Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

Very Unpopular DQ Opinions

That was well laid out.  Personally I stray as far from puns in my writing as I possibly can.  Not so much because I don't like them, but because I tend to be on a different wavelength in my thought process.  My writing tends towards the more serious.  I suppose for myself, the puns in Dragon Quest draw me closer to the game, as they're so anathema to me, that I feel more immersed as it's like a whole new experience from everything and anything else out there in the gaming world.  It really is rather unique in gaming.

I agree about the overusage of puns can be bad, but the quality, most of the time, I've seen in the DQ releases, does show that extra effort and thought.  I still get kicks from the enemy names at times.  Bewarewolf, lol.  That gets me every time.

Jack of Alltrades is in Dragon Quest IX.  You battle him as the boss, Master of Nu'un, to unlock the ability to change classes.

I wonder, given your experience with Reddit, it's likely you've been punned-out, due to over exposure.  I'm sure, given your personal nature, as you've described, that has likely made it harder to enjoy Dragon Quest on the DS, at least in light of the number of puns.

Actually LIKING the accents...for shame!  I kid, I like DQ4's as well.  It is a rather unpopular opinion.

I wonder if the discussion about Dr. Agon went something like this:

PAGuy1: So, what puny name did you come up with for the Zenith Dragon?

PAGirl1: Dr.....wait for it.....wait for it.....Agon!

PAGuy1: What?  Seriously?  You were bored right, couldn't think of anything?

PAGirl1: *sigh, looks bashful* ...yes *meekly, then perks up*, but I gave him a Flanders personality?!?!

PAGuy1: GENIUS!  That should cover that name.

PAGirl1: Well, did you come up with a better name.

*3 hours pass*

PAGuy1: Yeah, we'll leave it at Flanders the Drago...err, Dr. Agon.

Edited by ignasia7

DQVIII was a step back from dqvii

Creatively, I completely agree.

How so? Really the only advantage it has over vii is the graphics. Story, music, characters and gameplay, vii has it stomped.

That's precisely what I mean.

i also find DQVII the better game over DQVIII, though the one thing I've praised DQVIII for is the presentation, scope, scale, the grandeur of it all.

Not sure if unpopular or not, but DQVI is an awesome DQ and a personal top 5, beats DQVIII for me too.

I also love the puns and accents and find they add to the charm for me.

I prefer the new style over the older games, plus give me Plus Alpha (and to an extent 8-4 though toned it down) any day of the week.

I love their work on the series, even Ragnar and Alena's chapters in DQIV, on top of the entirety of DQIX and their other works.

Edited by Tiael

This isn't a DQ bashing thread. It can be quite the opposite actually. What is something you like that maybe other DQ fans dont. Maybe you think Ashylnn is the most overpowered DQVI character ever! This is a place to say what you think goes against the DQ norm.

I didn't mean to seem offended so pardon me on that, I just didn't know people thought that before now. My first run (before I learned), I didn't use Spears for the Hero, I used Swords. As a result, only Yangus was capable of striking critical hits against metal monsters. The nose digging I didn't care for though even though it was just for humor.

The translators can go jump in a pit for Frizz and Fizz and Sizz and everything with Izz.

• Upvote 1

They did go a bit overboard there. I don't mind things like Sizz, Sizzle, Zap, Bang, or Boom; but some of the names don't make much sense and it's difficult to know what the spell does just by looking at the name.

The translators can go jump in a pit for Frizz and Fizz and Sizz and everything with Izz.

It would be nice if they put a stop to the puns and name changes already. 

• Upvote 1

You're make it very hard for me to control myself. Very. Very. Hard.

• Upvote 1

Jack of Alltrades is in Dragon Quest IX.  You battle him as the boss, Master of Nu'un, to unlock the ability to change classes.

Ah, I haven't played much of IX. I started it over a year ago, but put it on hiatus until I finish DQ VII.

I wonder, given your experience with Reddit, it's likely you've been punned-out, due to over exposure.  I'm sure, given your personal nature, as you've described, that has likely made it harder to enjoy Dragon Quest on the DS, at least in light of the number of puns.

Pretty much. Though, also part of it is my personally. As I said, I'm hyper-literal, to the point of making socializing difficult sometimes. I often get into confrontations with people because I either misunderstood something or I said something that wasn't phrased well.

