Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

Very Unpopular DQ Opinions

I know...

And why do people seem to think the fan translations of 5 and 6 should mean... anything at all to SE?

I see people comparing names and stuff when technically, we never had the titles in the first place.

I'm not downing the folk who made the patches now, but unfortunately, SE is not Falcom.

Falcom basically bought a patch for Ys Oath in Felghana, for those not in the know.

I think if everyone that does not like the pun translations would let square enix know we do not like it, maybe they will stop. 

• Upvote 1

I think if everyone that does not like the pun translations would let square enix know we do not like it, maybe they will stop.

Square Enix always listens to our pleas when we ask them something.

• Upvote 1

ha, yeah that is right about square enix. what am i thinking? it took fans wanting a FF7 remake for years for them to finally catch on.

It looks like they've been working on FF VII Remake for a while, and if in time it will be released 2017

ha, yeah that is right about square enix. what am i thinking? it took fans wanting a FF7 remake for years for them to finally catch on.
To be fair, SE is generally very accommodating to Western FF fans. It's DQ that gets the brush off.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I don't know if it's true but I'm under the impression the English Version is doing a little more with the puns, and particularily the accents than the others versions.
Bianca speaks normally in the French Version, and the only accents I really remember are Alena and the Laissez Fayre (Teafortwo) Aera (Where they replace the French with English, in the French Version, as is apparently the convention.)

They're also all te Alltrades abbey things in DQIX where they just call it the Abbey of Vocation. (The Father is named Blaise for the Blaisepheme (from Blasphemy) joke.)

And honnestly Balzack/Dickenz - Baalzack/Deickenz is really clever naming. (The fact they decided to adapt the puns to each language is pretty impressive.

And say what you want about the puns, at least respect the work put into it. It shows that transators actually care about DQ, and wants to makes it fun and enjoyable for everybody. 

They may get overboard, but I prefer them to do too much that to release half-assed translations, which DQ ids as far as possible from. 

Also, the new theme naming is just... better. It feels more professional, and if you prefer the old one, it's only because of nostalgy (which isn't necessarily wrong, mind you.)

• Upvote 2

I hope that the 3DS Dragon Warrior VII remake isn't localized, so that the English series can die with the one remaining shred of dignity it has.

Err.

I'd say this is probably a 50-50 among fans, but for the most part, I don't like blatant pop culture and Earth-related references in DQ.  My main issue with this is that it takes you out of the game universe, out of the medieval fantasy setting, for (at most) what amounts to a quick gag.  I'm mainly talking about the hip-hop priest in DQIX's Batsureg town, the fact that DQIII's map resembles Earth's continents and of course my least favorite of all: localized phonetic accents.  On the other hand, I prefer accents for voice acting, it's just when I have to pour through DQIV-VI's text (mostly IV) and decipher or translate what the NPCs are saying, it makes for a frustrating user experience.

Err.

To be fair, his position is an extremely unpopular opinion.

Some people just hate the new localization changes to a point where they feel the series is destroyed as a result.  Most who dislike it just...dislike it, but yeah, this one is pretty extreme.

I hope that the 3DS Dragon Warrior VII remake isn't localized, so that the English series can die with the one remaining shred of dignity it has.

That's 100% on topic! 

• Upvote 2

That's 100% on topic!

It's almost as if, with this being his one and only post, that he's a troll or something.

• Upvote 1

I'd say this is probably a 50-50 among fans, but for the most part, I don't like blatant pop culture and Earth-related references in DQ. My main issue with this is that it takes you out of the game universe, out of the medieval fantasy setting, for (at most) what amounts to a quick gag. I'm mainly talking about the hip-hop priest in DQIX's Batsureg town, the fact that DQIII's map resembles Earth's continents and of course my least favorite of all: localized phonetic accents. On the other hand, I prefer accents for voice acting, it's just when I have to pour through DQIV-VI's text (mostly IV) and decipher or translate what the NPCs are saying, it makes for a frustrating user experience.

I agree with you, to an extent.

However, I was under the impression that DQ3 was more than just the map. I felt like it WAS the Earth or at least the earth in an alternate universe. It's telling the origin story of Alefgard, in that the people of Alefgard came from Earth.

I don't mind DQ3's design so much because it's the focal point of the game and it isn't being done for a cheap laugh. Now the puns and pop culture references from later in the series are quite shameless as they strain credulity simply to just get a laugh. It pulls me out of the game almost every time.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Edited by AustNerevar

I find it disappointing that they went with the graphical style they chose for the DQ7 remake.

Playing through the mobile remake by memory, the overall graphics are kind of choppy. It looks like an updated version of the engine they used for DQ5PS2, which was ugly as sin. In other words, the graphical style they went with makes the game look overly cartoony, especially for the monsters (The monsters in the original didn't look as silly as they do now). In addition, the textures are OK, but they're worse for the character models (Jesus Christ, that Golem and Fire Giant).

The towns and dungeons look like the PS1 version but just scaled bigger with better textures. Plus the character animations look almost as robotic as in DQ5PS2.

They would've been better off going with a style similar to DQ8's or the Joker games.

Edited by SlackerGuyS21

I'm actually not that fond of DQIII. I mean. I like it, but I rank it below almost every non-spinoff game that comes after it (Not counting X, as I never played it)

Also, anyone who can't appreciate the amazingly long distance pun that is Zere is dead inside.

Edited by Touchfuzzy

I actually really enjoy the puns. Names like cyclown are more fun than literal names like "tornado monster" for example. The dragon warrior names are too literal. Unique punny names makes the series stand out more, most of them are really well done too.

The accents are great  as well, the only game that might have gone too far was dq iv ds. I remember trying to understand what everyone was trying to say in ragnar's chapter. I got used to it though.

Yeah the opinion that the localisation sucks is popular enough for this to be somewhat unpopular :|

Edited by Amos

I'm actually not that fond of DQIII. I mean. I like it, but I rank it below almost every non-spinoff game that comes after it (Not counting X, as I never played it)

Also, anyone who can't appreciate the amazingly long distance pun that is Zere is dead inside.

The pun involving Zere is my favorite pun in the game.

• Upvote 1

Doric's name sounds too close to Dork.

I'd never even thought of it. Just now I said it aloud. Hahaha! I get it!
  • Upvote 2

Doric's name sounds too close to Dork.

Maybe they did that because he's overly loud and dramatic?

I'd never even thought of it. Just now I said it aloud. Hahaha! I get it!
Oh wow. Yeah. It needs verbalization.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I'm such a bad reader in my head. I just make up nicknames for things and then always read them that way. It's been interesting as I've listened to 13 books in the Wheel of Time series and then looked up information on them. Many of the spellings would not have led me to the pronunciations they have on the audio. Seriously, I read so quick & dirty that I don't really hear much in my head.

I'm such a bad reader in my head. I just make up nicknames for things and then always read them that way. It's been interesting as I've listened to 13 books in the Wheel of Time series and then looked up information on them. Many of the spellings would not have led me to the pronunciations they have on the audio. Seriously, I read so quick & dirty that I don't really hear much in my head.

For years I never attempted to pronounce myrddraal. I still really don't.