That isn't an unpopular idea. Everyone thinks the snes version is better than the DS version. DQVIDS deserved a better first remake.

On this site, yes.  That is not necessarily true.  I think the DS version is superior, and I prefer playing it, but I do agree it should have gotten a better first remake, as the one we had is lackluster in many respects, most notably a lack of new content, and the monster master class.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's your (now un-)secret opinion on something in the DQ universe that you know that the vast majority of other fans just hate or simply disagree with? Here's my 2:   1. First time names = canon.

Yes, she developed very much. She's a well-rounded character.

Yeah! Dragon Quest is SRS BZNS       ...I like the puns and alliteration and quirky charm.  Makes an enjoyable game even more enjoyable.

Iggy's post sums up what I was going to say about 6.  I really liked the DS remake, but they did a pretty poor job adding new content.  Hell, they should have just taken the original game, gave it a face lift, and not worry about adding tag mode features and what have you.

• Upvote 1

DQ 6 is the only one from 1-9 that I have not finished. I don't know why but I just find that game to be so dull and boring. The SNES version never got a "complete" translation (although it is fully playable) and something about the DS version just seems...not fun.

Like others said the game is really fun up til the battle with Mudo and then it just kinda falls apart. I'm waiting for the iOS version to come out so I can give it another shot. I tried the SNES version twice and the DS version once and never cared enough to finish it despite three separate attempts.

Since someone brought up the music, my unpopular opinion is that DQ music isn't all *that* great. It's not bad or anything but I don't think Sugiyama's best music from DQ 1-9 holds a candle to the best of Uematsu's best music from FF 1-9. I feel DQ's music is classic and fits well with the franchise but I certainly have no desire to ever buy a DQ game soundtrack whereas I bought a few FF albums in the past.

Also since Square and Enix merged I am still shocked that we never really got a FF and DQ cross-over game outside one of those Itadaki Street things. I'd love to see a (non-board game) video game cross-over between the two. Although that's not really an opinion; more like an observation lol.

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty

Hmm, as a full body of work, I'd say I prefer Sugiyama.  Taking it game by game, Sugiyama tends to be more consistent imo, in maintaining a specific mood.  Some games clearly more so than others.  I think Noob is overrated, but he IS a good song writer, and he has created some of the most iconic themes.  The difference seems to be in the approach.  Noob comes from a rocker's perspective of writing tracks for individual characters and scenes.  Sugiyama's approach is a more classical take, where it's less about a particular scene as it is about telling a full story and each piece falling in place with one another, like a series of movements in a full symphony.

As a result of this, Sugiyama's work translates very well into a full symphony orchestra, but I can't say I feel the same for Uematsu's music.

So it's different.  I personally think Hitoshi Sakimoto and Yasunori Mitsuda are my two favourite composers (Xenogears I can listen to all day, anyday, even intermixed with any other type of music...it's just awesome, and his work fits well with almost any other game...and I've even switched out the music for other MMO's for remixes, where the only musical author I pick every track from is Mitsuda).  I actually like FF11, 12, 13, and 14's soundtracks far more than the bulk of Noob's work, but, Uematsu will forever get me with FF6 and 9.  Those two games, on the whole, are for me, masterpieces of musical art.  I can't get enough of "Dancing Mad," nor "Protecting My Devotion."  Like I said, he seems to write music based on a particular scene, and those two are just...sublime (the rest of the tracks are great as well, and who can forget "Assault of the White Dragons?").

I also like XBC's composer, Yoko Shimomura.  Then there's the brilliance, but with a similar feel and take on musical design, Koji Kondo (so iconic :) ).

There are a few others, like the composer for Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim...eargasm here I cum.

I'd say Yuzo Koshiro is my favorite Japanese composer. Obviously the Etrian Odyssey soundtracks are great and are his finest work IMO, but his work in ActRaiser, Streets of Rage, the Ys series, his adaptations of Nintendo tunes in Smash Bros, the tracks he contributed to Kid Icarus: Uprising, and many other soundtracks are all fantastic. I love how he uses a classic PC sound system for his music so often.

Yasunori Mitsuda is far and away my favorite Japanese composer.  Uematsu and Sugiyama have had their moments, but I enjoy the sounds of Mitsuda much more.

I pretty much agree with this 100%.

My top 5 favorite game composers:

1- Koichi Sugiyama

2- Hitoshi Sakimoto

3- Kenji Ito

4- Hirokazu Tanaka

5- Nobuo Uematsu.

