon.

Yes, she developed very much. She's a well-rounded character.

Yeah! Dragon Quest is SRS BZNS       ...I like the puns and alliteration and quirky charm.  Makes an enjoyable game even more enjoyable.

Is it Maya or Meena that had the attack spells? I kind of used her.

My endgame party was mostly Hero, Alena, Ragnar, and Kiryl.

My endgame party was Hero, Torneko, Kiryl, and Maya(? whichever one had buff).

sighs...

1. Hated how really easy DQIX was.

2. Hate how we just get mobiles.  

3. Hate SE's western marketing when it involves Dragon Quest. 

Yea, their we go. 

Those are not unpopular opinions, i think almost all of us can agree with that

Problem is alot of people I know would be against my opinions.  The world outside Dragons Den is large and vast. 

Dragon Quest 9 = Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

I think the series as a whole started going downhill at Dragon Quest VI. It just felt different than the other games. The looming threat disappears half way through the game and then you have to just go around solving every little town's problem to move the plot forward. I mean there are few towns that don't need the heroes for something. In the previous games you just needed to get information in a town or pick up an item. The times when you had to solve a problem for the town were few and far between. In VI it just became a wandering slog. Also the number of spells and skills were overwhelming. Loved the bonus boss though :). VII I never played, but the I have heard about the length of that slog. I played VIII but that game was frustrating. The number of different things I needed to do to get the boat was annoying. It's like every problem led to 3 new ones that needed to be worked on. Also the points for weapon skills was not a system I enjoyed. In IX the game's class changing system was simply too costly an unwieldy. You loose everything at a class change. Spells, weapons, and you can't just fight hard monsters to level up quickly. IX also sufferers from mini quest overload and having to solve way too many little problems. It's done better than in VI but still.

• Upvote 2

None of the Dragon Quest games are good. the series is overrated and unfun. koichi Sugiyama is a hack who no range or talent. Akira toriyama characters all look the same.

None of the Dragon Quest games are good. the series is overrated and unfun. koichi Sugiyama is a hack who no range or talent. Akira toriyama characters all look the same.

Here's just a few of mine...

Dragon Quest IX isn't very good, in my opinion.

I feel Dragon Quest II is underrated.

I prefer and use the Japanese names of all the characters over the localized ones. (Clift instead Cristo or Kiryl, Flora instead of Nera, etc.)

• Upvote 1

Excuse me, this is the unpopular opinions thread.

• Upvote 1

So, we're airing our unpopular opinions, huh?  Okay.

*Takes deep breath*

Dragon Quest V is one of my least favorite games in the series.

I don't think it's a bad game.  I don't hate it.  But a lot of people seem to think its one of the best in the series, while I... well... don't.

(Hey, if you love it, more power to you.  Just my personal opinion.)

• Upvote 1

Excuse me, this is the unpopular opinions thread.

Indeed, what else would we be here for, but to convince ourselves and everyone around, the illusion that DQ games are good.

Thought of some more:

Characters should have specific roles like in DQ4 and 8 in terms of battle use.

Dragon Quest V's story isn't the greatest in the series overall.

VIII's battle speed is fine.

VIII should have been the final main series DQ game. It was all downhill after that in terms of quality, thus how we ended up with the abomination that is DQIX.

Edit: The hell is with all the sexist comments?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

Torneko Taloon is the most badass character in the whole series.  Even Erdrick himself doesn't stand a chance.

• Upvote 1

I do too!

...So THAT'S why Princess Lilly always stood out to me. She's the girl who loves DQ2. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that when she came back I knew I was forgetting something about her.

Lilly, She Slime is the official name in Japan, of the Red Slime.  It is actually supposed to be the female version of a slime.  I'm not sure how that's sexist though.

I can't think of any unpopular DQ opinions I hold. I could state how much of a gameplay regression I think DQVIII was, but really, I see that one repeated by others more often than I though I would.

Then again, reading what I just wrote, I suppose I could say that I think the first nine entries in the main series are all great, and enjoy them to this day (even II, my least favorite). But I'd also hesitate to say that's an unpopular opinion of the series, especially on a DQ fansite.

Lilly, She Slime is the official name in Japan, of the Red Slime.  It is actually supposed to be the female version of a slime.  I'm not sure how that's sexist though.