Actually LIKING the accents...for shame!  I kid, I like DQ4's as well.  It is a rather unpopular opinion.

I mean, I definitely think they went overboard in DQ4. And I totally understand everyone's criticism of it...I often repeat this criticism. It was really a terrible choice. However, it was kind of unique for those of us who could actually understand the text.

I wonder if the discussion about Dr. Agon went something like this:

PAGuy1: So, what puny name did you come up with for the Zenith Dragon?

PAGirl1: Dr.....wait for it.....wait for it.....Agon!

PAGuy1: What?  Seriously?  You were bored right, couldn't think of anything?

PAGirl1: *sigh, looks bashful* ...yes *meekly, then perks up*, but I gave him a Flanders personality?!?!

PAGuy1: GENIUS!  That should cover that name.

PAGirl1: Well, did you come up with a better name.

*3 hours pass*

PAGuy1: Yeah, we'll leave it at Flanders the Drago...err, Dr. Agon.

I imagine so. That was the first pun that actually made me voice my distaste audibly while playing. Before that, I had enjoyed some of the puns because I wasn't quite so tired of them yet.

We all have different tastes. I don't expect them to localize the game for my particular desires. But I think they can at least try to achieve desire held by multiple members of the larger fandom, which I believe is to have slightly fewer puns.

You're make it very hard for me to control myself. Very. Very. Hard.

I believe that is the theme of this entire thread.

Edited by AustNerevar

Jack of Alltrades is an example of a pun I quite dislike because they forced a name change from Dharma to Alltrades purely so they could make that pun. It stops being creative when you just arbitrarily change names willy-nilly to fit with puns that you want to make. Especially when the names you change are of things that are highly iconic staples of the series like Dharma is. When you start having name changes like that to something silly purely for the sake of a cheap laugh it starts cheapening the overall work, imo. It'd be like naming Loto/Erdrick Hiroan Sestor or something.

Edited by The n00b Avenger
  • Upvote 1

I'm OK with Roto, but Loto is just a gambling game, not a hero name.

I don't mind many of the name's change. I actually think Mortamor is a far better name than Deathmore/Deathtamoor (seriously, Deathmore feels like the name of a bad comics villain... Or a high power DQ Spell).

I could even makes a boint for Nokturnus VS Dark Dream.

And the spell names feels less unrefined as they were before.

Besides having each family of spell following a formulation similar to the Japanese ones (element plus Prefixes/Suffixes to indicate power) is a good idea. Seriously, how do I know that boom, bang and explodet are in the same range, and which one is the best. (is a Bang more damaging than a Boom ? the opposite ?).

Seriously, outside of nostalgy, those names just feels more like actual spell names, which makes the whole world more credible.

However Malroth can burn in hell forever. It's gonna be Sidoh no matter what people says.. It's superior version is GenoSidoh, which is a really fear inducing and badass name.

What makes it so much, is that in DQMJ1 French version., they used a damn burping reference (Roth kinda sounds like the French world for burping (roter) yeah...).

A monster full of gas is more ridiculous than terrifying. 

I love DQVI. It's one of my favourite DQ, with V and VII (haven't played VIII and III yet). Apparently that's unpopular, but it has a great gameplay, and a really original and interresting premise, with the dream and the real world.

Now, let me confess my sin : I'm not really interrested by DQI. DQII maybe, but I have zero intention to try DQI. 

I know it's the ancestor of every DQ, no, very RPGS ever, but what that means is that every other games have vastly improved on it, and playing it now just isn't worth it.

Going through a tedious game just for Fan street cred isn't my thing.

• Upvote 1

Malroth likely comes from Malicious or Malice and Wroth.  It mostly fits.  Sidoh is a romanized Shido.

The name of Roto is supposed to be spelled Roto. 「ラリルレロ〠In Romaji its 「ra ri ru re ro〠In Japanese it's spelled with a R but pronounced like a L. Thats why sometimes a translation, like Roto may be spelled Loto.

ã€€

Jack of Alltrades is an example of a pun I quite dislike because they forced a name change from Dharma to Alltrades purely so they could make that pun. It stops being creative when you just arbitrarily change names willy-nilly to fit with puns that you want to make. Especially when the names you change are of things that are highly iconic staples of the series like Dharma is. When you start having name changes like that to something silly purely for the sake of a cheap laugh it starts cheapening the overall work, imo. It'd be like naming Loto/Erdrick Hiroan Sestor or something.