Uematsu is great. But I think the 4 above him are better. I think uematsu works better in limitation. He hasn't been all that great in the decade or more since he left SE. That said, his work with Terra battle is solid.

On DQ6: apparently the game DID get a full translation, as Dragon Warrior V. But Enix of America shut down before it got released.

My top game composers:

Koichi Sjgiyama

Stewart Copeland

Josh Mancell

Jake Kaufman

Nobuo Uematsu

I forgot about Yuzo Koshiro...  he was my favorite when I was younger, but I didn't even know he was still doing anything.  Maybe I need to pop some earphones on next time I play Etrian Odyssey.  I loved his work on the original Ys, Streets of Rage, and Revenge of Shinobi.  I can still hear it in my head to this day.  I also enjoy whoever did the music for the original FFT, Vagrant Story, and I believe he did the music for Valkyria Chronicles, as well.  I can't place his name, but I think he currently works with Yasunori Mitsuda at Basiscape.

Edited by Griever

I forgot about Yuzo Koshiro... he was my favorite when I was younger, but I didn't even know he was still doing anything. Maybe I need to pop some earphones on next time I play Etrian Odyssey. I loved his work on the original Ys, Streets of Rage, and Revenge of Shinobi. I can still hear it in my head to this day. I also enjoy whoever did the music for the original FFT, Vagrant Story, and I believe he did the music for Valkyria Chronicles, as well. I can't place his name, but I think he currently works with Yasunori Mitsuda at Basiscape.

You should ALWAYS listen to EO's music when playing! Seriously though, Koshiro's work in the series is very good, and it sounds great whether it's the original format or the new arrangements for recent games (such as Untold 1 and 2).

Since we're listing our favorite composers, here are mine in no particular order and my favorite soundtracks from them:

1. Yuzo Koshiro - Etrian Odyssey (all of them), Streets of Rage 2, ActRaiser

2. Koichi Sugiyama - Deagon Quest VII, Dragon Quest VIII, Dragon Quest IV

3. Shoji Meguro - Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, SMT: Nocturne

4. Grant Kirkhope - Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong 64

5. Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy IV, FFVI, FFIX

Honorable mentions are Yoko, Totaka, and the composer for Guilty Gear.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Koji Kondo was mentioned eat. Iggy brought him up in the previous page. You must be ignoring him now too, huh? :P

You can be forgiven for missing two words buried under one of his posts.

NO! YOU MUST PAY THE PRICE, VILLAIN!

Hitoshi Sakimoto is who I was trying to think of.  He did FFT, Vagrant Story, Valkyria Chronicles and many other games.  As I mentioned earlier, he now works alongside Mitsuda at Basiscape, a freelance music studio that is often hired to compose for games.  It would be a musical dream team if they ever collaborated on the same game (they may have already as far as I know).

I'm afraid I don't get that reference, eal. But I am curious about something...

Harry Gregson-Williams.

What games has this guy composed for? His name isn't familiar to me at all, but I'm curious about him and his work.

Oh, and I have an unpopular music opinion: David Wise, composer behind the Donkey Kong Country trilogy on SNES, most overrated song is "Stickerbrush Symphony" from DKC2. I do not care for that song at all, and think it's not as cracked up as everyone makes it out to be.

Every Metal Gear Solid game since Metal Gear Solid 2.

He's also well known for the music in movies such as the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, as well as Prince Caspian, every Shrek movie, Prometheus, The Equalizer, The Town, The Taking of Pelham 123, and so on and so forth.

Every Metal Gear Solid game since Metal Gear Solid 2.

He's also well known for the music in movies such as the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, as well as Prince Caspian, every Shrek movie, Prometheus, The Equalizer, The Town, The Taking of Pelham 123, and so on and so forth.

Wow, quite the repertoire. Well, guess I am familiar with him without even realizing it! That's also pretty cool he's done music for Metal Gear Solid. That one surprises me the most compared to the rest of the list.

Hitoshi Sakimoto is who I was trying to think of.  He did FFT, Vagrant Story, Valkyria Chronicles and many other games.  As I mentioned earlier, he now works alongside Mitsuda at Basiscape, a freelance music studio that is often hired to compose for games.  It would be a musical dream team if they ever collaborated on the same game (they may have already as far as I know).

Can't forget about Breath of Fire V.  Say whatever you want about that game, the soundtrack is amazing.  Not entirely.  Some tracks are weak, but some are very strong.