And yet the Queen Slime is formed of 8 Pink Slimes, not She Slimes (those slimes i mentioned appear in DQX and DQM2)

And yet the Queen Slime is formed of 8 Pink Slimes, not She Slimes (those slimes i mentioned appear in DQX and DQM2)

Pink is a derivative of Red though ;).

Here's one for ya'...

We need(ed) the main series games in the following order-

The Loto trilogy mobile. Needed a consistent script, 16-bit quality. The only loss to 3 is clearly the intro, as Pacheesi is nothing special, and the monster animations on the SFC games were stilted, doing little to add to the experience. No loss there either. That said, Anroid/iOS compatibility problems exist, which is why consoles tend to be a more viable option. However, the screen size is far better than your average portable gaming system. Unfortunately, no happy marriage between the 2 exists.

DQX.

DQ7 Remake. However, we have a PS1 version with perfectly fine graphics. They are clearly superior to the 16-bit gen. and the quality is quite acceptable. The font sucks, I admit.

I somewhat consider the spin offs we lack to be of higher priority than 7.  Not the monster remakes so much as material we never got.

Other opinions people may not like:

DQ9 was excellent. During both my playthroughs I became so enamored at customizing my character that I broke 100 hours before beating Corvus. Its the only game that had me addicted to grinding. Using 8's superior skill point system was wise, and mixing it with class changing was brilliant.

The actual story of DQ6 was far superior to the game's main rival, FF6. However, FF6 presented its story in a better manner. Those games prove that how you tell a tale may be more important than the quality of the tale itself.

I enjoyed the 6/7 job system, but 8's skill point system is superior for its simplicity. Put in your points and BOOM!, off we go!

Joker one had a resonable scouting challenge. Joker 2 is notorious for failed scouts at 90+% regularly. I beat Rigor Mortex by around the 40 hour mark and called it good, whilst in Joker 1 I did most of the side stuff.

Edited by redneckpride4ever
  • Upvote 1

Here's one for ya'...

The Loto trilogy mobile. Needed a consistent script, 16-bit quality. The only loss to 3 is clearly the intro, as Pacheesi is nothing special, and the monster animations on the SFC games were stilted, doing little to add to the experience. No loss there either. That said, Anroid/iOS compatibility problems exist, which is why consoles tend to be a more viable option. However, the screen size is far better than your average portable gaming system. Unfortunately, no happy marriage between the 2 exists.

DQX.

DQ7 Remake. However, we have a PS1 version with perfectly fine graphics. They are clearly superior to the 16-bit gen. and the quality is quite acceptable. The font sucks, I admit.

I somewhat consider the spin offs we lack to be of higher priority than 7.  Not the monster remakes so much as material we never got.

DQ9 was excellent. During both my playthroughs I became so enamored at customizing my character that I broke 100 hours before beating Corvus. Its the only game that had me addicted to grinding. Using 8's superior skill point system was wise, and mixing it with class changing was brilliant.

The actual story of DQ6 was far superior to the game's main rival, FF6. However, FF6 presented its story in a better manner. Those games prove that how you tell a tale may be more important than the quality of the tale itself.

I enjoyed the 6/7 job system, but 8's skill point system is superior for its simplicity. Put in your points and BOOM!, off we go!

Joker one had a resonable scouting challenge. Joker 2 is notorious for failed scouts at 90+% regularly. I beat Rigor Mortex by around the 40 hour mark and called it good, whilst in Joker 1 I did most of the side stuff.

Do you have a sister?

• Upvote 1

Here's one for ya'...

DQX.

Do you have a sister?

Yes, but she's in her 60s.

X being a MMO doesn't bother me either.

Making X for the Wii and Wii U before -ever- considering a PC version, which could've easily been released in the US in the first place...

Was dumb. Super dumb. The Wii is not a MMO system. The Wii U doesn't even have a decent install base in the US, NOWHERE near anything to justify a MMORPG.

Can you imagine a few thousand players playing DQX? At least on the Gamecube and stuff PSO had no Nintendo Network to $#!& with.

It actually was pretty smart, making it for a PC in Japan on the other hand would be the dumbest thing to do.

