Sign in to follow this  
Alenarino

A way for us to show our support for Dragon Quest to Square Enix

So this thread hasn't been posted in for a while now, but the survey seems to be closed.

I guess we'll see what happens now. Will we see the results? Who knows.

You know, I've said this a lot, but people looking back need to read this too...

We have Dragon Quest 1-5, and 8 on mobile devices. If you have one, you should support the series, for real, and buy one of the released titles.

They tend to be more expensive, with the fact they're all premium titles, but surely you guys can afford $3 on DQ1.

Hell, I have no job, and very little spending money. But I've bought those games. I even bought DQ2, and I hate DQ2. (( I like it better now, but for some reason it offputs me. I can't really put my finger on it. ))

So... do the right thing here. Piracy is not an issue with these. Buy DQ. It won't kill you.

• Upvote 1

I'm a pretty big Devil May Cry fan and Capcom is re-releasing DmC and DMC 4 for PS4 and XB1 to "gauge interest" in a franchise and potentially see it continue.  I was arguing on a different forum that fans should buy the DMC re-releases, both of them, to encourage Capcom to continue to make them.  But someone responded with a statement that hit the nail on the head: "I've already purchased these games.  Why should I purchase them a second time just to MAYBE convince Capcom to make another?"

It's a great point.  I am kind of sick of companies shoving ports, remakes, and re-releases down our throats in a weak attempt to "strengthen the brand" or "gauge interest for a sequel."  The interest for a sequel was evident when I originally purchased the game years ago.  It's a bullcrap move for someone like Square-Enix to say that no one wants a Chrono 3 because not enough people bought the game on the DS.  What about the 3 million people that bought it for the SNES or the 1 million people that bought it for the PS1?

If SE looks at Dragon Quest 4 and 5's mobile sales and decides "guess people don't want more DQ" then that's a load of crap.  The future of a franchise shouldn't be dependent on people not wanting to double or even triple dip on a game.

Now I purchased all the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest mobile ports (and Chrono Trigger!) because I wanted to play them on my phone but I can fully understand someone saying "I paid full price for these games on the Game Boy Color and/or Nintendo DS.  I don't want to buy them for my phone just to 'support the brand' because I do not like playing games on my phone."

I would be pissed if Capcom came out and said "We are not making another Devil May Cry game because not enough people purchased the remastered versions for PS4 and XB1" because 3 million people bought DMC 4 and nearly 2 million people bought DmC.  The demand for the sequel is already proven.  Just because i don't want to give Capcom more money to play the game with a higher frame rate or improved graphics does not mean I do not want a brand new game.  That's just an example because I actually already DmC: Definitive Edition and I plan on buying DMC 4: Special Edition lol. :)

My argument is basing the future of the franchise on a majority of the fan base that don't want to rebuy a game they already own just to show support.  If someone legit paid for the GBC or DS games and didn't just download the ROMs or whatever and doesn't want to play the games on their phone because they are perfectly fine with their GBC or DS versions then I can't really hold that against them.  This practice of companies dangling the future of IPs in front of us like carrots just to get us to spend money on games we already bought is troubling because the re-releases could still sell stupid amounts of copies (Chrono Trigger sold over 800,000 on the DS and yet we never got a Chrono 3) ESPECIALLY since these games already made their money back with their original releases.  That is Chrono Trigger made its money back in 1995 on the SNES and all the re-releases are just further cash grabs.  The future shouldn't be reliant on the fan base purchasing their fifth copy of the game.  I've owned Chrono Trigger on 1) the SNES, 2) the PS1, 3) the DS, 4) the Wii's Virtual Console, 5) the PlayStation Network (for PSP/PS3/Vita), and 6) my iPhone.  Yet no sign of a new Chrono game...

I don't see why they're re-porting the DmC titles, but...

With Dragon Quest (( And ESPECIALLY 1 and 3 )), not a lot of people know what it is.

A mobile version, especially one already done, costs peanuts. I'm pretty sure the title that costed the most to port was 8, and that was due to it being one of the first ports. But with the potential rewards?

