I'm in the same boat. The name "David Bowie" definitely sounds familiar, but I don't recognize any of those songs.

Edited by SlimeVagrant
  • Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's your (now un-)secret opinion on something in the DQ universe that you know that the vast majority of other fans just hate or simply disagree with? Here's my 2:   1. First time names = canon.

Yes, she developed very much. She's a well-rounded character.

Yeah! Dragon Quest is SRS BZNS       ...I like the puns and alliteration and quirky charm.  Makes an enjoyable game even more enjoyable.

If you've heard "Under Pressure," by Queen, then you've heard David Bowie sing before.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to watch Labyrinth. The music in that movie is pretty good, as are the puppets by the good ol' Jim Henson crew.

So here's my unpopular cultural opinion of the week. I'd put it on Facebook, but I'd be lambasted...

Who was David Bowie? 38 years old and I'm sure I've heard of him, but until he died I wouldn't have guessed "singer" as my first guess. Can't tell you a single song he sung, but I'm sure I've heard them. Sad that he died, but that fact and he have changed my life 0%.

Oh my God. Someone get Dwaine and his ban hammer over hear.

So here's my unpopular cultural opinion of the week. I'd put it on Facebook, but I'd be lambasted...

Who was David Bowie? 38 years old and I'm sure I've heard of him, but until he died I wouldn't have guessed "singer" as my first guess. Can't tell you a single song he sung, but I'm sure I've heard them. Sad that he died, but that fact and he have changed my life 0%.

Oh my God. Someone get Dwaine and his ban hammer over hear.

I'm sure he'll here you if you keep saying it.

I put "here" on purpose. Figured it was clear why...

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I put "here" on purpose. Figured it was clear why...

D'oh. Well played. Walking the dog in subzero (for Florida) temperatures. Totally missed that.

Was David Bowie the real name of Boy George? They were the same dude, right?

I hate that the only DQ ARPG we'll have from now on (or at least until they decide to make another series) is a Musou-inspired game, of all things.

Of all things.

omg that's amazing! XD I actually did get a Cautery sword from a customer. But I just sold it at my own shop, I didn't think you could do something like that with it. That would certainly make that chapter much more bearable, I'll keep that in mind if I ever do a 2nd playthrough.

The chapter also does throw a couple of things to help you in the shop and tunnel milestones. There's the Statuette which gets you 25,000 gold, speeding up the purchase of the shop. The king will also give you an order for 7 Steel Broadswords and 7 Iron Armour., this gets you 60,000 gold itself. Now the Cautery Swords will help you get those items a bit quicker, since you more than likely going to buy at least part of the order(Monsters can drop some of it at random, but it's good to have the other option on the ready to move things along).

Edited by Stepchan

I hate that the only DQ ARPG we'll have from now on (or at least until they decide to make another series) is a Musou-inspired game, of all things.

Of all things.

I doubt that will be the only DQ Action RPG.  Kenshin and DQSwords kind of started the trend, though in a way, Slime Mori Mori is kind of an action rpg.  Then there's Torneko's mystery dungeon games, and the Yangus, which use an action oriented style.

Hey I've got one:

The recent press conference was wonderful.

(He said in an extremely sarcastic voice).

• Upvote 1

I personally loved Dragon Quest Swords, I know it was a mixed bag for many...but I took it for what it was. It was like playing an arcade game of Dragon Quest...and Loved that battle them. I just wish it been longer, but it was fun swinging the sword with the Wii-mote...it felt like it was indeed made with it in mind and not just something slapped on. 
Its just fun to go back to now and again. Though it is sad to see them poor slimes getting cut in half still just smiling away.

I personally loved Dragon Quest Swords, I know it was a mixed bag for many...but I took it for what it was. It was like playing an arcade game of Dragon Quest...and Loved that battle them. I just wish it been longer, but it was fun swinging the sword with the Wii-mote...it felt like it was indeed made with it in mind and not just something slapped on. 

Its just fun to go back to now and again. Though it is sad to see them poor slimes getting cut in half still just smiling away.

Sad or funny?  Then again, comedy and tragedy go hand-in-hand.

omg that's amazing! XD I actually did get a Cautery sword from a customer. But I just sold it at my own shop, I didn't think you could do something like that with it. That would certainly make that chapter much more bearable, I'll keep that in mind if I ever do a 2nd playthrough.

The chapter also does throw a couple of things to help you in the shop and tunnel milestones. There's the Statuette which gets you 25,000 gold, speeding up the purchase of the shop. The king will also give you an order for 7 Steel Broadswords and 7 Iron Armour., this gets you 60,000 gold itself. Now the Cautery Swords will help you get those items a bit quicker, since you more than likely going to buy at least part of the order(Monsters can drop some of it at random, but it's good to have the other option on the ready to move things along).

I know about those, I did them both when I played the game, but you still have to grind quite a bit.

The disappointment of Japanese fans over a press conference we weren't invited to shouldn't affect us whatsoever. At worst, they understand the foreign fan's struggle better after this, which is a good thing.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

I like both the English and Japanese names.  Dragon Warrior and Dragon Quest.  My username dqfan = Dragon Quest fan.  DQIX ruined everything good about Dragon Quest. I love DQVI. I love Yangus. Angelo, on the other hand, could disappear and it wouldn't bother me.

BTW, DQ2 was the greatest game in the main series. BOOM.

Unpopular opinions? Well considering that a lot of people are saying they don't like it...

I think Dragon Quest IX is one of the best in the mainline titles.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You like IX, Twinkie, because it is one of the best titles. Half the people here are ambivalent about storyline, and the only substantial difference in IX is that it focuses on smaller, more local stories than a grand overarching narrative (assuming you aren't one of those super salty Japanese fans who got steamed about the Change Clothes Quest). Beyond that one point, it's mechanically identical to III with VIII's skill trees.

Other opinions:
Jessica is the worst girl in VIII. (And could her remake romance please not keep drawing incestuous parallels between her brother and the hero? That's just a big bowl of N.O.P.E.)

Mr. Horii needs to take a few lessons in romance writing. I'm very fond of the same tropes as him, but, please, learn how to hype your love stories, man! You keep shooting yourself in the foot!
The only side character worth caring about in IV is Ragnar. The weakest character in Alena's chapter is the protagonist. VI has a better crew.

• Upvote 3