I couldn't have said it better myself. It's such an insult to go to such lengths just to fit their silly little puns.

• Upvote 1

Or maybe it speaks to their commitment to their work on the localization in coming up with a clever pun? Dharma is a bland name. Alltrades Abbey works as alliteration, something DQ is known for by now in the West. I can guarantee they came up with Alltrades Abbey first, and Jack and Master of Nu'un's names second, as Jack would otherwise be an awful name for a priestly character.

Two things I'll always defend about Dragon Quest in the West: the puns and the alliteration. Adds flare and a touch of whimsy to the journey.

Edited by eal
  • Upvote 1

Absolutely not. There's no way a name like "Alltrades" comes up without the intent to use it in a Jack of Alltrades pun beforehand. Alltrades is a pretty stupid name by itself and is basically worthless without the Jack of Alltrades pun. That's why I dislike it as a name because it exists purely so they could make the pun and have a chuckle about it and doesn't actually stand alone very well as a name.

Edited by The n00b Avenger
  • Upvote 1

Alltrades makes plenty of sense. It's a building where you can change trades, I'm told all of them, in fact. And it's an Abbey. Alltrades Abbey. Dharma Temple is so terrible. 

• Upvote 3

Two things I'll always defend about Dragon Quest in the West: the puns

Ugh, but they use SO many of them. I'm okay with the occasional pun, but they've gone horrifically overboard.

Adds flare and a touch of whimsy to the journey.

Maybe for the first hour of gameplay. The saturation totally dulls any appreciation for puns that one can have.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Platty, where are you? Get your ass over here and back me up, dammit!

• Upvote 1

Alltrades makes plenty of sense. It's a building where you can change trades, I'm told all of them, in fact. And it's an Abbey. Alltrades Abbey. Dharma Temple is so terrible.

Um, yeah. How the hell does a 100% descriptive name "not make sense"? OK, you don't like it. I can see that. It's ok, we can agree to disagree. But "not make sense" doesn't make sense to me because it does completely make sense. Opinion, fine, don't like it. Fact, uh, you're incorrect about not making sense.

Platty, where are you? Get your ass over here and back me up, dammit!

Excuse me for sleeping, master. I will endeavor to be available 24-7 from now on.

And to add my $2.02 (because I'm worth more than 2 cents), I love love love the puns and alliteration and all of it! It's a standout for me. I'm so glad they went in that direction. I'm not playing DQ for hardcore, gritty storylines. I'm playing for fun. And all those are fun to me. I use puns daily/hourly in school. When half my students laugh and the other half groan, I'm glowing inside! And alliteration and rhyming are 2 of my favorite literary devices. I was asked to write a puppet school for school a couple years back. Did a take on the Wizard of Oz and made the Tin Man rhyme all his lines. I loved it. The next year when asked what I wanted to do, I picked Dr. Seuss! 14 pages of single spaced text. All rhymed. Tons of alliteration. Puns to groan at. The 5th graders loved it and loved putting it on for the rest of the school!

DQ is awesome, just have pun with it.

Dragon Quest isn't Doctor Suess...

• Upvote 1

Yeah! Dragon Quest is SRS BZNS

...I like the puns and alliteration and quirky charm.  Makes an enjoyable game even more enjoyable.

Edited by The Mystical One
  • Upvote 3

I really enjoyed all the comical scenes in the series, it helps make the stories a lot more lively.  I hope DQ XI has just as much comedy as VIII and the other respective games.

• Upvote 1

DQ puns, accents and alliteration for life.

Edited by Tiael
  • Upvote 1

Here's my take on the naming schema of spells, the puns, and alliteration:

Every game tries to be realistic, with very few exceptions (see: Earthbound/Mother series).  Even then the writing itself is rather direct.  A pile of puke is literally called...a pile of puke in the Mother series.  A hippie is always a hippie.  Apple Kid is named because he likes Apples.  Orange Kid because he likes Oranges.

So even when games like Earthbound attempt to stand out, they don't necessarily stand out that much.

Then you have some series that attempt to go their own paths by creating quirky naming schemes for various elements, in an attempt to show what a distinct and dynamic language (despite that everyone speaks English or Japanese) can create some odd names due to being on different planets, in different galaxies.  Most notably, Phantasy Star, where spell names are based on their effects (Hewn is a wind spell, for example, and it describes what it does, it hews apart enemies...thou hast been hewn by the wizard), or you have Techs (since spells only appear in PS4 in the entire series and all the spinoffs), which have funky names that are nigh impossible to recall or remember, as their naming scheme has NOTHING to do with anything, except to sound Futuristic.

