Nah, they don't.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's your (now un-)secret opinion on something in the DQ universe that you know that the vast majority of other fans just hate or simply disagree with? Here's my 2:   1. First time names = canon.

Yes, she developed very much. She's a well-rounded character.

Yeah! Dragon Quest is SRS BZNS       ...I like the puns and alliteration and quirky charm.  Makes an enjoyable game even more enjoyable.

When half my students laugh and the other half groan, I'm glowing inside!

Heck, I'm glowing when they all groan.

And alliteration and rhyming are 2 of my favorite literary devices.

In grad school, I came up with long alliterations for the subtitles to all my papers. It was the only fun I had in two years.

• Upvote 1

They do need to end. What if that is the reason  DQ games are not released out side Japan? It takes more time and money for them to come of with name changes and jokes. In Japan it is not a joke series. If i did not know DQ already, the jokes would ruin the games for me. It's no wonder not many westerners can get into the series. and people wonder, why are the DQ games not being released?  

• Upvote 1

What if that is the reason  DQ games are not released out side Japan? It takes more time and money for them to come of with name changes and jokes.

It's not the reason. I promise. There is no extra money being wasted going to a "joke" budget.

My problem with the localization changes is that in many cases they take away from the games innate personality and inject it with something else. What is the point of changing Barbara to Ashlynn? Changing Elysian Academy to Swinedimples? There is a time and place. It isn't the the localization teams place to rewrite the games. They are supposed to match the creators intent

My problem with the localization changes is that in many cases they take away from the games innate personality and inject it with something else. What is the point of changing Barbara to Ashlynn? Changing Elysian Academy to Swinedimples? There is a time and place. It isn't the the localization teams place to rewrite the games. They are supposed to match the creators intent

Ashlynn is exceptionally clever, given the meaning of the name.

Also, I kinda disagree. It's "localization."  Local is the key part of that word.

Yeah, that means making adapting cultural language and references to make it relatable to an audience in a different culture. That doesn't mean whole sale changes to reflect whatever whim the translator feels. They should be going by whatever intent the creator had.

I'd be okay with puns and accents if they were there in the original Japanese version... But in a lot of cases they were arbitrarily added. I'm okay with the spell names since those were changed to better reflect the Japanese intention. But in a lot of cases its change for the sake of change.

• Upvote 2

What if they believed the Western audience would be more appreciable of or more attuned to that kind of thing?  What if they believed those changes would make for a better sell to those kinds of audiences?

Edited by The Mystical One

For all we know, Horii could have had to approve the changes, or at least had them run by him.

He could even appreciate them.

That said, yes I'm greedy but I would rather keep the puns, name changes, alliterations and accents. 

Not at the cost of no DQ games overseas, but the puns/jokes aren't the thing keeping DQ from being released, it's SE's impossible expectations.

Edited by Tiael

That isn't their job.

Yes. It. Is.

They are determining the translation that best fits the culture and marketplace they are localizing for.

That's how localization is done.  You do exactly that.

And here, they thought charm and puns and cleverness befits the culture and marketplace better.  So that's how they localized.

Edited by The Mystical One
  • Upvote 1

Ashlynn is exceptionally clever, given the meaning of the name.

Also, I kinda disagree. It's "localization." Local is the key part of that word.

Someone please explain the whole Ashylnn thing. It's always been over my head.

That isn't their job.

Actually, I believe by definition, it is. And if you think they do all this without approval, Hahahahahahahahhaha. No really, that's laughable.

I get you don't like it. Ok, that's fine, but don't paint a broad stroke of people not doing their jobs well and going rogue to do so. I don't like paying $15 to watch a movie, but it isn't the high school kid taking my money who makes that call.

• Upvote 2

Something to do with her name or a variation of her name meaning dream in Gaelic.

If you're going by DQ5 and 6's localizations...

We never got those titles. Fan translation patches are great, but sadly, they do not count.

They took in the fact everyone aged 10 years since those games came out and tried their best to add modern culture into them a bit at a time.

That and... well, Hassan was not a good name for Carver.

We never got those titles. Fan translation patches are great, but sadly, they do not count.

They took in the fact everyone aged 10 years since those games came out and tried their best to add modern culture into them a bit at a time.

And when you consider they lightened his skin tone.

And when you consider they lightened his skin tone.

That was a weird change.

What do you would happen if they did this with all other square enix games? fans would not like it. 

it's like the old english dub of DBZ that was bad. 

No, it's not.

Roto, just stop. We get that you and several others clearly don't like the pun heavy translations, but they are here to stay whether you like it or not.

• Upvote 1

I think the puns are overdone, myself, but they work, oddly.

I just don't like blaze turning into frizz and sizz.

Kasizzle? Rly?

I think the puns are overdone, myself, but they work, oddly.

I just don't like blaze turning into frizz and sizz.

Kasizzle? Rly?

Too bad not every RPGS can have the naming conventions of SMT games.

I know...

And why do people seem to think the fan translations of 5 and 6 should mean... anything at all to SE?

I see people comparing names and stuff when technically, we never had the titles in the first place.

I'm not downing the folk who made the patches now, but unfortunately, SE is not Falcom.

Falcom basically bought a patch for Ys Oath in Felghana, for those not in the know.