Little note: Elder Scrolls Online is going F2P soon.

Elder Scrolls Online is actually B2P not F2P.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's your (now un-)secret opinion on something in the DQ universe that you know that the vast majority of other fans just hate or simply disagree with? Here's my 2:   1. First time names = canon.

Yes, she developed very much. She's a well-rounded character.

Yeah! Dragon Quest is SRS BZNS       ...I like the puns and alliteration and quirky charm.  Makes an enjoyable game even more enjoyable.

he means they might drop the subscription altoghether.

It'll still be B2P though, gotta buy the client

I honestly doubt there are enough DQ fans in the US to warrant DQX being successful over here. Not even close. And I'm gonna stand by that statement.

Then by that reasoning, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Disgaea, Persona, Tales of, and any successful Asian MMO should have all done $#!&. Free time, word of mouth, and advertisements are all it needs to do well in a genre that's stagnated from everyone doing the same thing. Plus it's not like it doesn't have any kind of automatic draw what with the rash of new Dragonball stuff coming out.

Yeahhhh I stopped taking that post seriously when you started lumping DQ with Pokemon and Final Fantasy. I'll let someone else tackle that one.

Very easy to lump DQ with Pokemon.

Hell. Shin Megami Tensai really started the whole "Monster Recruiting" deal. Then a lot of RPGs copied that mechanic in some way. Dragon Quest 5 is one. Then Pokemon took the formula to a simplistic vein (( One on one fights )) and it exploded.

So. DQM is a clone of SMT, while Pokemon is a clone of both of them.

Jesus $#!&ing christ....THEY'RE ALL RPGS!! At some point in their life span someone thought to bring the series over for the first time and they all did well, you don't need to already have a huge player base to do well, just be a fun game.

• Upvote 2

DQ is a clone of ultima, which is a clone of dungeons and dragons, which is a clone of beowulf, which is a clone of christianity, which is a clone of ancient myths, which is a clone of stories our ancient alien forefathers taught us, which is a clone of sh fdbzbdbdbdbdbxbcu d iebcirbxbfjru was ich

DQ is a clone of ultima, which is a clone of dungeons and dragons, which is a clone of beowulf, which is a clone of christianity, which is a clone of ancient myths, which is a clone of stories our ancient alien forefathers taught us, which is a clone of sh fdbzbdbdbdbdbxbcu d iebcirbxbfjru was ich

And megalosaro wins the thread!

Breaking my silence real quick:

I think this topic should be added on to the mini series idea.

Anyway... (Casts Evac)

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

MXWpHJhkIDFU4.gif

• Upvote 1

I'm not a huge fan of DQIII. I mean, it's fun and all, but I'd take most of the other DQ games over it. I don't like starting at level 1 when I want a new job class.

I'm gonna have to agree with Platty on that one.  Now I loved the SNES/Super Famicom version of DQIII when I played it, I really did, but honestly I don't see myself ever replaying that game unless it's the SNES/Super Famicom version.  It's not because of level 1 business (though that really annoys me about IX A LOT), it's just a game where the adventure just doesn't wow me.

Oh, I've got another one:

Any future game with job class characters needs to have them with specific appearances/designs like and/or similar to III.  The male and female versions of each respective class have a uniqueness to them that allows you to create their personalities and backstories from scratch should you choose to.

I... like that.

I always liked making Sages from Thieves. Enlightenment and all that.

• Upvote 1

I am disappointed in you Saro. You should know that dungeons and dragons is a clone of Lord of the Rings and that Lord of the Rings is then the clone of Beowulf. Furthermore, while there is some debate on it, at least Tolkien seemed to feel that Beowulf was a clone of pagan mythology and not Christianity. Now as far as the ancient alien forefathers thing goes, their stories were obviously clones from Star Wars.

• Upvote 3

I loved Ultima so much back in the day.  Even though many of the early JRPGs were inspired by it, they actually play quite differently.  Most Ultimas are completely non-linear.  Granted, I couldn't get into the first 3 Ultimas as they were just too archaic for me even back then.  I mean, Akalabeth (many refer to it as Ultima 0) came out in 1979.  That's a year after I was born and I'm freakin' old, mayn!

I loved Ultima so much back in the day.  Even though many of the early JRPGs were inspired by it, they actually play quite differently.  Most Ultimas are completely non-linear.  Granted, I couldn't get into the first 3 Ultimas as they were just too archaic for me even back then.  I mean, Akalabeth (many refer to it as Ultima 0) came out in 1979.  That's a year after I was born and I'm freakin' old, mayn!

I'm still mad about they did to Ultima VIII and Ultima IX after the Classic that is Ultima VII.

Ultima VII is what most people would call the definitive Ultima, and it was excellent.  However, my personal favorite will always be VI.  It's funny how those numbers mirror Final Fantasy.  *sighs*  lol

Oh, and I actually thought VIII and IX were ok.  I played them both through to the end.  They did kind of make unnecessary changes that I will never understand to this day, however.  IX had some of the best graphics I had ever seen for its day...  apparently at the expense of many other things.  I think the newer Elder Scrolls games are what Ultima IX was going for and I consider them to be the true successor to the series.

Edited by Griever

I'm still mad about they did to Ultima VIII and Ultima IX after the Classic that is Ultima VII.

Ha, I was going to say this exact same thing.

Ultima online was pretty sweet. Sadly it has since been ruined.

I was always more of a Wizardry, then Might and Magic fan myself.  Ultima was definitely classic.  Though I preferred 4 to the rest, 7 was a great game.  I don't think I played 6, but given Griever's commentary, I may one day.  I have a full collection, and once I have a new computer, I'll have to find a way to run them on current gen OS.

Elder Scrolls too good. I can sort of see what you mean by that. It is pretty much the only wrpg I like now ultima is defunct

I'm holding my tongue until the next game comes out, Skyrim was boring as hell.