I think the inclusion of marriage to Deborah in Dragon Quest V remake for the DS was a terrible idea. I don't like her as a character at all.

Hey this thread is "very unpopular DQ opinions," not "worst DQ opinions" lol.

Deborah is the best DQ waifu. :P

It took me awhile to get used to the "DQ 8 localizations" but now I can't go back to the NES names for the spells.

Frizz, Sizz, and Woosh, and Crack > Blaze, Fireball, Infernos, and Ice Bolt

I don't know when I started to prefer the new names but at some point in time I did. The old names are rather bland and the new names go well with the silly localizations and puns (Count Uptaten, Pastor Bedthyme, Jack of All Trades/Master of Nuun, and so on).

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty
  • Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's your (now un-)secret opinion on something in the DQ universe that you know that the vast majority of other fans just hate or simply disagree with? Here's my 2:   1. First time names = canon.

Yes, she developed very much. She's a well-rounded character.

Yeah! Dragon Quest is SRS BZNS       ...I like the puns and alliteration and quirky charm.  Makes an enjoyable game even more enjoyable.

I think the inclusion of marriage to Deborah in Dragon Quest V remake for the DS was a terrible idea. I don't like her as a character at all.

It took me awhile to get used to the "DQ 8 localizations" but now I can't go back to the NES names for the spells.

I don't know when I started to prefer the new names but at some point in time I did. The old names are rather bland and the new names go well with the silly localizations and puns (Count Uptaten, Pastor Bedthyme, Jack of All Trades/Master of Nuun, and so on).

That last point is not that unpopular anymore, maybe 2~3 years ago.  There are still remnants of the old fans who still hate the name changes, but many have slowly grown to enjoy them.  I find they add character and flavour unique to DQ.  It compliments the charm of the series, especially as Horii seems hell bent on making the remakes and current games with brighter colour palettes.  Something no game series has, period.  Kind of like Mother has its own unique sets of names and tables, and Phantasy Star's tech system (or PS4's magic system...man I want that game remade SOOOOO badly).

That's quite possibly the only bad thing I have to say about anything Dragon Quest. I just really don't get the love for her as a character.

That's quite possibly the only bad thing I have to say about anything Dragon Quest. I just really don't get the love for her as a character.

Of all the women you can choose, she's the only one with any noticeable development.  Bianca is just thankful, but then, Bianca is always thankful for the Main's existence, period.  You were already the only thing she ever thought of before you married her, when you were looking for the rings, if you pick her as a wife, and it remains the same afterwards.  Nera has...slight changes, in that she's less naughty when you save her, and slightly more thoughtful, but she was already intelligent and suprisingly thoughtful.  Deborah really does a 180. She slowly becomes less abrasive as you get to Gotha, but after saving her, she's still a bit snarky, but is quite gracious, sometimes sweet, and shows a feminine side that was clearly hidden and deeply buried.  In a way, this change alone makes her worthwhile to me.  It also makes for better in-family talks with the kids, because she's the most attentive towards teaching them, and it feels like they spent more time assuring that dialogue was more thoughtful and showcased perhaps the best mother, and overall the best wife.

Edited by ignasia7

Dragon Quest VII's opening - the part of the game up until you first visit Rexwood / Woodpalena (Japanese name) is too short. Even in the PSX version. I loved the puzzles in the ruins - and they shortened all the puzzles elements in the 3DS/Mobile versions, taking my favorite parts of the game (gameplay-wise, at least - there are better parts of the story) completely out.

It's an unpopular opinion thread. Leave the man to say his piece and let it be.

Well,I wasn't criticizing his dislike of Deborah. Just his desire to rob others of the option to marry her.

Dragon Warrior VII deserved a better remake rather than the one it got.

This is true. The one it got is *decent* - but it cuts some of my favorite features. First of all - the beginning of the game was shortened. I loved the puzzles in the beginning, but I understand why many people dislike them. Then there's the pick up/throw ability, which for whatever reason was dropped from the entire series after DQ8 PS2 (making many of the remaining puzzles in DQ7's remake very simplified and uninteresting). And the immigrant town is simplified, like DQ4's was in it's most recent remakes (DS and mobile). DQ7 definitely deserved a better remake than it got. But the one it did get is fun to play nonetheless.