Let me find a few.

BoF V - Electric Power Building

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xzf_Ey5th8

BoF V - Middle Layer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qMReVnHR3I

Yep, I can honestly say, and this is a repeat from my earlier post.  Of all the composers I listed, the only one where I can listen to ALL of his work, and not just for the games he made them for, but in daily life, and in place of other game's music, is Mitsuda.  I'm not sure why, but he's fantastic, and even his later works are great, though after Xenogears he clearly went into a slight slump in quality (still was quality work though), but bounced back strong.

Hmm, Megalosaro, have you had a chance to listen to Blue Dragon?  Or even the entire Lost Odyssey soundtrack?  Or...or....the AMAZING The Last Story?  While there are some weaker tracks, I'd say those three have some of Uematsu's best work, and I feel it's a consistent growth with each new game, Lost Odyssey being far stronger than Blue Dragon overall, and The Last Story trumping LO, and almost grinding it into the dust of time.

Blue Dragon - Mecha Robo Corps  (this one is a lot of fun to listen to)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFtPxR60Zes

Blue Dragon - CAVERN  (one of the more underappreciated tracks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv2bCvqYcdY

Lost Odyssey - Fire Above The Battle (the first of several boss battle themes, and except for two, I really enjoy all of them.  This especially.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMpov_WHtWg&index=3&list=PLp_nLDzWK5NVySU8f04YibyteCOKKH3zX

Lost Odyssey - Neverending Journey (if I recall, this is the overworld theme):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaCkn9l3Rg4&index=10&list=PLp_nLDzWK5NVySU8f04YibyteCOKKH3zX

Lost Odyssey - World of Ice (only gets better from here...this is certainly one of his most unique tracks, and does a great job capturing the majesty and oddity that is a field of ice):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyS-MfuTJzQ&list=PLp_nLDzWK5NVySU8f04YibyteCOKKH3zX&index=15

The Last Story - Is This The Path Of The Just (feels a little Zimmer inspired, and I really enjoy it...Nob is really altering his approach to composition):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAxw5EYzh2c&list=PL3bgP3wfXlXrqvmCrT4lAOcL2OE9aiKzw&index=2

The Last Story - New Days (I can't place it, but there's a certain familiarity with this track, as though I've heard it before this game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvly-HRGIR0&index=37&list=PL3bgP3wfXlXrqvmCrT4lAOcL2OE9aiKzw

For some fun, and because one can never go wrong with Castlevania, my favourite Castlevania track, Simon's Theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFjPjsQtpGo

Who doesn't love the original, and most iconic theme of themes of the Castlevania series?  I give you Vampire Killer (the number of reworks of this theme reminds me of Doctor Who's theme...what's sad is Chronicles remix is great for every track BUT this one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0w35exSNkQ#

Last one, the only other truly iconic theme found in most Castlevania games, Bloody Tears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshGL3nYpIQ

One thing, beyond the gameplay, that I love about Castlevania IV and Symphony of the Night?  The music.  Chronicles does a great job with most of the remixes, but Symphony of the Night's remixes are sublime, and Castlevania IV is amazing for a 16-bit era game.  Shame Dracula X's poor excuse of an SNES version couldn't follow suit.

Blue Dragon's soundtrack was not bad.   That boss theme was terrible.  Can't believe they got the dude from Deep Purple in to do that lol

Have you heard Sugiyama's anime work?  It's amazing.  His work on Ideon: Be Invoked is some of the best stuff I've heard in my life.  I don't cry often from movies, much less anime, but Be Invoked is probably some of his best work.

https://youtu.be/oiQ3kXHYoT8

Here are a few pieces from the TV show:

https://youtu.be/1b3oaKSjuCU

That is a very powerful opening.

Koshiro is great because the stuff he's done recently is honestly just as good as its ever been and he's been composing for nearly 30 years. Not many game composers can say that.

Two of the best regular battle themes in recent memory and they're both in the same game.

Wait a minute this doesn't have anything to do with Dragon Quest

Oh hell yeah, Faith is my Pillar is one of his best battle themes from the series, along with Shiver from 2 and the First Campaign from 3.

I have to give extra credit to Koshiro for the new pieces he created for Untold 1 and 2. Other than the new random battle theme in U2's new dungeon, the new pieces he wrote still fit the games like a charm. Plus he created FM synth version along with arranged versions, so my hat's off to him for the extra effort.