Sign in to follow this  
Alenarino

A way for us to show our support for Dragon Quest to Square Enix

Now I remember.  I did a whole coverage on Dragon Quest X and different methods of introducing the game to the US with minimal effort on their part, and on the cheap, as a testing base they can continue on forever, even with very small consistent player bases.  I didn't really focus as much on krw's point over it, with the PC version, as my own, but the same logic can apply.  You can run the game off the Japanese servers first, just create an english patch.  The first major release will clearly be the most expensive, but if the servers are run out of Japan, then over time they can make up that money by not adding on any extra server costs, as they wouldn't be using any new servers.  This goes for the mobile/3DS as much as it does for the PC/WiiU.

It would really set the company up for success, as if it succeeded, and it grew, they could expand to real US servers for the US/EU crowd, with better latency overall, and if it failed, they could just maintain the status quo with Japanese servers, and the cost to keep up with patches wouldn't be that high, that they could easily handle it with a 2,000 player base (I would expect a 10,000 minimum, but having run a server myself for a time, I have an idea of the costs, and they could easily profit from this with a mere 2,000 consistent playerbase running an official English version).

So we'll see, at the end I thanked them, and said I hope my suggestions help paint a positive picture for them, or give them a better sense of direction.

I remember reading an old Quintet executive saying goes he was glad for emulation because of Terra.

Yeah, I really like Quintet.  Those guys worked hand in hand with their US counterparts, and the actual EoA members were part of the dev team for some of their games.

I really wish I was part of that scene directly, back in those days.

Lol hey now im no Jokester. I put in the field about why DQX should come here.  Their honestly is a large population of aging oldschool mmo players like me who long for the old days, simpler days, slower paced days, and cant honestly do the hardcore scene anymore.  I honestly cant do it much longer, its a pain in the ass to adhere to other peoples schedules all the time and having to work 4x harder than the normal player in order to either compete or very least be able to do the cutting edge endgame content and SUCCEED at it. 

DQX is everything I could ask for in a slow paced mmo.  Due to how it handles its gameplay, its endgame content, its leveling.  I can do all the content in it without having to adhere to schedules set by 7 other people, can just pick up 1-3 friends, or player hired A.I and do what I want.  No crazed guild leader yelling at me to do this, no raid leader yelling to do that.  No bashing head on the same boss for 6-9 hours on end 4-7 days a week.  And seriously? They can keep the servers in Japan like ya said.  I honestly dont see much latency difference when I played DQX, it feels bout the same as XI did and XI was more faster paced.  And now with proxy services like WTFast, Battleping, Pingzapper, they allow western support of the game, those services will place DQX on their list, thus eliminating almost half of whatever latency their is.  Seriously, they do not need to place servers outside of Japan for the west to play DQX, they can keep it all there. 

Lol hey now im no Jokester. I put in the field about why DQX should come here.  Their honestly is a large population of aging oldschool mmo players like me who long for the old days, simpler days, slower paced days, and cant honestly do the hardcore scene anymore.  I honestly cant do it much longer, its a pain in the ass to adhere to other peoples schedules all the time and having to work 4x harder than the normal player in order to either compete or very least be able to do the cutting edge endgame content and SUCCEED at it. 

DQX is everything I could ask for in a slow paced mmo.  Due to how it handles its gameplay, its endgame content, its leveling.  I can do all the content in it without having to adhere to schedules set by 7 other people, can just pick up 1-3 friends, or player hired A.I and do what I want.  No crazed guild leader yelling at me to do this, no raid leader yelling to do that.  No bashing head on the same boss for 6-9 hours on end 4-7 days a week.  And seriously? They can keep the servers in Japan like ya said.  I honestly dont see much latency difference when I played DQX, it feels bout the same as XI did and XI was more faster paced.  And now with proxy services like WTFast, Battleping, Pingzapper, they allow western support of the game, those services will place DQX on their list, thus eliminating almost half of whatever latency their is.  Seriously, they do not need to place servers outside of Japan for the west to play DQX, they can keep it all there. 

Hehe, I'm going to be a nitpicky jerk here but it's "there" not "their" ;).  I totally agree with paragraph 1.  I have no stake in the second, as I cannot even experience DQX, yet.  Oh, the second I get a computer that can run it, I will join.  Oh, I will.  Even if it really doesn't ever come here (as I think it will, but I believe it best to play it like it won't).

I've been looking forward to a DQ MMO since the first "claimed" DQ MMO back in 2004, when Enix released some screens of a game that did not look remotely like DQ, and some bad US journalists claimed it was for a Dragon Quest MMO, misconstruing an interview Horii had given a month prior to those photo releases, about reiterating a 2001 interview in his desire to explore online content and mechanics.

Gaaah, that and PSO.  I do miss the simpler days.  Perhaps that's why I find myself so enamoured of replaying older games.  Don't get me wrong though, I love the newer hardcore, but more often than not I really do want to just relax and play a game whose mechanics have a lot more depth, but the inner workings aren't overly complex, and they're easy to master.