Why buy DQ again? Because a lot of people never heard of it. They never bought DQ1, or 2, or even 4 5 or 6. We have parents and stuff buying these, going "ooo. I like that."

's my opinion.

Well I mean if you never heard of it I doubt you bought it before. :)

I'm just saying fans shouldn't feel pressured to purchase a game they already own just so they MIGHT get a new game. You could buy all six DQ mobile ports but that's not guarantee that DQ 7 or DQ 10 will ever make it outside Japan.

I purchased them all because I wanted them on my phone but I can't fault anyone who already paid legitiment money for those games in the past not wanting to buy them again.

And DmC and DMC 4 are getting a lot of extras in the PS4/XB1 remasters so it's not like straight ports.

I'm surprised they didn't have added content to the ported games... like a DLC or something.

I am too, to a point.

They were all done. The DS added content is enough for me.

Now we wait for DQ Heroes and quite possibly never another new DQ game ever (maybe DQXI if we're lucky).

• Upvote 1

We're getting the because of temco.

If DQ V was redone and I won't even go into DQ VIII because I've already made a separate thread for that.   DQ V with post game levels or maybe some added content that would embelish the story and compliment it, I would not have a problem with that.

The iOS/Andriod versions are all cheap ports. I mean they are awesome but SE is clearly not putting much effort into them, especially compared to previous portable releases (DQ 1-3 on GBC and 4-6 on DS). There's literally no new content on any of the mobile versions unless you want to count party chat for the Western DQ 4 iOS lol.

In the case of DQ 3 it actually has removed content because they used the early 2000's mobile port because it was faster and cheaper than developing a proper iOS/Android version.

Even still, amazing we have them.

I -love- 5. Love love love it.

Square E you can tell is run by suits and tie accountants and seem to have very little knowledge about fan base or even seem to care about the fanbase.

I'm a pretty big Devil May Cry fan and Capcom is re-releasing DmC and DMC 4 for PS4 and XB1 to "gauge interest" in a franchise and potentially see it continue.  I was arguing on a different forum that fans should buy the DMC re-releases, both of them, to encourage Capcom to continue to make them.  But someone responded with a statement that hit the nail on the head: "I've already purchased these games.  Why should I purchase them a second time just to MAYBE convince Capcom to make another?"

It's a great point.  I am kind of sick of companies shoving ports, remakes, and re-releases down our throats in a weak attempt to "strengthen the brand" or "gauge interest for a sequel."  The interest for a sequel was evident when I originally purchased the game years ago.  It's a bullcrap move for someone like Square-Enix to say that no one wants a Chrono 3 because not enough people bought the game on the DS.  What about the 3 million people that bought it for the SNES or the 1 million people that bought it for the PS1?

If SE looks at Dragon Quest 4 and 5's mobile sales and decides "guess people don't want more DQ" then that's a load of crap.  The future of a franchise shouldn't be dependent on people not wanting to double or even triple dip on a game.

Now I purchased all the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest mobile ports (and Chrono Trigger!) because I wanted to play them on my phone but I can fully understand someone saying "I paid full price for these games on the Game Boy Color and/or Nintendo DS.  I don't want to buy them for my phone just to 'support the brand' because I do not like playing games on my phone."

I would be pissed if Capcom came out and said "We are not making another Devil May Cry game because not enough people purchased the remastered versions for PS4 and XB1" because 3 million people bought DMC 4 and nearly 2 million people bought DmC.  The demand for the sequel is already proven.  Just because i don't want to give Capcom more money to play the game with a higher frame rate or improved graphics does not mean I do not want a brand new game.  That's just an example because I actually already DmC: Definitive Edition and I plan on buying DMC 4: Special Edition lol. :)