I found Dragon Quest IX too much for me to handle, mainly because of the constant grinding when getting new classes and all the side quests. I've spent over 100 hours in it and I never beat it.

Why were you constantly changing classes?

Just find you favored weapon and have your party varied, when you find something new, don't have everyone change into it.

Also, you should be really close to the end, I beat it at 104:56 with dawdling

Now, if you wanna know true grinding in DQ, 938:46 post game and I still have one monsters left in the Bestiary, 25% left for Alchemy, and the two other things at 87%.

My endgame party was Hero, Torneko, Kiryl, and Maya(? whichever one had buff).

N/A

sighs...

1. Hated how really easy DQIX was.

2. Hate how we just get mobiles.  

3. Hate SE's western marketing when it involves Dragon Quest. 

Yea, their we go. 

Those are not unpopular opinions, i think almost all of us can agree with that

Problem is alot of people I know would be against my opinions.  The world outside Dragons Den is large and vast. 

Dude, I have never heard of people saying they enjoyed any of that except for a couple times where people enjoyed that they put them on phones so that they didn't have to a handheld just to play them. You just really casual friends.

Lamia = No, I think of the snake ladys from FF when I hear that.

I love skill overload, DQ 6 is great for that.

I HATE the Joker set up for the new monsters games.

I like the puns too, as long as I can actually get them... it's the text accents crap I hate.

I'm getting sick and tired of the puff-puff swap out bit... it's not funny just creepy or even outright F***ed up, the sheep @ss bit in DQ 9 officially was last straw for me.

I'm tired of the sexism even though as a girl I should like that girls get better stuff in DQ (DQ 3 is prefect example of female advantage in DQ).

I actually really like DQ 2 (but think it needs to be re-made with actual fixes to the game).

I think Malroth should actually be one of the biggest and strongest bosses.

I think Estark isn't all that great, not that I don't like him (I think the sleepy swords man is pretty cool, he's just not that good imo compared to how others like him.

I don't really see Estark as being that big, certainly not bigger than Malroth.

I think changing Red Slime to She Slime is sexist, um, why have to be girl or implied as female just because red? Also more inequality made since Red Slime usually stronger ones.

I think whips are bad idea to include as weapon especially for female characters.

DQ 5 is lame, boring story, too much drama, marriage crap is a bit sexist, not getting to choose which child gets to be the hero sucks (why does the boy have to be the legendary hero?), forced Bianca guilt trip crap made me hate the character and made me not approve of the canon, bonus dungeon was weak, re-used boss from previous game as bonus boss, monster recruiting handled poorly, too few neat items like use in battle items.

I agree with too many side-quests in DQ 9, but... I hate how stupid they were rather than how many there were. Like the sheep @ss puff-puff which I already mentioned, but also ridiculously tough ones that didn't feel worth the time to do.

Lamias were a thing before Final Fantasy

I hate sifting through the list in DQ9, all the times I've used the same combo against the Grotto bosses and I still can't remember where everything is.

-

The puns make the constant downers in DQ9 too weakened.

Kinda wanna see how far they can go with it.

Isn't that only happening in 3 and 9?

Never heard of any opposition to this one.

-

-

Seems like he'd be looking weird smaller.

It's because all females are commie filth trying to constantly pervert our way of thinking toward the way of mother Russia. In all honesty though I think those colors have been used to represent the sexes for decades.

Aww, now you're just being no fun.

I just dislike it for being the Final Fantasy 5 of the Dragon Quest series, people won't shut up about it being the best.

The ones that had you hunt down S rank Grotto bosses/monsters and the ones who had you doing crazy infuriating stuff like taking out metal slimes with Bagsy Last or whatever the skill was or actual hard to beat monsters hard?

Edited by Scrap

Here's one for ya'...

DQX.

Do you have a sister?

Yes, but she's in her 60s.

Eh, that's ok.  LOL.

Good list though, I agree with all but 2, and I haven't played Joker2 to comment.

• Upvote 1

I dislike Chapter 2 in Dragon Quest IV.

It's okay plot-wise, but it really shouldn't be longer than both the chapters that precede it and succeed it combined.

Also, Alena's the only decent party member you get. I hardly used Kiryl after Chapter 2, and never used Borya afterward.

Edited by Kitsune Hawk