• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's your (now un-)secret opinion on something in the DQ universe that you know that the vast majority of other fans just hate or simply disagree with? Here's my 2:   1. First time names = canon.

Yes, she developed very much. She's a well-rounded character.

Yeah! Dragon Quest is SRS BZNS       ...I like the puns and alliteration and quirky charm.  Makes an enjoyable game even more enjoyable.

My unpopular opinion is... I really don't care for Dragon Quest VI. In fact I never finished the DS remake. All the others I played multiple times but VI... I dunno It's just not fun?

My unpopular opinion is... I really don't care for Dragon Quest VI. In fact I never finished the DS remake. All the others I played multiple times but VI... I dunno It's just not fun?

That's kind of an iffy one.  DQVI is a love or hate experience.  I think it comes down to the sheer volume of directions and concepts jumbled together.  I love it personally due to the scope and majesty of the ideas presented within it.  Ideas I wish more game creators would draw from, because it's rather unique in the world of stories.  A being with the power to literally rip the spiritual/dream world and place it into the physical plane, then create a lieutenant with the power to manipulate it, so it can be contained and controlled for all time, so whenever Morty wishes a new sacrifice, or to find and torture whoever he wants to, or a new slave to draw from manipulation of greed and avarice...he can.

Though I fully comprehend why so many have a strong dislike, or cannot find their peace with the game.  It just never settles on any one direction...pun NOT intended, seriously, *f* those guys!

That's kind of an iffy one. DQVI is a love or hate experience. I think it comes down to the sheer volume of directions and concepts jumbled together. I love it personally due to the scope and majesty of the ideas presented within it. Ideas I wish more game creators would draw from, because it's rather unique in the world of stories. A being with the power to literally rip the spiritual/dream world and place it into the physical plane, then create a lieutenant with the power to manipulate it, so it can be contained and controlled for all time, so whenever Morty wishes a new sacrifice, or to find and torture whoever he wants to, or a new slave to draw from manipulation of greed and avarice...he can.

Though I fully comprehend why so many have a strong dislike, or cannot find their peace with the game. It just never settles on any one direction...pun NOT intended, seriously, *f* those guys!

I too love 6, but I fully agree it's a love it or hate it kind of game. There are some things I wish were stronger or more fleshed out in 6, but for me it's still a fine game that had some interesting ideas. Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

DQVI is certainly one of the most divisive titles in the series. I've never seen any sort of middle ground for it.

On that note, I'm noticing that 9 is also a love-it-or-hate-it sort of deal these days, too. I think it resonates well with the newer fans, but It seems like fans of older DQ games aren't the most likely to peg 9 as one of their favorites.

I have done it 3 times all the way through. The partially translated SNES game, DS, and mobile.

Still, I fell like you.

I'm only an hour-ish into VI so I can't really make a good opinion on it, my sister is almost finished with it, but I do remember her struggling with it at times, like not getting any good spells, or not being able to progress even with a walkthrough because an event wouldn't trigger, and it took her a few days to figure it out.

She still seems to be enjoying it overall though.

I was surprised to see a lot of negativity towards IX though, all my friends loved that game, my sister and I played through it together twice.

I'm sorry you fell, Platty. How exactly did you do it though?

Maybe he meant through the holes of the Dream World to progress with the game? Or he fell while playing the mobile version on the go like how people walk around or drive while texting and don't pay attention...

Inquisitive minds want to know, Platty!

I'm only an hour-ish into VI so I can't really make a good opinion on it, my sister is almost finished with it, but I do remember her struggling with it at times, like not getting any good spells, or not being able to progress even with a walkthrough because an event wouldn't trigger, and it took her a few days to figure it out.

I was surprised to see a lot of negativity towards IX though, all my friends loved that game, my sister and I played through it together twice.

I detest IX. It's the only game in the series I don't like at all (save the symphonic version of the soundtrack) and is one of 2 games I absolutely hate out of all the games I've played in life.

The Joker series are bad games, caravan heart is complete garbage, and the puns/names are the worst thing to have ever happened to DQ.

Literally, if i had to choose what i hate more than ANYTHING in DQ its the god awful puns/names of the new age.

Let me explain. First, joker 1 and joker 2 are fun games, that are pretty good. HOWEVER, They have so many unforgivable flaws that i to this day cant bring myself to replay them. Flaw #1 is that J1 & 2 are simply vastly inferior to the GBC DWM 1 and 2. Thats like an umbrella term for everything im about to say next. Joker had no meat treats, not even in 2. Seriously, i f'ing HATE scouting when meat isnt involved. I felt like they took away a lovable feature of the originals, and unnecessarily replaced it. Joker had the NERVE to start the skill tree thing, which to this day i have a love hate relationship with. Sure you can still learn any move with any monster, but you cant have ANY combination of moves. In the orginals, you could have literally any combo of moves. Granted you could only have 8 to each monster, so joker has them beat on that part. Joker changed almost everything i LOVED about DQM. Breeding was called synthesis/fusion. Monsters had charges instead of genders. And of course, the names. Almost all monsters were re-named TERRIBLY. The names (with VERY few exceptions) are so bad it almost made me cry. Good example is FaceTree was renamed to TreeFace. Like why bother!