Going to your raid commentary.  Oh yes.  I HATE bossy guild leaders.  Always loved the more relaxed guilds, since it's easy to get people to help out or join in on some big quest, but no one is forcing me to adhere to specific schedules.  "You will be at the next GvG or PvP raid or else your position will be replaced...nevermind all you've done for the guild and that everyone likes you...I need people always active or we lose our spot."  I'll take my competition elsewhere thank you.  Though there are times I DO like getting hardcore into that mindset, it's less of a concern and desire these days.

Oh wow, great write up to Square Enix regarding DQX ignasia! I never really thought a lot about the options that they could do to make everything more cheaper. It makes me feel like I should have wrote some suggestions in about approaching X.

One thing I've always felt Square Enix could take advantage of is how many Nintendo 3DS/Wii U owners want more online multiplayer game experiences, releasing an MMO over like DQX might be interesting for those consoles. Especially for Wii U since most owners still want more games for it. Not only that, most Nintendo console owners and Nintendo themselves are constantly praising the fact that their consoles are unique and provide unique game experiences that other consoles usually don't provide, and DQX seems to fit that image as unique for an MMO. Maybe even partner up to make amiibo exclusive features too? Nintendo said they're willing to collaborate with 3rd parties for amiibo. In general Nintendo wants to just collaborate with a bunch of 3rd parties.

I really feel like there are workarounds for DQX. Square Enix is afraid to take a gamble because it's a Dragon Quest MMO, but Square Enix probably feels like they're gonna have to make a huge gamble no matter what when it comes to any Dragon Quest game the way it's been up to this point.

Edited by Charski

Man if Dragon Quest X ever comes here I want to be in a party with Ignasia :heartslime:

Edited by Alenarino

I'm eagerly looking forward to the next Nintendo Direct. :) I cannot wait to see what "Holey Heroes" and "Masters of the Masks" are.

Man if Dragon Quest X ever comes here I want to be in a party with Ignasia :heartslime:

LOL, well, personally I'm not as awesome a gamer as krw or Cranberry are, but definitely.  Much love back.

Oh wow, great write up to Square Enix regarding DQX ignasia! I never really thought a lot about the options that they could do to make everything more cheaper. It makes me feel like I should have wrote some suggestions in about approaching X.

One thing I've always felt Square Enix could take advantage of is how many Nintendo 3DS/Wii U owners want more online multiplayer game experiences, releasing an MMO over like DQX might be interesting for those consoles. Especially for Wii U since most owners still want more games for it. Not only that, most Nintendo console owners and Nintendo themselves are constantly praising the fact that their consoles are unique and provide unique game experiences that other consoles usually don't provide, and DQX seems to fit that image as unique for an MMO. Maybe even partner up to make amiibo exclusive features too? Nintendo said they're willing to collaborate with 3rd parties for amiibo. In general Nintendo wants to just collaborate with a bunch of 3rd parties.

I really feel like there are workarounds for DQX. Square Enix is afraid to take a gamble because it's a Dragon Quest MMO, but Square Enix probably feels like they're gonna have to make a huge gamble no matter what when it comes to any Dragon Quest game the way it's been up to this point.

Thanks man.  I'm hoping that anyone else who reads that before writing in, uses some of those ideas I wrote, since the more a few good ideas spread, the more likely it'll stick, right?

I TOTALLY forgot though, and thanks for the reminder, to mention the nugget about WiiU and 3DS gamers WANTING some bloody online experience, especially in the MMO department, as MMO's are becoming more mainstream on consoles.  Let's face it, DQ as an MMO = fun the whole family can enjoy, and as Alexandrious put it, heck, you can solo the bloody game and or play with friends (it's one reason I LOVE PSO...LOVE IT!), only it's improved upon those solo aspects WHILE helping your own buddies out without needing to schedule a playdate.  How convenient is that?  Damn fine point, and I wish I wrote a rough draft here first, and asked for any other insight and info I missed.

Oh well, hopefully others bring that point up.

Even if Dragon Quest X doesn't come out, I want to be in a party with Ignasia: throw back a few brews, jump off a roof into a pool, and sing '80s songs way too loudly until the cops show up!

Even if Dragon Quest X doesn't come out, I want to be in a party with Ignasia: throw back a few brews, jump off a roof into a pool, and sing '80s songs way too loudly until the cops show up!

Guiness or local!

I've never actually done that.  Sounds fun!  I'm scared of heights however, so I'll have to get plastered, lol, probably fall and eh, kill my character ;).

Sweetness, I'm all for 80's music.  What to start with?  Hair bands, 80's pop (back when pop was still good music), the start of grunge, indie rock, or hip-hop, or even early metal?

You're missing one key element though: girls!  Eh, I mean, WOMEN!  Yes, girls lose their flavour after awhile, being like cheap soda pop mixed with Coors, but a good woman is like vintage wine that gets better with age.

