I'm such a bad reader in my head. I just make up nicknames for things and then always read them that way. It's been interesting as I've listened to 13 books in the Wheel of Time series and then looked up information on them. Many of the spellings would not have led me to the pronunciations they have on the audio. Seriously, I read so quick & dirty that I don't really hear much in my head.

It's because of something like this that I've always called the Dekus from The Legend of Zelda "Dukas." (Think of duke with an "ah" sound at the end).

I don't know why or how I came around to calling them that, but it's stuck with me ever since I started the series way back when I was a kid. Perhaps my bad eye sight had something to do with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's your (now un-)secret opinion on something in the DQ universe that you know that the vast majority of other fans just hate or simply disagree with? Here's my 2:   1. First time names = canon.

Yes, she developed very much. She's a well-rounded character.

Yeah! Dragon Quest is SRS BZNS       ...I like the puns and alliteration and quirky charm.  Makes an enjoyable game even more enjoyable.

I'd be interested in hearing how someone who read these novels would think of the audio versions. I'm reading the Wikipedia page again right now and still shaking my head over actually seeing some words. I mean, I've spent 2 years and literally hundreds of hours hearing but not seeing them.

I've done both. A lot of the names sound drastically different than I would have pronounced them. I only listened to Some of book two though, I haven't heard how myrddraal sounds, though. Weird I suppose. Nynaeve was the weirdest one I heard.

Edited by Bururian

I'm such a bad reader in my head. I just make up nicknames for things and then always read them that way. It's been interesting as I've listened to 13 books in the Wheel of Time series and then looked up information on them. Many of the spellings would not have led me to the pronunciations they have on the audio. Seriously, I read so quick & dirty that I don't really hear much in my head.

For years I never attempted to pronounce myrddraal. I still really don't.

Myr as in Mirror, Ddraal, as in Drawl, for what letter to sound out the loudest: mir Drawl

It's because of something like this that I've always called the Dekus from The Legend of Zelda "Dukas." (Think of duke with an "ah" sound at the end).

I don't know why or how I came around to calling them that, but it's stuck with me ever since I started the series way back when I was a kid. Perhaps my bad eye sight had something to do with it.

Weirdo...

I used to say it outloud as De KUUU!  Taste dez deKUUU! nutz yo!

Edited by ignasia7

That's still too weird on the tongue, I'll just call them fades, since that was their nicknames in the series anyways.

Actually all the audio books pronounce them rhyming with the word fur.

Mur drawl

For years I never attempted to pronounce myrddraal. I still really don't.

Myr as in Mirror, Ddraal, as in Drawl, for what letter to sound out the loudest: mir Drawl

Weirdo...

I used to say it outloud as De KUUU! Taste dez deKUUU! nutz yo!

Yeah, yeah, I know it's weird. But I just can't bring myself to pronounce it as "De-ku."

I don't really like the Teeny Sanguini.

It's just so... creepy.

• Upvote 1

I hope I don't get the ban hammer for expressing this opinion:

JESSICA'S BOOBS ARE TOO BIG.

Is it really that they're too big, or is it that they lack proper physics?

Edited by ignasia7

Plenty of video game boobs look good while lacking terrible boob physics.

Her standard costume certainly doesn't help. They look like they're having trouble breathing and are about to pop out. They just look strange in that costume. There's something unsettling about them. The fact that I'm using these adjectives to describe a pair of breasts should be an indicator of how much I don't like them.

Plenty of video game boobs look good while lacking terrible boob physics.

Her standard costume certainly doesn't help. They look like they're having trouble breathing and are about to pop out. They just look strange in that costume. There's something unsettling about them. The fact that I'm using these adjectives to describe a pair of breasts should be an indicator of how much I don't like them.

Unpopular DQ opinion indeed, eal!

Also, anyone who can't appreciate the amazingly long distance pun that is Zere is dead inside.

Yep, the Xerox copy of Zere, rocks, in a place WITH rocks, of a place THAT rocks, high up on sheer rocks.

I'm actually not that fond of DQIII. I mean. I like it, but I rank it below almost every non-spinoff game that comes after it (Not counting X, as I never played it)

Also, anyone who can't appreciate the amazingly long distance pun that is Zere is dead inside.

The pun involving Zere is my favorite pun in the game.

What is the pun? I can't recall.

Sent from my MotoPod

I hope I don't get the ban hammer for expressing this opinion:

JESSICA'S BOOBS ARE TOO BIG.

Poppycock.

Sent from my MotoPod

I'm actually not that fond of DQIII. I mean. I like it, but I rank it below almost every non-spinoff game that comes after it (Not counting X, as I never played it)

Zere.

And then, later, Zere Rocks.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Zere.

Well I know the names of the towns. What I was asking what is it a pun of?

Sent from my MotoPod

Zere.

Sent from my MotoPod

Zere Rocks is an exact copy of the town of Zere, just made out of rocks.

In the US, the company Xerox is pretty much the biggest name in photocopiers. They're so prevalent, people even use the word as a verb. "I need to go Xerox some more of these expense reports." Xerox is pronounced exactly like Zere Rocks.

Zere Rocks being a copy of Zere

Xerox.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/xerox+copy

Exactly. Used as a verb it's such a known company.

Even if it's not a Xerox machine at work people still say they're gonna Xerox instead of making copies, yep.

Zere.

Sent from my MotoPod

Zere Rocks is an exact copy of the town of Zere, just made out of rocks.

In the US, the company Xerox is pretty much the biggest name in photocopiers. They're so prevalent, people even use the word as a verb. "I need to go Xerox some more of these expense reports." Xerox is pronounced exactly like Zere Rocks.

Zere Rocks being a copy of Zere

Xerox.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/xerox+copy

Exactly. Used as a verb it's such a known company.
Oh OK. I know what Zere Rocks was, but (even knowing it meant literally made of rocks) I always read it as "Zere rocks!" As in, Zere is really cool.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Since he said Zere was a pun too, I wasn't thinking about Zere Rocks too hard. I was trying to figure out what could possibly be penny about Zere.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

I think the inclusion of marriage to Deborah in Dragon Quest V remake for the DS was a terrible idea. I don't like her as a character at all.

Edited by Bururian

All that effort and work on my full explanation of the pun, and it's overlooked and unappreciated.  It's a 3-way pun, not just one element, 3.

You know I was wondering about that Zere pun, and after finding out the pun...

(Facepalms)

I hate DQ IV. Hate it; I have tried to finish it about 10 times, and can just never muscle through it. Too much level grinding, and I just don't feel invested in anything with the chapters system.

I think the inclusion of marriage to Deborah in Dragon Quest V remake for the DS was a terrible idea. I don't like her as a character at all.

Complaints like this I don't understand though. You don't have to marry her and it's always best to have as many options as possible.

It's an unpopular opinion thread. Leave the man to say his piece and let it be.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1