The attack names were god awful. Frizz? Crack? Zam? Sizzle? I could go on and on. Hate these names they sound so so corny.

I liked it when my monsters would Loose beastcut, or trip enemies with Big trip, i liked using Blazemost, Thordain, and more, like Gigaslash.

Caravan Heart had a great great concept, which was to combine The humans and monsters fighting together, but they executed it awfully. Its a concept i will do justice one day.

Idk i could talk till im blue in the face about Joker and CH, but seeing as how SE wised up with the remakes, it wont be necessary.

If i EVER see the remakes localized, and i see joker names, i will under no circumstances purchase the game. Either localize it properly or dont at all. one of the things i actually like about having my japanese copies, is that i just believe that everything translates in my head in classic terms. And i dont have to read in english these awful awful names.

No offense to anyone that likes them changes though, just wish you didnt.

Edited by GeneralSteps

It was meant to be. Ill fight till the end saying the classic DW terms were the best and the only way to go. Infact, not only would i punch the face of whoever decided to greenlight the new names, id dare to blame the failure of DQ in the west entirely on these names.

The true, underlying reason why i hate the names besides the fact that they suck, is that they were TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!

They could have saved time/money and effort by simply keeping everything that was already established as it was.

Theres a reason its called unpopular opinion.

Edited by GeneralSteps
  • Upvote 1

YangustheLegendaryBandit was right. Freaking Dream World and real world with holes in between. I fell asleep I guess. Literally.

Heard it was one of fans' worst DW games......but strangely reading up on it it seems it would probally be my 3rd fav if it's anything like what I have read? >_>

Maybe he meant through the holes of the Dream World to progress with the game? Or he fell while playing the mobile version on the go like how people walk around or drive while texting and don't pay attention...

Inquisitive minds want to know, Platty!

I detest IX. It's the only game in the series I don't like at all (save the symphonic version of the soundtrack) and is one of 2 games I absolutely hate out of all the games I've played in life.

And here I am with DQVI and DQIX two of my top five titles.

I'm afraid we can't be friends anymore, the honeymoon phase is over with EO and I shall smash the cartridge.

Ok.

Nothing will ever change my mind on IX. It's just sat in its box for about 5 years now, left unbeaten and abandoned...

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Now you will feel the same way.

Goodbye, dear chap.

It seems that generally a persons opinion on IX depends on when they played it. It's a great entry-point into the series, and if it's one of your first DQ games, you might like it more. For players more familiar to DQ, it's more split, because for every good thing added (multiplayer, visual customization, legacy bosses), there is something it lacks (character development, meaningful interactions).

• Upvote 1

Literally, if i had to choose what i hate more than ANYTHING in DQ its the god awful puns/names of the new age.

No offense to anyone that likes them changes though, just wish you didnt.

While I found some of the name changes silly, it wasn't a deal breaker for me. Overall, it's just something I take in stride.

The problem I have with IX is that it feels like the overly light-hearted bastard child of DQ3. There's just... nothing to it.

This is probably the only real criticism I have as well. Still enjoyed it, but felt a little more substance was needed, mainly during the main story.

I do love the grotto system, however.

Edited by Stepchan

I've been playing since DWI and still loved it, even the story.

But it reminded me of DQIII mixed with DQVII style vignettes, which I loved and most I found enjoyable.

I even loved the create a party, I gave them all personalities.

Not saying every DQ needs to be like that, I do appreciate the preset characters, but I do like mixing it up every once in a while.

My gripes are no defined post game, more endless grotto grinding, one save and DQVC stuff not being available anymore.

Edited by Tiael

If it really lacks on story and character development I might not like it after all? But the plot sounded interesting in the paragraphs I read.

And I'm pretty sure I has an unpopular opinion when I say that Rhapthorne is smexy. v_v

That's not "unpopular," so much as it is...unexpected, I guess.

But to each their own.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

And I'm pretty sure I has an unpopular opinion when I say that Rhapthorne is smexy. v_v

Probably the goatee.

Naw. I like his personality for some reason I feel close to him and that makes him attractive but I doubt many other people like him. Most like Yangus I think (I love Yangus and most others but Rhapthorne was always my fav!) I like you get to see Rhapthorne and get to know him coming to power throughout the whole game x3 "Kanashii na, kanashii na!" I like Dhoul as well though we don't get to hear from him as much except now they have scenes which I love and it expands on that cute lil emo Dhoulmagus XD He's so sad <.< and I always thought it funny how Rylius (or whatever the masters name was) is who was little mean to him to make him grab the sceptre and give up his humanity for power. Stupid Rylius v.v