• Upvote 1

I filled out the survey.  I told them Dragon Quest was my favorite SE franchise.  Just for added measure I also said that I haven't heard of any of their games besides Dragon Quest.  Final Fantasy?  What the heck is that?

• Upvote 2

Man if Dragon Quest X ever comes here I want to be in a party with Ignasia slime:

His chat log will kill you.
  • Upvote 2

Iggy WILL be in my party thanks to Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City.  Though in "disguise" as a dual wielding Shogun, he's really going to cut enemies down to size with his dialogue...or at least, that's how I'll envision it. :P

• Upvote 1

Guiness or local!

I've never actually done that. Sounds fun! I'm scared of heights however, so I'll have to get plastered, lol, probably fall and eh, kill my character ;).

Sweetness, I'm all for 80's music. What to start with? Hair bands, 80's pop (back when pop was still good music), the start of grunge, indie rock, or hip-hop, or even early metal?

You're missing one key element though: girls! Eh, I mean, WOMEN! Yes, girls lose their flavour after awhile, being like cheap soda pop mixed with Coors, but a good woman is like vintage wine that gets better with age.

Can I join this party even though I don't drink? Sounds like fun.

I guess the women were implied.  My bad for not mentioning them.  Sure, Erdrick, the more the merrier at our theoretical party!

Sackchief, if it were literally a Final Fantasy, the series would have ended with the first game.  Perhaps it should have been Continual Fantasy, but then you lose the alliteration.  I guess it's kinda like having sequels to The Neverending Story.

Edited by Liamland
  • Upvote 1

I guess the women were implied. My bad for not mentioning them. Sure, Erdrick, the more the merrier at our theoretical party!

Sackchief, if it were literally a Final Fantasy, the series would have ended with the first game. Perhaps it should have been Continual Fantasy, but then you lose the alliteration. I guess it's kinda like having sequels to The Neverending Story.

Actually, it'd be like NOT having sequels to the Neverending Story.

I guess the women were implied.  My bad for not mentioning them.  Sure, Erdrick, the more the merrier at our theoretical party!

Sackchief, if it were literally a Final Fantasy, the series would have ended with the first game.  Perhaps it should have been Continual Fantasy, but then you lose the alliteration.  I guess it's kinda like having sequels to The Neverending Story.

I was totally messing with you man.  LOL, I know full well the idea was some bro time to talk about stories, over some beers.  I mean we had planned to meet up how many times in the intervening years?

Definitely Erdrick.

I just went and confirmed that choosing FF gives you more pages.

I just selected the first option for everything, then chose FF as the favorite series, and then:

"Which FINAL FANTASY game is your favorite?"

Proceeded to complete the page about FF and which I bought and pre-ordered and blah

"You showed a lack of interest in purchasing FF XIII, FF (more I forget :P ) Why is that?"

And then you had options for what you didn't like.

THEN

"Which of the following FINAL FANTASY games have you played?"

Keep in mind, each quote is the top of a page. There were more questions on all but the last page.

After that one, it proceeds to the normal final page.

That is rather sad they ONLY focus on FF.

Good job Square Enix.  Good job!

Wow. Totally Thought that was a joke. Sadly, no.

Same here, I thought you guys were joking as well

Same here, I thought you guys were joking as well

Wait, what are you two talking about?  The extra questions after clicking FF as your favourite series?

Sighs...SE....

Agreed... Not sure why they are still focusing so hard on FF when FF has been officially buried since Hironobu Sakaguchi left. At least Yuji Horii is still the one making Dragon Quest games...

BTW I had no idea that Yuji Horii worked on Chrono Trigger. Never realized that til I googled it now.

Edited by Alenarino
  • Upvote 1

I just went and confirmed that choosing FF gives you more pages.

I just selected the first option for everything, then chose FF as the favorite series, and then:

"Which FINAL FANTASY game is your favorite?"

Proceeded to complete the page about FF and which I bought and pre-ordered and blah

"You showed a lack of interest in purchasing FF XIII, FF (more I forget :P ) Why is that?"

And then you had options for what you didn't like.

THEN

"Which of the following FINAL FANTASY games have you played?"

Keep in mind, each quote is the top of a page. There were more questions on all but the last page.

After that one, it proceeds to the normal final page.

Glad I didn't do that.

I mean they COULD have picked multiple series.

What series are still present and being made?

1) Final Fantasy

2) Kingdom Hearts  <<-I'd bet my bottom dollar this would bring up a slew of new questions as well

3) Dragon Quest <<-seems they forget about this

4) Star Ocean <<-rumoured new game from internal sources coming out all the time, but they ARE remaking SO2 properly, so it still exists

5) Mana <<-we know they're talking about reigniting the Seiken Densetsu series, but official word on how that I'm aware of, so it STILL exists

SE needs special counseling.  Who wants to go in with me to start the Videogame Company Intervention Group?  The VCIG!