Dragon Quest, with the puns, quirky names, and alliterations, stands out.  The spell names like Frizz, Crack, etc. all describe the sounds or sound effects of elements related directly to what occurs when such a spell or a type of spell is cast.  It's charming.  I've grown rather fond of them, as I get bored of seeing 90% of all games call a bloody fire spell...FIRE, or Fireball, or Fireblast, or Fire-something-or-other.  Not that I don't just love simplistic and easy to understand fire magic. It makes sense in context with those games.  However, DQ has always been about quirky elements.  Always, even in its darkest iteration in the original Japanese.  Granted, the new naming schemes take this to a whole other level, but it adds a certain dynamic of uniqueness not found in any other series...ever, anywhere, even in other genres.

DQ stands out like a white flag amongst a group of pirate ships.  It's not just "another RPG" with such conventions.  It adds that extra flavour, and while some of it goes over the top, and drives even me crazy, I do still enjoy it, and get a kick out how utterly clever some of the puns, alliterations, and quirky renames really are. How well they fit in with the original story structure and context, fit Western culture, using cultural references, in pun variations, and how well they blend in together as a whole, with the visuals, sound, and the unique way DQ tends to tell stories.  How many writers, in videogames, create stories ripe with elements like rape, incest, murder, sacrifice, rampaging monsters, and yet give just enough subtle hints so adults can really pick up on it, but yet children can get into it without really comprehending and asking daddy and mommy too many questions they would be uncomfortable with?  I can think of one.  The puns fit well with this type of storytelling.  Granted, it does take away much of the more adult elements buried in the narrative, but they're still present, and I find it more enjoyable in the end, as I haven't found any truly dark element reduced to such a state where I cannot fathom the depths and depravity implied in certain scenes.  It really doesn't take away what I feared it would.  The more I've played through DQ6 and 9, the more I realize just how beautifully and artfully arranged and written the localizations are.  They have been well taken care of, on a whole.

Plus, it cracks me the heck up facing a bloody Cruelcumber...and their ilk.  I mean damn, what game offers a scary looking...err, not so scary looking, wolf, named a bloody Bewarewolf?  Not a screen earlier is its weaker cousin, Warywolf.

I don't know, it's funny that the more people attack them, the more I find appreciation in the puns.

Also n00b, sure, one can make the argument that Alltrade's was done to "force" the pun of Jack of Alltrades, but yet, it still fits.  An Abbey and a Temple are interchangeable in style, appearance, and function, with one exception.  Temple's are generally more open and friendly to the public, while Abbey's often require strict rules to grant admission to members not of the order or brotherhood that run it, or the religious faction to which it is a part of.  Even then often Priests have to be granted permission to use an Abbey's resources in the Catholic Church.  That said, the main staging area is typically open to all comers for basic prayer, bringing unwanted, or lost and orphaned children.  So it's not THAT much of a stretch.  It is still a learning area, and one built for studying and developing new "technologies", or religious theological study.  Technologies such as herb development, farming techniques, and in some extreme cases, warrior training.  Dharma, while I do admit, I miss the name, does not work at all...at all, to any degree, based on the implied meaning.  I mean, it's a temple where you learn tradecraft, which fits better for Christian monks than Buddhist monks, who actually DO study tradecraft for the glory of the Church, while Buddhism is about peace.  Granted, there are some Buddhist temples where martial training is the focus, but access to such training individually is just as strict as with Christian Abbey's.  One typically has to join the order.

That said, Dharma principles are more geared towards the spiritual elements of enlightenment in Buddhist philosophy.  So the name, as it's originally granted, is not quite that accurate.  Then again, training is to used against monsters and the vanquishing of evil, which even Buddhism allows.

The place is there to learn "all" as in all available, tradecraft.  So Alltrade's Abbey works, as it is an Abbey where monks teach All the known Trades.  Clearly some require proof of personal quality and commitment to unlock certain trades, but nevertheless, the name fits rather well, like it or not.  It's also benign and open in the meaning, while yet completing perhaps my favourite pun, Jack of Alltrades, Master of Nu'un.

• Upvote 1