Well,I wasn't criticizing his dislike of Deborah. Just his desire to rob others of the option to marry her.

I never said I didn't want it in the game, just that I think it was a bad inclusion. Marry her all you want. I just never will.

I never said I didn't want it in the game, just that I think it was a bad inclusion. Marry her all you want. I just never will.

Okay if that's what you meant. But in your original post you said you thought the inclusion of marriage to Deborah was a terrible idea.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Okay if that's what you meant. But in your original post you said you thought the inclusion of marriage to Deborah was a terrible idea.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

I still do think that, but it by no means implies I want it out. Terrible thing exist in games all the time, even the ones you like. We all just deal with it.  :P

• 1 month later...

That's not an unpopular opinion. That's the majority view.

Unless you're talking about just us, I guess. I actually don't know which series the majority of Denizen's is better. But yes, Pokemon is better.

I like the breeding mechanics of the DQM series better than what's in Pokemon, myself. I have a friend that is really into perfect IV breeding, and that doesn't seem fun to me, but I like making new monsters out of existing monsters in DQM, I don't know how different it is between the two breeding styles, though. I stopped playing Pokemon after Gold and picked back up with X.

I like Pokemon better than Dragon Quest Monsters.

I've never really played DQM outside of trying one of the old ones. I just couldn't get into it for some reason.

That's not an unpopular opinion. That's the majority view.

Unless you're talking about just us, I guess. I actually don't know which series the majority of Denizen's is better. But yes, Pokemon is better.

Well of course it's not an unpopular opinion in general, but this is a thread about Unpopular DQ Opinions, so... :)

I like the breeding mechanics of the DQM series better than what's in Pokemon, myself. I have a friend that is really into perfect IV breeding, and that doesn't seem fun to me, but I like making new monsters out of existing monsters in DQM, I don't know how different it is between the two breeding styles, though. I stopped playing Pokemon after Gold and picked back up with X.

I hated the 'breeding' mechanics in DQM: Joker 2.  It was all, "synth this monster with this other monster and get a monster that isn't at all remotely like the two!" I found it to be a PITA to figure out how to manage it.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently thinking that DW doesn't pull off silent-hero thing too well is a very unpopular opinion! XD But alas it's what I think.

• Upvote 1

Nimzo is the worst DQ villain. He is barely developed, and was completely upstaged by his minion. In the original version he practically comes out of nowhere. You could say the same of Malroth, but he wasn't really the main villain. If that wasn't enough, aside from the DragonLord he is probably the easiest final boss in any mainline DQ game. Especially since he came after the marathon boss Psaro and before the soul-crushing Mortamor (assuming you're not just using Kazapple or Magic Burst). Also, his battle theme isn't bad by any means, but it isn't one of the better final boss themes.

Edited by The Chief
  • Upvote 1

Nimzo is the worst DQ villain. He is barely developed, and was completely upstaged by his minion. In the original version he practically comes out of nowhere. You could say the same of Malroth, but he wasn't really the main villain. If that wasn't enough, aside from the DragonLord he is probably the easiest final boss in any mainline DQ game. Especially since he came after the marathon boss Psaro and before the soul-crushing Mortamor (assuming you're not just using Kazapple or Magic Burst). Also, his battle theme isn't bad by any means, but it isn't one of the better final boss themes.

I can agree with that. DQV did a lot well, but Nimzo was really disappointing, especially following Psaro. The only thing interesting about him is the font he uses when he talks.

I can agree with that. DQV did a lot well, but Nimzo was really disappointing, especially following Psaro. The only thing interesting about him is the font he uses when he talks.

The reason I found him disappointing is that he just didn't feel like the final boss, as in he didn't leave a huge impact with me. With Psaro, he is referenced throughout the entire game, and it all builds up to the final battle with him. Even with Mortamor, you feel like you're going up against an ultimate evil. You see his realm and what he's done to the people there, so you know what will happen to your world if you don't stop him. Nimzo didn't leave that impression.

Luckily for DQV the story was great even without Mildrath's dreadful omnipresence.

This has probably already been posted before, but while we're on the topic of DQV I thought of another one. I never marry Bianca. I like her as a character, but the other two brides just appeal to me more.

I think I'm the one who has the unpopular opinion, because I actually really like Nimzo/Mildrath. And his boss theme is my favorite final boss theme in the whole series.