My argument is basing the future of the franchise on a majority of the fan base that don't want to rebuy a game they already own just to show support.  If someone legit paid for the GBC or DS games and didn't just download the ROMs or whatever and doesn't want to play the games on their phone because they are perfectly fine with their GBC or DS versions then I can't really hold that against them.  This practice of companies dangling the future of IPs in front of us like carrots just to get us to spend money on games we already bought is troubling because the re-releases could still sell stupid amounts of copies (Chrono Trigger sold over 800,000 on the DS and yet we never got a Chrono 3) ESPECIALLY since these games already made their money back with their original releases.  That is Chrono Trigger made its money back in 1995 on the SNES and all the re-releases are just further cash grabs.  The future shouldn't be reliant on the fan base purchasing their fifth copy of the game.  I've owned Chrono Trigger on 1) the SNES, 2) the PS1, 3) the DS, 4) the Wii's Virtual Console, 5) the PlayStation Network (for PSP/PS3/Vita), and 6) my iPhone.  Yet no sign of a new Chrono game..

Good point except the DQ games aren't being put out there as a tool to gauge interest to see if more DQ games will be made.  They are quick ports to take advantage of the mobile market.  The West has gotten them because they are cheap and easy localizations and there is at least some interest in DQ here.  What some of us have been arguing is that unless more interest is shown with the DQ games we do get, we aren't going to get much more when it comes to DQ releases.  DQM Joker 2 sold 80,000 in NA.  Is it any wonder we haven't gotten any of the re-makes on the 3DS?  Sales for the 3DS DQ VI were only around 40k.  And that's for a game that never got released in the US previously!  DQ fans seem to be stingy when it comes to buying DQ titles and that's a shame. 

Good point except the DQ games aren't being put out there as a tool to gauge interest to see if more DQ games will be made. They are quick ports to take advantage of the mobile market. The West has gotten them because they are cheap and easy localizations and there is at least some interest in DQ here.

Sadly I think the only reason why we are getting the mobile ports is because they are cheap.

I just don't like the mentality that people must support a company's obvious money-grab to maybe encourage that company to release some of their riskier products.

Buy the games if you want them but I doubt it will affect things in any significant way because the mobile ports are cheap. DQ 7 and 10 are not. They require a hefty investment (relatively speaking).

You're right about the rest of your post though. The DS games sold bad outside DQ 9. Still when SE tried to sell us the inferior versions of the DQM Joker games because they were too lazy/cheap to localize the Professional versions. They released before we even got the standard versions I think (or at least close to our releases; I'm on my phone and don't feel like looking it up right now lol).

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty

Square E you can tell is run by suits and tie accountants and seem to have very little knowledge about fan base or even seem to care about the fanbase.

We don't make them any money... Like less than 100,000 copies of the DS games sold. It sucks. But I understand why we don't have the games. I'm more pissed off at all the stupid people in the mid to late 80's that didn't give the games a chance. Dragon Quest had more depth than most other NES games at the time.

• Upvote 2

I think they sold well, from what I've been able to read. Well enough that we got up to DQ4.

I don't think we got V due to Nintendo's policies involving marriage and whatnot. I honestly can't remember a single SNES game where you got married and had kids. I dunno if Harvest Moon made it here then, but DQV was that game, from what I can remember.

Getting hitched? RELIGION~ Making babies? MAKING BABIES!

Both of those were no-nos at Nintendo of America at the time, if you lot remember. Censorship couldn't save that plothole.

Then DQVI came along, and we couldn't get that out of tune, not when we already got 1, 2, 3, and 4. "Where's 5?" people would ask, and SE would have to point to Nintendo. VI also came out right when we were getting the PSX, and by then, the SNES was sadly, dead. Nintendo was on the 64 by then.

So we got games at the end of the console lifespan. Same thing happened with others too.

People might say "What about FF2-6?" Well, the older of us know we did -not- get FF2 and FF3 on the NES. We also did not get FFV until the PSX era.

We got FF4, also known to us as Final Fantasy 2 SNES. We also got FF6, also known as Final Fantasy 3 SNES. Both had lots of crap taken out due to censorship (( Then, it WAS censorship. )), and whatnot.

So... cluster$#!& much? We get DQ1-4, but not FF2, 3, and 5.

So... think about it. We got more DQ than FF in the NES days! 

Harvest Moon on SNES was the start of it all. Had to get that blue feather to propose marriage to your sweetheart!