What's your (now un-)secret opinion on something in the DQ universe that you know that the vast majority of other fans just hate or simply disagree with? Here's my 2:

1. First time names = canon. It took me a decade to get into the Dragon "Quest" boat after the "Warrior" one sank. Still miss that. DQ = Dairy Queen. DW = awesome game series. But I've over that. The other ones? Nope. Sorry, there's no monster called Numan or however it's spelled in the DQ universe. It's God. A little white haired & bearded dude who made the world? God. Period. And I don't even know what the hell happened to Cristo and Brey and Flora. That's their names. I refuse to learn the "new" ones. It's all just a scam to sell new merchandise like when players move teams in pro sports and then you need to buy a new $100+ jersey. Haha, OK, like anything in DQ land costs that much. Oh, and we don't have merchandise, do we...? Well, back on topic. New names are ones I'll never use. If they're going to $#!& with Kiefer and Maribel and Gabo, they can just keep DQVII 3DS in Japan!

2. I love the puns. L. O. V. E. them. Like, it's hard to imagine them removing them from the games at this point. I play these games for fun. I have zero emotional investment in the music or the story (beat bad guys, the end) or the graphics. I just want some turn based Slime killing and I want to smile. I use puns all day every day to make my students and friends groan. The fact that my favorite game series became just like me? Awesome!

There you have it. Don't flame me. Don't flame future posters. Don't be afraid to speak out about your unpopular opinions here. This isn't the place to opine about old spell names. You're preaching to the choir. Preach unpopular opinions. And be proud. We'll still love you!

*slinks off to play with metabbles at Swinedimples Academy*

Edited by Plattym3
  • Upvote 3
  • Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's your (now un-)secret opinion on something in the DQ universe that you know that the vast majority of other fans just hate or simply disagree with? Here's my 2:   1. First time names = canon.

Yes, she developed very much. She's a well-rounded character.

Yeah! Dragon Quest is SRS BZNS       ...I like the puns and alliteration and quirky charm.  Makes an enjoyable game even more enjoyable.

Oh, I'm gonna like this thread already. I can tell...

Alright, let me get my opinions out there (hopefully I have the right idea with this topic)...

1) Dragon Quest IX ruined many aspects of the franchise, such as the job class system and the side quests.

2) I liked how many monsters had "Mad" or "Hell" in their names back in the GBC (and prior) translation days, and wish that was a staple in the series.

3) The translated names of monsters from the Dragon Warrior Monsters games are the canon names.  It's not Killing Machine, it's Roboster.  It's not Rotton Egg, it's WonderEgg.  AND IT'S NOT FREAKIN' MORTAMOR, IT'S DEATHMORE!!!

4) Lamia over Ramia or Empyrea.

That's all I got for now.

3) The translated names of monsters from the Dragon Warrior Monsters games are the canon names. It's not Killing Machine, it's Roboster. It's not Rotton Egg, it's WonderEgg. AND IT'S NOT FREAKIN' MORTAMOR, IT'S DEATHMORE!!!

Yes! Yes! Yes! A million times, yes!

Well, except for those names that have been turned into puns.

I like Ramia, Rubiss, and Roto, myself.

And while I don't mind the accents, Square Enix can go Sizz an egg.

Oh, I forgot: it's DragonLord with no spaces in between. It's spelled wrong otherwise.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I agree. Puns are amazing. It adds flavor. Makes the world more colorful. Jack of Alltrades and Master of Nu'un forever!

All right. And awaaaaay we go:

1. Joker 1 is vastly better then Joker 2.

2. Dragon Quest VI is a terrible mess. Milly is the only saving grace.

3. Psaro isn't cool or badass, he's pretty-boy, fangirl fodder trash.

5. Yangus is garbage.

COME. AT. ME.

• Upvote 1

You all crack me up! This is going to make us all smile one way or the other. Either we'll smile knowing there are others out there like us, or we'll smile to think how crazy our Denmates are!

Did I just coin a new term? Denmates?

No... it's "The Dragon Lord". DragonLord is stupid.

The Lord of the Dragons. The Dragon Lord. He turned into a dragon and $#!&ing TOOK THAT BALL OF LIGHT.

I agree. Puns are amazing. It adds flavor. Makes the world more colorful. Jack of Alltrades and Master of Nu'un forever!

2. Dragon Quest VI is a terrible mess.

Word.

No... it's "The Dragon Lord". DragonLord is stupid.

The Lord of the Dragons. The Dragon Lord. He turned into a dragon and $#!&ing TOOK THAT BALL OF LIGHT.

Did you go to "The" Ohio State?

I live in Georgia. The State.

Then the Dragon Lord should have a name. 

Like "Hargon, the Dragon Lord.". :P~

I live in Georgia. The State.

"Lord" it over us why don't you.

God help you all. GUNS AND WHISKEY WOO

(( I actually prefer Jack Daniels, but not a gun kind of guy. ))

On-topic? I do not really like DQVII. It's one of those "THIS IS TOO DAMN LONG" RPGs. It is up there with the TSR series, but the main quests aren't too long in those! 

DQVII TAKES FOREVER AAAAA

Erdrick is a name given as a title. It does come from the name of the legendary hero, after all. It's like being named Junior.

Erdrick is a name given as a title. It does come from the name of the legendary hero, after all. It's like being named Junior.

So like it's Ph. D. or CPA? You can be like Thomas Wilson Smith, Erdrick.

An old buddy of mine is having a son. He couldn't just go with _____ Junior. He's calling him ____ the 2nd. Being the (occasionally) smart-ass I am, I've already just started calling the unborn child Deuce. I've asked if his wife has dropped the little Deuce yet.

Wait, so DQI Hero is like

Loto Loto Loto Loto Loto?

Like four people have posted on here and it's already on the 19th post in 30 minutes.

On topic - we're the coolest 4 fans around. Boom. I said it!

No, it's the DragonLord. No space, Matt. Don't know why you're calling it stupid when the entire point of this thread is for unpopular DQ opinions, and surprise, that's one of my unpopular DQ opinions! Mwa. Ha. Ha. Ha. HA.

And you certainly went there eal, but I don't really care. No Underpants Dance of joy for you though.

• Upvote 1

Roto is the absolute canon. No amount of "Well, I liked Loto more when I was a young'un" statements will make it any more true.